Computer Problem

Started by DownFanatic, November 01, 2008, 10:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Big problem at the moment. Basically, I turn my computer on and everything loads up as usual. For example, I would then go on the internet. However after about 5 minutes the computer freezes. The Mouse wont move and alt/ctrl/del wont work on the key board as it stops working as well. The only way I can get the computer working again is if I reset it.
This is happening all the time now. Does any whizzkid out there know whats wrong with it?

Handy

When you reset it, put up task manager - look at cpu see what is eating up your resources!

DownFanatic

The computer is only 3 years old. How the fcuk could it be fcuked? a virus maybe?

DoYerJob Linesman

Were you looking at naughty things?   8)
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

ziggysego

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on November 01, 2008, 11:25:59 PM
Were you looking at naughty things?   8)

Is that what usually happens?
Testing Accessibility

DoYerJob Linesman

Mhic Easmuint

Could be a Virus/spyware problem.
Do you have anti-virus software?

Boot up in Safe mode and see how it goes.
(Tap F8 when you turn computer on and Select Safe Mode with Networking which will still give you internet access when you boot up)
Do a full scan of antivirus software.
If you don't have any you could downlaod the free version of Avast.
Also might be worth downloading SuperAntiSpyware and running it also.

DownFanatic

I may have delved in to that area of art now and again  :-[

Cheers Mhic. Ill give this a go.

DoYerJob Linesman

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 01, 2008, 11:37:02 PM
I may have delved in to that area of art now and again  :-[

Well put.  :D

blast05

Have you Gogle desktop installed ?  .... it may make a laptop unusable if you have huge amounts of files and an excessive 'filtering' turned on in Google desktop

J70

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 01, 2008, 10:57:54 PM
Big problem at the moment. Basically, I turn my computer on and everything loads up as usual. For example, I would then go on the internet. However after about 5 minutes the computer freezes. The Mouse wont move and alt/ctrl/del wont work on the key board as it stops working as well. The only way I can get the computer working again is if I reset it.
This is happening all the time now. Does any whizzkid out there know whats wrong with it?

What browser do you use? Have you tried an alternative? Does it freeze if you're not on the internet? Maybe you should try messing around with msconfig and try disabling some of the start-up programmes to see which might be causing the problem e.g. if you disable your virus scanner or something and that solves the problem, perhaps you will have found your culprit. Have you downloaded any new security software that coincide with the appearance of this problem and might be causing a conflict? For example, certain virus scanners are incompatible with certain firewalls and so on.

It sounds like you'll just have to follow many of the suggestions given here until you isolate what the problem is. Probably some kind of malware that's kicking in.

joebloggs

If it is doing this after 5 minutes regardless of wether its the internet you are using or any other application, you CPU might be heating up too much. Open up the computer and check that the connections of the fan around the cpu are still intact. Also when restarting go into the BIOS and check the temperatures of the CPU. Im not too sure off the top of my head what they should be but i think 0ver 30 degrees might be too hot. If your processor gets too hot it will just come to a complete halt.

under the bar

Download and run spybot and adaware.  Both are free and should sort your problem out straight away.

downgirl

What's the best antivirus software to buy?  Laptop has started being very sluggish and I think my free antivirus software isn't cutting it anymore.

J70

Quote from: under the bar on November 02, 2008, 11:14:28 AM
Download and run spybot and adaware.  Both are free and should sort your problem out straight away.

Not necessarily, in my experience, but worth a go.