Social Media (the good and the bad)

Started by illdecide, April 27, 2023, 09:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Things I don't understand about 6-county Twitter.

1. What sense of fulfilment / enjoyment / value can any single person get from replying to every last thing they read with a whataboutery Tweet?

2. Why is there an endless supply of people in the wee six who invested in this pursuit?

imtommygunn

Agreed. Your life will be a better place when you don't have to view that bigotry and bile . (and self promotion looking for attention).

J70

This board is my main online venue for discussion. I'm on FB but rarely post there, only view or read - my wife does all the family stuff. Same with Instagram.

Have never had a Twitter account. Only time I really use it is if I need to track a Donegal game.

LeoMc

The bad: I just saw a warning from Police about people sharing inappropriate images from todays crash on the A5 where 3 more people lost their lives.
My young lad came home from school and was fit to tell me someone had been decapitated.

From the Bunker

Gaaboard when it originally came along was such a breath of fresh air. It was great to get local opinions for local lads who knew the game in their area, who went to games and knew exactly what was going on, on the ground.
Before this we were left to an array of bluffers in the national media who hopped in and out with no real knowledge of anyone other than their own county and the strong teams. Sadly this forum is no longer as strong as it used to be. But still a better place to go to than a Spillane, O'Rourke or a Brolly column.

Eamonnca1

Forums like this remind me of the internet as it was in the 1990s. It was a different vibe back then, still new and experimental. There was a novelty feeling of posting something on a web page and seeing it up there for all the world to see. The Virtual Irish Pub was my first experience of it. Good times. Plenty of slagging, but some of it was mean-spirited though. I remember being shocked the first time someone said something nasty to me online, but I suppose it's one of these things you get used to.

StephenC

Use Twitter daily as my customised newsfeed - I never post, just read. The single best thing about it: if you don't like what someone is saying then unfollow/block them; don't like a certain topic, then mute it. Honestly the people who get the most annoyed about twitter are the ones who go searching through replies for things to be annoyed about. Had a facebook account but deleted it a few years ago as my relatives are boring.

general_lee

I like Twitter and social media in general because you can get news and current affairs from different sources rather than relying on the British media. You can also instantly mute or block accounts you don't like. Also great for score updates from club matches if you're sweating on an accumulator

Eamonnca1

My FB feed has improved since I've left groups that weren't very good, or blocked people that were annoying. The comments under any Irish Times posting can be depressing, so I sometimes go in and do some mass blocking of negative nellies who complain about everything no matter how positive it is. I definitely block the racists, but not before reporting them and earning them a few days in FB jail.

Tony Baloney

Check Facebook but never post. Twitter can be as good bad as you let it. If you seek out shite you'll find your fill. I use it for the things I'm interested in and that way my blood pressure remains low. Infrequent user of Insta. Not sure who is on it other than posers.

illdecide

The only way to stop majority if t is a real name on the accounts and it having to ve virified before account is set up...I know that would never happen but in theory that would be the end of any bull sh1t...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Mourne Red

Twitter and Tik Tok (If you can count it) only social media I use.. Twitter mostly just for Sport, can't be arsed with politics on it so have anyone and everyone who's a mouth piece in the Wee 6 muted or blocked. Better for your sanity if you do that.

Don't be on it as much as I used to be, COVID/Lockdowns was on it a lot, maybe at night before bed see what's happened that day -  Has fell by the wayside past year with being back in the office and getting out & about with the other half and wee one. Feel better for not being on it too

Taylor

Quote from: Mourne Red on April 28, 2023, 03:50:09 PM
Twitter and Tik Tok (If you can count it) only social media I use.. Twitter mostly just for Sport, can't be arsed with politics on it so have anyone and everyone who's a mouth piece in the Wee 6 muted or blocked. Better for your sanity if you do that.

Don't be on it as much as I used to be, COVID/Lockdowns was on it a lot, maybe at night before bed see what's happened that day -  Has fell by the wayside past year with being back in the office and getting out & about with the other half and wee one. Feel better for not being on it too

Exactly this - instead of giving them oxygen, which people who reply seem oblivious to

Wildweasel74

Don't use twitter, tik tok.Instagram. Nosey at new feed on Fb but don't post. Leave my ranting to here. Miss Ole, Fearon rants, ended up with us getting Bomber Destro and his aliases since. On here fine, but the American politics section, it's impossible to have a decent conversation. Better it just been closed.

Captain Scarlet

Facebook is a mad house if you want to engage in any news or politics. But if you use it as a community noticeboard and share some nice family bits it's garnd.

Twitter is great for news and sport, but if you are an activist you will see it described as a 'hellsite'. A lot of the time people are arguing with bots. There are some awful # trending at times and then you look at the tweets and they are thousands of people using it saying how awful it is said # is tredning - they are making it trend but don't have the cop to see it.

TikTok is for the kids and there are some very funny creators in fairness.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.