Rugby League World Cup

Started by Aerlik, October 25, 2008, 08:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

All the very best to our other international team playing Down Under when Ireland begins its 2008 Rugby League World Cup on Monday v. Tonga.  If I was in or near Sydney then I'd have been going to watch having played the game for four years.

Eire Abu
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

TacadoirArdMhacha

I've see they've made big changes to the format putting the 3 teams with a chance of winning it in the same group of 4 and qualifying 3 from that group for the semis. To qualify for the semis Ireland need to win their group and beat the winners of the other 3 tram group.

Its not a bad system I suppose as if you had England, NZ and Australia in separate groups it'd just turn into a set of meaningless trashings with little appeal. Bit tough on Papua New Guinea though.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Tankie

a shite sport! and its hardly an Ireland team, I think there were more Irish lads on our 1990's soccer teams then are on this team!
Grand Slam Saturday!

TacadoirArdMhacha

The Real Laoislad

This is much more exciting to watch than Rugby Union..
I went to a lot of games when i was living in Sydney
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on October 25, 2008, 11:43:14 AM
I think there were more Irish lads on our 1990's soccer teams then are on this team!

;D ;D
Classic . I'm with Tankie i can't stand  Rugby Lite
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Uladh

Puckoon

/-------American Football
               /
Rugby-----/
              \
               \--------Rugby League

Both Hybrids have their merits - personally I dont really enjoy rugby league in the slightest. I've tried watching it - ITV always had it on on a saturday afternoon, just didnt enjoy it.

The Blegard

Rugby League is probably the best TV game IMO as you can see the whole action in one screen shot. TV does no justce to gaelic or soccer as there is as much action off the ball in regards to runs then the screen can show. This is a reason the crowds arent great but the TV audience is huge in Oz.

Is Adrian Morely still playing for England??. That is the hardest man to ever set foot a pitch
Ceol,Dole agus Ol

TacadoirArdMhacha

What became of Brian Carney? Is he still at Munster?

Old Bill

He is still with munster yea but not getting any gametime unfortunately. watched the england and PNG match today. good even match and good way to start the tournament. Good luck to Ireland on Monday morning. Prefer League to Union myself.

Tankie

Can the lad that say they prefer league to union please  explain why or do they even know what is different. As someone who has played both games(league is  generally played in the summer by union guys to stay fit) i find league the most rediculous game ever as it makes no sence to tackle somebody and not be allowed to steal the ball.
But i have some non - rugby mates telling me lastnite that they prefer league but yet the most either of them have ever watch is about ten mins of leagues and think its better as it looks fast, but yet they did not know why it was faster.

Aagain i say  - its a shite sport that lets a man retain posession of a ball after he has been tackled and then opposition must retreat to allow the team play!!

Can the pro league people here give an arguement for league or do people just not understand the game?
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hardy

Rugby League looks to me like rugby for people with a short attention span.

stephenite

Heading out to watch this game this evening - nothing better to do on a Monday night.

ONeill

Ireland v Tonga latest score

Ireland 0-6 Tonga

Tonga: Talanoa, Vuna, Jennings, Uaisele, Tonga, Mateo, Taufa'ao,
Kaufusi, Leo-Latau, Manuokafoa, L Paea, Fa'aoso, Manu.

Replacements: Moa, Lauaki, Uasi, Williams.

Ireland: Platt, Blanch, Gleeson, Littler, Richards, Grix,
Fitzpatrick, O'Carroll, Beswick, Tandy, Harrison, Doran,
Finnigan.

Replacements: McIlorum, Finn, Haggerty, Cassidy.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.