McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatler Jack

QuoteBut Cork, ye'll moan and bitch and cry

We may do lots of things Reillers but those of us who opposed the disgraceful treatment of Gerald don't' moan, bitch and certainly not cry. We merely show up the inconsistency, hypocrisy and sheer revisionism of people like you. If the issue was always about the CB then the players and their fellow travellers like your self should have said that from the outset and justified their strike accordingly. Instead ye tried to sully Gerald's name, question his coaching ability and question why he took the job. When that was not getting enough support the players managed to skilfully make it an issue about the CB, etc.  All along they refused to concede that any of the shortcomings with their performances might be to do with the fact that they were no longer as good as they once were.  No matter what spin you put on it Reillers what happened was shameful, unnecessary and has done a lot of harm. If Gerald was a pawn in the whole episode then the players and supporters who made him a pawn should be ashamed of themselves.

As for Waterford what happened there and the way Justin was shafted was equally reprehensible - however I gather that some of your heroes and their GPA accomplices fully supported the coup!!!

Reillers

Quote from: Tatler Jack on August 03, 2009, 11:19:56 PM
QuoteBut Cork, ye'll moan and bitch and cry

We may do lots of things Reillers but those of us who opposed the disgraceful treatment of Gerald don't' moan, bitch and certainly not cry. We merely show up the inconsistency, hypocrisy and sheer revisionism of people like you. If the issue was always about the CB then the players and their fellow travellers like your self should have said that from the outset and justified their strike accordingly. Instead ye tried to sully Gerald's name, question his coaching ability and question why he took the job. When that was not getting enough support the players managed to skilfully make it an issue about the CB, etc.  All along they refused to concede that any of the shortcomings with their performances might be to do with the fact that they were no longer as good as they once were.  No matter what spin you put on it Reillers what happened was shameful, unnecessary and has done a lot of harm. If Gerald was a pawn in the whole episode then the players and supporters who made him a pawn should be ashamed of themselves.

As for Waterford what happened there and the way Justin was shafted was equally reprehensible - however I gather that some of your heroes and their GPA accomplices fully supported the coup!!!

THEY DID. It was ALWAYS, about the CCB. The went on strike, and it's been said on so many occasions, was because of the actions of the CCB. The CCB put up Gerald up as a shield, and had no problem doing so, but yet again, as usual, I see they've been avoided criticism. It became personal with the war of words, but never did it stop being about the CCB.

The clubs didn't back the players because they hated Gerald, it was to stand up against the CCB. The clubs didn't meet and shout about Gerald McCarthy, it was the cb that they were furious with.
Every single club that voted backed the players fully, they wouldn't do that, nor would there have been one massive strike because of one man, it was because of the actions yet again of the CCB, if Gerald had been appointed in the proper manner then they would have went on and played under him, and some might have even walked away on their own, but like I said what happened was about the actions of the CCB.

And you prove yet again that you couldn't care less about facts.
Justin was thrown out because Waterford hadn't the bottle to win big games when they were in the position to, and got rid of Justin, after he made them as good as they are now, all those years of great service as manager, without a second thought, because of their failings. And that was made clear by the players. But instead of actually really criticising the Waterford team you, as I knew ye would, turned this back on the Cork lads and started moaning all over again.

Surprise surpise, just more excuses.

deiseach

While I have no time for the manner in which Justin McCarthy was shafted, I would say that players seem to have some sense of embarrassment over the way it went down. Check out Ken McGrath's comments on reaching the All-Ireland final last year:

Quote"We won three Munsters and a League with Justin and we can't forget that too easily. Where we came from a few years ago - you know we were playing Division Two in 96/97.

"We give great credit to Justin but times move on, things move on. We all have great time for Justin and good respect for him and I'm sure he's happy for us today."

orangeman

If it was only about the CB, why did Sean Og and the lads break their backs to get their training bags and hurls to go to training, the very second that Gerald was intimidated,hounded out of the job and resigned ??

Had it only been about the county board, they'd not have hurled the year more ( in fact come to think of it, they didn't hurl that much anyway ).  ;)

It was back to business as soon as Gerald copped himself on.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on August 03, 2009, 11:39:08 PM
If it was only about the CB, why did Sean Og and the lads break their backs to get their training bags and hurls to go to training, the very second that Gerald was intimidated,hounded out of the job and resigned ??

