McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

Quote from: orangeman on May 06, 2009, 09:20:05 AM
TJ described it well. The 2008 players simply wanted Gerald's head as the trophy - as soon as they got that, it was normal service resumed. No matter whose side you were on, the 2008/2009 strike will go down as the most distasteful episode in the illustrious history of Cork GAA. It turned out to be the most divisive, the most bitter and most shameful of all.

The 2008 Cork panel might have won the battle to get rid of Gerald but they most certianly lost the war. Bringing the mob out one Sunday in their thousands when only a few hundred were able to go to Cusack Park the following Sunday. Getting idiots so wound up that they felt it appropriate to threaten Gerald and his family in their home and workplaces ( and there will be news soon by the way about this ) was one of the lowest moments of the entire episode, surpassed only by the shameful instructions of the leaders to boycott a funeral. Need I go on ?  Scabs etc etc .................

And whilst all the beating of chests about FM, all the press conferences, the pressure applied by Colm Keys ( the striker's PR man ), nothing has changed except that Gerald is no longer manager.

I predicted a long number of pages ago that people in time would ask themselves what it was all about. I know even after such a short time that this very question is being asked right now.

Indy is right - we should leave it behind. But I'd say there'll be a few more posts later on as even fithier striking tactics emerge. A lot of questions which could have been answered by a clarifying statement on behalf of the 2008 remain unanswered like where did all the sponsorship money go etc etc.

So whilst the thread has run its course, there's more to come out in the next few months and years.

Shame on the 2008 panel and in particular their leaders who once had the respect of all but who got drunk on the commercial power of it all. The 2008 panel said they'd go to the grave happy in the knowledge that they stood firm in the face of adversity. How perverse !.

The 2008 panel said they took the action to save Cork hurling. Again how funny this statement has been made to look.

The 2008 panel's leaders were only in it for themselves and we'll find that not all of them were driving forces. Some of the panel actually wanted nothing to do with the strike and in particular the unsavoury methods and tactics used by the ringleaders. Again this will emerge in time.

Will there be another strike ? Ask Donal or Sean.

Was it worth it ?? Of course not.

Great post Orangeman. Sums it up for me.

The GAA

The words that noone ever thought they'd read....

Farrandeelin

Quote from: dowling on May 07, 2009, 03:13:04 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 06, 2009, 09:20:05 AM
TJ described it well. The 2008 players simply wanted Gerald's head as the trophy - as soon as they got that, it was normal service resumed. No matter whose side you were on, the 2008/2009 strike will go down as the most distasteful episode in the illustrious history of Cork GAA. It turned out to be the most divisive, the most bitter and most shameful of all.

The 2008 Cork panel might have won the battle to get rid of Gerald but they most certianly lost the war. Bringing the mob out one Sunday in their thousands when only a few hundred were able to go to Cusack Park the following Sunday. Getting idiots so wound up that they felt it appropriate to threaten Gerald and his family in their home and workplaces ( and there will be news soon by the way about this ) was one of the lowest moments of the entire episode, surpassed only by the shameful instructions of the leaders to boycott a funeral. Need I go on ?  Scabs etc etc .................

And whilst all the beating of chests about FM, all the press conferences, the pressure applied by Colm Keys ( the striker's PR man ), nothing has changed except that Gerald is no longer manager.

I predicted a long number of pages ago that people in time would ask themselves what it was all about. I know even after such a short time that this very question is being asked right now.

Indy is right - we should leave it behind. But I'd say there'll be a few more posts later on as even fithier striking tactics emerge. A lot of questions which could have been answered by a clarifying statement on behalf of the 2008 remain unanswered like where did all the sponsorship money go etc etc.

So whilst the thread has run its course, there's more to come out in the next few months and years.

Shame on the 2008 panel and in particular their leaders who once had the respect of all but who got drunk on the commercial power of it all. The 2008 panel said they'd go to the grave happy in the knowledge that they stood firm in the face of adversity. How perverse !.

The 2008 panel said they took the action to save Cork hurling. Again how funny this statement has been made to look.

The 2008 panel's leaders were only in it for themselves and we'll find that not all of them were driving forces. Some of the panel actually wanted nothing to do with the strike and in particular the unsavoury methods and tactics used by the ringleaders. Again this will emerge in time.

Will there be another strike ? Ask Donal or Sean.

Was it worth it ?? Of course not.

Great post Orangeman. Sums it up for me.

Me too.

