McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on July 30, 2009, 06:23:11 PM
Here we go again :

Gerard got to AI semi final beating Galway with 14 men in a thriller giving KK a good game.
Result : Reillers reckons he's a "shite manager" and "kept winning despite the tactics".  ;)

Denis never got out of Thurles falling to Galway without raising a gallop, not even making the quarter final and exiting the championship in record speed. Nobody has been able to tell me the last time Cork were out at this stage as it has been such a long time.
Result : Reillers reckons that Denis has made great progress with the team even though he simply wanted the season over as soon as possible.  :D

Hard to work this out. But hey, anything is possible when you live in Reillersland.

OM in missing the point entirely shocker...

stevetharlear

Jesus lads, would ye give it a break with the Cork bashing?

The way lads are on about Denis Walsh, you'd swear he was the players choice of manager. He wasn't, he's a guy that was acceptable to both sides and picked by a comittee of ex-players... the majority of whom had come out against the current players during the dispute.

Lets give him at least the benefit of a full season with his team before we compare him with Gerald or other managers. He's got some work to do though!

dowling

Steve don't let your fanaticism get in the way of your reading. No one is bashing Cork or Denis Walsh.
The strikers stated that Gerald's managerial and coaching ability was not up to the mark and was holding them back. So how does that tally with this year's performances.

stevetharlear

Quote from: dowling on August 02, 2009, 10:36:52 AM
Steve don't let your fanaticism get in the way of your reading. No one is bashing Cork or Denis Walsh.
The strikers stated that Gerald's managerial and coaching ability was not up to the mark and was holding them back. So how does that tally with this year's performances.

the skull1 wrote... "The reality being of course that Galway had the same frialties this year that they had last year but Cork didn't have it to beat them this year, which equals at the very best zero progress with Denis Walsh at the helm."

No fanaticism here dowling, this ain't Reillers you're talking to. If anyone's a fanatic it's surely yourself, still posting away in this thread all these months later, it's true what they say... Cork are 'box-office', baby.

theskull1

???
I was definitely not bashing denis walsh. I was highlighting the fact that the players performance level capabilities has dropped and who was managing them had no effect on that reality. It's only now that that has been truly exposed. Will the 2008 players own up now and apologise to Ger for blaming him for their own failings?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

heffo

Apparantly there is going to be a fairly explosive revelation in an upcoming Strikers biography..

dowling

Quote from: stevetharlear on August 02, 2009, 11:23:34 AM
Quote from: dowling on August 02, 2009, 10:36:52 AM

the skull1 wrote... "The reality being of course that Galway had the same frialties this year that they had last year but Cork didn't have it to beat them this year, which equals at the very best zero progress with Denis Walsh at the helm."

No fanaticism here dowling, this ain't Reillers you're talking to. If anyone's a fanatic it's surely yourself, still posting away in this thread all these months later, it's true what they say... Cork are 'box-office', baby.

Well Skull answered that deflection. The strikers were saying that the Cork hurling panel plus gerald = underachievement.
So what does the Cork hurling panel minus Gerald =?
You're the fanatic here Steve because you can't see the end of the debate nor apply any logic. Like a few others you want the debate to stop at Gerald's departure and seem afraid to follow things to their conclusion.

stevetharlear

Quote from: dowling on August 02, 2009, 06:22:24 PMYou're the fanatic here Steve because you can't see the end of the debate nor apply any logic. Like a few others you want the debate to stop at Gerald's departure and seem afraid to follow things to their conclusion.

The logic that should be applied is to see how Cork get on under Denis next year. That should be the end of the debate. I haven't heard 1 person in Cork say that they think we'd have done better this year under Gerald. There must be no logic in the county therefore?

"afraid to follow things to their conclusion"... this is hurling dowling, for Christs sake, there will be no conclusion, Cork will come back, it may not be next year but they will be back. Will that be the conclusion? When we next win an All Ireland? Or will the conclusion come when we lose our next championship game? That'd be handy for you, but I'm afraid hurling in Cork will go on.

Maybe the conclusion will be when one of the demon strikers lifts Liam, I wouldn't bet against it.

orangeman

Saw Frank Murphy on the hollowed ground today in Croker. The Cork palyers were very comfortable with him and he with them. Good to see that the FM argument was never an issue in the strike.

