You've got 1 minute 38 seconds to explain hurling to a stranger...

Started by Eamonnca1, October 07, 2011, 08:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 07, 2011, 09:36:23 PM
Hurling...I love watching it...serious skill involved....howver natural progression will mean that as keepers get more length in their puck outs in 20 years time it will be one a side.
I'm sure the length of puckouts could be reduced if the ball were engineered in a certain way. Maybe some sort of heavier synthetic cork core would slow it down a bit.

imtommygunn

They're both much superior games to any other game about in my view.

Football is probably easier to adapt too but to play either well, in my view, requires the same amount of skill. Hurling at the lowest level is a bad a sight as you'll see but hurling at the highest level is as good a sight as you'll see.

You could say hurling has greater skill but in my view it's much of a muchness. Hurling consists of so many more balls which are more like 50-50 and football requires more movement to get into the spaces and then the skill to hit the pass. On the other hand the skill in hurling is for the guy to get control with less time and space. To me they balance each other out. 

The skillful players in either are a joy to watch. Hurling is moving the same direction as football too with more of a blanket defense look to it than it used to.

seafoid

Hurling is trips cross country to Birr , Limerick and  Thurles.  It's the brand icon that is black and amber .  The Sean Treacy Pipe Band from Moycarkey Borris . It is  the roar of the crowd after the centre half back sends it down the other end of the pitch Seanie McMahon style   
It is Tipperary loudmouths, John Fenton 1984 , the Rackards , daoine I Meiricea ata bfheidir ag caoineadh lathair, hell's kitchen, the rasp of  a caught sliotar in the hand, the green from the grass on the bas of a new hurl. It is balance, technique and what was that phrase, grace under pressure.   It is  young fellas looking for sliotars behind the goals at the county final .  It is being the only person from the tribe in an Dublin office full of football people . It is the Glens of Antrim keeping the faith and  Shefflin and Lory Meagher and the poise of Brian Whelahan . It is Shia rather than Sunni.  It is too fast for football people.  It is Jimmy Cooney's watch and Joe Cooney in the 1990 final.   It is good land and no bog (except in Offaly )  It is all about the swing. It is being hooked.  Something to impress Australians with. It is the sporting equivalent of Martin Hayes and it is den scoth.

thewobbler

Hurling is one of those strange cultural phenomenons like those religious sects you find in the USA.

Those on the inside consider themselves blessed, to be God's people. Those on the outside respedt their dedication, but look upon them in wonderment (not awe). For anyone who willingly spends their free time being chased around a confined space by men with sticks, will always provide an entertaining sideline to the real world.

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 07, 2011, 08:31:46 AM
I made this because with my 5-minute movie I found myself having to fast forward to get to the point whenever showing it on a handheld device. I think this would be more suitable for the "elevator pitch".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgEMvRrOCRI

Very impressive video Eamonn

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on October 07, 2011, 10:11:03 PM
Hurling is trips cross country to Birr , Limerick and  Thurles.  It's the brand icon that is black and amber .  The Sean Treacy Pipe Band from Moycarkey Borris . It is  the roar of the crowd after the centre half back sends it down the other end of the pitch Seanie McMahon style   
It is Tipperary loudmouths, John Fenton 1984 , the Rackards , daoine I Meiricea ata bfheidir ag caoineadh lathair, hell's kitchen, the rasp of  a caught sliotar in the hand, the green from the grass on the bas of a new hurl. It is balance, technique and what was that phrase, grace under pressure.   It is  young fellas looking for sliotars behind the goals at the county final .  It is being the only person from the tribe in an Dublin office full of football people . It is the Glens of Antrim keeping the faith and  Shefflin and Lory Meagher and the poise of Brian Whelahan . It is Shia rather than Sunni.  It is too fast for football people.  It is Jimmy Cooney's watch and Joe Cooney in the 1990 final.   It is good land and no bog (except in Offaly )  It is all about the swing. It is being hooked.  Something to impress Australians with. It is the sporting equivalent of Martin Hayes and it is den scoth.

Quality!

