The N Word

Started by Kerry Mike, June 08, 2007, 12:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 08, 2007, 01:04:00 PM
QuoteDouble standards exist but people do it, I really wish that the next time a British rapper uses it that he/she is casitgated for it too.

Do rappers really use the word "nigger" though?  Somebody explained to me before that they use the word "nigga" which despite sounding more or less the same is not offensive and has a different sort of meaning.  Most rap songs use that word, and it seems to be accepted.  Thats how it was explained to me.

Hey Galway boy had she really said the second word you mentioned rather than the first she would still have been in trouble and kicked out. I dont really watch that crap normally actually hate BB, but happened to watch it last night coz of all the fine young ones when I was flicking through the channels. However I read in the paper today one of the Black girls where using the word also, and she said she could use it because "I am a "N" that girl should have been kicked out too, because in a way that is discriminating on the base of race & big brother is breaking their own rules.

full back

She was wrong to say it on the show without doubt.
How the fcuk can she expect to say something like that after what happened on the celebrity version. It goes to show how stupid/naive she was to say it and expect nothing to happen.
In her defence mind you I dont think she was being nasty at all, just trying to fit in & act like she knows street talk etc.
The producers on the show must have rubbed their hands when they heard it mind you, a ratings winner & a chance to make up for the last fcuk up.
That b4stard Charly said it didnt bother her, then proceeded to talk about it all night long & mention it to other people - 2 faced fcuker

pintsofguinness

maybe all the women should be kicked out after running after the man the other night trying to remove his shorts. if it was 5 or 6 men running around after a girl trying to remove her clothes  it'd be sexual assault.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

SammyG

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 08, 2007, 01:31:45 PM
maybe all the women should be kicked out after running after the man the other night trying to remove his shorts. if it was 5 or 6 men running around after a girl trying to remove her clothes  it'd be sexual assault.

Correct (agreeing with you is getting to be a habit ;)). I wasn't watching it but my missus called me in, when it happened. She couldn't believe they got away with it and said the same as you, if it was a ganag of men chasing a woman it would be a police matter.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 08, 2007, 01:13:17 PM
QuoteDouble standards exist but people do it, I really wish that the next time a British rapper uses it that he/she is casitgated for it too.

Do rappers really use the word "nigger" though?  Somebody explained to me before that they use the word "nigga" which despite sounding more or less the same is not offensive and has a different sort of meaning.  Most rap songs use that word, and it seems to be accepted.  Thats how it was explained to me.

Hey Galway boy had she really said the second word you mentioned rather than the first she would still have been in trouble and kicked out. I dont really watch that crap normally actually hate BB, but happened to watch it last night coz of all the fine young ones when I was flicking through the channels. However I read in the paper today one of the Black girls where using the word also, and she said she could use it because "I am a "N" that girl should have been kicked out too, because in a way that is discriminating on the base of race & big brother is breaking their own rules.

Ahh but you see thats seen as ok in society, everyone is so worried about insulting black people that no one takes any notice what is said to white people.  Do you think if one of the black girls were to call one of the white girls a "craker" anyone would take as much notice.  Not a chance.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 08, 2007, 01:48:30 PM

Ahh but you see thats seen as ok in society, everyone is so worried about insulting black people that no one takes any notice what is said to white people.  Do you think if one of the black girls were to call one of the white girls a "craker" anyone would take as much notice.  Not a chance.

A its like if I called you a "Heron Choker" or a "Sham" nobody would notice   :D

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 08, 2007, 01:52:22 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 08, 2007, 01:48:30 PM

A its like if I called you a "Heron Choker" or a "Sham" nobody would notice   :D

Well "sham" is used among some of my friends as a term of endearment. :D  I dont know what the hell a Heron Choker is though? ???

down22

QuoteAhh but you see thats seen as ok in society, everyone is so worried about insulting black people that no one takes any notice what is said to white people.  Do you think if one of the black girls were to call one of the white girls a "craker" anyone would take as much notice.  Not a chance.

