12 (10.7%)
5-10 pts
38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

larryin89

I dont agree that the GAA need a strong Dublin presence no more than it needs any other county to have a strong presence .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

The Hill is Blue

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on December 21, 2020, 08:20:47 PM

Dubs after-match celebrations in Croke Park dressing room.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ScesBGIOlnI

Great to see! Hopefully they can now see the unprecedented 10 in a row out! They have all the proper plans and finances to do it!

Has there ever been a side with a better home record? I can't think of any?

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 21, 2020, 04:04:46 PMCusack established an amateur organization on a basis where everyone could participate. Indeed it could be argued that the current GAA is now closer to the elitism of the Victorian era that you clearly despise.

::) I'm sure the Ballymun lads in the Dublin squad would appreciate that comment.

larryin89

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on December 21, 2020, 08:41:40 PM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 21, 2020, 04:04:46 PMCusack established an amateur organization on a basis where everyone could participate. Indeed it could be argued that the current GAA is now closer to the elitism of the Victorian era that you clearly despise.

::) I'm sure the Ballymun lads in the Dublin squad would appreciate that comment.

What ballymum lads , the one from ashbourne ?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: larryin89 on December 21, 2020, 08:19:49 PM
I dont agree that the GAA need a strong Dublin presence no more than it needs any other county to have a strong presence .

You had no problem when the Hill funded your clubhouse. Now we get some of our money back its an outrage.

In any sport some teams are bigger than others. Deal with it.

giveballaghback

2006 Leinster final Dubs v Offaly attendance 82000
2016 Leinster final Dubs v Westmeath attendance 39000
thats a lot of gate money gone down the drain in ten years. Im sure they are feeling the pain of doping the Dubs.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Angelo on December 21, 2020, 04:33:41 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 21, 2020, 04:22:04 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 21, 2020, 02:13:39 PM
Quote from: Hound on December 21, 2020, 01:14:16 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on December 21, 2020, 12:52:08 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 21, 2020, 12:21:52 PM
Bernard Brogan had a good interview with Malachay Clerkin in the Irish times at the weekend in relation to dublin funding

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/bernard-brogan-finances-didn-t-win-five-all-irelands-in-a-row-1.4439956

Decent enough article tbf. On this point he makes
QuoteSo I get annoyed when I see people saying that these players are only able to win because of financial doping

Virtually nobody is saying that or at least not anybody with a bit of sense.

Dublin have plenty of natural advantages that can never be changed, funding is one that can be changed relatively easily if the will is there.

But the funding that the likes of Lar quotes figures from is nothing at all to do with funding the intercounty team.

The sponsorship money of course does and something can be done there. But not pooling all the sponsorship that each county gets. That would lead to mismanagement.
Instead you need to take the power away from all the county boards and sell it on a national level, something like the NFL maybe.
With due respect Hound, I can see massive problems with your proposal. Sponsors  give money or other forms of aid to specific counties for one reason only.
They do so because they anticipate an increase on sales of their products or services or at least to creaate a positive profile in their target market. For example Arnotts sponsor the Dubs. (ASFAIK) and Elverys sponsor Mayo.
Do you think either want to see their investment diluted by having it shared out between all counties and not the ones they had intended it for?

It also means certain counties won't bother looking for sponsorship. Why kill yourself for a €25k deal you make €800 off when you get €25k from the Dubs

Ah the DUPlin unionists out again.

"It's our money"

It literally is.

But the flaw in your cunning plan is thus. AIG don't care a whit about the GAA. They care about exposure. The Dubs are cheaper to sponsor than the national teams or Leinster and gave similar exposure. Win win. But why do you think the Dublin county board will bother getting a sponsor of that narure if all they get is 1/32nd of the fruits? Why will a Leitrim bother tapping up a pub sponsor for less money than AIG will be forced to give them?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 21, 2020, 09:45:46 PM
Bernard Brogan had a good interview with Malachay Clerkin in the Irish times at the weekend in relation to dublin funding

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/bernard-brogan-finances-didn-t-win-five-all-irelands-in-a-row-1.4439956

QuoteSo I get annoyed when I see people saying that these players are only able to win because of financial doping

Dublin have plenty of natural advantages that can never be changed, funding is one that can be changed relatively easily if the will is there.

But the funding that the likes of Lar quotes figures from is nothing at all to do with funding the intercounty team.

The sponsorship money of course does and something can be done there. But not pooling all the sponsorship that each county gets. That would lead to mismanagement.
Instead you need to take the power away from all the county boards and sell it on a national level, something like the NFL maybe.
With due respect Hound, I can see massive problems with your proposal. Sponsors  give money or other forms of aid to specific counties for one reason only.
They do so because they anticipate an increase on sales of their products or services or at least to creaate a positive profile in their target market. For example Arnotts sponsor the Dubs. (ASFAIK) and Elverys sponsor Mayo.
Do you think either want to see their investment diluted by having it shared out between all counties and not the ones they had intended it for?

It also means certain counties won't bother looking for sponsorship. Why kill yourself for a €25k deal you make €800 off when you get €25k from the Dubs

"It's our money"

It literally is.

But the flaw in your cunning plan is thus. AIG don't care a whit about the GAA. They care about exposure. The Dubs are cheaper to sponsor than the national teams or Leinster and gave similar exposure. Win win. But why do you think the Dublin county board will bother getting a sponsor of that narure if all they get is 1/32nd of the fruits? Why will a Leitrim bother tapping up a pub sponsor for less money than AIG will be forced to give them?
+1
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

reillycavan

Quote from: WhoDat on December 20, 2020, 10:52:11 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 20, 2020, 08:40:07 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on December 20, 2020, 08:27:46 PM
Did they ever say what happened Durcan?

Horan said he hurt his quad in the first ball he went for.

did he play basically the full first half with an injury then? if so, fair play. he had kilkenny on a leash the whole first half. him going off was a huge loss for mayo and part of the reason they kind of hit a wall in the second half.

still interested to know what was said in the tunnel at half time to get that reaction out of o'shea and higgins. there'd be a lot of sledging in games and those mayo lads would be well used to it, even just at club level. i'm sure cillian o'connor has had plenty said to him over the years and to be fair he didn't react, but it must have been something particularly special for o'shea and higgins to start throwing digs at philly.

I believe Philly told Cillian to wear a nappy in case he dung himself in second half. Not a nice comment. O'Shea lucky not to get the line for the dunt to back of head.

larryin89

And if you believe that's what he said yiure an awful naive ladeen

6th sam

Talk about unfair advantages certainly , but going down the road of "he said,you said" in the tunnel is a dead end. Dublin team are a credit for their culture and role models and making the best of their advantages. The problem lies with GAA structures, not Dublin

larryin89

Quote from: 6th sam on December 21, 2020, 11:32:29 PM
Talk about unfair advantages certainly , but going down the road of "he said,you said" in the tunnel is a dead end. Dublin team are a credit for their culture and role models and making the best of their advantages. The problem lies with GAA structures, not Dublin
I couldn't give a fook what he said, just replying to yer man above who seen a made up quote on social media thinking it was an actual quote .

What's "their " culture mean anyway? How do you know how they act outside of football ?

macdanger2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 21, 2020, 09:45:46 PM

"It's our money"

It literally is.

The GAA will need to do the selling centrally, if you've a good product you won't be short of offers