YOUNG GAA PLAYERS ATTACKED

Started by Teachtaire, November 04, 2008, 09:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornafean

Quote from: aroundincircles on November 04, 2008, 10:31:01 PM
Rte banned the only voice we had at the time sinn fein

For good bloody reasons.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: cornafean on November 05, 2008, 10:13:18 AM

For good bloody reasons.
what were those 'good bloody reasons'?

do you recall this happening ?

Canalman

What happened here (banger thrown at car resulting in broken windscreen) is unfortunately nowadays not newsworthy. The fact that the occupants were wearing GAA gear is imo irrelevant and just a sad indictment of society in general and not of any significant political consequence.
Just heard that 2 of our minors were hospitalized at the weekend here in Dublin after being attacked on the way home from the Cinema.......thankfully their injuries are not too serious although both needed stitches and one needs dental treatment. One of the lads always wears club gear and was presumably wearing it on the night of the assault. Scumbaggery involved here as I suspect was the recent case up north and not political. The fact that GAA gear was imo irrelevant.
Was told that it was a group of 7/8 fellow teenagers who "jumped them" after "asking for a light".

Teachtaire

Canalman, you're right. The attack on the lads in Belafst was not political

IT WAS SECTARIAN

The morons who attacked these young lads are incapable of having a political thought. You have to bear in mind that the thugs who attacked these lads were returning from the British military parade and they singled out for attack for no other eason than their GAA jerseys. If it were a random attack then why were other vehicles not damaged?

By passing these deliberate, sectarian attacks of as mere, "scumbaggery," is a kop out. Such an approach fails to address the evil of sectarianism and it allows the loyalist rabble rousers of Cambell, Dodds, Robinson et al to squirm their way out of dealing with their responsibilities.

So this is not mere, "scumbaggery," it is something which is fuelled by hatred, intolerance and inability to accept anybody which is not part of their sub-culture.   

Doohicky

Reminds me of the time the woman drove through New Buildings with a Tyrone flag on the car (Think it was that anyway, one of the small ones that are attached on and generally left permanantly). The car was attacked and all the bigots blamed her for flying her county flag.

Supposedly she should have stopped somewhere every time she went on a road through a Protestant area and removed the flag despite it being a main through road. Yet if a bus full of Orange men drive through Strabane shouting insults and have anything thrown at them it's not their fault.

Which is it?

(If someone has better details on the New Buildings stuff please let them be known, my memory is vague on it all)

Bud Wiser

Illdecide. Quote.
Quotecorn i reckon someone's blowing bubbles...

I don't want to turn this into an argument but in fairness you were probably blowing bubbles at the time or playing with your rattler. As far as I can remember it was around 1970-1975 ( I was 20-25yrs then and Francie Bellew was in a pram) and it was reported in both the Sunday Worst and An Poblacht. It was also referred to in a report about the Brits own intellegence in some forum like the link below.
http://www.blythe.org/nytransfer-subs/99cov/%5Bint-free%5D_INT_101_summary

I have "googled" 'till I am sick of it and can not find anything relating to the article or the incident now but I certainly remember it as I am sure does the young lad who got the butt oif the rifle in the mouth.  There should be plenty from Cross on here who can confirm it but either way, he was actually on the field of play and it was a hurling match.  I am just making the point that not all of us are ignorant of the fact of what goes on up there in our six counties and sometimes it annoys me.  I think the young lads name could have been O'Hare but I am sure sooner or later some of the Crossmaglen Rangers boys will correct me, but then again, I didn't write the story at the time - "I am an innocent mOn"
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

aroundincircles

Corn give us what you call "good bloody reasons"

Maybe you where happy that gaa players and fans here  north of this island where treated in this way!!!!!!!!!!

muppet

QuoteIT WAS SECTARIAN

The morons who attacked these young lads are incapable of having a political thought.

Is it just me or is this paradoxical?
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 05, 2008, 06:02:01 PM
Illdecide. Quote.
Quotecorn i reckon someone's blowing bubbles...

I don't want to turn this into an argument but in fairness you were probably blowing bubbles at the time or playing with your rattler. As far as I can remember it was around 1970-1975 ( I was 20-25yrs then and Francie Bellew was in a pram) and it was reported in both the Sunday Worst and An Poblacht. It was also referred to in a report about the Brits own intellegence in some forum like the link below.
http://www.blythe.org/nytransfer-subs/99cov/%5Bint-free%5D_INT_101_summary

I couldn't find  a word there about the British Intelligence (an oxymoron), from their helicopter suveilling the Crossmaglen gaels doing their training manouveres on the pitch.

Anyway its an interesting link with a few 'did you knows' to pepper a lagging conversation with a republican.

'Movement Analysis program to the fight against the IRA -- and
the network of SIGINT and ELINT surveillance systems with aptly
descriptive code names, such as "Glutton" and "Vengeful" which
provide almost total 24-hour coverage of more than 1 million of
the 1.5 million population of Northern Ireland'

'the economic cost of the Baltic Exchange Bomb was £32bn'

That the lowest level of british intelligence  information
would note that 'Sean Kelly and Seamus
Maguire met in a certain pub and had three pints of Guinness'.

