McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

If the situation in Cork on the ground is as bad as some say it is, then I'm sure that clubs will at this stage be setting about to rectify all the wrongs, starting with motions for the AGM and putting forward new candidates for people who they reckon are not doing a good enough job at the moment.

The AGM will soon be held - get ready for a lot of changes.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Zulu on May 04, 2009, 06:14:50 PM
Reillers you'd be better off not posting on this thread anymore, all you're doing is fuelling the the fire and like the others you're not posting anything new or anything we didn't know already. I'd doubt too many posters even check this thread much anymore and if they do it is only to quickly glance through to see if anything new has been posted, which hasn't happened in a long time now. You're no longer serving any purpose except to allow those who want to post their faux-outrage about the Cork hurlers the canvas to do so. They have their minds made up and nothing you say will change them in any way, and while they are entitled to their opinion, their repeated attempts to keep this argument going is tiresome as are your repeated attempts to defend the Cork players. If you display a maturity the others are seemingly incapable of and refuse to take the bait they'll soon tire of talking to themselves and who knows a chat about championship hurling might break out.

My dear goodness me what a terribly mature, considered, even handed, nay high minded post. Thank you mother superior
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

anglocelt39

Reillers boy fair play to ye for keeping it going round in ever deceasing circles. Between the rugby before and afters at the weekend did yoiu get e'er a chance to cast an eye over the Tipp/Kilkenny match (the hurling match that is). Very encouraging precursor to the championship season in that there may be a case for saying that KK aren't quite as invincible as we may have thought (not saying they are not hot favourites to win it mind but they are no more invincible than Munster at the egg and spoon game). In any event, can we now take it that nothing less than the Liam McCarthy is what it will take this year down Cork way to make all the crack of the past several years worth it. I'm assuming you would take the Cork team in championship shape to have taken either KK or tipp yesterday.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Reillers

anglocelt39..ffs like. No better then the rest. You are simply trying to stirr, it's childish, tiring and I'm not in the mood.

Zulu

Quote from: anglocelt39 on May 04, 2009, 07:10:41 PM
Quote from: Zulu on May 04, 2009, 06:14:50 PM
Reillers you'd be better off not posting on this thread anymore, all you're doing is fuelling the the fire and like the others you're not posting anything new or anything we didn't know already. I'd doubt too many posters even check this thread much anymore and if they do it is only to quickly glance through to see if anything new has been posted, which hasn't happened in a long time now. You're no longer serving any purpose except to allow those who want to post their faux-outrage about the Cork hurlers the canvas to do so. They have their minds made up and nothing you say will change them in any way, and while they are entitled to their opinion, their repeated attempts to keep this argument going is tiresome as are your repeated attempts to defend the Cork players. If you display a maturity the others are seemingly incapable of and refuse to take the bait they'll soon tire of talking to themselves and who knows a chat about championship hurling might break out.

My dear goodness me what a terribly mature, considered, even handed, nay high minded post. Thank you mother superior

Yes cause I'm the one pontificating over and over and over again ::) ::)

dowling

Zulu I'm aware you stated the league results weren't relative to the strike but surely everything about Cork hurling is relative to the strike for the next while at least. For a start there are those who were on strike but now are not part of the panel. Should those who knew they weren't going to be playing have been involved in the strike and why were they? Have they been somewhat dishonest and is that an accurate reflection of the strikers as a whole if they were? The strikers claimed they were training and people on here stated their trainers were of the highest quality yet the performances to date are not reflective of quality training. What's the story there?
It's not a question of keeping this going just to be contrary or suchlike. The strikers stated there were obstacles to them achieving, the championship will tell the tale of course but in the meantime there is plenty of other aspects that are relative to the whole mess they created. Some things will be magnified of course but would you rather we all ignore everything.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on May 04, 2009, 10:57:31 PM
Zulu I'm aware you stated the league results weren't relative to the strike but surely everything about Cork hurling is relative to the strike for the next while at least. For a start there are those who were on strike but now are not part of the panel. Should those who knew they weren't going to be playing have been involved in the strike and why were they? Have they been somewhat dishonest and is that an accurate reflection of the strikers as a whole if they were? The strikers claimed they were training and people on here stated their trainers were of the highest quality yet the performances to date are not reflective of quality training. What's the story there?
It's not a question of keeping this going just to be contrary or suchlike. The strikers stated there were obstacles to them achieving, the championship will tell the tale of course but in the meantime there is plenty of other aspects that are relative to the whole mess they created. Some things will be magnified of course but would you rather we all ignore everything.

