Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamFever

Breaking news... Down play Donegal in the prelim. round of the USFC in Newry at 1pm on Sunday.

johnnycool

Quote from: SamFever on June 24, 2021, 10:42:34 AM
Breaking news... Down play Donegal in the prelim. round of the USFC in Newry at 1pm on Sunday.

Will Senior club football resume the following week?

snoopdog

Very quiet build up to the championship. Let's face it do Down have any hope? I dont think so. A good performance is all we can hope for. Declan Bonner thinks Murphy will be back for sunday.

Lotto

Quote from: snoopdog on June 24, 2021, 12:58:48 PM
Very quiet build up to the championship. Let's face it do Down have any hope? I dont think so. A good performance is all we can hope for. Declan Bonner thinks Murphy will be back for sunday.

It's really hard to hope for anything else than a performance to keep the score respectable . Good will not beat Donegal though, it's gonna take something we haven't seen consistently in the Tally era to get us through this one. I hope Paddy has a plan now, especially on kickouts, that will make us competitive. I would like to be positive, for a change, but I just can't see anything other than a Donegal win. I listened to Darren O'Hagan on the radio this morning, someone I have serious time for, but he spoke like Down had already thrown in the towel. I hope not.

DuffGael

Down always have hope,  yes Donegal are a better side than us but we can beat them. If things click we are hard to stop,  the big issue is can we win enough possession,  let's hope so.  Good luck to the team tomorrow.

befair

Bookies giving a 7 pt margin, which might be worth taking; depends on Murphy not starting, or not being fully fit, Donegal being over-confident, and if Down can re-create last years 1st half performance vs Cavan. Maybe I'm grasping at straws

Mourne Rover

Big surprise to see Murdoch on the bench tomorrow, as he would have been regarded as an almost certain starter if fit. However, Tally deserves credit for a bold move in giving championship debuts to the Liatroim pair of McCrickard and Middleton. They will bring the physical presence we need to be competitive, although the possibility of a couple of late switches can never be ruled out.

Smurfy123

Good luck to all the Down players and management today
We can do this
Let's give the supporters the boost we need
What a day for a match
Come on Down
Come on
Ulster football is back

snoopdog

Dont think we expected anything else than this. Few great goal chances. Donegal comfortable though. Is there any point discussing the kickouts. Same every year. I dont expect Tally will be there next year. Massive turnover of footballers doesnt help. But a gameplan and kickout strategy might help

on the sideline

Where are the Johnston's, O'Hare and Harrison?

Hedgehunter

Players need to be consulted on new management, no disrespect to those players out there today but we need to get the best players in the County back involved. Need to know why there are so many opt outs and what will it take to get them back. Do they oppose a regimented structure without the freedoms to express themselves? We need to appoint someone who will get the best out of the players rather than shoehorn them into something that they are not.

Nanderson

Quote from: on the sideline on June 27, 2021, 02:37:44 PM
Jerome, Donal and Harrison all injured and off the panel. Ryan didn't commit this year

Nanderson

Sometimes its the hope that kills you. The one thing I dont get is how a team that is known for playing very defensive football be so bad at it. You should not be conceding 2-25 in a game playing 13 men behind the ball. Donegal men taking on shots from inside the scoring zone unopposed is criminal if this is the style of play that you want to play. Can't see Tally surviving this. Will see how the U20s get on this year before we can decide if that management is ready to step up to the top job

Lotto

Quote from: Nanderson on June 27, 2021, 03:05:02 PM
Quote from: on the sideline on June 27, 2021, 02:37:44 PM
Jerome, Donal and Harrison all injured and off the panel. Ryan didn't commit this year

Can't be that bad then when they can still play for their clubs though.

Godsown

Quote from: Hedgehunter on June 27, 2021, 02:49:08 PM
Players need to be consulted on new management, no disrespect to those players out there today but we need to get the best players in the County back involved. Need to know why there are so many opt outs and what will it take to get them back. Do they oppose a regimented structure without the freedoms to express themselves? We need to appoint someone who will get the best out of the players rather than shoehorn them into something that they are not.

Which players are you going to consult on management. The ones there that you don't rate or every adult player in the county. Unworkable way of appointing a management set up