McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

That's what I meant skull, that was my opinion of things, didn't mean to suggest it was fact.

Reillers

Quote from: anglocelt39 on April 19, 2009, 07:53:27 PM
Did you ever think that we want to move on is so we can move on.

Welcome back from the game Reillers and I'm glad you could clarify things a bit. It looks like Zulu is a bit unsure as to whether we should move things on since he has, quite rightly, pointed out that we should judge teams on their performance at the end of September. So given that one of the reasons, sorry the main reason, that Ger was given the heave ho was that the team wasn't hurling to its potential, apparently, we have from now until the early September, at the latest, to consider the wisdom of the 08 panel in this central judgement. So this thing has a long way to run.

So look Reillers, to keep it simple and suspending all opinions about morality, common decency, the greater good/bigger picture in the GAA, what therefore do you reckon would constitute a successful season for the Cork hurlers. Bearing in mind of course that they were the only county in the championship that came close to matching Kilkenny when they were hampered by what they saw as an inferior management team. By the way, I'd see Kilkenny as being on no more than on a par with where they were last year, given the tanking they dished out to the Deise last September.

And yes, I was quite satisfied at a mis-firing Waterford team saw ye off today, but will make no bones about being a small bit disappointed that a flaking did not ensue.

Any comments on the game Reillers, was Des Bishop in attendance?
Gerald quit, he did terribly in the two seasons, he didn't have the backing of the dressing room. It happens sometimes, nothing wrong with that, nothing to be ashamed of. Another time, another place maybe it would have turned out better, but it didn't. And for what it's worth, if Gerald had been appointed in the proper way then the players would have played with him again, some might have even left, which is ironic because they would have probably been several of the "trouble makers." We should judge teams, but not now, not in the League. I mean give the team and the manager a chance. It's the league, it means nothing form wise. I means nothing at all.

What would be a succesfull season, winning Munster. The team is rebuilding, and they've wasted a lot of time so we can't expect that much. Get a good foundation of a decent team down and look forward to the next season.

Now you waste your time and get stress lines and wrinkles from worrying about big bad Cork, hoping they loose, I mean really, you've nothing better to do? Of course you wont make comment on how they were a very experimental team, that faught to the nail to get back in the game and were unlucky not to go on and win it. I mean be that petty and bitter if you want, it's entirely up to yourself.

But I would rather talk about something say, the positives from todays match like oh I don't know..
That the young players did well, or that finally, FINALLY, Sully Og seems to be getting back some of his swagger pre that horrific leg injury. Or how Shane O Neill is probably one of the best defenders in the country, who had a fine game today as well. Or how Naughton is incredibly dangerous with ball in hand.

Maybe that would put less stress on the heart and mind instead of constant whining about Cork. A lot healthier too.

theskull1

Cheers Zulu for clarifying. So for those who hold the same opinion as yourself, its easy as others have said to want to see this topic die off. Those who hold opposing views as I'm sure you'll understand don't want to let the 08 brigade away with what they have done (in their opinion). I know you don't like it, but I don't understand your "frustration" at this topic continuing on, when we are dealing with differing opinions. A lot of us don't think this topic is "over"  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

anglocelt39

What would be a succesfull season, winning Munster

Fair play Reillers for giving a definitive answer to a specific question. Now you've already seen off Limerick and Clare (the latter are now Division 2 material). Tipp are an emerging team at best. Waterford, as you would admit yourself, are a spent docket, Kerry would not be exactly my idea of a threat.

Now they say that the definition of a Cork man with an inferiority complex is somebody who thinks he's only as good as everybody else so come on now, put your neck on the line. The only County in the country to give the Cats a run for their money last year when saddled with an inadequate management team and your ambitions are limited to Munster. Come on now, what can you really do with an improved management setup, the return of a hungry bunch of 08 strikers keen to prove a point and the oodles of emerging talent you're just referred to in your last post.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Reillers

Quote from: anglocelt39 on April 19, 2009, 10:29:26 PM

Fair play Reillers for giving a definitive answer to a specific question. Now you've already seen off Limerick and Clare (the latter are now Division 2 material). Tipp are an emerging team at best. Waterford, as you would admit yourself, are a spent docket, Kerry would not be exactly my idea of a threat.

Now they say that the definition of a Cork man with an inferiority complex is somebody who thinks he's only as good as everybody else so come on now, put your neck on the line. The only County in the country to give the Cats a run for their money last year when saddled with an inadequate management team and your ambitions are limited to Munster. Come on now, what can you really do with an improved management setup, the return of a hungry bunch of 08 strikers keen to prove a point and the oodles of emerging talent you're just referred to in your last post.

Well seeing as we won nothing under McCarthy, I wouldn't mind, at the least, winning Munster.
Now you seem obbsessed slightly on this topic but I will try to reason with you.
I see what you are trying to do, you're trying to write off Munster to make Cork look inferior. But again showing how you truely fail to grasp or understand hurling, especially Munster..seeing as you mentioned Kerry in your sentence says a hell of a lot.  :D :D
In Munster teams always play better, always up their game, and I love Munster, Munster final day, or any match really, is better then most, sun soacked Thurles, the smell of cut grass, the atmosphere, it's something else.
Tipp are a lot better then an "emerging team at best," Waterford are I think past it in a lot of ways but are certainly capable of producing in Munster, it tends to bring the best out of them, and Limerick, especially under the legend that is Justin McCarthy, will be a force and will be dangerious.
Clare made strides last season, in case you forget. Ya they were just relegated, but this is the league, you can't take anything from the League.
Look the fact that I had to break down and explain Munster to you makes me think I'm wasting my time trying to convince you of anything about hurling really.

