McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: dowling on August 09, 2010, 12:59:04 AM
No one was saying that. In fact it was the opposite, that regarless of who was managing Cork the problem was the players. It was disingenuous of the players to claim otherwise. And posters were quite clear in that. Maybe if you stopped trying to defend the indefensible you could understand better what people are saying.  ;)

Nail on the head. It didn't matter who was managing Cork. I can't wait to hear what the next excuse is. Kilkenny didn't beat them by enough.

Applesisapples

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 09, 2010, 09:23:09 AM
I agree with Zulu here. This is pointless and cheap. It's all moot because the main players now have 2 years more on the clock as well, whereas Kilkenny seem to be getting better nearly.

I suppose the one point that may be reinforced to the Cork players is how far off Kilkenny they are *now*. I don't think they ever really appreciated that.
Have KK not got two more years on the Clock? Difference is Cody's in charge with Cork its the players hence the result.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 09, 2010, 11:01:44 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 09, 2010, 09:23:09 AM
I agree with Zulu here. This is pointless and cheap. It's all moot because the main players now have 2 years more on the clock as well, whereas Kilkenny seem to be getting better nearly.

I suppose the one point that may be reinforced to the Cork players is how far off Kilkenny they are *now*. I don't think they ever really appreciated that.
Have KK not got two more years on the Clock? Difference is Cody's in charge with Cork its the players hence the result.

The Kilkenny team as a unit was younger then than the Cork team, and therefore still is :) Obviously they have also done a better job in blending in new lads, Fogarty, Fennelly, Dalton, Hogan, Power, etc etc.

theskull1

Quote from: Zulu on August 09, 2010, 12:34:05 AM
Go away out of it ffs! Are ye actually suggesting that if Gerald remained in charge that the beating they took today wouldn't have happened? Much of what ye said back then lack rational logic but this takes the biscuit.

Reading between the lines I see Zulu and seeing comments that nobody posted.

What I am saying and what I was saying back then was that people have a natural tendency to blame others when things aren't going well. The writing was on the wall for that panel two years ago when Ger took them on. Most could see that their ability to play that running game at the intensity needed had wained after many years employing this system with good success. Their performances over the past few years have simply proved what many thought at that time. i.e the players were deluded about why they had lost a level of compeditiveness and made Ger their scapegoat at all costs.

I'd love to know why some consider these points as being
A: Pointless
or
B: Cheap
or
C: Irrational
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

Because you cannot prove anything about 2 years ago. Cork are 2 years older now, so shipping a beating from a Kilkenny team that played better yesterday than 2 years ago does not prove that the Cork lads were wrong back then.

All it proves is that today, this Kilkenny team is far, far better than this Cork team.

Anything else is hypothesising.

theskull1

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 09, 2010, 12:07:26 PM
Because you cannot prove anything about 2 years ago. Cork are 2 years older now, so shipping a beating from a Kilkenny team that played better yesterday than 2 years ago does not prove that the Cork lads were wrong back then.

All it proves is that today, this Kilkenny team is far, far better than this Cork team.

::)
Nice irony there AZ.  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

magpie seanie

OK lets agree with your argument so. Similar "hypothesising" was reason enough for the shenanigans the Cork players indulged in so what's good for the goose etc...

orangeman

Surely that's hypothesising ?.

AZOffaly

Not at all. I'm saying it doesn't prove anything either way. That's a fact :D

It's hypothetical to say that Denis Walsh in charge would (OR WOULD NOT) have made a difference in 2008.

It's hypothetical to say that Gerald McCarthy in charge in 2010 would (OR WOULD NOT) have made a difference yesterday.

I think the two games are unrelated occurences in terms of the rights or wrongs of the result back then.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 09, 2010, 12:22:56 PM

OK lets agree with your argument so. Similar "hypothesising" was reason enough for the shenanigans the Cork players indulged in so what's good for the goose etc...

Absolutely. No arguments there. What I'm saying is that rehashing the one argument on the basis of what happened yesterday is pointless.

imtommygunn

Quote from: orangeman on August 09, 2010, 12:23:05 PM

Surely that's hypothesising ?.

How? You can only speculate what harm or good a strike did that cork team. You or I will never know. Nothing can be proven or disproven.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 09, 2010, 12:26:34 PM

Absolutely. No arguments there. What I'm saying is that rehashing the one argument on the basis of what happened yesterday is pointless.

And cheap ?  ;)

AZOffaly

Exactly :D Are we all in violent agreement here?

I thought there was some notion that the beating yesterday somehow put the tin hat on the Cork lads actions back then.

I'm saying you can't prove or disprove whether they were right or wrong BACK THEN on the basis of a game two years later.

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on August 09, 2010, 12:31:27 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 09, 2010, 12:26:34 PM

And cheap ?  ;)

It's cheap because it is the easy shot to take.

'Ye gave out about Gerald back in 2008 when ye were bate, and now ye were bate by more, so take that ye feckers'.

I think that's an easy dig to give, and is not based on anything other than Karma.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 09, 2010, 12:31:47 PM
Exactly :D Are we all in violent agreement here?

I thought there was some notion that the beating yesterday somehow put the tin hat on the Cork lads actions back then.

I'm saying you can't prove or disprove whether they were right or wrong BACK THEN on the basis of a game two years later.

But what we can say is that Cork have not avanced as a result of staging yet another strike in terms of their perforamce against KK in 2008 as compared with 2010 ?.  ;)