Leinster Championship 2020

Started by thejuice, November 01, 2020, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 16, 2020, 09:24:10 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 16, 2020, 07:52:40 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 16, 2020, 07:34:19 PM
This is the Leinster championship thread.

My bad for getting sick of the usual Dublin are the evil empire set on destroying everything and everyone in their path and asking a question about football and the Leinster Final
to me Dublin have some great footballers but it's their strength in the tackle and their unbelievable conditioning that allows them to wallop Laois and the Westmeaths of football, how many times did Laois have a slight opening and the ball carrier got a slap from a dub the ball is turned over and it's an easy score down the field , strength and conditioning is what all the lower counties should be starting with for a panel of thirty , no point having nice ball players or getting 15 men behind the ball when you are getting blown out in the tackle .

I'd go along with all of Gmac's comments above and I'd add to that the strength of Dublin's bench (e.g. Cormac Costello's contribution on Sunday last). In addition for ten years now Dublin have been developing and evolving a process on and off the field which everyone on the team understands and buys into. Bernard Brogan describes the evolution of the process in his autobiography.

Next weekend we'll see how Meath measure up to the challenge. Their swashbuckling approach so far has been refreshing and they'll come out like demons on Saturday. I think Dublin will win but Meath will not go down without a hell of a fight.

Full back line with need to tighten up. Meath should have got 2/3 goals in the league meeting.

Captain Obvious

Dublin 1-20 Meath 0-19 a few weeks ago. I suppose this Saturday will see the difference between a league and championship match plus the difference between Dublin playing in Croke Park and Parnell Park.

dublin7

My bad for getting sick of the usual Dublin are the evil empire set on destroying everything and everyone in their path and asking a question about football and the Leinster Final
to me Dublin have some great footballers but it's their strength in the tackle and their unbelievable conditioning that allows them to wallop Laois and the Westmeaths of football, how many times did Laois have a slight opening and the ball carrier got a slap from a dub the ball is turned over and it's an easy score down the field , strength and conditioning is what all the lower counties should be starting with for a panel of thirty , no point having nice ball players or getting 15 men behind the ball when you are getting blown out in the tackle .

That is a big advantage for Dublin. One of the reasons Mayo really put it up to Dublin was they had the conditioning and strength to match the Dublin players one v one. Tomas O'Se pointed it out on the sunday game a few weeks ago against Westmeath. One of the Westmeath lads tracked a Ciaran Kilkenny run, but was too wrecked to anything the next play.

Hound

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 16, 2020, 09:24:10 PM

I'd go along with all of Gmac's comments above and I'd add to that the strength of Dublin's bench (e.g. Cormac Costello's contribution on Sunday last). In addition for ten years now Dublin have been developing and evolving a process on and off the field which everyone on the team understands and buys into. Bernard Brogan describes the evolution of the process in his autobiography.

Next weekend we'll see how Meath measure up to the challenge. Their swashbuckling approach so far has been refreshing and they'll come out like demons on Saturday. I think Dublin will win but Meath will not go down without a hell of a fight.

The Covid break has obviously disrupted a lot of things in the GAA. Not sure if Kildare were extra disrupted when the Kildare extra restrictions came in.
At the start of the year I honestly believed Kildare would give us a right battle and still think that if they played Meath 5 weeks in a row, they'd win at least 3. Two of the goals they gave away were pure kamikaze.

In fairness to Meath, when they got into a winning position, they never looked like losing it even when there was plenty of time left for a Kildare revival. Maybe they exposed a weakness in Kildare that Dublin would have obliterated and Meath do have a sprinkling of exciting forward talent.

Meath won't get away with starting slowly against the Dubs and they will need goals. Like any other team with a hope of beating Dublin, they will need to be in touch at half time, and then to show in the first 10 minutes of the second half that they intend to stick around. Then they just might have a glimmer. But big underdogs for sure.

The Hill is Blue

We're almost there. The strangest Leinster Final in one hundred years. I'm hoping for the best but I know that Meath will present a fierce challenge. I'd like to say "may the best team win" but of course I only want Dublin to win. Come on You Boys in Blue.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

sid waddell

On the 100th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, Royal forces - Crown forces - are once again mobilising at Croke Park in an attempt to carry out an ambush

"Dublin won't know what has hit it - they'll be building yet another new Hill 16 from the rubble after tonight", said Andy McEntee, he of the famous Blueshirt family

McEntee for his part claims he is trying to take down an empire - ironically, a blueshirt empire

Meath will have a squad of masked men inside the stadium planning the ambush strategy

A particular focus of attention for the Dublin sharpshooters will be Meath's Cairo Gang – a group of key players who are also Liverpool supporters and fans of Mohamed Salah

Dublin are planning to unleash some heavy artillery from the sideline to crush opposition

Dublin-Meath clashes of the past traditionally resulted in heavy bloodshed on the Croke Park pitch

A lot rides on tonight's events, a heavy defeat for the Royal squadron could result in partition for Dublin at the end of '21, which would surely lead to a bitter Civil War

Guns are preparing to fire in the cold November rain

BennyCake

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

southtyronegael

Rossfan

The excitement of knock out football..zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Silkyskillssunshinee

The difference in strength and conditioning between Dublin and Meath (and any other team in Ireland really) is mental. Professionals v amateurs.

Blowitupref

18 mins gone. Water break. Dublin 1-6 Meath 0-2
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sid waddell

Meath have twice got players inside into positions where they could have got a shot on goal

Both times they hesitated and didn't pull the trigger and within a split second Dublin had three or four defenders back to flood the area

If you get a sight of goal against Dublin you can't afford to hesitate

Hound

Meath started quite well and have had 2 really good goal chances. But Dublin's goal was absolutely outstanding. The ploy of Con to midfield for Dublin kickouts has been very successful. A very impressive first quarter for the Dubs.

Captain Obvious

Meath so loose in defence as I type Dublin basically walk in for a second goal.