Student Days

Started by STREET FIGHTER, May 09, 2021, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Anyone mind vicos or am I too fecking old?

FermGael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 09, 2021, 03:09:19 PM
The burger van outside the Egg/Bot, woke up one morning with two uneaten burgers in my pockets, certain food poison thon spot

Was there a time where the bank links beside the Bot were actually a late night burger spot ?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

APM

I remember being in Vicos. 

They used to talk about the golden mile, from Great Victoria Street, Dublin Road, Shaftesbury Sq, University Road etc.  Long time since I heard that term used and I'll bet the students now are more about the City Centre and the Golden Mile is no longer that golden. 

When I started QUB, the City Centre wasn't really the place to be as it was early-mid-90s - the nightlife there hadn't recovered at that stage and there was no Cathedral Quarter in the way there is now.   In terms of going down the town, The Limelight / Katy Daly's and the odd time to the Crown was as far as you would have got - although Thompsons started shortly after I arrived on the scene.  There used to be the Washington Bar in the City Centre, which I remember going into once in the middle of the day for a few beers.  Remember being in Morrison's all day one Paddy's day.  Chicago Pizza Pie Factory also was there - it was like a novelty place.  A crowd called Direct Action Against Drugs shot someone in there around the time the first ceasefire.

Same craic as many mentioned above; Egg on Wednesday night (middle floor for live music and then upstairs to the disco), Speakeasy on a Thursday for Blackthorn, followed by the Elms (where they didn't sell Guinness, only Beamish - they also had Jenga and an L shaped Pool table) and maybe Lavery's or the the Crescent. Bot became a staple after the first term. Went out most nights - can barely remember staying in for the first couple of years.  Liked the Bunatee in the Union for a quiet beer or the Egg had a pub quiz on a Monday. 

Later on it became more about the Ormeau Road, the Errigal, Pavilion etc.  Plenty of late nights in the city centre then in places like Vicos, La Lea.  If you wanted late night drinking there were some middlin' places in the early 2000s.  You could have got very late night drink in Bittles, Larry's and Rumpoles. There was another spot on Bruce Street called the Venue, which I think I was in once. 

Dukes and Renshaws not bad either.  Ended up in the Orpheus a few times. 

Remember doing a pub crawl, probably in second year.  Went to a lot of bars that I wasn't in before, but went to after. Places like the Rotterdam, Pat's Bar, The Front Page, the Elbow, Kelly's, Duke of York (I think). 

The oddest place I probably drank in Belfast was a Social Club attached to St Malachy's Chapel on Alfred Street. 

SHEEDY

the crescent was a dodgy spot, used to be a pound a drink in there on a thursday night. 5 or 6 of us used to go there before we went to the bot and we always had to make sure we never called each other by real first names, wouldnt have ended well for an oisin or padraig in there.
nil satis nisi optimum

APM

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 09, 2021, 08:29:46 PM
the crescent was a dodgy spot, used to be a pound a drink in there on a thursday night. 5 or 6 of us used to go there before we went to the bot and we always had to make sure we never called each other by real first names, wouldnt have ended well for an oisin or padraig in there.

I never heard of anyone that came to any harm in it.  I was on the top floor of the city hospital once and remember looking down on it, amazed that it ever got a license as it looked like a complete shack.     

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 09, 2021, 05:32:27 PM

Sunday night-  few pints with the house mates...nothing major....

Monday night- Serious RIP in Queens Union, Renshaws or Dukes

Tuesday night- Empire comedy club or Limelight....maybe the night off...

Wed night-  RIP in the Bot

Thursday night- Union or Bot....or preparing to go home for the weekend....before getting ready to do all over again...

All the above mixed in with a bit of day drinking in Renshaws...or wherever

Serious life when you look back at it...

Few nights out in Orpheus and the M Club too.....

SHEEDY

Quote from: APM on May 09, 2021, 08:34:16 PM

I never heard of anyone that came to any harm in it.  I was on the top floor of the city hospital once and remember looking down on it, amazed that it ever got a license as it looked like a complete shack.   
was complete dump, wiped your feet on way out.
nil satis nisi optimum

Hoof Hearted

On reading this and on the WTF thread I'm surprised how you guys are still about to tell the tale
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Tony Baloney

QuoteRemember doing a pub crawl, probably in second year.  Went to a lot of bars that I wasn't in before, but went to after. Places like the Rotterdam, Pat's Bar, The Front Page, the Elbow, Kelly's, Duke of York (I think). 

This made me smile. I remember doing a similar pub crawl in possibly 96/97 as you had to start away down in the Docks to get a proper run at it back in those days. I think we did Pats to The Bot and most in between and the only place we got turned from was Lavery's as one of the fellas was too pished (we all were!). I think it was 17 pints Guinness by the end. I'd be killed by half of it now.

general_lee

Bit of nostalgia
https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/ez8epp/john-calvert-the-crescent-bar-belfast

brokencrossbar1

QUB 1994 -97. First year I went buck mental. Split up with yeh girlfriend the Wednesday of Freshers and went crazy. Fell in with a few lads from the Halls, one lad in particular, who drank wine by the gallon and gin for fun. We used to drink in the Bunatee and Speakeasy an awful lot. Loved rocking into Shine after if I was fit! 

My English friend was in his final year in Philosophy. He was an only child and his parents were quite old. They didn't trust him with money as they feared he would go to the pub so they sent him M&S vouchers. He would get hundreds of pounds worth every few weeks. We would hit M&S in the city centre and fill up with red wine, nibbles, loads of rich tasting stuff and lie out in Botanic Gardens watching the world go by!

armaghniac

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 09, 2021, 09:52:10 PM
QUB 1994 -97. First year I went buck mental. Split up with yeh girlfriend the Wednesday of Freshers and went crazy. Fell in with a few lads from the Halls, one lad in particular, who drank wine by the gallon and gin for fun. We used to drink in the Bunatee and Speakeasy an awful lot. Loved rocking into Shine after if I was fit! 

My English friend was in his final year in Philosophy. He was an only child and his parents were quite old. They didn't trust him with money as they feared he would go to the pub so they sent him M&S vouchers. He would get hundreds of pounds worth every few weeks. We would hit M&S in the city centre and fill up with red wine, nibbles, loads of rich tasting stuff and lie out in Botanic Gardens watching the world go by!

We always knew that you were one of the prawn sandwich types.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

QUB 1994 -97.
Same years. I think we knew some of the same reprobates.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 09, 2021, 10:03:01 PM
QUB 1994 -97.
Same years. I think we knew some of the same reprobates.

Probably Tony, though first year was a wash out. Kept away from GAA till second year but rejoined the Cross senior panel then and the rest as they say is history!

@armaghniac...f**k off!!

charlieTully

I had some serious messy sessions with lads you would know well. University Street was a mad spot.