Any of you fellas ever play Aussie Rules ?

Started by SuperMac, June 08, 2007, 01:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperMac

If you did, what's your opinion on it. I mean, in all honesty, is it a better game than Gaelic ? And when played by ordinary amateurs who play for the local town, estate, village, whatever is it just the same as playing Gaelic. I mean, I'm sure the average Joe doesn't play it like, well to be honest, the thugggery we seen at the last series of matches between Ireland and Australia.

BallyhaiseMan

Theres an Irish League . http://www.arfli.com/
and the Irish international Aussie Rules team won the world cup a few years ago.

I dont think its a better game than Gaelic,
But it would be probably my joint second favourite ball game alongside American Football.

Stranworst

isourboydownyet

had a few trials with carlton and mel demons when i was 18 or so,have to say i injoyed it but still not as good football

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: isourboydownyet on June 08, 2007, 04:09:53 PM
had a few trials with carlton and mel demons when i was 18 or so,have to say i injoyed it but still not as good football

do we have a former Ireland Under 17 international rules player in our ranks?  ;)

isourboydownyet

long before that ballyhaiseman was around the same time big antony went out there and he decided to give it ago

BallyhaiseMan

ah thats cool mate.

The Fitness levels of the AFL is amazing.There was a good article posted on here before,about how superior their fitness and recuperation were found to be compared to the English Premiership sides.Some Coach attended fitness training at Fullham(i think) and an AFL team.He Finished a so called pack run near the front at Fullham
But was struggling greatly to keep up with all the Players at the AFL team.

isourboydownyet

pre season trainning is a killer,even back then in the early 90's they were far more advanced than you top county team,they were big into stretching and flexability and they were the first to introduce plyrometrics to me.

hitzelsperger

afl players are the fittest team players in the world, some of the followers (running machine) on the teams cover near 20km per game...big emphasis in afl is sprint endurance, the ability to keep on running hard for the whole game! pre-season is torture and allows players to see out games comfortably...alot of ppl see afl is messy and very little skill,watching it played at top level is first class and international rules showed that players like ryan o'keefe and aaron davey could walk on any inter county team in the country easily

SuperMac

Yeah, but what about the rough and tumble of an ordinary club match ? Is it just like Gaelic or rougher. And is an ordinary club match the same length as the professional game ?

Aerlik

I trained and played with a team in Broome, Western Australia three years ago.  Mind you I was 37 at the time so the auld fitness wasn't as crisp as my youth in Derry.  However, I really enjoyed the training drills.  The games I played in were tough with the hits you take and expected to give a bit harder (!) than what I am used to in Gaelic.  Gaelic Football is by far the more skilful, however footy wins hands down for fitness.  One of the key elements of footy is never to let the ball coming to you bounce if possible.  I agree with the earlier poster if we could get the Davey brothers playing for Derry, we wouldn't need the Bradley brothers.  They are two very, very fast lads.  I'm surprised the Australian Olympic Committee hasn't approached them.

Essendon beat West Coast Eagles last night by a point, the second week in a row they won by that margin, beating the Swans last Saturday.  If Freo win tomorrow then they are only two games behind the Eagles.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

hitzelsperger

my eagles beaten again, they have went off the boil as past few weeks...hopefully they'll come good again come the business end of the season! Need Judd and Kerr to lead them...Aerlik ur right about the Daveys, them two boys can run like the wind, exciting as frick to watch them in full flight leaving boys trailing in their wake! the shepards in aussie rules are prob the most dangerous aspect of the game, if you havent got your wits about ya, you can get blind sided very handy, losing the top row in the process!

thejuice

See Setanta scored a couple for Blues when they beat Adelade. dont know if he played that well but at least he got on the scoreboard
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016