I see Reillers doesn't agree with it though. ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

anglocelt39

Looking forward to the movie version of this thread, featuring a dishevelled Reillers emerging from the Jungle a la Japanese World War two soldier in 1985, vowing vengance to be told by the men in white coats that it all ended 40 years ago.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

ExiledGael

Jesus he's not the only one refusing to let go here, it's no longer a discussion.
This thread is as embarrassing as the strike in the first place.

awfulynice

Quote from: anglocelt39 on May 07, 2009, 07:45:57 PM
Looking forward to the movie version of this thread, featuring a dishevelled Reillers emerging from the Jungle a la Japanese World War two soldier in 1985, vowing vengance to be told by the men in white coats that it all ended 40 years ago.

Post of the year...i just snorted tea out of my nose laughing at this!!!

dowling

Posting about people posting. Addictive isn't it lads?
But Reillers still has to come back. It's not over till it's over, until the fat lady sings or until Reillers throws up one of his old posts. Only kidding Reillers.

DuffleKing

More embarrassing than the stike. As annoying as reading him is, at least the reiller chap has been consistent

theskull1

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 08, 2009, 11:33:54 AM

More embarrassing than the stike. As annoying as reading him is, at least the reiller chap has been consistent

:-\  And the rest of us haven't been? ........ Annoying that is  :)

Have trouble seeing "consistency" on it's own as a virtue all the same. Fcuk lets all praise Willie Fraser if thats the case. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

anglocelt39

Have trouble seeing "consistency" on it's own as a virtue all the same. Fcuk lets all praise Willie Fraser if thats the case.

In praise of consistency indeed-Willie Fraser, A Hitler, Pol Pot, Pinochet, Thatcher. Annoying feckers one and all but their consistency could not be called into question.

passedit

Quote from: anglocelt39 on May 08, 2009, 12:24:18 PM

In praise of consistency indeed-Willie Fraser, A Hitler, Pol Pot, Pinochet, Frank Murphy, Thatcher. Annoying feckers one and all but their consistency could not be called into question.

Fixed that for ye.

Typical CCB acolytes, everyone else moves on, ye're still gnawing at the 2002 bone.
Don't Panic

anglocelt39

Quote from: passedit on May 08, 2009, 02:20:00 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on May 08, 2009, 12:24:18 PM

In praise of consistency indeed-Willie Fraser, A Hitler, Pol Pot, Pinochet, Frank Murphy, Thatcher. Annoying feckers one and all but their consistency could not be called into question.

Fixed that for ye.

Typical CCB acolytes, everyone else moves on, ye're still gnawing at the 2002 bone.

On a break from the legal studies I see

anglocelt39

Now Passedit I have to say I find some of your postings quite entertaining in an Undergraduate UCD L and H or Law Society debating sense. Am I mistaken or was it yourself who was quoting chapter and verse about the laws of libel, defamation etc. etc. some time ago? You might want to examine your last post in that light because I ain't too sure that one Frank Murphy would be all that impressed at your mentioning him in the same breath as the leaders as some of the most despicable murder regimes in modern history. Realise you were making a quite clever point but sauce for the goose and all that...............

dowling

That embarassing you had to come on the thread to get a piece of the action yourselves. But you should only really feel embarassment over your own actions.

And while Reillers has been consistent in his support for the strikers if you had looked a little more closely you'll find plenty of inconsistencies in his posts, reflective of the strikers, who went on strike because of the process, no because of the county board, no because of Frank, no for the sake of Cork hurling and future generations, no so they could all die in peace, no to save the whale, no to save the planet, no, no, no, no, no, to get rid of Gerald McCarthy.

passedit

Quote from: anglocelt39 on May 08, 2009, 03:13:02 PM
Now Passedit I have to say I find some of your postings quite entertaining in an Undergraduate UCD L and H or Law Society debating sense. Am I mistaken or was it yourself who was quoting chapter and verse about the laws of libel, defamation etc. etc. some time ago? You might want to examine your last post in that light because I ain't too sure that one Frank Murphy would be all that impressed at your mentioning him in the same breath as the leaders as some of the most despicable murder regimes in modern history. Realise you were making a quite clever point but sauce for the goose and all that...............

I got my legal department to check it out, apparently I'm on fairly safe ground as

QuoteAnnoying feckers one and all but their consistency could not be called into question.

is an statement opinion rather than a statement of fact.  ;)

In fairness he always reminds me of J Edgar Hoover.

I'm sure his presence on the bench was the difference for Cork U21's on monday.
Don't Panic