Great to see the Cork footballers doing well and good to see FM in the middle of yet another happy, successful Cork team. I didn't notice too much wrong with the way Cork football is. Maybe they've just got good players ?

Pity the hurlers aren't as content with their lot as past few years.

longrunsthefox

Saw young Donal and Dermot rock going into Jurys opposite Croke Park after the game today.  Sadly they will be best rememered for the strike and GPA crap and aggitation  :-[   

dowling

Quote from: stevetharlear on August 02, 2009, 06:36:13 PM
Quote from: dowling on August 02, 2009, 06:22:24 PMYou're the fanatic here Steve because you can't see the end of the debate nor apply any logic. Like a few others you want the debate to stop at Gerald's departure and seem afraid to follow things to their conclusion.

The logic that should be applied is to see how Cork get on under Denis next year. That should be the end of the debate. I haven't heard 1 person in Cork say that they think we'd have done better this year under Gerald. There must be no logic in the county therefore?

"afraid to follow things to their conclusion"... this is hurling dowling, for Christs sake, there will be no conclusion, Cork will come back, it may not be next year but they will be back. Will that be the conclusion? When we next win an All Ireland? Or will the conclusion come when we lose our next championship game? That'd be handy for you, but I'm afraid hurling in Cork will go on.

Maybe the conclusion will be when one of the demon strikers lifts Liam, I wouldn't bet against it.

So following your logic Steve the strikers will be proved right the next time Cork lift the Liam McCarthy cup. And of course they will lift it again but your argument just underlines your fanaticism. Most people on this thread argued the hurling panel weren't what they had been. That panel's season has ended and we've been proven right. Regarding the strikers' claims about Gerald and how they could achieve more without him that issue has been concluded and the strikers actually achieved less. Take off the rose tinted specs and stop apportioning blame to everyone else while failing to recognise this squad aren't what they used to be.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on August 02, 2009, 10:31:40 PM
Quote from: stevetharlear on August 02, 2009, 06:36:13 PM

So following your logic Steve the strikers will be proved right the next time Cork lift the Liam McCarthy cup. And of course they will lift it again but your argument just underlines your fanaticism. Most people on this thread argued the hurling panel weren't what they had been. That panel's season has ended and we've been proven right. Regarding the strikers' claims about Gerald and how they could achieve more without him that issue has been concluded and the strikers actually achieved less. Take off the rose tinted specs and stop apportioning blame to everyone else while failing to recognise this squad aren't what they used to be.

Ya we have been proven right, the clubs have completley backed the players, which is more then enough proof for me. They formed the forum and it wrote up a complete and what has to be said a humiliating review of the Cork County Board and when everyone meets at the convention hopefully it will get things moving.
And if it doesn't, well..at least people can see what a joke the CCB really is.

The CCB needs to change, that was our arguement, they are the main problem, Gerald was just a pawn, which was always the arguement. No one, not one player said that they would have won more if it wasn't for Gerald. But wanting the manager to turn up on time or to know players names/what clubs they play for isn't too much to ask for imo, but clearly not your's.

But you're right, we have been proven right. The strike was about the CCB's actions, clubs all stood up against the CCB and backed the players stance, which proves, well should have, that the players were right, and not only that, if you bothered reading the report then I don't see how you could disagree with the players stance against the CCB.

Why because for the 100th time Dowling the strike was about the CCB, Gerald just got caught in the middle, and it became a war of words, but it was always, ALWAYS about the actions of the CCB. But clearly you're having a little problem understanding that.
I mean how many more times, and by how many people does it have to be said before you believe it.
I mean the players, the clubs, most of the media..etc. All of them say it was about the CCB, how much longer will it take for you to get it, how much longer most we all wait before the penny drops?

The players went on strike why? Because the way in which the CCB reappointed Gerald.
In the players press conference the main problem was, not Gerald but..the CCB.
The 10,000 supporters didn't come and march against Gerald, not really, it was the CCB.
The clubs met with the players and they didn't vent and shout and express their anger about Gerald it was about, yes you've guessed it the CCB.
The clubs then met which eachother and formed the forum against the CCB.
The clubs all then voted against the CCB.

