Thuggery at end of Tyrone Club Final

Started by agorm, October 26, 2008, 07:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Over the Bar on October 29, 2008, 10:40:05 PM
QuoteNo one would have a problem with the Tyrone CCC justice for those involved last Sunday if they had applied the same standard throughout the last season.

So are you saying that you do have a problem with the punishments then? 

I do, as a matter of fact. Not the length - but the inconsistency.

There is no way that the suspensions for McGinn and Teague should differ. No justification for that in the world.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Puckoon on October 29, 2008, 10:43:31 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on October 29, 2008, 10:40:05 PM
QuoteNo one would have a problem with the Tyrone CCC justice for those involved last Sunday if they had applied the same standard throughout the last season.

So are you saying that you do have a problem with the punishments then? 

I do, as a matter of fact. Not the length - but the inconsistency.

There is no way that the suspensions for McGinn and Teague should differ. No justification for that in the world.

Can the County Board consider previous misdemeanours in these cases and sentence accordingly?

Tommo2

This is not Noel McGinn's first suspension for a headbutt while he was a mentor. Possibly the reason for the increased suspension

Tommo2

Just watched the youtube video again. Beefy (Umpire)has a lot to answer for. He clearly saw McGinn headbutt, but took no action, but when Teague retaliated, he grabbed him and then isolated him so that he could be reprimanded. By right, neither McGinn or Teague should have been on the pitch for extra time.

SidelineKick

Thats the one thing that struck me as weird as well tommo.  Why would this umpire not have acted on what he saw??? It baffled me.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Tommo2 on October 30, 2008, 09:50:55 AM
Just watched the youtube video again. Beefy (Umpire)has a lot to answer for. He clearly saw McGinn headbutt, but took no action, but when Teague retaliated, he grabbed him and then isolated him so that he could be reprimanded. By right, neither McGinn or Teague should have been on the pitch for extra time.

Just after seeing that myself, was any action taken by the referee at the time based on the umpire's viewpoint???

Regarding the different punishments handed down, I think it's only fair the headbutt that provoked the retaliatory headbutt should be punished more severly...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

The Gs Man

So, just out of interest, what does this ban mean exactly?  Can he sit in the stands and watch games?  Can he go into the changing rooms before matches and at half-time? Can he take the team for training?  Is it just a touchline ban?

It's black and white if your a player......i.e. you can still train etc but you just aren't allowed to play matches, but how does it work for a manager? 
Keep 'er lit

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: Take Your Points on October 30, 2008, 10:42:20 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 30, 2008, 09:57:44 AM

Just after seeing that myself, was any action taken by the referee at the time based on the umpire's viewpoint???

Regarding the different punishments handed down, I think it's only fair the headbutt that provoked the retaliatory headbutt should be punished more severly...

Taking that logic, the goalkeeper should be receiving a 104 week ban!

We are extremely upset that yellow Ward who was the trouible starter has only gotten 8 wks, the same as Colly Doris, whom we haven't a clue what he got suspended for was given the same. Why wasn't Ward charged with bring the game into disrepute. 8 wks for what he has done and how it now effects us for next wk will not be forgotten.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Take Your Points on October 30, 2008, 10:42:20 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 30, 2008, 09:57:44 AM

Taking that logic, the goalkeeper should be receiving a 104 week ban!

I take it you don't agree with that logic, each to their own. What did the keeper do???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

redcard

Quote from: SidelineKick on October 30, 2008, 09:56:58 AM
Thats the one thing that struck me as weird as well tommo.  Why would this umpire not have acted on what he saw??? It baffled me.

Catch yourselves on. All of this happened so quick its hard to know how you would react in this situation. id say like everyone else he could hardly beleive his eyes what was happening. id be very surprised also if a man with his experience didnt tell the ref what he saw.

Over the Bar

QuoteYes.

All of a sudden the County Board is willing to hand out heavy punishments for violent conduct.  Everyone knows that this has not always been the case.  There has been no consistency across incidents.

So which county boards have been paragons of consistency then?

Big Mickey

some amount of rubbish spouted here lads

contrary to what some on this board want to believe, the world isnt made up in black and white.one headbutt canr be counted the same as another. mcginns is unprovoked and totally escalated the situation from a bit of handbags into something much uglier. also the sub was totally innocent and didnt do anything to warrant such a reaction. the clonoe sub however acted in response to this and his headbutt wasnt even in the same league of severity,mcginn didnt even hit the ground.

now,for some of those small minded and silly people out there,all you's can see is a headbutt,however each case and the intention of the individual of question must also be considered when handing out punishment.that in my opinion is entirely reasonable and may i also point out this is how the legal justice system works whereby the judge decides taking all factors into account before handing out a retribution..... ;)

sooo, overall i think mcginn's suspension is deserved considering he has a history of headbutting on the sidelines a few yaers back but i think that emmet teague was a bit heavy considering that the normal ban for a player headbutting is 3 months ie 12weeks.dunno what colly doris got suspended for,probably just to even up suspending that idiot ward

tyrone86

Quote from: Take Your Points on October 30, 2008, 03:07:46 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on October 30, 2008, 02:53:00 PM
QuoteYes.

All of a sudden the County Board is willing to hand out heavy punishments for violent conduct.  Everyone knows that this has not always been the case.  There has been no consistency across incidents.

So which county boards have been paragons of consistency then?

Typical response.  Don't dare criticise our County Board or anything to do with Tyrone.

Lets be fair about this, the CCC and their predecessors in the GAC aren't too slow to hand out severe suspensions when they believe the cap fits. In this case, they may be slightly OTT and are likely to be reduced on appeal.

However, one has to consider that, in the period that Noel McGinn has managed Dromore, they have been involved in 3 separate incidents that have made the press - the Championship Semi Final v Carrickmore in 06, the league game v Ardboe in 2007 and Sunday's Championship Final. I might be jumping to conclusions, but for me that indicates a serious lack of discipline. I don't recall Dromore in any similar incidents under O'Neill and McCusker.

As for the comments about Beefy, Peter Ward et al, whilst Ward may have incited things to get a reaction, I would in no way hold him responsible for the entire row. For me, two things caused this melee - 2 sets of hyped up teams heading towards a tunnel at full time when, by right, neither side should have been going near the changing rooms for extra time, and a "1 in, all in" mentality that many team mentors encourage. The inability for the players and mentors to keep their discipline means I have absolutely no sympathy with anyone suspended - if you want to avoid getting suspended, stay out of the row.

Over the Bar

QuoteSo which county boards have been paragons of consistency then?

Typical response.  Don't dare criticise our County Board or anything to do with Tyrone.

Eh? I'm not defending our county board, I'm saying they are all inconsistent in my view, including Croke Park.  If you have a different view lets hear it.

tonesfirstandlast

What action did Tyrone take against their official who knocked down the big lad at half time in the all- ireland final. It didn't look very well on the biggest day in the GAA calendar and could have started a very ugly scene.