Zulu

Unlike a lot of lads on this board I played as much hurling as I did football but hurling lads dint half talk a lot of shite. I enjoy playing, coaching and watching both games but there is no fundamental difference between them. If you have sporting talent then you can play both games effectively with a bit of practice, it's as simple as that. I love the game of hurling but hurling heads are without a doubt the most full of shit sports people in the world. To listen to some of them you'd think you have to be a mixture of Ali, Usain Bolt, Messi and Ring to even be competent at the game and it seems many unfamiliar with playing believe this. Well it's bullshit and I've played with many lads who were excellent hurlers but decidedly average at other games.

Hurling is a great game but it's not superior to all others. If you think it is that's your opinion only and anyone who says different is just the sporting equivalent of a berre wearing twat jazz fan telling us to listen to the notes theiy're not playing.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Zulu on October 08, 2011, 12:55:09 AM
Unlike a lot of lads on this board I played as much hurling as I did football but hurling lads dint half talk a lot of shite. I enjoy playing, coaching and watching both games but there is no fundamental difference between them. If you have sporting talent then you can play both games effectively with a bit of practice, it's as simple as that. I love the game of hurling but hurling heads are without a doubt the most full of shit sports people in the world. To listen to some of them you'd think you have to be a mixture of Ali, Usain Bolt, Messi and Ring to even be competent at the game and it seems many unfamiliar with playing believe this. Well it's bullshit and I've played with many lads who were excellent hurlers but decidedly average at other games.

Hurling is a great game but it's not superior to all others. If you think it is that's your opinion only and anyone who says different is just the sporting equivalent of a berre wearing t**t jazz fan telling us to listen to the notes theiy're not playing.
good post
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Milltown Row2

Played senior hurling for over twenty years, played last game for the seniors a few weeks ago. We were missing a few ;) played senior football when finished minor, was doing ok but didn't commit to it and played for the reserve teams for over twenty years also  but concentrated on the hurling.

My judgement is based solely on my experience. I enjoyed playing both, but preferred hurling. I think if you haven't played both then it would be difficult to criticize either sport. Imo 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 08, 2011, 09:00:24 AM
Played senior hurling for over twenty years, played last game for the seniors a few weeks ago. We were missing a few ;) played senior football when finished minor, was doing ok but didn't commit to it and played for the reserve teams for over twenty years also  but concentrated on the hurling.

My judgement is based solely on my experience. I enjoyed playing both, but preferred hurling. I think if you haven't played both then it would be difficult to criticize either sport. Imo

What, all the arm chair "experts" then who have never played any sport then cannot be critical of them?  A lot of our boys on here then wouldn't be able to post anything :P.

The reality is that the skills for both sports are not comparable. For instance catching a high ball, there are too many variables that make it impossible to compare. Just enjoy both games and realise how lucky we are to have the best games in the world. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 08, 2011, 10:53:39 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 08, 2011, 09:00:24 AM

What, all the arm chair "experts" then who have never played any sport then cannot be critical of them?  A lot of our boys on here then wouldn't be able to post anything :P.

The reality is that the skills for both sports are not comparable. For instance catching a high ball, there are too many variables that make it impossible to compare. Just enjoy both games and realise how lucky we are to have the best games in the world.

Aye right enough, but seriously if ya played it at any level and were decent at it then its a game that, when played well, is a sight to behold. I will miss it, I wont be lining out next year for the team :'(. The beer belly league will do me on a Monday nights but won't be the same.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sans pessimism

so long as you enjoy playin, it doesn't matter which you play
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Eamonnca1

Personally I prefer to watch hurling but I enjoy a game of football if I have a team to support. I would never disparage any sport though, they all have their points. Even soccer has its appeal, what it lacks in scoring it makes up for in suspense. What American football lacks in continuity it makes up for in the interesting way the game unfolds like a board game. I'm sure even cricket has its appeal to those who follow it, I'd probably enjoy it too if I knew more about it. It's all sport, it's all good, and there's no need to rub anybody up the wrong way by claiming that your own favourite sport is "better" than his.

Jell 0 Biafra