Had it only been about the county board, they'd not have hurled the year more ( in fact come to think of it, they didn't hurl that much anyway ).  ;)

They went on strike because of the way he was appointed, and that was crystal clear from the beggining, all of what happened, happened because of what what went on in the meetings. They said they would refuse to play under Gerald because the way he was appointed and that they wouldn't play again under Gerald because of that, and they kept their word. If they didn't ye'd be calling them liars. Ye're never happy, and like I said, we all know that this really isn't fully about the way Gerald was treated because if it was, like I said, there would be a 500 page topic about how pathetic the Waterford team were and ye'd still be moaning abou tthem. But there's not, and that's proof enough. Instead, all ye do is cry and moan about the big bad Cork players. Nothing about their actions, no logic to that, because if it was there'd be a Waterford topic to match it. Deny it all ye want it's the truth.

I've been over this and over this again and again, I'm not repeating myself yet again, just because ye refuse to accept the facts, well that's ye're own fault,

But try as ye might, and try to spin it all ye want, at the end of the day the clubs gave the players their complete backing, all those people voted and they all backed the players, and it wasn't close, it was almost pretty unanimous, and there's a reason for that. Not because of mob rule or whatever excuse ye try to form, but because they were right, the CCB, yet again had gone too far on their power trip, but the clubs, for the first time united in such a massive way under the players, stood up and were counted, the CCB had gone too far, and if anything the report should remove any doubts that say otherwise, it shows how pathetic they are, but of course I sincerely doubt that any of ye even bothered reading it.

Tatler Jack

QuoteBut instead of actually really criticising the Waterford team you, as I knew ye would, turned this back on the Cork lads and started moaning all over again.

I was criticising the Waterford team and CB you moron. I was just also pointing out the uncomfortable fact that what happened was supported by the GPA including some of your heros. For someone who iplaces such importance on facts I think you should read more carefully what people write. You should also check the meaning of the word moan as you tend to misuse it.

bingobus

Was talking to the brother of a wexford intercounty hurler at weekend.

We where was talking about the GPA and that his brothers thoughts on it was that they have gone way off agenda and he'd not be overly keen on their current stance. He'd never go as far as strike for them and wouldn't consider himself a member.

He said that on the All-star trip this year, the Cork players where very active in getting other players into the GPA way of think and wanted the others to get more actively involved in GPA activities.

anglocelt39

Reillers, I note and am glad that you are so anxious to draw close parallels between the treatment afforded to Justin and Gerald in Waterford and Cork respectively. In the Waterford case it was straighforward and squalid-players wanting to get rid of the manager in the belief (mistaken or otherwise) that a change of manager was what was needed to bring success. So in your anxiety to link the Waterford and Cork cases so closely I am glad you are finally admitting what has been apparent for some time now, in Cork's case it was about getting rid of Gerald.

Better late than never
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Reillers

Quote from: Tatler Jack on August 04, 2009, 10:06:29 AM
QuoteBut instead of actually really criticising the Waterford team you, as I knew ye would, turned this back on the Cork lads and started moaning all over again.

I was criticising the Waterford team and CB you moron. I was just also pointing out the uncomfortable fact that what happened was supported by the GPA including some of your heros. For someone who iplaces such importance on facts I think you should read more carefully what people write. You should also check the meaning of the word moan as you tend to misuse it.

You had a couple of words on it, nothing to the extent at all of how much ye spend crying about the big bad players.
ANd you said, and I quote..

"If Gerald was a pawn in the whole episode then the players and supporters who made him a pawn should be ashamed of themselves." Nothing about the CCB who were the ones who put him up as a sheild. But I doubt I'll get an apology of someone like you, you "moron." You may want to pay some attention to what you write in the future.