But oh waid I forgot, there's always an excuses isn't there. The players are only using it as an excuse, the 10,000 supporters were only shopers, the clubs meeting and voting for the players against the CCB, well that's just mob rule, and the press well apparently no journalist seems to have any dignity and are all interested in writing apparent biographies.
Always an excuse right?

How many more times do you think it has to be said. If you want to whine about a team that got rid of their manager because they weren't winning, go whine about Waterford. But never have you said a word against them, too busy obsessing about Cork.
In Cork there are bigger issues. Issues clearly that you are incappable of understanding. But sometimes, when you're older you'll realise this, that things aren't as black and white as you seem to think they are.

I'm so tired of  repeating myself, I'm so tired of this subject, just let it be. Like it has been said, there's no conclusion in sport. Just because Cork lost to Galway, it means nothing, and I genuinely can't believe that you moan about the "disgraceful treatment" of Gerald and have so a low opinion of Walsh, and wont even give him a chance. It's ironic, but pathetic.

stevetharlear

Quote from: dowling on August 02, 2009, 10:31:40 PMwhile failing to recognise this squad aren't what they used to be.
Dowling cop yourself on will ya, where have I said that the Cork team are as good as they were?

Your logic my friend is seriously flawed.

anglocelt39

Ah Reillers. Just a small point. Nobody is dishing out Bouquets to Waterford for the manner in which they behaved towards Justin McCarthy last year. But in fairness now they didn't disrupt or threaten to disrupt a national competition if they didn't get their way. In fairness too, for whatever reason, Waterford have improved from a fairly low ebb when they changed manager. Maybe the players and management had got too familiar with each other after several years, who knows.

And just as regards your latest thesis on the Cork situation. I don't recall anything from the strikers about their latest going back to playing being conditional on any sort of move against the County Board at the next convention, but sure I could have missed out on that detail. So Reillers, you can get as annoyed as you like with Dowling constantly making references to the Elephant in the room but it's hard to avoid i.e.

Strike on;
McCarthy turfed out=strike off=strong suggestion that it was about McCarthy;
Performances well back on what they were under McCarthy=suggests performance problems might have been something more than to do with management.

Seeing things in black and white terms can be difficult sometimes Reillers, particularly where it flies in the face of the argument you've been regurgitating (assisted by a few missing in action types in fairness to you now) over the past several months.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Reillers

You actually think Waterford have improved under Fitz? Under Justin McCarthy they were one of the best, Waterford were incredibly unlucky not to get the the AI final under Justin on so many occasions, I mean they were involved in some of the best games ever, mostly against Cork, 2004, 06, 07. Under the new management, they have been shocking but managed to get to the AI final, but were humiliated, if they had gotten there under Justin, on any of the occasions they would have actually challenged for the title. And this year, they were involved in one of the worst hurling games I've ever seen and shouldn't have, but did beat Galway, only because Galway threw the game away in a way I've never seen before. Mullane is in incredible form, but that's it. Waterford have gotten 10 times worse since they got rid of Justin. The fact that you think that first off, they were at a "fairly low ebb"  before they changed manager, and secondly, that you actually think they've gotten better. Says a lot about how little you know about the game.

And don't try and fool us. Ye're hypocrites. Not a problem with Waterford, despite the fact that what they did was blatantly and obviously blaming Justin for their own failings.
But Cork, ye'll moan and bitch and cry about them all day long, despite them having a valid reason for doing what they did, and despite getting backing from all the clubs in Cork, nearly all the supporters, it's not enough, every club voted pretty much unanimously for the Cork hurlers, backing their stand, but hey, I forgot there most be an excuse for that. It doesn't matter what the facts are, or who did what or why, if it was there'd be a, we all hate Waterford, topic that would be 500 pages long, but ye don't. Ye could at least admit that. And just because it didn't gon on as long in Waterford as it did in Cork shouldn't matter, ye say that's not the issue with them. It's the "disgraceful treatment" of Gerald. So it shouldn't matter how long it went on for. Justin McCarthy was treated 100 times worse after years of service to those players, making them as good as they are, he was an excellent coach, but he was treated terribly, much worse then Gerald and they made it blatantly clear why they got rid of Justin.
So stop pretending that there's a difference, there's not. Justin was treated much worse, and either start a topic about that or get off ye're high horse and just admit the truth.