Would you claim without injury?

Started by supersarsfields, July 21, 2010, 02:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were involved in an accident and was not injured would you still consider claiming for injury?

yes
no

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 21, 2010, 03:16:06 PM
Years ago I knocked a young lad down on a bike. The bike was wrecked and he went over the bonnet of my car. All my fault and the f**ker coming in the opposite direction who waved me on.Anyway I picked him up off the ground he was a bit shaky and he opened his month, a bleedin dub howayaa, I immediately assumed compo claim. I dropped him home somewhere In Talllaght. The following day I got the dreaded call, his bike was wrecked and he wanted a new one. His was a piece of shit but he wanted say 150 punt. I happily bought it for him and never heard from him again. Made me think twice about judging people by where they are from.

You got lucky so,I would probably have dropped him like a hot shite back onto the ground and then got into the car and reversed over him just to be sure....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

not a chance. It's just low.

I'd only consider claiming if I was off work for months or something with an injury.
Minor injuries or something that was partly my fault (i.e. tripping or falling) I wouldnt bother at all either.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on July 21, 2010, 07:10:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2010, 02:43:10 PM
Absolutely not. We've all seen people who've 'worn the collar' to get a few bob, but in my opinion it's no better than theft.

It is theft. No way.

I would be everything I hate if I did that.
A car crashed into the back of Mrs Bs car there last year and the solicitor dealing with her claim for repairing the car absolutely hounded her to go for a personal injury claim on the premise that it is better to claim now just in case you don't feel the after affects for a number of years. He rang umpteen times and even made an appointment with her in some injury clinic in Craigavon Area Hospital (I assume he has some doctor on a retainer). I can see how people would go for it as it's essentially seen as a victimless crime.

However, I wouldn't and the reason is I was involved in an accident seven years ago which was my fault and left both cars mangled and the passenger in the other car had some minor ankle injuries. They could have gone to town but claimed only repairs to their car. The peelers told me I was lucky I crashed into some respectable people. They were right.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 21, 2010, 07:31:13 PM
Absolutely not. We've all seen people who've 'worn the collar' to get a few bob, but in my opinion it's no better than theft.

It is theft. No way.

The missus rammed from behind there last year and the solicitor dealing with her claim for repairing the car absolutely hounded her to go for a personal injury claim on the premise that it is better to claim now just in case you don't feel the after affects for a number of years. He rang umpteen times and even made an appointment with her in some injury clinic in Craigavon Area Hospital (I assume he has some doctor on a retainer). I can see how people would go for it as it's essentially seen as a victimless crime.

However, I wouldn't and the reason is I was involved in an accident seven years ago which was my fault and left both cars mangled and the passenger in the other car had some minor ankle injuries. They could have gone to town but claimed only repairs to their car. The peelers told me I was lucky I crashed into some respectable people. They were right.
:P
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 21, 2010, 07:31:13 PM

It is theft. No way.

A car crashed into the back of Mrs Bs car there last year and the solicitor dealing with her claim for repairing the car absolutely hounded her to go for a personal injury claim on the premise that it is better to claim now just in case you don't feel the after affects for a number of years. He rang umpteen times and even made an appointment with her in some injury clinic in Craigavon Area Hospital (I assume he has some doctor on a retainer). I can see how people would go for it as it's essentially seen as a victimless crime.

You're getting worse!

pintsofguinness

Must be ten years ago I was reversing out of a parking space, crawling and tipped (and I mean tipped) a car I didn't see.

this absolute bitch jumps out of the other car screaming that I could have killed her, killed the children blah blah - there wasn't even a mark on the car.  A good five minutes she stood screaming at me, I was in shock! My passenger jumps out and says something to her about there not even being a mark on the car and would she not move it and she threatened to call the police because we were "cheaky" to her  :D  :D   :D I hadn't said anything!  It was a busy street, around 5 oclock too, and she wouldn't move the car - "you don't move the car after an accident"  ??? So we stood there until she got a load of abuse from people she was holding up.  Eventually she got on the phone to what I assumed was her husband and he must have told her to get the car moved.  She took down my number plate and eventually fucked off.

Never heard anything more about it - either the husband had a bit of cop on or she wrote down my number plate wrong.

What a cow though.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyssam5

Got rear-ended by a drunk old skank at a red-light about 5 years ago. Did not seem all that bad, but car ended up being totaled with a bent frame. Her insurance gave me a fair enough offer for the car so I was happy with that. I was sore for a day or two. Once she went to court, lawyers must get access to the name and address of the people in the accident, I was plagued with offers from dodgy lawyers and sketchy injury clinics/physios. I was tempted I have to admit, but you'd want to be unemployed to have the time to go to the clinics, pursue the claim etc., no wonder it's really a full time job for some people. I did take half a day off work though to go to court and get her sentenced. A week in the big-house, $1200 fine and year ban - nice! She only blew a .09 as well (limit .08), which just shows you the variation in ways drink can affect people, because she was absolutely wasted, fell down during the sobriety test (USA style baby-steps one). I reckon she was on a fair bit of prescription medication too.

About 2-3 years later I was in agony with a messed up neck and back for about 4 months. I'm fairly sure it was because of really bad ergonomic set up and working with my laptop on the couch, too much time on gaaboard etc. but I did wonder if that prior injury had anything to do with it. Doctors were absolutely no help with the back/neck situation, so it shows how easy it would be to fake, I was in bits and they can find nothing physically.

ONeill

The wife crashed into the back of a motor. In was a passenger in her car and claimed off her. Got a couple of grand and bought her a bunch of flowers. Drank the rest.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

JUst retired

Winsamsoon.I heard tonight that was you who fell into the pool last week :) You should be sober in the mornings. ::)

winsamsoon

Afternoon session it was big lad and i didn't fall in it was flying with style lol
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

JUst retired

wellll, what does the bottom of the pool look like? :)

Alco Pup

Last place I worked in, I was the accountant there.  Maintenance guy borrowed one of the company cars to go and pick up some parts.  On the way back he was in an accident - not his fault - and had some damage done to the car.
When he came back to the office and told me (I had to contact the insurance company), being genuinely concerned I asked was he ok.  He said "Aye I'm 100%, just a bit shook up"  I just said to mind himself as whiplash could still set in.
Next day asked the same thing, and he was still injury free.

Insurance company following it up a few weeks later asked if he was going to put in for personal injury.  Knowing that he was not injured I asked him anyway. His response?
"Fuc&ing hell yes of course.  I have a deposit an all done for a new bike off the back of this".

David McKeown

I clipped a car in Belfast about 6 months ago when a bus tried to turn into my lane ( must have been in his blind spot). The only thing I hit was my wing mirror against hers. No damage to either car but I stopped and got out. She said she was fine so we swapped numbers anyway. Next week she rings and and says "I was talking to my husband there and now my necks very sore. Are you going to make me an offer you moved my car about 6 foot." I refused and gave her my solicitors details. She's never been in contact.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

delboy

Got pranged a couple of weeks ago, someone ploughed into the back of me, the neck was sore for a day or two but it cleared up so im happy enough getting the car fixed.