Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Could have done with the extra two games as well, especially a rematch with a team like Derry. Good preparation for Tyrone. Wicklow it is though, not ideal but we can't afford to take our eyes off this one.

Itchy

As crazy as this sounds, Mickey Grahams head could be on the chopping block in a months time as I have no doubt now Tyrone will hammer us. What happened today is simply inexcusable. I saw a bnch of lads prancing around the pitch for 30 minutes at the start like lads that thought they were too good to be on the same pitch as Wicklow and then the next 30 mins a bunch of brainless clowns with no idea how to break down an extremely averagely set up blanket defense. Slow, sluggish and brainless is how I would describe that display.

Wildweasel74

Tyrone no great shakes the day

Look-Up!

Very disappointing result today but not unexpected TBH. There's no more excuses to hide behind either, if anything we were in the weaker section of the Division.

Where to from here? Simple answer, Tyrone need to be played in 4 weeks time so there's no time to wallow in self pity. This is one hell of a kick up the arse for everyone involved so once the dust settles there should be no problem getting lads up for Championship. They've come back down to Earth with an almighty wallop, so you would imagine pride dictates that we should get a huge performance from the team that takes the field in Omagh. Tyrone have more quality though and got a spanking of their own today.

My big worry though is that there'll be drop outs. There's clearly favourites when it comes to selection and some lads have gotten a very raw deal. Others are un-droppable no matter how poorly they perform. Something not right behind the scenes but hopefully the panel holds up for the summer. I think relegation today would have been easier to take if we had tried to develop more players from last year and experimented with a more attack orientated team. Been an absolute disaster from that point of view. Anyway, we'll see where we go from here.

Westside

Who has gotten a raw deal?

Its difficult to see the reasoning behind some of the selections for the panel. Difficult to see how Conor Brady continually gets his place. Thought Timoney's application was awful yesterday, strolling around the place and fouling rather than putting in the hard yards to defend. I was impressed with Thomas Galligan in his first start of the year.

Look-Up!

If you follow this team or watch the games it's pretty obvious. There's lads who contributed in the league last year and winning Ulster haven't got a look in at all this year. There's lads who contributed little/nothing seem un-droppable. The starting team was basically settled on months ago and training was setup in such a way that if you weren't in this golden circle it was pretty much impossible to break in. We've seen the worst league performances in the history of Cavan football and there's no one on the panel to stop the team picking itself every week???? ??? ??? From what I hear they changed it up a little bit last couple of weeks and a few lads with experience from last year put in huge performances in inhouse and challenge games - they didn't make the match day 26  :D :D :D :D.

At any rate the team is setup terribly if you're an inside forward. Expected to cover from your full forward line all the way back to your own 45. If your man gets forward you're only a b****x. If you don't win your own ball inside because you're either knackered/double marked/ball in is shite, you're only a b****x. If you don't score you're only a b****x. Half back/forward/midfield line is the place to be. Waltz up and down the field, put in half hearted tackles. When going forward you get to run on to easy ball at pace and can carry uncontested up to 45. From there kick it back down the field or put in a shite ball to the inside man. Don't worry, he'll get the blame for not winning it. Every now and then you'll get a shot away at goal from 40 yards and your name on the score sheet. That's your selection guaranteed for next week. 

Westside

Quote from: Look-Up! on June 13, 2021, 12:50:30 PM
If you follow this team or watch the games it's pretty obvious. There's lads who contributed in the league last year and winning Ulster haven't got a look in at all this year. There's lads who contributed little/nothing seem un-droppable. The starting team was basically settled on months ago and training was setup in such a way that if you weren't in this golden circle it was pretty much impossible to break in. We've seen the worst league performances in the history of Cavan football and there's no one on the panel to stop the team picking itself every week???? ??? ??? From what I hear they changed it up a little bit last couple of weeks and a few lads with experience from last year put in huge performances in inhouse and challenge games - they didn't make the match day 26  :D :D :D :D.