Of course everything is relevant in your view, you are like I said, obsessed at finding something to whine about, some drama when it comes to the hurlers. You know nothing, the public knows nothing and you think it's right to basically make up stories on your view. You've no proof to back any of you claims. They were training and trained well but nothing in comparison to other counties, not on the same level, they'd no manager pointing them in the direction they hope to go, no goals, no style or teams, no nothing, just full of uncertainty, and very little time.
Just fitness and basic hurling is what they did, at no time did I say they were quality preformance, I said they were going well in training with an excellent trainer but nothing compared to actual teams that were training.
They'd no manager. That has a massive impact.  How hard is it for you to understand that?
I mean why do you care so much, you really are truely obsessed. You're obsessing about training, about a comment made about them training, I mean get over it.

Yet you wont even listen to what I say, you're too busy looking for a little drama to obseses about. You're not listening to me, you're hearing what you want to hear, so what's the point.

You want to keep this going, no question because you truley are obsessed. Everything, no matter how tiny, is blown way out of proportion by you.

And are you going to respond to my earlier post?

Bud Wiser

QuoteFM wrote the rule book,

Apart from the obvious education you need in manners Reillers let me educate you a little about two things, 1 the rule book and 2 the meaning of arrogance.
Frstly, (and if you can understand this I will probably get two birds with the one stone) it is arrogant for you, FM, or anyone from Cork, striker, sponsor, shopper, confederate flag bearers, or anyone of that mould you come from,  to try and tell me that FM wrote the rule book of our association.  That is as stupid a belief, based on all things come from Cork in your mind, as anyone could ever imagine. The rules of gaa are updated, even currently, on a regular basis and to hammer my point home to you, I could not give a frig about FM either, or anthing to do with Cork but to try and suggest that Cork wrote the rule book for the association as opposed to there being a 32 county input into its regular changes is - well, if you are looking for an example of arrogance, you will never get a better one.

The only thing you dont need an education in however is bullshit because if you look back over the last 400+  pages  you will see you have spewed enough of it to fund one months sponsorship for the 2008 panel, and that is a fair amount.  At least Zulu had the cop on to know that subscribers to this board can't be bullied out of it the way Gerald was bullied out of his position. Ye can't blame the rule book for how a goalkeeper takes a short puck out into an opposing players hand and who from just forty yars out scores a winning score.  
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Zulu

QuoteZulu I'm aware you stated the league results weren't relative to the strike but surely everything about Cork hurling is relative to the strike for the next while at least.

Sorry now dowling but that is just nonsense, the rights and wrongs of the strike were debated and now we will see how things pan out, nobody suggested that if the players got their way that all would be rosy in the garden, so I don't see what relevance early results have.

QuoteFor a start there are those who were on strike but now are not part of the panel. Should those who knew they weren't going to be playing have been involved in the strike and why were they? Have they been somewhat dishonest and is that an accurate reflection of the strikers as a whole if they were?

I don't know what you're talking about here but i presume it is Brian Murphy, irrespective of what Brian's motives were for staying with the panel while on strike or leaving now that they are back playing, they can't be extrapolated to the whole panel.

QuoteThe strikers claimed they were training and people on here stated their trainers were of the highest quality yet the performances to date are not reflective of quality training. What's the story there?

These trainers are proven performers and were involved in AI winning teams so they are top quality trainers irrespective of Corks recent results but even if you are to judge them on the 4 league games they won two and lost two, which isn't bad. And when you consider they lost to the two AI finalists it isn't bad at all, especially when they were the only 4 games the Cork players had played since getting knocked out of last years championship.

You and a few others are looking for evidence of a fall out in Cork hurling at every turn yet you fail to acknowledge that players from both the 08 and 09 squad are training and playing together at this very moment. If the 08 squad are such bad guys why are the 09 panel players, who Gerald gave a chance to, still playing with these lads who treated him so bad?

Reillers

Quote from: Bud Wiser on May 04, 2009, 11:15:25 PM
QuoteFM wrote the rule book,

Apart from the obvious education you need in manners Reillers let me educate you a little about two things, 1 the rule book and 2 the meaning of arrogance.
Frstly, (and if you can understand this I will probably get two birds with the one stone) it is arrogant for you, FM, or anyone from Cork, striker, sponsor, shopper, confederate flag bearers, or anyone of that mould you come from,  to try and tell me that FM wrote the rule book of our association.  That is as stupid a belief, based on all things come from Cork in your mind, as anyone could ever imagine. The rules of gaa are updated, even currently, on a regular basis and to hammer my point home to you, I could not give a frig about FM either, or anthing to do with Cork but to try and suggest that Cork wrote the rule book for the association as opposed to there being a 32 county input into its regular changes is - well, if you are looking for an example of arrogance, you will never get a better one.

The only thing you dont need an education in however is bullshit because if you look back over the last 400+  pages  you will see you have spewed enough of it to fund one months sponsorship for the 2008 panel, and that is a fair amount.  At least Zulu had the cop on to know that subscribers to this board can't be bullied out of it the way Gerald was bullied out of his position. Ye can't blame the rule book for how a goalkeeper takes a short puck out into an opposing players hand and who from just forty yars out scores a winning score.  

Are you actually going to respond to my post or continue with dancing around my questions and petty insults? Everyone in GAA knows (well clearly not you) that if anyone has a problem or a question about rules that Frank Murphy is the one to ask. That's kind of cute though, I say you don't know what arrogance means and you say that I don't know what being arrogant means, kinda sweet, annoying but clearly you're not 100% sure what you're doing.
Like I mean do you take everything so literal or is it just what I say. All Gaa men know what kind of person Frank Murphy is and what extremes he'll go to to keep his power and his stance on the rules. He knows that rule book inside out and everyone, but you apparently, knows that if anyone has a problem with the rule book it's Frank they go to. I wasn't actually being literal, are you trying to wind me up or are do you just not understand?

And how is that arrogance..are you sure you know what the word means?

Like I said I don't take much, any, notice of what you say, you've made it clear that you hate absolutely everything about Cork and your inability to respond to my post says a lot.
I ask for any sort of proof or any attempt from you to back you claims about sponsorships and such and you don't reply, I've asked you many things and you've been unable to answer the questions.
You don't know who the managers of Cork hurling or football teams are, you don't care about Frank Murphy, or apparently what he does. Says a whole lot about you.
It's clear you know nothing or care very little about Cork GAA and all your posts are basically based on his hate. Which really makes it almost irrelavant doesn't it, it's not really an opinion is it, it's just pure hate.
More ramblings and whining. Another poser who knows nothing of Cork GAA but is a so called expert on what happened. Typical part time fans.

Reillers

Quote from: Zulu on May 04, 2009, 11:28:06 PM
QuoteZulu I'm aware you stated the league results weren't relative to the strike but surely everything about Cork hurling is relative to the strike for the next while at least.

Sorry now dowling but that is just nonsense, the rights and wrongs of the strike were debated and now we will see how things pan out, nobody suggested that if the players got their way that all would be rosy in the garden, so I don't see what relevance early results have.

QuoteFor a start there are those who were on strike but now are not part of the panel. Should those who knew they weren't going to be playing have been involved in the strike and why were they? Have they been somewhat dishonest and is that an accurate reflection of the strikers as a whole if they were?

I don't know what you're talking about here but i presume it is Brian Murphy, irrespective of what Brian's motives were for staying with the panel while on strike or leaving now that they are back playing, they can't be extrapolated to the whole panel.

QuoteThe strikers claimed they were training and people on here stated their trainers were of the highest quality yet the performances to date are not reflective of quality training. What's the story there?

These trainers are proven performers and were involved in AI winning teams so they are top quality trainers irrespective of Corks recent results but even if you are to judge them on the 4 league games they won two and lost two, which isn't bad. And when you consider they lost to the two AI finalists it isn't bad at all, especially when they were the only 4 games the Cork players had played since getting knocked out of last years championship.

You and a few others are looking for evidence of a fall out in Cork hurling at every turn yet you fail to acknowledge that players from both the 08 and 09 squad are training and playing together at this very moment. If the 08 squad are such bad guys why are the 09 panel players, who Gerald gave a chance to, still playing with these lads who treated him so bad?

Oh sure, they probably, like the clubs with their standing ovations and full backing, had a gun held to their heads, forcing them to play, forcing them to have a laugh at training and all get on really well.
In Dowling's obsessive view, and others, they are truely the pawns of the devil and they'll do just about anything to make these guys look bad and will look for any, like you said, evidence of fall out, and exagerate circumstancial things like Brian Murphy packing it in, to drag out the situation. Even though there are no evidence to back them up. They'll obsesive over tiny things like their training. They wont take any evidence into account, they wont listen to reason. All they are obsessed with doing is making these guys look like such bad horrible men, it's not fair and it's not right.
They give out about the so called bullying of Gerald, but apparently the treatment the players are getting, and the treatment and attitude they have towards the players, with no evidence or backing, well that's ok, that's grand. That treatment is ok because it's them behind a key board. The treatment the players are getting is acceptable because they're dirt in their eyes. They've no respect for them at all. Apparently they deserve no respect.
The're complete hypocrites. If they had their way God knows what they'd do with the players.