I agree. White people are so hard done by. I mean they're barely represented in Irish Sociey (newspapers/sport/politics/business/etc).There's a good reason that people are worried 'about insulting black people' - years and years of discrimination.

But I do agree that racism is wrong coming from any race. If a black person were to use a racist term on big brother, I'd say Channel 4 would be forced to take action. And I guarantee people would notice.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: down22 on June 08, 2007, 01:56:40 PM
QuoteAhh but you see thats seen as ok in society, everyone is so worried about insulting black people that no one takes any notice what is said to white people.  Do you think if one of the black girls were to call one of the white girls a "craker" anyone would take as much notice.  Not a chance.

I agree. White people are so hard done by. I mean they're barely represented in Irish Sociey (newspapers/sport/politics/business/etc).There's a good reason that people are worried 'about insulting black people' - years and years of discrimination.

But I do agree that racism is wrong coming from any race. If a black person were to use a racist term on big brother, I'd say Channel 4 would be forced to take action. And I guarantee people would notice.

I dont think as much notice would be taken.  Racism is wrong from any angle, what ever race you are.  Black people may have endured many years of discrimination but that dosnt give them any right to discriminate against white people.  What your one said on BB was wrong, she has paid for it, but to be honest I dont think much of anyone that takes part on Big Brother and I cant believe that that story is on the front page of one of our national newspapers.  Surely there is more important things to worry about.

SammyG

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 08, 2007, 02:02:15 PMI dont think as much notice would be taken.  Racism is wrong from any angle, what ever race you are.  Black people may have endured many years of discrimination but that dosnt give them any right to discriminate against white people. 

Can you tell me one example where a black person would be able to discriminate against a white person?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: SammyG on June 08, 2007, 02:05:42 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 08, 2007, 02:02:15 PMI dont think as much notice would be taken.  Racism is wrong from any angle, what ever race you are.  Black people may have endured many years of discrimination but that dosnt give them any right to discriminate against white people.

Can you tell me one example where a black person would be able to discriminate against a white person?

Words such as Cracker, Cracka etc seem to be ok, while using words like nigger are seen as wrong.  Both words are wrong.  Shows such as Miss Black America.  If Miss White England etc was set up do you not think there would be uproar?

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 08, 2007, 01:55:26 PM

Well "sham" is used among some of my friends as a term of endearment. :D  I dont know what the hell a Heron Choker is though? ???

A Heron-Choker is someone from Galway City area. It has a similar backround to why Castlebar people are called Fish-Heads.

Heron-Choker: In times past when starvation hit Galway City, people used to go down to the sea or the canals/rivers in & near the City, catch Herons & choke them to death & eat them.

Fisheads: are what Covies(Westport people) call Castlebar people because during the famine you could not fish in the rivers or lakes because it was poaching, but you could fish at Sea. Westport had plenty of fish from the Sea & had the generous Lord Sligo(Browne Family) as Landlords so they had food. Castlebar was Inland & had the Notorious Lord "the Exterminator" Lucan (Binghams) as its Landlord. Castlebar & its surrounding parishs/townlands where among the most devistated by the famine & evictions {explains why local man Michael Davitt set up the land league in Castlebar}. Well back to the story, Castlebar merchants used to go to Westport to buy fish, local fishmongers/fishermen would sell the body of the fish to the fish-knowledgable Covies, sell the tails for animal feed & the heads to Castlebar people who where too hungry to care & probably did not know anyways. Castlebar is here to this very day thanks to FISHEADS.  8)

SammyG

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 08, 2007, 02:08:11 PM
Quote from: SammyG on June 08, 2007, 02:05:42 PM

Words such as Cracker, Cracka etc seem to be ok, while using words like nigger are seen as wrong.  Both words are wrong.  Shows such as Miss Black America.  If Miss White England etc was set up do you not think there would be uproar?

That didn't answer my question but any way. Things like Miss Black America, or the BBC Asian Network were setup precisely because black and Asian people were under- represented. There already is a Miss White England, they just call it Miss England.

Gabriel_Hurl

SammyG