No Béarla

Started by magpie seanie, January 05, 2007, 02:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Flameboy

sounds about right....

i was arrested before years ago and insisted on being dealt with "As Gaeilge" as is my constitutional right, needless to say the Gardai threatened to knock the shite out of me if i didn't start talking enlgish and stop being such a smartarse...

youbetterbelieveit

ya i heard your boy that made it for TG4 on matt cooper's 'last word' the other day, he had a good chat with him.

Bacon

Why does that not surprise me Flameboy?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

brokencrossbar1

He was on the Last Word the other evening and was very interesting.  On a related note a la Flameboy, I recall a drunken night in Shaftesbury Square when we were getting a bit boisterous.  The pretend Gardai told us to cool off.  On of the lads, trying to be smart, started speaking to him as gaelige.  There was quite a shock when he was answered back as gaelige and chucked in the back of the meat wagon for his patriotism.  The funniest thing was the same boy knew very little Irish but he sang a lot of rebel songs on any night out so he must be Irish.

Flameboy

i was a prisoner of conscience.......... ;)

Donagh

I think the Maire Nic An Bhaird ruling is due today at some stage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1ire_Nic_An_Bhaird

Evil Genius

Quote from: Flameboy on January 05, 2007, 02:46:11 PM
i was arrested before years ago and insisted on being dealt with "As Gaeilge" as is my constitutional right, needless to say the Gardai threatened to knock the shite out of me if i didn't start talking enlgish and stop being such a smartarse...

I daresay they'd have been knocking the shite out of you soon enough had you been speaking English. And quite right, too! :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Flameboy

The insolence on this board has soared to new levels today....

Jesus had days like this too, when everyone was against him. Hitler and Saddam too now that I think of it.... ;)

realredhandfan

Sneachta le  Máire Nic an Bhaird
An Block ar Acadamh naomh Padraig i ndun geannainn.

Athas ar na paisti
sport ina ghoi
Caloga beaga bana
ag damhsa insan ghai
Laithroidi sneachta
ag eitilt in san aer
Ghoi agus gaerach
o na paisti go leir;

man in black

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 05, 2007, 02:50:50 PM
He was on the Last Word the other evening and was very interesting.  On a related note a la Flameboy, I recall a drunken night in Shaftesbury Square when we were getting a bit boisterous.  The pretend Gardai told us to cool off.  On of the lads, trying to be smart, started speaking to him as gaelige.  There was quite a shock when he was answered back as gaelige and chucked in the back of the meat wagon for his patriotism.  The funniest thing was the same boy knew very little Irish but he sang a lot of rebel songs on any night out so he must be Irish.

oisin should stick to the jigs
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I learned Irish until 'A' level and considered myself on the verge of being 'liofa'.

I went to a Conradh na Gaeilge class in my mid 20s to refresh. However, and this was always the most frustrating thing about Irish, they spoke a completely different dialect to what I had learned and insisted on correcting my pronunciations everytime I spoke.

I have also been to the Cultúrlann on the Falls Road and am always a bit disappointed about the apparent snobbery of the Gaeligoirí there who smirk/raise eyes to heaven when you attempt to speak to them in broken lingo. At least I tried.

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

man in black

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on January 08, 2007, 09:45:35 AM
I learned Irish until 'A' level and considered myself on the verge of being 'liofa'.

I went to a Conradh na Gaeilge class in my mid 20s to refresh. However, and this was always the most frustrating thing about Irish, they spoke a completely different dialect to what I had learned and insisted on correcting my pronunciations everytime I spoke.

I have also been to the Cultúrlann on the Falls Road and am always a bit disappointed about the apparent snobbery of the Gaeligoirí there who smirk/raise eyes to heaven when you attempt to speak to them in broken lingo. At least I tried.

just like the frogs then
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Perhaps they should bring out a body language guide for the Gaeligoirí then.

e.g. When walking into a bar in Ma'am Cross, wear a bright-pastel colored pair of pants, gaudy t-shirt with the word 'Yankees' emblazoned on it and ask for one of your best glaases of Gui-ne-ess so the cute hoor locals don't think you're one of those mono-cultured Northerners..
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Mayo4Sam

I find it exceptionally handy when ur travelling, when asked what i was speaking some people refused to believet hat there was any such thing as an irish language, amadans
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me