IFA League Attendances

Started by Feckitt, October 28, 2008, 09:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: corn02 on October 29, 2008, 03:09:41 PM
http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?s=e77fcd1b14bb753bd02133c8d2725fe6&t=104320

shocking figures

compared to what though? Club GAA league games? ALlianz league?

I have never heard anyone claim that enough people go and watch domestic soccer, but as ahas been said, a neutral watching a junior c football game in Leitrim would run a mile, but people still go. Its about proper fans being at games, and I'm struggling to see why people rejoice in another sports troubles.

ziggysego

Quote from: dublinfella on October 29, 2008, 03:26:17 PM
I'm struggling to see why people rejoice in another sports troubles.

There not dublinfella. It's about more airtime been given to sports with poor attendance. Yet sports with large attendance for one game, been overlooked by the media.
Testing Accessibility

dublinfella

Quote from: ziggysego on October 29, 2008, 03:41:58 PM

There not dublinfella. It's about more airtime been given to sports with poor attendance. Yet sports with large attendance for one game, been overlooked by the media.

Who is being overlooked?

I hardly think 10 mins of goals on a Saturday and the odd live game on Sky is excessive coverage for the Irish League.

corn02

Dublinfella, I think you have to be a constant viewer to get the idea. They send cameras to very ground yet find it impossible to sen d a camera to county finals or even further down the line. The coverage is top heavey towards the less attended sport. By the way, I am all for soccer surviving, I enjoy it over here.

dublinfella

Quote from: corn02 on October 29, 2008, 04:10:13 PM
Dublinfella, I think you have to be a constant viewer to get the idea. They send cameras to very ground yet find it impossible to sen d a camera to county finals or even further down the line. The coverage is top heavey towards the less attended sport. By the way, I am all for soccer surviving, I enjoy it over here.

I would question whether the coverage is top heavy - the only live game they show is the IFA cup final, which is hardly controversial, and 10 mins a week roundup. There is a dedicated BBC highlights show for the duration of the championship plus numerous live games.

Do RTE show county finals? If they don't, why are the BBC obligated to? How 'far down the line' do you think should be televised that isn't?

Evil Genius

Quote from: ziggysego on October 29, 2008, 03:41:58 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on October 29, 2008, 03:26:17 PM
I'm struggling to see why people rejoice in another sports troubles.

The BBC routinely gives a few minutes coverage to the IL during its Saturday afternoon sports round up, and at a time when the actual fans who have been at the matches are still making their way home. And contrary to what some are claiming, they do NOT send cameras to every match. Further, they only show the goals (and not much else) from 3 or 4 games (max), plus carry a two minute interview with a player or manager from whichever of those matches their chief soccer reporter, Jackie Fullerton, has been at. Moreover, they rarely, if ever, send cameras to matches outside of Belfast.
Beyond that, their only coverage of IL football is the once a year televising of the Irish Cup Final.

Now I'm not saying that the BBC devotes too little time to IL football (though I personally believe that strongly). However, those people who claim that at less than 10 minutes per week during the season it devotes too much time, are plainly talking nonsense.

P.S. As commercial stations, UTV and Sky etc can spend as little or as much time as they like on domestic soccer in NI. As it happens, UTV's coverage is even worse than that of BBC NI; Sky's is much better, but that is partly because the obligation to televise 5 live IL games per season was a requirement by the IFA if Sky were to be allowed to cover the NI international teams home games for the next 3 years. Of course, the BBC could have maintained their previous monopoly on televising the NI team, except that they weren't prepared to match the money on offer from Sky, nor to undertake to televise any live IL games. I suspect they were saving their money for the next season of "A Dander with Drennan", or some other such high quality programming... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Maroon Heaven

I have been to alot of IFA matches over the years and you cannot fault the passion and support of all the clubs and the part-time management within each of the clubs.

I was told once that the reason for so much coverage of the game within the North is due to the Finacial support of alot of the big companies behind the game in the North give to the sport and whereas the Telegraph once looked at decreasing the coverage it devotes to it - it was left in no uncertain terms that those businesses who advertise with the paper would withdraw all its advertising. It was never given a second look at after that. (This was around the time 10 leading businesses within the North and 3 from down south were looking at the Telegraph to promote the GAA fairly within its paper and told them without saying they would withdraw all their advertising support it the Telegraph did not buck up its act)

What no-one has mentioned is the policing of the games and the cost of that with so few attending.

full back

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

quit yo jibbajabba

jesus wept; talk about an own goal there; if the knowledge that that was on this website got into the wrong hands they would have a field day;

im a far out relation of yer woman evangelista who be's modellin a fair bit in ifa/soccer circles; thank gawd she aint "modellin" this item.....

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Doogie Browser

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 15, 2008, 04:48:41 PM
im a far out relation of yer woman evangelista who be's modellin a fair bit in ifa/soccer circles;

Jeez long gone are the days when she wouldn't get out of bed for less than £10k, times must ne hard on Rodeo Drive.

full back

Quote from: Chrisowc on December 15, 2008, 04:49:52 PM
Thank's for the work warning!

I'm sure you have been on the site often enough in work