At any rate the team is setup terribly if you're an inside forward. Expected to cover from your full forward line all the way back to your own 45. If your man gets forward you're only a b****x. If you don't win your own ball inside because you're either knackered/double marked/ball in is shite, you're only a b****x. If you don't score you're only a b****x. Half back/forward/midfield line is the place to be. Waltz up and down the field, put in half hearted tackles. When going forward you get to run on to easy ball at pace and can carry uncontested up to 45. From there kick it back down the field or put in a shite ball to the inside man. Don't worry, he'll get the blame for not winning it. Every now and then you'll get a shot away at goal from 40 yards and your name on the score sheet. That's your selection guaranteed for next week.

I'm not disagreeing with you, it was a genuine question. I couldn't pick anyone that I thought had got a raw deal to be honest because I don't think anybody got a run, took their opportunity and then got dropped. Cian Reilly got his chance, played well and kept his spot. Now as I've said there are lads who are getting their place and not putting in performances to keep it so I suppose that means someone else is getting a raw deal.

Agree with you on the full forward line. To me it looked like Mickey thought yesterday that our full forward line should be able to run up a score against Wicklow. They were outnumbered and swallowed up and we didn't change tactics we just replaced the corner forward twice. Was there any plan for getting Caoimhin Reilly or Caoimhin McGovern on the ball in the scoring area? Didn't seem like it. Just expect them to plough their own furrow and if that doesn't work, replace him and hope for the same from the next lad.

Itchy

It seems extremely unlikely we can plot a course from where we are today to somehow beating Tyrone in Omagh. I've defended Mickey against a lot of what I consider unfair criticism but there is no defending yesterday. The management team should done whatever it took to win that game.  They have as a result confined us most likely to the B Championship in 2022. I was in breffni a few years ago watching us best Roscommon, draw with Kerry. I saw us best Mayo in Castlebar. Now we will be playing Waterford and London. It's just a major major f**k up, no other way to put it. It reflects very very poorly on management and players.

Look-Up!

Looking at it rationally Wicklow need to be given their fair due. I was genuinely worried they would beat us after seeing our performances this year and it embarrasses me to read some of the shite Cavan "football fans" are saying and running down Wicklow. The opponent doesn't make the players any worse than they were last week. They're still as good as they were last November, injuries acknowledged. But it was a winnable game, that's what worries me.

We've been conceding 14/15 scores per game, our goalkeeper saved our ass a few times on run throughs, of which we've seen many. We don't score goals. For a team that gives up so many goal chances our scoring averages are poor, again 14/15 per game. Wicklow would be in the weaker section for county teams so you'd expect our average to be 16/17 at least and maybe concession 12/13. Simply put, we don't concede goals we beat Wicklow. How such a simple concept seems to have been completely lost on management or they couldn't come up with a game plan is staggering. They cut through us like butter. Lads are too comfortable letting players walk by them and still getting the nod the week after. We're at the stage now we can neither attack or defend.

I've been critical of this management at times, I don't think unfairly. I've been very complimentary too. I try to be reasonable but for me there are red lines you cannot cross as a manager and for me they've done it quite a few times. I don't know what the future holds for them but I'm not confident they are competent enough to build and develop a team. I think the team will be up for the Tyrone match but not sure where that leaves the management long term. 

Itchy

i hear Moynagh is back in Cavan, anyone know was he called into the panel?

rodney trotter

He was with the panel for the Wicklow game.  His fitness would need to be at a good level to feature against Tyrone

mrdeeds

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 21, 2021, 03:02:57 PM
He was with the panel for the Wicklow game.  His fitness would need to be at a good level to feature against Tyrone

And not allowed play club.

Westside

Listening to the WeAreCavan lads it sounds like Mickey will be having priority for some U20 players. Damien said he expects Cian Reilly to start on Saturday so presumably he won't be available for the U20s on Friday. You'd imagine Caoimhin McGovern will be the same.

Would be great to see us beating Down, our record at U20 level has been pretty shocking since the end of the run in 2014.

Not looking forward to Saturday at all. There could be a hiding on the cards.

Itchy

Desperate result tonight. Didn't see it but surely to god we have to be better than that scoreline in Breffni?

Westside

So far behind Down. As soon as the teams took to the field you could see we were outdone physically and athletically. The pace they played the game at, their decision making and execution of the basic skills were streets ahead of us. What's worrying is that we can no longer say that due attention wasn't given to the group. They were committed and well prepared.

If tomorrow is another hammering, we're at a low as bad as we've seen in a long time.