Pundits & reporters with terrible Irish

Started by BeanPháidín, October 29, 2008, 12:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malone Aristocrat

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 30, 2008, 11:44:58 AM
Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on October 30, 2008, 11:29:59 AM
imagine the FA cup being given exclusively to a welsh speaking station in the uk?

There goes a coach and horses through the logic of your argument: Welsh is restricted to a specific minority area of Britain, Irish is all-Ireland (however sparsely spoken in certain areas), and moreover, the FA Cup does not apply to Welsh teams!

TG4 is a channel for the accommodation and promotion of the native tongue, and there is absolutely no reason at all why it should suspend that ethos so that people like you will not be offended. Perhaps you should be thankful that they're showing it all.

no - the games should be on rte. parralel coverage on tg4 would cater for everyone rather that excluding the majority

Malone Aristocrat

Quote from: orangeman on October 30, 2008, 11:47:11 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 30, 2008, 11:44:58 AM
Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on October 30, 2008, 11:29:59 AM
imagine the FA cup being given exclusively to a welsh speaking station in the uk?

There goes a coach and horses through the logic of your argument: Welsh is restricted to a specific minority area of Britain, Irish is all-Ireland (however sparsely spoken in certain areas), and moreover, the FA Cup does not apply to Welsh teams!

TG4 is a channel for the accommodation and promotion of the native tongue, and there is absolutely no reason at all why it should suspend that ethos so that people like you will not be offended. Perhaps you should be thankful that they're showing it all.

Exactly - you should be grateful that its on at all.

Now you see that sort of attitude bugs me.

tg4 is simply a third rte station. the government put a huge amount of money into rte partly in exchange for public service duties. to my mind coverage of these games falls under that remit. rte simply choose to cover these games on tg3 and i resent that i, as part of the overwhelming majority, am neglected for the sake of some misguided nod to the arts

5 Sams

As far as I'm concerned there always was an unwritten rule that you did not criticise someone's Irish.....the old phrase "Is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Bearla cliste" was always used by my teachers, lecturers, etc. You were always encouraged to learn by practicing, listening and speaking.....there was never any criticism involved.

I'm a wee bit uncomfortable therefore with anyone pointing out deficiencies in anyone's grasp of the language even high profile people like Coman.......after all do we all speak perfect English...I seriously doubt it....

Lig dó a dhícheall a dheanamh.......
The Aristocrat Years

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on October 30, 2008, 11:48:10 AM
no - the games should be on rte. parralel coverage on tg4 would cater for everyone rather that excluding the majority

I can hear the howls of contempt from here: parallel = duplication, and if it's being shown on one channel (TG4), few are going to abide the simultaneous showing on a second terrestrial channel simply because of an intolerance of/aversion to An Gaeilge.

TG4 is not simply RTE3, it has autonomy of programme choices, and editorial independence of content.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Malone Aristocrat

rte own it, buy their equipment, pay the salaries and pay any broadcast rights they may require. they are rte's to do with as they please should they ever want to demand anything.

are there many non irish speaking lads who disagree with me?

Malone Aristocrat

RTE negotiate the rights (no fee) for showing national league and club championships and show them on tg4

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Whilst broadcasters should always aim for the highest standards of language possible they should (IMO) also reflect the audience they are providing for. Having different dialects, different ways of speaking and even different standards of language, represents that. It also represents a living language, a language which cant be marked and put into a box. And it must be remembered that pundits are there for their knowledge of GAA, not to pass a language test!
From a Scottish perspective I have always found BBC Scotland to be dominated by accents from fee paying schools which is all very well but the balance isnt there and it doesnt really represent the audience. The Scottish Gaelic programming on the other hand has a wide range of accents and is far more representative.

BeanPháidín

Lads I'd just like to point out that having been reading this message board on and off for a few years that I have seen a huge amount of threads critical of RTE television and Radio commentators and pundits. Not only in their knowledge of games, agenda's or opions, but for being boring, poor at their jobs and bad speakers.

So far all I can figure out is that I am a snob because of some 'unwritten rule' to do with Irish?

I love to see people trying and learning, it warms my heart as someone who was brought up in Dublin through Irish. Here's an example of what I'm talking about a frequent one of Goggins' and ye can tell me if it would be acceptable if used by Kevin McStay 10 times during a championship game

bhuail sé ar a cos clé é

he hit it on her left foot

I also believe that it is TG 4's responsibility to request a better service from Nemeton Productions

Dialect has nothing to do with the above.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Is fíor duit a BheanPháidín, ach ar an lámh eile...

It's true we're not just talking about minor grammatical transgressions, more that they're howlers (and I was half-expecting to see a Dublin tram pulling away from the pitch with the "...ar luas") that really mangle the communication, and not something to be absorbed by anyone attempting to learn the language either. Nonetheless, Coman Goggins should be commended for the effort he is putting in, and having the liathróidí to go national with his cúpla focal, though more work is required -- too often too he will render the English idiom with Irish words, which will often reduce what he's saying, or attempting to say, to something rather meaningless.

Though he's not beyond redemption (and he's not the only one), just more effort needed, and whilst only a cainteoir dúchais will ever be a cainteoir dúchais we can go close.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BeanPháidín

"It's true we're not just talking about minor grammatical transgressions, more that they're howlers"

Thank you Fear ón Srath Bán

I wasn't blessed with your skills of summarization. That's more or less the exact point I am trying to make

Denn Forever

bhuail sé ar a cos clé é

he hit it on her left foot

Seeing how this is turning into a Gaelige lesson, how do you say "He hit it on his left foot"?

Thanking you in anticipation......
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

The Forfeit Point