How the highest level of classified secret documents ended up in a dustbin and made their way to an Phoblacht.

carribbear

Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 04, 2008, 10:00:53 AM

Are you inferring that your 26 county brethern are ignorant of the facts relating to what happens, and has happened in our other six counties.  If you are then you have a lot of considering to do yourself.

Most are or simply don't care. it's the "im alright" sentiment that I've seen in my lifetime.

boojangles

Quote from: cornafean on November 05, 2008, 10:13:18 AM

For good bloody reasons.
Cornafean has lost his tongue.That kind of attitude sickens me.RTE and the Irish Governments attitude to Sinn Fein at the height of the troubles was a disgrace IMO.Purely hypocrititcal.the British establishment had as much to answer to as Sinn Fein had, yet RTE and some people in the Dail could only see one side,and that was the British side.

cornafean

Quote from: boojangles on November 06, 2008, 09:33:17 AM
Cornafean has lost his tongue.That kind of attitude sickens me.RTE and the Irish Governments attitude to Sinn Fein at the height of the troubles was a disgrace IMO.Purely hypocrititcal.the British establishment had as much to answer to as Sinn Fein had, yet RTE and some people in the Dail could only see one side,and that was the British side.

No I haven't, I just kept getting the following message when I tried to post:

"Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again. "

Anyway, the reasons why Section 31 was introduced in the 1970s are well known, as were the reasons why it was scrapped in the 1990s. I don't think it was unreasonable for spokesmen of certain organisations to be denied access to the State airwaves at a time when the same organisations (of all shades) were engaged in various campaigns of terror one of the aims of which was to subvert the State. How exactly letting the likes of Owen Carron, Caoimhghin O'Caolain or John McMichael onto RTE would have protected the victims of neanderthals like Billy Wright or Lenny Murphy is a bit beyond me. Anyway, thankfully, that's in the realms of history now.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Bud Wiser

QuoteNow we know you're definitely making it up
Don't shoot the messenger, I am only telling you what was said at the time, and you are right, there was a lot of stitching up people back then, some interned on trumped up or no charges so anything was possible in terms of what was reported to have happened.

Brit Para's dressed as Maor Uisce's attack Crossmaglen Gaels and try to confiscate their football.  (Man in centre later awarded the An Poblacht  "A Chara" of the year award for holding onto the ball.

Crossmaglen Hurling Team.  (Copyright GPA)
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

brokencrossbar1

Bud if it happened it happened before my time, and certainly is not something that has ever been used in a political sense, which you would imagine would be the case.  Mammy BC doesn't know anything about it either.  There was plenty of harassment, physical searches, lined up along the wall, one near fatal stabbing, helicopters swooping low and landing on the pitch, wire fences being trampled down,  being held for at least an hour as the Green caps smoked a fag, having guns pointed in your face, being pushed against cars/walls/fences or any other place that was handy, O'Neill's balls going into the barracks never to return or if they did there was a hole in them, but I can't think of any rifle butts in the face.

One or two people did develop skin cancer which was directly linked to the radioactive emissions from the infra-red lights spotted around the walls of the barracks, cold and hot cups of tea being fcuked at you as you walked past the Burocki Sanger, the car being ripped apart up to 15 times a day the time they had the Ring of Steel around the town to allow them to build a stronger barracks, the hateful acrid smell of helicopter fuel wafting down on you as you trained as they flew away from the barracks, but I still cannot recall the butt of a rifle in the face.

It probably did happen though at some stage as there were many incidents that happened around there, some of which I was direct witness to, that never made the front page of the news, as any more deaths than were already reported would be bad for moral.  Better for them to die in a bus accident while on training in Canada or somewhere like that.

boojangles

Quote from: cornafean on November 06, 2008, 10:03:32 AM
Quote from: boojangles on November 06, 2008, 09:33:17 AM

No I haven't, I just kept getting the following message when I tried to post:

"Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again. "

Anyway, the reasons why Section 31 was introduced in the 1970s are well known, as were the reasons why it was scrapped in the 1990s. I don't think it was unreasonable for spokesmen of certain organisations to be denied access to the State airwaves at a time when the same organisations (of all shades) were engaged in various campaigns of terror one of the aims of which was to subvert the State. How exactly letting the likes of Owen Carron, Caoimhghin O'Caolain or John McMichael onto RTE would have protected the victims of neanderthals like Billy Wright or Lenny Murphy is a bit beyond me. Anyway, thankfully, that's in the realms of history now.
I dunno what your point is there Cornafean.but my point is that it was total hypocrisy on the State and the State broadcasters behalf that was banning its fellow country men from Sinn Fein and its type on to the airwaves but at the same time when the British establishment was involved as much terrorist activity in Northern Ireland and the Republic(Dublin and Monaghan Bombings) but there was never an airwave ban put on them.Do you see my point?