McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 17, 2009, 06:16:06 PM
Course you don't you've just spent more time on this thread than anyone else and been on other websites as well. If you can't see the hypocrisy in that I rest my case my friend.  ;D

Aren't you the one who's been on other websites. You just said you are on Kilkenny cats. I mean the only other one I'm on his Rebelgaa, now think what you like, that's it.
If random accounts start appearing elsewhere on other sites under this name, which if ya haven't noticed is very common, I'll no who to look at first.   ;)

EddieMerx

Ya Indy you really have no life! and because you have no life you end up forcing me to respond to your inane postings and I in turn now have no life, I have no doubt forced somebody to respond to my post meaning they will have no life and somebody will probably respond to them............... God this place is turning into a bloody discussion forum

INDIANA

That was so funny Reillers I forgot to laugh. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Anyway i'm sure you'll be in thomond anyway tomorrow rather than the park on sunday.

Reillers

Again making presumptions with no proof, as per usual. I'm going to the Waterford game, I've been at every game this season since the lads came back. But go on keep making childish comments, I'm very much used to it by now.

Bing Crosby .

Quote from: Reillers on April 17, 2009, 02:29:24 AM
Quote from: dowling on April 17, 2009, 01:01:47 AM
Others can say another goalie should be tried and you've no problem with that but I say it and I 'haven't seen Donal og and know nothing about hurling.' After what he and others did I have little respect for the strikers but I am not incapable of acknowledging their abilities. Respect wise I would put John Gardiner alonside D og but as a player for Cork I don't think he'd be easily replaced. So I can make a distinction without a bother.
I do firmly believe the strike has impacted on the 2008 panel in a negative way. It's hard to say how and I know it's early days yet but something seems to be wrong with their game.
I would say most, if not all posters have admired Cork hurling over the years but it's difficult to want them to win anything because there's that feeling that if they were to they would think everything they put GMcC and others through and what their actions and deeds lead to would be justified on their part. I believe that in time to come a number of the 2008 panel will have deep regrets about what they've been involved in and that they didn't speak out.
As for not complimenting players, or past players on their ability, achievements and what they have offered to Cork over the years you haven't been too nice towards Teddy McCarthy.

No, others who genuinely think that other players should be played in other positions, I've no problem with that, but when you go saying he's been awful lately when you've seen him play twice this season is your personalised and biased opinion, like when Heffo tried to be all high and mighty, trying to make the other keepers look like saints but Donal Og like the spawn of the devil for having a go at the ref, something which is incredibly common in keepers, like I said his personal biased opinion led him to say that. Now if Realrebel, someone I know actually has an opinion about Cork hurling makes a comment about it, that I'll take, that I'm 99.9% sure isn't personal bias and is what he actually thinks about the player, regardless of who he is or what he's done. He doesn't try to look for things wrong with the time that isn't there. For the love of God like they've been training for a few weeks, that's why they aren't playing like they should be this time of year. And if I remember correctly they seemed to click very well and play their heart out against Clare when we'd a player sent off. They play for eachother, they'll fight for eachother. There is harmony in that squad. They are united but you try to make out like there's something there when there's no evidence that suggests that, just speculation from trouble makers up and down the county who know nothing of Cork hurling.

What most people's opinion who don't understand what happened, like yours like many on here, and say you know plenty about it, from the press, from on here..etc. But you don't, and ya you are sick of me saying it, but you don't understand you don't get how it works. It was neccesary. You don't get the feeling in the clubs. And I don't think you will, it's not your fault, but you'll never get it.

There isn't a moment that anyone on the panel doesn't wish that it didn't happen. You don't think that they regret wasting months, 3 times now? But it was needed and when it comes to it, the only ones who will stand up to this dictatorship are the players, whether it's their place or not. They are the only ones who'll stand up and fight.
Things aren't resolved, but not because of lack of trying through the players, the clubs had a chance to go for the heart and they didn't, they went for the balls and the CCB are still left standing..just wounded instead of dead.
And now, we're stuck back here, and next season or 3 seasons from now, maybe with an entirely different group of players we'll be stuck back in here again. Not because it's enjoyable, not because the players like it, Deane has said, and I've said it several times, each time ignored, that the last strike was more stressful then waiting for his test results. It's not somethng that they enjoy or look for to gain power. I mean they don't get the entire support of the clubs in Cork for selfish reasons. It was neccesary.

You know there's a genuine hate of the Cork players, while the CCB have gone back in hiding and watch in enjoyment at this hate. Ye only look at one side, ye want to bash the players, ye go on this speach of how oh ye loved Cork hurling..but. I mean if ye did, if ye paid attention, you'd know that it's not as black and white as ye desire and would love it to be.