You actually pretty much dilute the CB altogether because you said,

"When that was not getting enough support the players managed ic skilfully make it an issue about the CB, etc"

Which is factually wrong more then anything, but clearly you're not aware of the facts, so seeing as you don't know, they refused to play after he was appointed in the wrong way. All of what happened was because of what went on in the meetings. You clearly, from what I've highlighted above, no little about the goings on in Cork.
Sure have yourself a little read of this, it's about the Cork County Board, I presume you haven't read it. It's a tiny taste of how the clubs view the Cb in Cork.
http://www.filefront.com/14098627/Cork%20GAA%20Clubs%20Forum%20Interim%20Report%2021st%20July%202009%20R00.doc

Reillers

Quote from: anglocelt39 on August 04, 2009, 12:52:30 PM
Reillers, I note and am glad that you are so anxious to draw close parallels between the treatment afforded to Justin and Gerald in Waterford and Cork respectively. In the Waterford case it was straighforward and squalid-players wanting to get rid of the manager in the belief (mistaken or otherwise) that a change of manager was what was needed to bring success. So in your anxiety to link the Waterford and Cork cases so closely I am glad you are finally admitting what has been apparent for some time now, in Cork's case it was about getting rid of Gerald.

Better late than never

I presumed you coiuld read, wont make that mistake again, you know full well that I was pointing out how different they were. Waterford players (and don't give me this bullshit, mistake or otherwise) if you cared about the morals of what the Cork players did but you'd despise the Waterford players, what they did was 100 times worse, there's was clearly for selfish reasons, blaming Justin for their failings. This is about ye're hate for Cork hurlers, if it wasn't there would be a 500 page topic about how much ye hate Waterford, and there'd be no hyporcitical bullshit about how the players are the son of the devil and Waterford, (mistaken or otherwise) felt they needed a new manager to bring success.
Hypocirites the lot of ye.

stevetharlear

Funnilly enough I actually agree with you on this, I was disappointed that they went back straight away, at the time I thought they should have stayed out until heads rolled on the CCB executive. I was in a minority with this thinking though, there would have been a massive drop in support for them had they stayed out.

They mobilised the clubs though, at the time I thought that the momentum would be lost but I hope to be proved wrong this winter.

deiseach

100 times worse? How restrained. Why not a billion, gajillion, fafillion times worse?

orangeman

Quote from: stevetharlear on August 04, 2009, 01:39:48 PM

Funnilly enough I actually agree with you on this, I was disappointed that they went back straight away, at the time I thought they should have stayed out until heads rolled on the CCB executive. I was in a minority with this thinking though, there would have been a massive drop in support for them had they stayed out.

They mobilised the clubs though, at the time I thought that the momentum would be lost but I hope to be proved wrong this winter.

Had they stayed out, they could have inflicted serious damage to the CB but given their unholy hasteto get back to hurling it worked against them as most people took the view that their only real gripe was with Gerald and all the stuff about the CB was only a smokescreen.

Tatler Jack

Reillers believe me I am well aware of what went on frome very outset of the strike and up to the time Gerald was forced out by the mob. I also know what went on in clubs - unlike you I attended our club meeting where the issue was discussed. And most who voted to get rid  of Gerald diid so because they were supporting the players view that Gerald was not up to the job as coach.  I have read the  report that was brought out recently - some I agree with and some I think is not practical.  You may disaree with me but don't always resort to the comfort blanket that others "don't know the facts".  And you should not always believe everything you read on Rebel GAA - the main source of your "facts"

anglocelt39

Reillers, I'm feeling charitable today so I will take some time out to help you broaden your horizons. Why, indeed, do we have a lengthy thread devoted to the treatment of Gerald McCarthy by the Cork strikers while the treatment of his namesake east of the Blackwater is relatively small beer. Why indeed. County managers being shafted by combinations of players, clubs, County board is, unfortunately, a rather common fact of life in the GAA. Just a quick list below of some persons who are entitled to feel let down at their treatment:

Hurling:

Cork Gerald McCarthy'
Waterford Justin McCarthy
Offaly Babs Keating.

Football

Derry Eamon Coleman (RIP)
Sligo Dominic Corrigan
Cavan Liam Austin, Val Andrews, Tom Carr (potentially)
Offaly Paul O Kelly, Gerry Fahy

The list goes on, but sure there's a few to be getting on with. Now, spot the Odd one out Reillers. Clue:

Which one of these counties featured players willing to disrupt national competitions, not giving a damn for the impact on other counties or club players in their quest to get rid of their boss?

So I suppose the moral of the story is that next time ye have a domestic, keep it in house like the rest of us and nobody will be unduly bothered.

Anyway, as regards the progess made, just to get back to my prior question which has been overlooked, when was the last time the Cork hurlers had their senior championship hurling done and dusted by end of July?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds