McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Good man dowling, welcome back. Keep fighting the good fight  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

dowling

Cheers Zulu, I knew you boys couldn't be all bad.  ;)

Just making the point though that the change in Offaly didn't do much good and will Cork hurlers fare any better. To be honest I don't think they'll be too far away but that that was always going to be the case regardless of manager.
But when you take out all the soundbites like going to the grave happy and the animosity toards the county board what has been achieved for Cork hurling and what do they have this year they didn't have last year.

Bud Wiser

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bing Crosby .

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on May 15, 2009, 10:06:16 AM
Quote from: dowling on May 15, 2009, 01:01:17 AM
Quote from: Zulu on May 13, 2009, 04:54:33 PM
Do you think he might have been asked a question about it and answered? There's fellas around here who went on and on and on about the strike long after it had ended or they had anything interesting to say. The words pot, kettle, black spring to mind.

Plenty of people avoid answering questions for the ' greater good'. Canty either lacks diplomatic skills or was re-enforcing a 'point'. If he really wants to answer questions here's one for him. What did the county footballers have to say about the death threats against the last county manager?

Over to you. Or does the question need to be asked by a journalist?

Come on now, grow up boss.

Mam comes from Finnegans Road Dernaroy up the road from Aghdavoyle    R.I. P .  Jim Murphy . . How's Drumintee going this year ?

BTW . That shower with hurly's below in Cork are wounded and very dangerous . I will puek all over the place if they beat Tipp , but  this could well happen . They mullared Limk last week and Wexford again lately in challenge games so "everyone ! watch out ! " these c#nts are more than capable .

dowling

Bit harsh with the language there bing but you're right Cork will definitely be up for the game. There must be a worry that the strike will have had an adverse affect no matter about any 'wounded animal' senario. Tipp wont be expecting anything different but with the shit that has gone on and Tipp's development I would fancy Tipp by five points or more.

A win by Cork wouldn't be a shock and if that happened I'd expect to see the pro strikers back on.

Bing Crosby .

Quote from: dowling on May 27, 2009, 12:15:59 AM
Bit harsh with the language there bing but you're right Cork will definitely be up for the game. There must be a worry that the strike will have had an adverse affect no matter about any 'wounded animal' senario. Tipp wont be expecting anything different but with the shit that has gone on and Tipp's development I would fancy Tipp by five points or more.

A win by Cork wouldn't be a shock and if that happened I'd expect to see the pro strikers back on.

I think we both feel the same on this , I agree Tipp should see out the game but that saying  about Cork is haunting me  " Cork is Cork " . If ever there was a time to pull the cat out of the bag that time is now . I fear for Tipp . I'll be on the Town End Terrace this Sunday  supporting Tipp and I'm I'm  a Limerick man . Go figure that one out , it's not that difficult to figure out really . Never have I so irked and annoyed by a sporting event , occasion or instance than what I have been by the Cork hurlers strike . Shame on the ringleaders . Up Tipp .

dowling

Understand where you're coming from bing and yes regardless of the strike Cork are still one to watch. While I would find it hard to wish the strike leaders well there are 'new' boys there who are responsible for none of what went on and don't deserve to be dragged down with the others.

I'm inclined to think the strike will have an adverse affect on the strikers but the 'new' lads might not be affected. But I still think hurling needs Cork and regardless of Sunday's result they'll be there towards the end.

With a bit of luck Tipp will lift the Liam McCarthy. No offence to Limerick who should have a good win over Waterford though.

Bing Crosby .

Quote from: dowling on May 27, 2009, 12:46:34 AM
Understand where you're coming from bing and yes regardless of the strike Cork are still one to watch. While I would find it hard to wish the strike leaders well there are 'new' boys there who are responsible for none of what went on and don't deserve to be dragged down with the others.

I'm inclined to think the strike will have an adverse affect on the strikers but the 'new' lads might not be affected. But I still think hurling needs Cork and regardless of Sunday's result they'll be there towards the end.

With a bit of luck Tipp will lift the Liam McCarthy. No offence to Limerick who should have a good win over Waterford though.

Not at all Dowling , no offense taken here at all . 

I agree that it is unfair to tar the whole team . I know who the culprits are as do many many others far and wide across the land and they themselves know too .
If Cork can pull this one off  my whole summer will be filled with sadness and woe . Up Tipp .

johnneycool

If you think about it the Cork lads have no pressure on them as if they get beat they have the interrupted training during the strike excuse in the hip pocket and at the same time they'll be fired up to prove everyone who's doubted their on field abilities wrong.

Good god, i think they just might do it but a lot will depend on how the two debutants to championship hurling in O'Sullivan and Aisake O hAilpín settle in and how Cadogan can dominate the airways around the goalmouth.

Tipp should be desperate enough for the win also as a Munster title would be a minimum requirement for this team in their stage of development and a body blow of a Cork defeat might ruin the whole year for them.

I'll go for Tipp by the odd point in three but those Cork hoors could steal it.

thejuice

I see Aiske O'hAilpin is starting. I never saw him play hurling never mind aussie rules but I guess he hasn't lost his touch for the sliotar. I would expect Tipp to come away with the win this weekend. Can really say how the strike will have affected Cork until they're on the field but if Tipp play to the level that they are capable of I can't see Cork matching them. They've lost leaders on the field and they'll take time to replace.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on May 27, 2009, 09:05:47 AM
If you think about it the Cork lads have no pressure on them as if they get beat they have the interrupted training during the strike excuse in the hip pocket and at the same time they'll be fired up to prove everyone who's doubted their on field abilities wrong.

Good god, i think they just might do it but a lot will depend on how the two debutants to championship hurling in O'Sullivan and Aisake O hAilpín settle in and how Cadogan can dominate the airways around the goalmouth.

Tipp should be desperate enough for the win also as a Munster title would be a minimum requirement for this team in their stage of development and a body blow of a Cork defeat might ruin the whole year for them.

I'll go for Tipp by the odd point in three but those Cork hoors could steal it.

I think the opposite - Cork have ALL the pressure on them. It's a must win for Cork and I can see them taking Tipp.

orangeman

Some of our own want us to fail, reveals Cork skipper Gardiner

By Colm Keys

Wednesday May 27 2009

Cork hurling captain John Gardiner has admitted that there are pockets of Rebels who wish to see them beaten in Sunday's Munster hurling quarter-final against Tipperary.

Gardiner admitted last night that the fall-out from the bitter four-month strike action, that eventually forced Gerald McCarthy to resign as manager, has ensured that the entire county won't be 100pc behind the hurlers in Semple Stadium.

"There's definitely an element of that out there, even in Cork. People want us to fail. They're only waiting to come out, if we're beaten on Sunday.

"We know that too. But we're still enjoying it," he admitted.

Gardiner and Cork have been back training since early March, when McCarthy made way after the most acrimonious dispute in GAA history.

"We enjoy hurling for Cork, that's what it's all about. This is a championship week, you're playing Tipperary in Thurles, you definitely enjoy it.

"There's always pressure when you play for Cork. Even though people don't say it, they expect you to perform. People are saying the preparation hasn't gone well and that's the truth."
Aisake O hAilpin has been included in the Cork team as Walsh named his first championship team last night.

O hAilpin, who only returned from the AFL in December, has turned in a number of impressive performances in recent challenges to merit a place at full-forward.

He is one of three debutants along with full-back Eoin Cadogan and corner-back Conor O'Sullivan.

Otherwise Cork field an experienced team as they come to terms with the loss of Diarmuid O'Sullivan, Brian Murphy and Joe Deane to retirement.

- Colm Keys

dowling

Surprised at Gariner's addmission but at least he's not in denial of the consequences of the strike. And I think you're right about pressure Orangeman and Gardiner seems to have alluded to that also. There must be pressure knowing a portion of your own county wants you to fail as well as others throughout the country and that pressure must increase because of the need to vindicate the strike. The big question is will it tell during the game?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: orangeman on May 27, 2009, 11:42:19 AM
Some of our own want us to fail, reveals Cork skipper Gardiner

By Colm Keys

Wednesday May 27 2009

Cork hurling captain John Gardiner has admitted that there are pockets of Rebels who wish to see them beaten in Sunday's Munster hurling quarter-final against Tipperary.

Gardiner admitted last night that the fall-out from the bitter four-month strike action, that eventually forced Gerald McCarthy to resign as manager, has ensured that the entire county won't be 100pc behind the hurlers in Semple Stadium.

"There's definitely an element of that out there, even in Cork. People want us to fail. They're only waiting to come out, if we're beaten on Sunday.

"We know that too. But we're still enjoying it," he admitted.

Gardiner and Cork have been back training since early March, when McCarthy made way after the most acrimonious dispute in GAA history.

"We enjoy hurling for Cork, that's what it's all about. This is a championship week, you're playing Tipperary in Thurles, you definitely enjoy it.

"There's always pressure when you play for Cork. Even though people don't say it, they expect you to perform. People are saying the preparation hasn't gone well and that's the truth."
Aisake O hAilpin has been included in the Cork team as Walsh named his first championship team last night.

O hAilpin, who only returned from the AFL in December, has turned in a number of impressive performances in recent challenges to merit a place at full-forward.

He is one of three debutants along with full-back Eoin Cadogan and corner-back Conor O'Sullivan.

Otherwise Cork field an experienced team as they come to terms with the loss of Diarmuid O'Sullivan, Brian Murphy and Joe Deane to retirement.

- Colm Keys

an element out there want Cork hurlers to fail!  :D... understatement of the year award to John Gardiner....

slow corner back

The " all the world hates us we dont care " attitude has helped a lot of sports teams over the years Cork will be drawing on this. Unfortunatly for them Tipp are a good side who have not shown too many failing so far. Tipp to edge a tight one.