Players were treated appaulingly, as were the clubs and yet no one on here gives a damn about that. Gerald wasn't the only victim in all of this.
It's poor Gerald this, poor Gerald that, the players were a disgrace..etc. Now I'm not disputing that Gerald was treated badly at a point, but how and by who?

Now, Gerald didn't deserve what he got in the end, and I'm truely sorry for what happened. But you are directing so much hate an anger at the players. But somewhere surely in your mind others have to take some sort of responsibilty.

Gerald got caught up in all of this because he was a pawn, but Gerald had no problem standing in that ring for the fight. The CCB might have set him up for the fall, but Gerald hopped in that ring all guns blazing with no questions asked.

He was treated badly,but nothing to the extent that the players are getting now. He got treated badly and for that I am truely sorry, but truthfully, by who?

Everyone was hurt and everyone was treated badly, everyone has suffered but the CCB, doesn't that mean something to you, ya the players have had some of the grief that they've got comming.
But they are not at fault for everything that has happened. They did what they thought was right. And the clubs backed them fully. The players felt that they needed to fight the CCB, now whether you agree that that was the best way to go about it, or whether it was their place or not, it's what they felt was neccesary, something no one else was willing to do. Not the clubs, or the pawns sitting at the board meetings.
Surely you see that.

I've no doubt you wont take in this post, I know full well you'll just say something about rambling and you'll dismiss this completely.

That's a fair post Relliers , but it was the hurlers that went out on strike . It was the hurlers that started all this .

anglocelt39

Quote from: hatchetfield on April 18, 2009, 10:23:15 PM
Boys, this debate has had its time and should be ended!!  All fair points on both sides but lets draw a line under it and start a new debate.  Who would give me the best odds on Kilkenny to do another three in a row - i.e. 6 in a row at the end??

welcome on board buoy,  better idea still, sure let's see how tomorrow's game pans out and then we'll decide the fate of this thread, either way it has plenty more to run.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Zulu

No it doesn't, not unless you think posting 'the Cork players are bad guys' 1000 different ways is relevant and/or interesting. But off you go and if Cork get beaten tomorrow I'm sure those posters who need to kill a bit of time can check this thread to gorge themselves on your smug indignation.

I'm sure you'll all sleep easy knowing your repetitive ranting is saving the GAA from these self serving GPA men, well done lads, well done.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on April 19, 2009, 12:13:56 AM
No it doesn't, not unless you think posting 'the Cork players are bad guys' 1000 different ways is relevant and/or interesting. But off you go and if Cork get beaten tomorrow I'm sure those posters who need to kill a bit of time can check this thread to gorge themselves on your smug indignation.

I'm sure you'll all sleep easy knowing your repetitive ranting is saving the GAA from these self serving GPA men, well done lads, well done.

?

anglocelt39

Quote from: Zulu on April 19, 2009, 12:13:56 AM

One of the key aspects of the discussion over the past several months was the debate over whether the Cork hurlers were held back in their achievements by Ger Mc's stewardship over the past few years. And indeed, now that Ger is gone, Frank remains in place and the 08 exiles are playing again, can we conclude that this indeed was the central object of the strike i.e. to get rid of Ger Mc rather than to secure the long term future of Cork hurling? Now that Ger is gone surely the performance of the Cork hurlers subsequent to his departure is worthy of comment and part of this debate.

For whatever reason, certain parties who were terribly willing to contribute to the debate over the past several months are now anxious to move on. There are lessons for the GAA, nationwide and in Cork to be learned for this debacle so, on that basis, the thing has a few pages to run yet.:

Zulu

QuoteOne of the key aspects of the discussion over the past several months was the debate over whether the Cork hurlers were held back in their achievements by Ger Mc's stewardship over the past few years. And indeed, now that Ger is gone, Frank remains in place and the 08 exiles are playing again, can we conclude that this indeed was the central object of the strike i.e. to get rid of Ger Mc rather than to secure the long term future of Cork hurling? Now that Ger is gone surely the performance of the Cork hurlers subsequent to his departure is worthy of comment and part of this debate.

Of course not, did you comment on the fact the won their first two matches after Gerald left, did I? No, because their league results mean little and any rational observer wouldn't read anything into them, should Tyrone get rid of Mickey Harte because their league wasn't great?

QuoteFor whatever reason, certain parties who were terribly willing to contribute to the debate over the past several months are now anxious to move on. There are lessons for the GAA, nationwide and in Cork to be learned for this debacle so, on that basis, the thing has a few pages to run yet.:

Are you having a laugh, I could continue to debate the Cork dtrike with you and others but what would be the point, both you and I have said what we think and why we think it and nobody has changed much, so why continue?

There are lessons for all concerned and the GAA in general, I'm sure the lessons I feel should be learned are diferent from yours (and a few others) but you aren't taking about what might be learned, instead you and a few others are just posting the same thing oer and over again, especially if the Cork lads are beaten.

anglocelt39

Feckit now Zula it hardly takes Pythagoras to work out why the supporters of the strikers are so anxious to move on. I mean either:

a. They went back to work defeated in their stated objective of achieving long reaching reform within the Cork GAA; or

b. More seriously, they were telling quite serious porkies as to what their objectives in fact were in this whole sorry saga.

Come to think of it, it's fairly clear why you would be anxious to move on in the circumstances.

While I'm on the topic can I say fair play to Nickey Brennan who clearly must have made it known to Cork players and administrators that the sort of jip that happened in the 2008 dispute would not be tolerated this time out-i.e. get a team on the pitch lads or hello Division two next year.

In fairness, I think the rest of the country have made their mind up on Cork. The natives are welcome to judge them on their relative success this year, however you define it. Zulu, I agree that end of September will be the time to pass judgement on that. Given the structures of the Hurling championship you have to assume they at least make the last 8, by whatever door. How far do they have to go after that to be judged successful/make the disruption of the last whatever "worth it" within the county boundaries?

Reillers

anglocelt39, you don't get it at all in the slightest do you.
Did you ever think that we want to move on is so we can move on. I mean it's quiet sad that ye want to continue to talk about something that is over for now. I mean after months of no hurling and having to listen to so called "experts" like yourself or OM, or Skull, Dowling..etc all giving their opinion on the game, an opinion that was always one sided.
I mean after months of this crap you want us to apologise for wanting to talk about hurling?

I mean we've gone over and over what's happened, they wouldn't play because the way in which McCarthy was reappointed. It's been said 100 times over. And you still don't understand.
The players did all they could, they brought it as far, litterally, as they good, it was up to the clubs to finish it and they didn't. The players said at the very very start that they'd play again when McCarthy wasn't manager. They had no idea how the clubs would turn on the CCB. If they didn't they would have refused to play then they would have been going against their word and they would have gotten more grief for that from your like.

Now you don't get it, but if you had months and months of this crap wouldn't you want to go on and actually talk about the game? Now if you want to rehash it over and over and over and over again then that's fine, but we've got a championship to look forward to.

anglocelt39

Did you ever think that we want to move on is so we can move on.

Welcome back from the game Reillers and I'm glad you could clarify things a bit. It looks like Zulu is a bit unsure as to whether we should move things on since he has, quite rightly, pointed out that we should judge teams on their performance at the end of September. So given that one of the reasons, sorry the main reason, that Ger was given the heave ho was that the team wasn't hurling to its potential, apparently, we have from now until the early September, at the latest, to consider the wisdom of the 08 panel in this central judgement. So this thing has a long way to run.

So look Reillers, to keep it simple and suspending all opinions about morality, common decency, the greater good/bigger picture in the GAA, what therefore do you reckon would constitute a successful season for the Cork hurlers. Bearing in mind of course that they were the only county in the championship that came close to matching Kilkenny when they were hampered by what they saw as an inferior management team. By the way, I'd see Kilkenny as being on no more than on a par with where they were last year, given the tanking they dished out to the Deise last September.

And yes, I was quite satisfied at a mis-firing Waterford team saw ye off today, but will make no bones about being a small bit disappointed that a flaking did not ensue.

Any comments on the game Reillers, was Des Bishop in attendance?

Zulu

QuoteFeckit now Zula it hardly takes Pythagoras to work out why the supporters of the strikers are so anxious to move on. I mean either:

a. They went back to work defeated in their stated objective of achieving long reaching reform within the Cork GAA; or

b. More seriously, they were telling quite serious porkies as to what their objectives in fact were in this whole sorry saga.

Come to think of it, it's fairly clear why you would be anxious to move on in the circumstances.

Ahh jesus will you stop it, your conspirasy theroies are beginning to run wild, I supported the players because the CCB's motivation in reappointing Gerald was to get at the players rather than what was best for Cork, end of. There was nothing more or less to it as far as I was, and am concerned. The players have left it up to the clubs to decide Franks fate and it looks like they are going to keep him, a mistake IMO, but since I'm not from Cork I couldn't care less.

IMO the players faced down the CB again and hopefully the CCB will now go about their business in a better fashion but, again, since I'm not from Cork I'm not too concerned. IMO the players were dead right to do what they did but I won't be shouting for them this year but I'd like to think I'll have the maturity and sense not to come on here and gloat if they beat Kilkenny or win a trophy.

We debated this issue and neither side accepted the others opinion, however all the anti-player posters are doing by repeatedly posting old news is making yerselves look like a bit sad.

theskull1

Maybe the CCB and Ger McC were trying to do what was best for Cork Zulu? Lets not make facts of opinions.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera