McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

Quote from: Zulu on June 04, 2009, 11:56:35 AM
Quote from: dowling on June 04, 2009, 09:45:10 AM
Zulu I can only guess from your responses that you didn't see any discernable differences in Cork's display. Same as last year mostly, Both teams having periods of dominance with Tipp finishing the stronger.
All you're doing is arguing for the sake of it. Everyone, and I'm sure this includes the strikers, would have been aware that there would be aspects up for discussion related to the strike long after the strike was over. I'd guess if I was to bother going back over your posts you would have said the same somewhere.
Do you really believe that those Cork players going out onto the pitch wouldn't have been aware of the hostily felt in some quarters towards them? As GAA pointed out they probably used it for motivation.
Just because you say the debate is over doesn't make it so. It will be over when this group of players prove they were right or are proved wrong and that will come with their matches. If you say Sunday's match was of no consequences then you tell me how long will it take before we see any discernable difference in this Cork team.

Reillers is getting plenty of flak at the moment for making a comment he hasn't (at least to some) properly supported, I won't do the same to you even though you hadn't the decency admiting to have lied and that you were wrong on most of what you've posted in your last 3 or 4 posts. And yet you still continue to post nonsense and you say I'm arguing for the sake of it, Christ man all your posts are pointless and 'for the sake of it'!!

Of course the players were aware of the hostility towards them, but guess what, there is always hostility from opposing supporters and although they're was also some from their own this time I reckon nobody at Thurles was among them. But again I'll ask you why do you feel the need to post something that we all agree exists, i.e. some people really don't like the Cork hurlers because of the strike?

Once again you are showing your complete cluelessness about sport in your final point, if Cork win the AI it doesn't mean they were right and if the lose it doesn't mean they were wrong. There was right and wrong on both sides and that will always remain the case, you feel they were wrong to strike, I feel they were right.The reason is, I believe a CB should provide the best support possible for their team and reappointing a manager that the players don't want isn't doing that (regardless of his quality). So by Gerald resigning and Denis coming in Cork now have a better chance of winning the AI because the camp will be happier. IMO they won't win it because they aren't good enough to beat Kilkenny, and Tipp, Galway and Waterford will all provide a serious test that they may well fail.

And this leads me on to why I'm sick of you continuing to post on this, the stike has very little to do with how Cork get on this year, of course it is a factor but only one of many,for example players form, injuries, a bit of luck, the quality of their opponents, how well the new players settle in, Denis Walsh getting the right balance, the Cork club championship and probably a hundred others. So when you come on here and try to claim any result is due to a strike that is over with months you show yourself to be clueless and weirdly obsessed with this strike.

Look if you have Donal Og's picture on a dart board in your room and pictures of the other Cork players all over your bedroom wall with the eyes cut out that's fine and hopefully your parents can afford the help you need but why are you inflicting your obsession on the rest of us on this board? I've tried to ignore your posts and I really thought that once the championship started that everyone would move on and discuss the games themselves, I'm I the only one that would like to discuss Cork's games without an old argument that we did to death always sticking it's head in?

Zulu that post sums up you're arguing for the sake of it.
Firstly I haven't lied about you but I did apologise if I misrepresented you.
County teams as well as teams in a whole variety of sports bring in psychologists to get players' minds properly focused  but you dismiss the 'possibility' that hostility towards the strikers, but especially from their within own county, had any relevence to their mindsets going out onto the pitch or could have impacted in any way on anyone's game. You attempt to lecture on coaching and continually use the word clueless and don't even understand the importance of having the right mindset.
As for being proved right or wrong I don't think what Cork may or may not win will prove anything but if they were to win the AI don't think for one minute that the strikers wouldn't use that as vindication of their actions. However I believe last year saw Cork lose a bit of its edge as Tipp's game was upped and Tipp have been ready to surface as a main player again anyway. In relation to the strike that panel made some dinstict points, that Gerald's coaching wasn't up to scratch and that his role as manager was holding these players back. It's obvious then that now that Gerald is gone we should expect to see performances that are discerably different from under Gerald's tenure. That's only common sense if you're to believe what the strikers said about a change of manager. Throwing up all this nonsense about other factors like injuries is only kidding yourself. We all know what may impact on a county but few and far between are the counties that go into championship after a bitter strike. You know it's not inconceivable that Cork could win the AI playing in the same style as under Gerald.
I'll partially concede one point to you however. One championship match is probably not enough to judge the difference between this year's team and last year's. But on that one display I still stand over the comment that there was no discernable difference.
Lastly I read over my inital post and fail to see what was so controversial to get your back up.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on June 05, 2009, 09:31:03 AM
Quote from: Reillers on June 04, 2009, 04:57:10 PM

Heffo posting up a poster of Obama

In Reillersland there is no higher insult can be payed a man than to be compared to a flip-flopping Barrack Obama.

You're a complete joke.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on June 05, 2009, 11:46:14 AM
Quote from: heffo on June 05, 2009, 09:31:03 AM
Quote from: Reillers on June 04, 2009, 04:57:10 PM

Heffo posting up a poster of Obama

In Reillersland there is no higher insult can be payed a man than to be compared to a flip-flopping Barrack Obama.

You're a complete joke.

Jesus Reillers - you're making me feel about six inches tall here - the ignominy of being called a joke by you

Zulu

QuoteZulu that post sums up you're arguing for the sake of it.

I'm arguing for the sake of it, Jesus wept, you've done nothing but post on a topic which ended as a 'live' issue 3 months ago. You're posts are the very definition of arguing for the sake of it.

QuoteFirstly I haven't lied about you but I did apologise if I misrepresented you.

Yes you did lie and I've already shown where and unsurprisingly you failed you acknowledge the fact that you lied.

QuoteFirstly I haven't lied about you but I did apologise if I misrepresented you.
County teams as well as teams in a whole variety of sports bring in psychologists to get players' minds properly focused  but you dismiss the 'possibility' that hostility towards the strikers, but especially from their within own county, had any relevence to their mindsets going out onto the pitch or could have impacted in any way on anyone's game. You attempt to lecture on coaching and continually use the word clueless and don't even understand the importance of having the right mindset.

I know full well the importance of properly preparing psychologically, what I'm pointing out is you continue to try and bring the strike into everything, I mean 'strike anxiety' wtf is that? Remember these lads were on strike twice previously and on both occassions they did just fine afterwards, as did the footballers so the fact that there might be a few Cork supporters against them this time wouldn't phase experienced players. Anyway I'd have given you some credit if you also thought that their poor first half might have been down to a lack of league games, new players settling in, or just the fact that Tipp got out of the blocks a bit quicker. But no you just came up with the same tiresome nonsense about the strike.

QuoteAs for being proved right or wrong I don't think what Cork may or may not win will prove anything but if they were to win the AI don't think for one minute that the strikers wouldn't use that as vindication of their actions.

I'd doubt very much that they would as they know, unlike you, that there are many factors involved in a successful team. But I'm sure you would bring the strike back up and try and twist a bit to suit your own delusions.

QuoteHowever I believe last year saw Cork lose a bit of its edge as Tipp's game was upped and Tipp have been ready to surface as a main player again anyway.

What the hell does that mean, everybody knows some of Corks best players are coming to the end and Tipp are a coming force, what relevance does that have?

QuoteIn relation to the strike that panel made some dinstict points, that Gerald's coaching wasn't up to scratch and that his role as manager was holding these players back. It's obvious then that now that Gerald is gone we should expect to see performances that are discerably different from under Gerald's tenure. That's only common sense if you're to believe what the strikers said about a change of manager. Throwing up all this nonsense about other factors like injuries is only kidding yourself.

When are you going to stop digging that hole for yourself? It is obvious we should some discernable differences is it? Will you please stop talking complete and utter rubbish, I feel like a maths teacher arguing with a 4 year old who is adamant that 9 + 10 = 18, while I try to convince him it doesn't. You will not find one, not one, coach in the world who will tell you you can noticeably influence a teams style of play in a few months, it is impossible and shouldn't even be tried. Christ man even if you have a team for years they will often go out and play very differently to the way you've been trying to play, developing a style of play is very difficult and is particularly so in an amateur setting. Please stop arguing this point as you're making yourself look like a fool.