There's an alternative reason for everything, for the clubs backing, everyone who's worked with the players backing them, the likes of Donal O Grady, Allen..etc. Sure there's an excuse for that as well. Sure all the support they got on the street were just shoppers, the clubs full backing was, well they were forced to do that, a gun to their head, standing ovation included I suppose for added affect. Brian Murphy retires, despite the fact that it's well known he'd to be convinced to come back last year because the migranes were so bad, they've gotten worse apparently, but sure no that doesn't matter, he can't have retired for that, there mots be some controversy there as well. Any journos that back the players have no integrity and are just interested in writting the players books and hell Donal Og must have the whole 09 players hypnotised or something, there surely is an explanation.
Because God forbid the players have genuine reason and geniune support and backing from actual real Gaa men, like the thousands of people in the clubs, great GAA men, ex managers, Gerald's players even.

Always an excuse.

awfulynice

Im not going to state my opinion either way as i dont know the full facts of what went on between the cork hurlers and gerald mccarthy, and besides anything i would have to say has been said a few hundred times over id say!

But having seen this now 466 page thread i get the feeling that if an issue cant be resolved in under 400 pages...it will never be resolved!

I think the best thing would be for everyone to leave this issue aside until at least after the first round of the championship...whether cork win / lose will give a better indication as to how they are going currently and whether or not the strike is going to have a detrimental effect on their performance for the rest of the summer. They have a lot of people to prove wrong and i suspect quite a few cork supporters to get back onside this should give them plenty of motivation and im sure they will rip into the championship in 4 weeks time. I would assume that there was a bit of a divide in cork on the issue as there was in the rest of the country?

Bud Wiser

That's awfully nice, and for the most part your post is correct in that if the argument on here can't be resolved in over 400 pages then it will never be resolved.

However, if you look at the rubbish that Reillers has repeated over and over and over and over and over and over again about standing ovations and the shoppers you could probably cut that 400 pages back to about 25.

Awuly nice, yes you are right that there were two sides to this story and there is a divide even in Cork over it, but for someone to come on here after six months of degradation of our association by a group of hurlers who went on strike, the word strike not even being in the rule book that reillers is bullshiting about, was a disgrace. Then HE, REILLERS, has the arroigance to come on, when he decides, to declare to all on this board that the topic has ended, it is all over and everything is fine again !!!. I have been on this board for over 15 years and have been involved in GAA all my life and I can confidently predict that in the last 45 years I have given more to the gaa than Reillers who I would guess has given the equivelant of what would run down his leg after an accident in the loo.  Therefore I will not have it rammed down my throat that I know nothing about the GAA from a johnny come lately to this board.

Now, as to when this matter is over?  It is over when there is a clear directive on sponsorship.  Two years ago we had Tax Inspectors intercepting the stewards going off Croke Park to see if they were paying tax on their days takings.  That was reported in the papers and on this board.  Until there is clear instruction as to what way sponsorship is allocated, be it cars or large sums of money, and in particular, where there is indecision over these payments that may lead to a strike, then this matter is far from over.

Yes, the discussion on this board is over, it has run its course, but it is not over on Reillers terms.  As far as the Cork hurlers goes, it was over for most of them before the strike and a few of them are now playing for appearance money I guess, unless of course Reillers he who knows it all and we who know nothing can positively declare that the gear the 2008 panel were wearing for his standing ovation was given to them by the CCB - while they refused to play for the CCB - which I doubt very much.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

orangeman

All Gaa men know what kind of person Frank Murphy

That's right - a long serving, dedicated, able and loyal one who has never gone on strike.

theskull1

Good post Bud.

awfulynice as much as I understand your sentiment....I disagree fundamentally that this is over so to speak. Just because we get tired of arguing doesn't mean that there are not things that need to be discussed. I agree this thread isn't acheiving a great deal OTHER THAN giving many of us who still feel very angry to make our voices heard towards a group of individuals who know the price of everything and the value of nothing, yet apparently seem to be able to dupe the dumb masses into believing that it's ALL for the love of Cork hurling.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera