McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

I'm not comparing Walsh and Gerald at all Reillers, just what you said about Walsh before the Galway game and after it. A big turnaround. But I suppose rather than acknowledge a lesser performance this year to last you have to throw something in.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on July 25, 2009, 11:33:55 AM
Quote from: Reillers on July 25, 2009, 11:24:10 AM
I said he made the right decision most of the time. He made the call to go with experience over argueably the better players. But that was his call, he knew the team, he knew how they were training. He made the call, he didn't really have much choice as he didn't have enough time to make the team his own. If he had been there from the start, that we had all proper winter training, all the League..etc. Then I think he should have gone with the younger players. But at the end of the day he probably felt that the younger players weren't ready, Brian Murphy was just back..etc. So there wasn't much choice then to play the old guard and trust them. To be honest, like I'm sure I said, Walsh just wanted the season to be over with all ready so he could start to build towards next season.
He had two years Gerald made the same mistakes over and over again. Against Galway we were beaten by the better team. Against KK way back, his decisions were so infuriating, I mean the game style he made the team play was ancient and it played right into KK's plans, he made stupid decisions when it came to making subs, and he never learned. Walsh has got good ideas and plans, and he's brought in young players to key positions and with more time he'll have much more of an impact. And for the first time in 2 years the team looks to be moving forward. If you can't see why, well that's your problem, because clearly you're not going to accept Walsh, or see how bad a manager Gerald was. Ye wont even give him a chance, which says a lot about ye really. Ye keep, I don't know what to call it, boasting I suppose, that Gerald was manager when we got to a semi and Walsh didn't which means, no question about it Gerald was a better manager, it's that simple, that black and white. Ye wont consider for a second that we got a much harder draw with Walsh. Ye continue to try and make him out to be a bad manager which is a bit pathetic and unfair. Ye show no respect to Galway or to Walsh. Which at this stage, is honestly something I'm not surprised to see, ye'll do and say anything to make these players look bad.

Wlash wanted the season over with ?? You can't be serious about that ??? OMG.

Moving foward ?? That's funny. Do you mean that Wlash is going to get rid if the lads that you say are past it ??

You keep on saying that Cork got harder opposition last year. Did you play Galway in Thurles last year ??

You really are a clown OM. FFS.
Walsh on some level, just like the rest of us, wanted this horrible season over with so he could start over, have months to prepare and put his mark on the team. It'd been a long draining season, and that was off the pitch. He along with a lot of us just probably to be able to start afresh.

Moving forward. Are you really that challenged? Moving forward, like every other team in the county, every team in every sport, needs to move forward, Galway have a lot this year. Move forward, take forward steps into becomming a better team. You surely aren't that slow.

On Galway, (the fact that you just made the statement you made says how little you know.) We played Galway last year who weren't even a shadow of the team met this year, this year it wasn't just Canning we played, the Galway team was much more united, and other teams were on much better form and more then one player played well on his own. Like I said the fact that you had to ask that question says a lot about you.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on July 25, 2009, 11:39:58 AM
I'm not comparing Walsh and Gerald at all Reillers, just what you said about Walsh before the Galway game and after it. A big turnaround. But I suppose rather than acknowledge a lesser performance this year to last you have to throw something in.

Yes you are that's EXACTLY what you're doing. And you're giving Galway no credit either. Walsh in your eyes is a shocking manager because we didn't beat one of the favs to win the AI. Did the team play as good as they did against Galway last season, no, but that preformance last season was a stand, Galway weren't really motivated , it was their first real challenge and they weren't up to it, while Cork were 100% because Donal Og had just been sent off. But don't kid yourself, all you're doing is comparing Walsh to Gerald and it's unfair. Gerald got lucky last season, and if it wasn't for the players natural abilities as hurlers then we would have gone out a lot earlier then we had. But you show Walsh no respect and you wont give him, or Galway for that matter any credit. It's a bit low for your standards, but it's what I've come to expect at this stage.

orangeman

MATCH REPORT SATURDAY 19TH JULY 2008

Surreal is one of the words I would use to describe the way this clash transformed from the ridiculous to the sublime.

Find out what games we'd like you to report on this week here.

A first half chocked with, and dominated by; the punctiliousness of Barry Kelly, was greeted by a flash of brutish genius from the youngest player on the pitch, but more noticeably by a crescendo of booing as a brooding distaste for the figure in authority's application of his franchise broke the championship surface tension in Thurles.

There is much to be admired in this Cork team (the return to top form of both Joe Deane and Ben O'Connor being just two of them) and when they were dealt a sucker punch in the first half their response was fascinating.

Cork opened the match in decent form. They raced into a four point lead only to be reeled in a little by Joe Cannings bustling one handed strike. This brought an ill tempered response from a highly wired Dónal Óg Cusack who received a yellow card for his troubles, something he would rue very shortly.

Canning's goal was one of the highlights of an all round master performance. His play is littered with masterfully deft touches and vision years beyond his maturity, and finished off by sublime striking.

The goal drew on his last gift: pure brute strength. Canning caught a high ball on the edge of the large parallelogram and burrowed and buffeted past an un-cooperative Diarmuid O'Sullivan in a tangle of limbs and bulk that gradually brawled its way towards the goal.

The last thing we saw from this tangle was Canning's hurl sling out around the girth of O'Sullivan and slap the sliotar to the net tennis style. It was incredibly silken skill at the end of brute power. Magnificent.

Donal Óg saw red the second time when he lunged at Alan Kerins in an unsuccessful attempt to save his net. This was just before the half time whistle and it resulted in a penalty and the loss of the Cork goalie. Cork brought on Martin Coleman to fill the gap and called Cathal Noughtan home.

Canning scored and Cork were down to fourteen and we had reached a turning point, but who would take the impetus? As so often happens, it was not the team who looked best poised to push on.

Half time came and Gerald McCarthy rethought his snap decision and brought Noughton back on the field. Reflecting on matters he probably thought that Noughton was just the ticket in the roomier spaces of the rejinked Cork forward division.

Ben O'Connor came out on the wing (and ruled it for the rest of the game) and Joe Deane and Noughton were left to play with the spaces in the full forward line. Galway had no answer for this trio who tormented them for the entire second half.

Cork were struggling equally with Joe Canning who now set about leading John Gardiner a merry dance. Cork would power away from midfield and half back and their scoring trio delivered.

Canning would reply from near and far doing both the job of forager and finisher. With a bit of help from his forward colleagues it might have worked out differently.

You would have to feel at least a twinge of sympathy for the Tribesmen. They played in the best game of hurling of the year and are out of the championship after losing just one game. Cork have the wind in their sails and feel they can take on the world.

Cork: D Cusack; S O'Neaill, D O'Sullivan, B Murphy; J Gardiner (capt) (0-02), R Curran, S Ó hAilpín; T Kenny, J O'Connor; P Cronin, N McCarthy (0-01), T McCarthy; B O'Connor (0-12), J Deane (0-04), C Naughton (0-03).
Subs: P Horgan (0-01) for T McCarthy, M Coleman for Naughton, C Naughton for D O'Sullivan.

What's new ? What's different ? A manager who you said just wanted the season OVER WITH ????? Some man that. I'm surprised there's not a march organised through the city to get rid of him at this stage for such treachery ?? Or do they prefer the winter weather for this past time ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4StKyR5-RM

orangeman

Note the date. 19th July 2008.

18th July 2009. A manager that just wanted the season over with.  ;)

Cork bate Galway with 14 men last year. One of Cork's finest displays.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on July 25, 2009, 12:03:01 PM
MATCH REPORT SATURDAY 19TH JULY 2008

Surreal is one of the words I would use to describe the way this clash transformed from the ridiculous to the sublime.

Find out what games we'd like you to report on this week here.

A first half chocked with, and dominated by; the punctiliousness of Barry Kelly, was greeted by a flash of brutish genius from the youngest player on the pitch, but more noticeably by a crescendo of booing as a brooding distaste for the figure in authority's application of his franchise broke the championship surface tension in Thurles.

There is much to be admired in this Cork team (the return to top form of both Joe Deane and Ben O'Connor being just two of them) and when they were dealt a sucker punch in the first half their response was fascinating.

Cork opened the match in decent form. They raced into a four point lead only to be reeled in a little by Joe Cannings bustling one handed strike. This brought an ill tempered response from a highly wired Dónal Óg Cusack who received a yellow card for his troubles, something he would rue very shortly.

Canning's goal was one of the highlights of an all round master performance. His play is littered with masterfully deft touches and vision years beyond his maturity, and finished off by sublime striking.

The goal drew on his last gift: pure brute strength. Canning caught a high ball on the edge of the large parallelogram and burrowed and buffeted past an un-cooperative Diarmuid O'Sullivan in a tangle of limbs and bulk that gradually brawled its way towards the goal.

The last thing we saw from this tangle was Canning's hurl sling out around the girth of O'Sullivan and slap the sliotar to the net tennis style. It was incredibly silken skill at the end of brute power. Magnificent.

Donal Óg saw red the second time when he lunged at Alan Kerins in an unsuccessful attempt to save his net. This was just before the half time whistle and it resulted in a penalty and the loss of the Cork goalie. Cork brought on Martin Coleman to fill the gap and called Cathal Noughtan home.

Canning scored and Cork were down to fourteen and we had reached a turning point, but who would take the impetus? As so often happens, it was not the team who looked best poised to push on.

Half time came and Gerald McCarthy rethought his snap decision and brought Noughton back on the field. Reflecting on matters he probably thought that Noughton was just the ticket in the roomier spaces of the rejinked Cork forward division.

Ben O'Connor came out on the wing (and ruled it for the rest of the game) and Joe Deane and Noughton were left to play with the spaces in the full forward line. Galway had no answer for this trio who tormented them for the entire second half.

Cork were struggling equally with Joe Canning who now set about leading John Gardiner a merry dance. Cork would power away from midfield and half back and their scoring trio delivered.

Canning would reply from near and far doing both the job of forager and finisher. With a bit of help from his forward colleagues it might have worked out differently.

You would have to feel at least a twinge of sympathy for the Tribesmen. They played in the best game of hurling of the year and are out of the championship after losing just one game. Cork have the wind in their sails and feel they can take on the world.

Cork: D Cusack; S O'Neaill, D O'Sullivan, B Murphy; J Gardiner (capt) (0-02), R Curran, S Ó hAilpín; T Kenny, J O'Connor; P Cronin, N McCarthy (0-01), T McCarthy; B O'Connor (0-12), J Deane (0-04), C Naughton (0-03).
Subs: P Horgan (0-01) for T McCarthy, M Coleman for Naughton, C Naughton for D O'Sullivan.

What's new ? What's different ? A manager who you said just wanted the season OVER WITH ????? Some man that. I'm surprised there's not a march organised through the city to get rid of him at this stage for such treachery ?? Or do they prefer the winter weather for this past time ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4StKyR5-RM

Are you actually slow? He didn't want the season over with, of course he wanted us to win against Galway. And go on and win..etc. But on some level, him, like the rest of us, are now glad it's over and done with. It was a long tiring season, before it even started. We responded like we did against Galway last season because Donal Og was sent off, the team was infurriated, he made one of his speeches at half time and the team were really pushed on to with it for Donal Og, after everything he had done for them.
You really have a low oppinion of Denis Walsh. Not even going to give him a chance, it's pathetic.

dowling

Reillers you could nearly be taken seriously if your posts weren't so laughable. Trying to make other posters to be Denis Walsh critics when the only one to post such was yourself prior to the match.
However, like Zulu you are also - unintentionally - acknowledging that Cork weren't up to their usual mark this year regardless of managing style. Just whatthe rest of us have been saying.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on July 25, 2009, 12:55:50 PM
Reillers you could nearly be taken seriously if your posts weren't so laughable. Trying to make other posters to be Denis Walsh critics when the only one to post such was yourself prior to the match.
However, like Zulu you are also - unintentionally - acknowledging that Cork weren't up to their usual mark this year regardless of managing style. Just whatthe rest of us have been saying.

You are taking the piss. All you and you're like have done is run Walsh down because you're trying to proove some sort of bitter little arguement. Cork met a much better team, a team a lot of people think will be a genuine challengers to KK and I along with most neutrals want Galway to go on and win. But you wont admit that we were beaten by a much better team. You're attitude to Walsh is patehtic. You're saying you're not comparing them or whatever, you are.

And you know what, no mediator was needed this year, Walsh knows the players well and the clubs, so we're a step up from last year in that sense. Which is only a good thing.

orangeman

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on July 25, 2009, 12:29:39 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 24, 2009, 10:22:46 PM
Quote from: Reillers on July 24, 2009, 09:42:20 PM
Is it really too much for ye to accept that we were beaten by a much better team, with Gerald we'd much easier draws, Galway are an excellent team, and I hope and I think they'll have a genuine chance of winning the AI. But no, God forbid that was the reason we didn't get to the quarter final, because we were beaten by a better team.
You couldn't get much worse then when we had Gerald. No trust, hell a mediator was needed to be brought in. Denis Walsh brought this team forward a lot, a lot of positives from this year. A much better, positive atmosphere in the camp, a lot of young players now hold down key positions. This team had a goal, had an aim, not old tactics that weren't going to work, Walsh has a plan, his ideas are good but he just didn't have the time to put them in force. He didn't have time to make the team his own. But obviously we could see the team going forward. With Gerald everything seemed to see us taking steps backwards. And we only seemed to be winning despite of the tactics. Infuriating decisions were made on the sideline. While Walsh, usually, made good calls.
He made the brave call of puttin in Aisake, positives and negatives, but it was a brave call and ultimately the right one in the end. He gave most a genuine chance and like I said there was an excellent vibe in the camp.

With Gerard you got to Croke Park and only for Cody picking on Sean Og that day and exposing him, you might have had a chance to turn them over.

With Dennis, you lads didn't get any further than Thurles.

Remind me who you beat last year ?? Surely not Galway with Cork having 14 men ???

When was the last time Cork failed to into the 1/4 finals ??

We only got as far as Thurles because we met a much better team. Why you can't admit that I don't know.

Exactly Reillers and there are other teams better than Cork now and that's what we've been saying from the start of the strike and the disgraceful treatment of Gerald. Nothing to do with managers.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on July 25, 2009, 02:16:37 PM
Quote from: Reillers on July 25, 2009, 12:29:39 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 24, 2009, 10:22:46 PM
Quote from: Reillers on July 24, 2009, 09:42:20 PM
Is it really too much for ye to accept that we were beaten by a much better team, with Gerald we'd much easier draws, Galway are an excellent team, and I hope and I think they'll have a genuine chance of winning the AI. But no, God forbid that was the reason we didn't get to the quarter final, because we were beaten by a better team.
You couldn't get much worse then when we had Gerald. No trust, hell a mediator was needed to be brought in. Denis Walsh brought this team forward a lot, a lot of positives from this year. A much better, positive atmosphere in the camp, a lot of young players now hold down key positions. This team had a goal, had an aim, not old tactics that weren't going to work, Walsh has a plan, his ideas are good but he just didn't have the time to put them in force. He didn't have time to make the team his own. But obviously we could see the team going forward. With Gerald everything seemed to see us taking steps backwards. And we only seemed to be winning despite of the tactics. Infuriating decisions were made on the sideline. While Walsh, usually, made good calls.
He made the brave call of puttin in Aisake, positives and negatives, but it was a brave call and ultimately the right one in the end. He gave most a genuine chance and like I said there was an excellent vibe in the camp.

With Gerard you got to Croke Park and only for Cody picking on Sean Og that day and exposing him, you might have had a chance to turn them over.

With Dennis, you lads didn't get any further than Thurles.

Remind me who you beat last year ?? Surely not Galway with Cork having 14 men ???

When was the last time Cork failed to into the 1/4 finals ??

We only got as far as Thurles because we met a much better team. Why you can't admit that I don't know.

Exactly Reillers and there are other teams better than Cork now and that's what we've been saying from the start of the strike and the disgraceful treatment of Gerald. Nothing to do with managers.

Galway took massive leaps forwards this season. The fact that I've to explain that to you says how much you know about the game or Galway for that matter. Everyone plays, and they are a more united this season.
Did Cork take massive leaps forward this season? No. Is that Walsh's fault, or does that mean Gerald was a better coach then everyone thinks, no. It means that there are only a certain amount of strides that a team can make and Cork made them a long time ago way back when with O Grady and Allen.

The Cork team took a good few steps forward this year, but nothing in comparison to Galway. Is that anyones fault. No it's just Father Time.
There's a lot of mileage on this Cork team, even with the younger players, players like Gardiner who's only about 26 has been around forever.
Walsh did as much as he could in the short space of time that he had, and it's "disgraceful" the way you're treating him, you're giving him absolultely no credit and you're not giving him a chance either. He was trying to fill spots where great players retired and where there was no one prepared to come in, that wasn't Walsh's fault now was it. It wasn't like Gerald had the likes of Cadogan or Murphy or O Sullivan..etc ready to come in, no. Walsh had to do all that work, and ended up throwing the likes of young Cadogan into the deep end and hoping that he could swim.

You're treatment of Walsh is a bit pathetic, just because you're trying to prove some sort of point, that we were wrong to get rid of Gerald. Like it or not, accept it or not. Gerald didn't do a great job, he did as best he could but at the end of the day he wasn't a good manager. You mightn't agree with the "treatement" of Gerald but he was one of the worst managers Cork have had in a long time. I mean things got so bad they needed a mediator.

Where we finished this year had little reflection on that. Gerald brought the team backwards, Walsh is bringing this team forwards.
And why you also can't admit that Walsh is a good manager is a little sad.

But I'm done listening to you try and prove some sort of bitter point. Walsh is a new manager with a clean slate, give him a chance instead of whining about him.

anglocelt39

Eh jesus lads it's 2009, world war two ended 60 years ago, move on for gods sake.

Reillers/Zulu etc. you can try all the revisionism you want. I was in the middle of a conversation between Waterford and Kilkenny work colleagues the day after last year's All Ireland mis match. KK man .........."will hurling ever recover in Waterford", Wd man....."whaddya mean buoy it's only hurling, yi'd wanna be physically disabled not to make a quarter final in any year buoy and it's three wins from there".............not the precise words but that was the sentiment. So...........when was the last time Cork weren't hurling in August...............
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

dowling

Realise you're having a laugh Reillers. Fair play to ye keeping a sense of humour after blindly following the strikers only to find out you've been deceived.

"The Cork team took a good few steps forward this year, but nothing in comparison to Galway. Is that anyones fault. No it's just Father Time.
There's a lot of mileage on this Cork team, even with the younger players, players like Gardiner who's only about 26 has been around forever."

???

sligeach

Reillers,

You really are something else. Your so entrenched in the garbage you've been spewing you can't give a single inch even when its 100% clear your wrong.

Have you any self respect at all ?

Right now I can't listen to a word your saying without assuming its blinded striker following rubbish and I can safely way thats the opinion of the vast majority of people here. Just once take a breath, look at the truth of the situation and stop spewing rubbish. You'd earn back some respect from many of the members here.

The teams performance was no more Geralds fault last year then Walshes fault this year, can't you at least admit that ? How blinded can you possibly be.

deiseach

I certainly feel better about Waterford's prospects against Kilkenny knowing we defeated the titans of Galway