QuoteYou know it's not inconceivable that Cork could win the AI playing in the same style as under Gerald.

And what style was that anyway?

QuoteI'll partially concede one point to you however. One championship match is probably not enough to judge the difference between this year's team and last year's. But on that one display I still stand over the comment that there was no discernable difference.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

QuoteLastly I read over my inital post and fail to see what was so controversial to get your back up.

You're annoying me because you are flogging a dead horse, when you came on to the board first the strike was on and we were all arguing our points and you did likewise. So no problem there but the strike ended and everybody moved on except you and now that teh championship is on you are still trying to tie everything back to the strike. Of course, as I've already conceded, the strike is a factor but it is only a small one, the Cork championships are up and running and both the Cork footballers and hurlers are doing quite well so far so nobody wants to get into the whole strike thing again. If you go into a pub in Cork nobody is talking about and this is the only GAA discussion board that I'm aware of that is still discussing this issue in any way. It isn't mentioned on rebelgaa or on AFR which is a Munster dominated discussion board.

There aren't that many of us interested in hurling on this board and you are polluting the hurling section with this nauseating repetitive BS about the strike. I wouldn't mind but the players won so if anything it should be us pro-player posters  that are still going on about it but I think most posters would just like to move on at this stage. You have your view, I have mine and like everybody else we expressed those on here for months on end, but you constantly referring to the strike gets my back up in the same way as I'm sure I'd get anti-player posters backs up if I did nothing else but post on the strike. Saying things like 'avoiding relegation was proof positive that the strikers were right' or 'the second half performance against Tipp was fuelled by the character and unity they displayed during the strike'.

Why don't you just leave it alone and discuss other GAA matters, we all know and accept that the strike will be a factor for the Cork hurlers this year so there is no need to constanly say so.

theskull1

Flogging a dead horse in your opinion Zulu. Your entitled to it. But past always has a habit of catching up with the present does it not? So on that basis dowling has every right to analyse cork from this perspective IMO. He could be wrong but why get so uppity about him discussing it? I think you need to calm down
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zulu

He is flogging a dead horse period. And I'm perfectly calm skull1, I think you'd hold a different opinion if Reillers only came on here to gloat about the players 'victory', as it is you seem to be having some heated exchanges with Reillers yourself. Every issue has a natural end and while an individual may continue to hold a grievence about it he will quickly annoy others if he keeps going on about, the fact that you hold a similar view to dowling may mean you aren't as vexed as someone like myself who believes that players were right but surely even you think it is time to move on too.

While dowling has every right to post what he thinks, he also has a responsibility to other posters who use this board, of course I could ignore his posts but when you felt strongly in the right of the players, as i did at the time, why should I have to ignore a poster who just won't let things go. In fact I did ignore a number of posts and I'd say I haven't posted on this topic in over a month but dowling is still going on about it and that has lead to my last few posts. Like I say nobody in either Cork or cyberspace is still going on about the strike even though I'm sure many still have views on it, nobody of course except dowling. I'd love to know why and when we can discuss Cork hurling on this board without dowling intervening with his strike' theory.

QuoteWhy the hell is this thread still rattling on?

dowling

dowling

Where to start with your further rambling Zulu? Well first up don't be thinking all those smiley faces will be lulling me into a false sense of security as psychologically
I'm sound.
So no one else in Cork is talking about the strike anymore. You mean apart from John Gardiner saying the players know there's an element within the county who want the hurlers to fail because of the strike? How did he know that? And how did the players come to that conclusion? They just remembered it from three months ago - your figure - or perhaps they're just able to read people's minds? And I suppose if journalists are writing about the strike still technically they're not talking about it right? And I suppose further the guests and presenter on the day of the match were obliged by their contracts to discuss the strike right? Even though with no one else talking about it we have to wonder why they were talking about it at all. During those months ago that you keep refering to, most posters, both pro and anti, acknowledged the strike would relate to the team actually playing and since the strikers resumed playing there has been more than one occasion when the strike was related to something. The defeat to Kilkenny being so roundly cheered throuhout the country. Of course those people cheering must not have known the strike was over and the issue was dead. Clueless people or what?
I suppose if people were giving abuse to members of the Cork team that could be put down to a few louts just coincidently turning up for this game with a few drinks down them. Irrespective of the wrong of the abuse sure we couldn't tie the strike into that.
About the poor first half performance, it could have been down to any number of things. My theory is that there was anxiety in the team's play because of what John Gardiner and the RTE panel allued to. It's not scientific but it is a legitimate theory. You list possible reasons but what's your theory? Just why did such a previously successful team of such experience play so badly and why was their first half such a contrast to the second?
If we don't see any discernable differences in how this team performs this year what exactly was the point in getting rid of Gerald McCarthy? Please don't continue to give me this nonsense about ask any coach how long it takes to introduce a style of play. We're talking about experienced players who have been together at the top for some time and it shouldn't be a problem to adapt and change. Moulding under 12s to a style of play might be different but catch yourself on. We're talking about people of whom many already coach and will go into management in the not too distant future.
And if Cork were to win the AI the strikers wouldn't hold it up as vindication? You should have put your smiley faces after that bit!
As for the strike? Well yes the strike is over but the consequences will be around for some time to come and if it's acknowledged that an element within Cork want the county hurlers to fail then that should be proof enough. There are still issues and they will be there no matter how often you try to avoid facing up to the full reality of this particular strike.
Once again I refer to my first post and point out it was a take on the match with a reference to the first half performance. Hardly worth a war dance on your behalf.
And if you want to pontificate about rights and responsibilities then maybe along with your right to post here you should be responsible and temper you tone.

Zulu

Well done dowling you've shown, if further evidence was needed, to be a complete one topic obsessed fool.

QuoteSo no one else in Cork is talking about the strike anymore. You mean apart from John Gardiner saying the players know there's an element within the county who want the hurlers to fail because of the strike? How did the players know that? And how did the players come to that conclusion? They just remembered it from three months ago - your figure - or perhaps they're just able to read people's minds?

God give me patience, he commented that he was aware some Cork people wouldn't be supporting Cork this year on the eve of their first championship game, he did so most likily in response to a question from a journalist. And now that their first game is down you'll find journalists asking less and less questions about the strike but obviously it will be afactor this year. But the difference between Gardiner and the Sunday Game panelists is they are referencing the the strike and will rarely do so from now on but you keep blathering on about it on this forum.

QuoteAnd I suppose further the guests and presenter on the day of the match were obliged by their contracts to discuss the strike right? Even though with no one else talking about it we have to wonder why they were talking about it at all.

See above, but sweet Jesus!!!!

QuoteDuring those months ago that you keep refering to, most posters, both pro and anti, acknowledged the strike would relate to the team actually playing and since the strikers resumed playing there has been more than one occasion when the strike was related to something. The defeat to Kilkenny being so roundly cheered throuhout the country. Of course those people cheering must not have known the strike was over and the issue was dead. Clueless people or what?

You are a simpleton, of course some people will be delighted when Cork lose and of course some dislike Cork hurlers due to the GPA and the strike but we all accept that and we have all acknowledge that here on this board so why are you persisting to go on an on and on about here?

QuoteAbout the poor first half performance, it could have been down to any number of things. My theory is that there was anxiety in the team's play because of what John Gardiner and the RTE panel allued to. It's not scientific but it is a legitimate theory. You list possible reasons but what's your theory? Just why did such a previously successful team of such experience play so badly and why was their first half such a contrast to the second?

They went well behind against Clare and Galway last year, so what is your theory for that - 'pre-strike nerves'? Teams fall behind in games and as I pointed out they were only 4 points behind at half time and Sean Og, Donal Og, Cadogan and Ben O'Connor all had very good first halves so your 'theory' doesn't stand up at all. And just goes to show you for the one thought poster that you are, Cork played well over all so instead you try to find some negative in a less than outstanding first half, which you of course blame on the strike. Give us a break.

QuoteI suppose if people were giving abuse to members of the Cork team that could be put down to a few louts just coincidently turning up for this game with a few drinks down them. Irrespective of the wrong of the abuse sure we couldn't tie the strike into that.

Yes the strike played some part in the abuse but the Cork players and indeed players from all counties get abuse from opposition fans all over the country and I can assure the Cork players have been getting abuse for many years. But one again you see it only as another strike issue.

QuoteIf we don't see any discernable differences in how this team performs this year what exactly was the point in getting rid of Gerald McCarthy? Please don't continue to give me this nonsense about ask any coach how long it takes to introduce a style of play. We're talking about experienced players who have been together at the top for some time and it shouldn't be a problem to adapt and change. Moulding under 12s to a style of play might be different but catch yourself on. We're talking about people of whom many already coach and will go into management in the not too distant future.

You are a WUM, so well done to you sir, you caught me, because nobody can be as unintentionally stupid as you. I need to believe that I haven't been wasting my time posting to an utter moron so I'm going to presume you are a WUM.

QuoteOnce again I refer to my first post and point out it was a take on the match with a reference to the first half performance. Hardly worth a war dance on your behalf.

It isn't so much what you've said rather the amount of times you've said it, do you have to repeat it at every opportunity?

dowling

No responsibility with rights there then Zulu? You know you're starting to get on like reillers. But sure fire away.
Wasn't a poor first half performance and Sean og had played well that half? That's the problem you were watching a different match!
Anyway fire away with your intemperate tone and language and forget about being responsible. At least you're cute enough to avoid explaining Cork's first half performance by saying they didn't play badly. Have to remember that tactic.

Reillers

I really, really did not want to comment on you're ramblings Dowling, but it's gotten beyond obsessive at this stage don't you think?

You know what 90% of GAA people in Cork are talking about now? Take a guess?

....The Tipp Cork U21s match.

As someone who's from Cork, who lives in Cork and is involved in the club scene, listen to me when I say this,I promise you, NO ONE is really talking about what happened in the past months anymore.

People who said they'd never go to a Cork game again were first in line for tickets.
People who said way back when that they'd hope they'd loose were cheering them on all game.

We've moved on..so should you.

bingobus

Quote from: Reillers on June 05, 2009, 05:19:47 PM
I really, really did not want to comment on you're ramblings Dowling, but it's gotten beyond obsessive at this stage don't you think?

As someone who's from Cork, who lives in Cork and is involved in the club scene, listen to me when I say this,I promise you, NO ONE is really talking about what happened in the past months anymore.

People who said they'd never go to a Cork game again were first in line for tickets.
People who said way back when that they'd hope they'd loose were cheering them on all game.

Pathetic if true...all that has been achieved then is a manager the players didn't want been removed. No changes at CB, no further push from the clubs and everyone has moved on.

Well done Cork/GPA.

heffo

What about the shoppers who marched for the removal of Ger Mac - what are they talking about?

Reillers

Quote from: bingobus on June 05, 2009, 05:37:25 PM

Pathetic if true...all that has been achieved then is a manager the players didn't want been removed. No changes at CB, no further push from the clubs and everyone has moved on.

Well done Cork/GPA.

The GPA ::) ::) I'm not getting into this again.
What exactly do you want us or the players to do, sit and whine about it for another 3 months? Is it such a crime that we want to talk about hurling and football now?

It's over, was the desired outcome reached, at the end no, is that the players fault, no.
At the end of the day, it came down to the club to make that final push but they didn't. Why? Many reasons, the convenient timing of the resignation, and the fact that any move for things to be changed has been quashed in the delegate meetings because it's ruled out of order or totally voted against.

I mean what else is left to do.

Is it such a crime that we want to get on with things? We shouldn't have to keep going over it again and again because some people are totally obsessed and hell bent on..seeing the players suffer, or something.

I don't want to, and I'm not going to get into this again. But we've had enough dark months, the summer is finally here and we're going to enjoy the hurling, ye can sitt and stew in anger all ye want.

But we want nothing more then to get on with things, and like it or not, we have.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on June 05, 2009, 05:53:18 PM
Quote from: bingobus on June 05, 2009, 05:37:25 PM

Well done Cork/GPA.

But we want nothing more then to get on with things

Who's 'we'? The 'Cork Hurling public'? The GPA led Cork hurling panel of 2008? The disenfranchised?