theskull1

So youre not prepared to put your head on the block and answer what is a straight forward question. Of course it's a leading one, but come on Reillers, are you not confident that massive improvements in results be the outcome of getting rid of ger? He was holding youse back was he not?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on April 19, 2009, 10:51:13 PM

Well seeing as we won nothing under McCarthy, I wouldn't mind, at the least, winning Munster.
Now you seem obbsessed slightly on this topic but I will try to reason with you.
I see what you are trying to do, you're trying to write off Munster to make Cork look inferior. But again showing how you truely fail to grasp or understand hurling, especially Munster..seeing as you mentioned Kerry in your sentence says a hell of a lot.  :D :D
In Munster teams always play better, always up their game, and I love Munster, Munster final day, or any match really, is better then most, sun soacked Thurles, the smell of cut grass, the atmosphere, it's something else.
Tipp are a lot better then an "emerging team at best," Waterford are I think past it in a lot of ways but are certainly capable of producing in Munster, it tends to bring the best out of them, and Limerick, especially under the legend that is Justin McCarthy, will be a force and will be dangerious.
Clare made strides last season, in case you forget. Ya they were just relegated, but this is the league, you can't take anything from the League.
Look the fact that I had to break down and explain Munster to you makes me think I'm wasting my time trying to convince you of anything about hurling really.

We'll see on June 7th Reillers what one can take from the league. But I can guarantee everyone here if Tipp beat Cork Reilllers being the communications legend he is will still find a way to blame Gerald.

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on April 19, 2009, 11:26:50 PM
So youre not prepared to put your head on the block and answer what is a straight forward question. Of course it's a leading one, but come on Reillers, are you not confident that massive improvements in results be the outcome of getting rid of ger? He was holding youse back was he not?

Ya very much so. But last season and the one before that for that matter, we had Deane, we had Brian Murphy..etc. Now we've got a lot of young lads who are there or there abouts and pushing for a go. We've also missed out on a lot of training.
So I don't know where we'll land, it could be a great season or it could be absolute shite, rebuilding a team that is months behind everyone else. It could be hit or miss.
I'd like to win Munster and depending on whether we meet Kilkenny or not, I'd like to say we'd get to an AI final, but I don't know.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 19, 2009, 11:28:42 PM

We'll see on June 7th Reillers what one can take from the league. But I can guarantee everyone here if Tipp beat Cork Reilllers being the communications legend he is will still find a way to blame Gerald.
Indy has someone taken over your account or were you hit in the head or something. You're acting like a complete irrational idiot. I mean I've disagreed with you in the past but good lord you've never acted like so much of a child like you have in the last few posts. Making me think that maybe you play minor instead of well whatever it is you say you do.

Zulu

Quote from: theskull1 on April 19, 2009, 09:39:17 PM
Cheers Zulu for clarifying. So for those who hold the same opinion as yourself, its easy as others have said to want to see this topic die off. Those who hold opposing views as I'm sure you'll understand don't want to let the 08 brigade away with what they have done (in their opinion). I know you don't like it, but I don't understand your "frustration" at this topic continuing on, when we are dealing with differing opinions. A lot of us don't think this topic is "over"  :-\

I don't understand why you think people like myself would want this topic over, it is over, some around here just don't want to let go. I get the impression that you think I want it gone because I feel 'we' (pro-player posters) got away with something and now 'we' just want it forgotten before someone cottons on to us. I find that strange, I also think it is strange that anyone could feel there is more to this, if so I'd love to here it as I haven't read an original post on this topic in quite some time. Even at the height of the debate on this site we were all Largely re-posting our thoughts and little new was said, however now it is over, the players got Gerald out, Frank stayed in and the Cork panel is made up of both squads but dominated by the 08 lads. They've played the league and stayed up and soon they'll play in the championship, I reckon they'll get to teh semi finals but time will tell. What more is there to say, as far as i can see the rest of the GAA world is getting on with things and contary to some lads the sky hasn't fallen in. Maybe you could tell me why you feel this thread hasn't run its course because I think most people think that happened about 150 oages ago.  

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on April 19, 2009, 11:31:21 PM

Indy has someone taken over your account or were you hit in the head or something. You're acting like a complete irrational idiot. I mean I've disagreed with you in the past but good lord you've never acted like so much of a child like you have in the last few posts. Making me think that maybe you play minor instead of well whatever it is you say you do.

Reillers no-one could look more of a child than you man. Its not possible. This isn't your discussion board so if you don'tlike my opinions -don't read them you muppet.

dowling

Thought Donal og didn't have a great game, again. I would have to think Denis Walsh will be trying out another keeper in challange matches with a view to replacing him although he might be swayed by 'experience' come championship.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 19, 2009, 11:35:57 PM
Quote from: Reillers on April 19, 2009, 11:31:21 PM

Reillers no-one could look more of a child than you man. Its not possible. This isn't your discussion board so if you don'tlike my opinions -don't read them you muppet.
Opinions is one thing, posting lies about me, based on nothing at all, is another and highly insulting.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on April 19, 2009, 11:36:49 PM
Thought Donal og didn't have a great game, again. I would have to think Denis Walsh will be trying out another keeper in challange matches with a view to replacing him although he might be swayed by 'experience' come championship.
Pretty annoyed that Coleman didn't start today. Donal Og's pucks outs again were crap. His shot stopping is good but his puck outs cost us. Donal Og will play because of his experience. I think Walsh has pretty much got his backs sorted and he doesn't plan on changing them, that includes the keeper but at the end of the day it's up to Walsh and it's far too early to be questioning his choices.

INDIANA

Lies? Pot and kettle -pot and kettle Reillers. Do you not have school in the morning?