McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: Onlooker on April 16, 2009, 03:38:35 PM
Brian Murphy is a very fine player, a top class corner back and a real loss to Cork.  Because of his age people were surprised that he decided to retire.  It is also a fact that he has never been a critic of Gerald McCarthy and people are adding 2 and 2 together and perhaps we are getting 5, but no one can be surprised at the speculation.  Only the player himself knows what might have led to his decision.  He has played with migraine in the past, which must have been very difficult, but if things were different in the Cork camp maybe he would have tried to carry on.  Who knows.   Joe Deane was a great corner forward, the best Cork have had for while, but he has a lot of miles on the clock so a retirement by him would not cause the same comment.  Again, I have never heard him criticise Gerald McCarthy's coaching.  Anyway, the best of luck to 2 fine hurlers.

Ya to genuine lads, real gents. Murphy is struggling to even play at club level at the minute. If what happened didn't happen then there wouldn't have been as much stress and if they weren't getting the type of criticism that they are getting from clowns who think they know it all, while the CCB return hiding under their rock where they came from, enjoying every second of the abuse that they get from "fans." Stress agrivates migranes. If what happened, hadn't happened amybe he'd still be around. But Murphy and especially Deane, were very involved in the last few months, their decision, their choice.

See this. That post, that was what I was hoping for. That I thought they deserved something like that.
This is what I thought some of ye might bring yereselves to say. But no, instead just more whining and moaning about what's happened, and looking for some sort of conspiracy, something else to whinge about, something else to use as a weapon to attack the players with.
I guess it was a bit much to ask for. And like I said, it really has shown me what type of GAA men ye are. 

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 03:45:46 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 16, 2009, 03:40:45 PM
Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 03:25:22 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 16, 2009, 09:08:03 AM
Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 12:34:09 AM

But you can't make that many changes, Donal Og will be our keeper this season

Donal Og is fond of iterfering with the referee's authority and often remonstrates with them when he doesn't agree with their decisions - what happens when he gets sent off and you have two sub goalies who haven't a minutes competitive football in god knows how long?

As is every other keeper, find me a keeper that doesn't have a go at the ref.
You know full well that everyone does. Even the best of them. I mean get off the high horse, it's what ALL the keepers do.

Stop trying to drag all the other keepers down to Donal Og's level - just because he does it consistently doesn't mean it's right.
Personal bias attacks again. Donal Og is not half as bad as some of the other keepers, I mean really, take a look around. A certain Davy Fitz when he was playing had his own run in with a few refs.
Take of the bloody tinted glasses and get off your high horse.
You're either being incredibly biased or you've seen very little hurling games in your life.

Why do you have to attack me? Can we not just stick to the issues?

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on April 16, 2009, 04:17:56 PM
Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 03:45:46 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 16, 2009, 03:40:45 PM
Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 03:25:22 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 16, 2009, 09:08:03 AM
Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 12:34:09 AM

But you can't make that many changes, Donal Og will be our keeper this season

Donal Og is fond of iterfering with the referee's authority and often remonstrates with them when he doesn't agree with their decisions - what happens when he gets sent off and you have two sub goalies who haven't a minutes competitive football in god knows how long?

As is every other keeper, find me a keeper that doesn't have a go at the ref.
You know full well that everyone does. Even the best of them. I mean get off the high horse, it's what ALL the keepers do.

Stop trying to drag all the other keepers down to Donal Og's level - just because he does it consistently doesn't mean it's right.
Personal bias attacks again. Donal Og is not half as bad as some of the other keepers, I mean really, take a look around. A certain Davy Fitz when he was playing had his own run in with a few refs.
Take of the bloody tinted glasses and get off your high horse.
You're either being incredibly biased or you've seen very little hurling games in your life.

Why do you have to attack me? Can we not just stick to the issues?
Keep on topic..which is what? Attacking Donal Og.
Oh so it's ok for you to attack Donal Og but it's not ok for me to ask you to get off your high horse, (and apparently that's me attacking you) when you know full well that every keeper is as bad, if not worse when it comes to referees.
And like I said, you obviously haven't watched more hurling at the top level or you're being incredibly biased, because everyone knows that ALL keepers are in the refs ear all the time. It's what they do.

imtommygunn

The Kilkenny keeper definitely is not like that - McGarry wasn't either. Is Brendan Cummins like that - I wouldn't think so?

Davy Fitz is definitely very much like that but he's not your average goalie is he?

dowling

Reillers you're continually trying to twist and deflect what is being written here. Everything that happens in Cork now is going to be examined again and again and that's the long and short of it. This isn't a 'let's hear it for the boys who were on strike' thread.
Your the one who comes on telling the rest of us we know nothing and insulting us. We all know Donal og's hurling capabilities but you agree he's not as sharp as he used to be and now is perhaps time for a change. Plenty of other counties would love to have him for his skill but mightn't want him because of his 'baggage'. I don't care if he plays or not and while I'm one of many who now find him distasteful I don't know how you can question his position also but get stuck into me.
But your biggest insult is to call us GAA fans. I would guess most posters on here are either playing, have played at different levels, coached, managed or done other work in their clubs and counties, and work which has helped put some of their members onto county panels. But you adopt the GPA mentality that we're all fans. The GPA want us all to believe that county players, their members, are the be all and end of the GAA and continually place their financial arguments on the 'fans' paying to see these players; they're the money makers for the GAA and should be recompensed accordingly. They want to create a gap between their members and the rest of the Association so they can have more influence and the rest of us less. In a sense it's doing the rest of us down and your terminology is doing likewise.

heffo

Quote from: dowling on April 16, 2009, 04:52:20 PM
But your biggest insult is to call us GAA fans. I would guess most posters on here are either playing, have played at different levels, coached, managed or done other work in their clubs and counties, and work which has helped put some of their members onto county panels. But you adopt the GPA mentality that we're all fans. The GPA want us all to believe that county players, their members, are the be all and end of the GAA and continually place their financial arguments on the 'fans' paying to see these players; they're the money makers for the GAA and should be recompensed accordingly. They want to create a gap between their members and the rest of the Association so they can have more influence and the rest of us less. In a sense it's doing the rest of us down and your terminology is doing likewise.

Exactly - it's the WWE but with Dessie and the lads as the Macho Man & Hulk Hogan - all of the rest of us 'rump of malcontents' will simply be customers..

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on April 16, 2009, 04:52:20 PM
Reillers you're continually trying to twist and deflect what is being written here. Everything that happens in Cork now is going to be examined again and again and that's the long and short of it. This isn't a 'let's hear it for the boys who were on strike' thread.
Your the one who comes on telling the rest of us we know nothing and insulting us. We all know Donal og's hurling capabilities but you agree he's not as sharp as he used to be and now is perhaps time for a change. Plenty of other counties would love to have him for his skill but mightn't want him because of his 'baggage'. I don't care if he plays or not and while I'm one of many who now find him distasteful I don't know how you can question his position also but get stuck into me.
Twist and deflect? You are the one who has ignored my questions 3 times now.
What have I "twisted and deflected" excatly?
I have said countless times that I would like to see Coleman in goals. But you are basing your attack on Donal Og's form on what exactly? Because you've seen very little of him so far this season, I mean if you judge a players form on one or two games well Tipp are screwed then aren't they, and you know one or two Kilkenny players didn't look that sharp against Waterford, they should be all chucked aside. He's not as sharp as he should be, either are half the team, why, because they've not been training as long as they should have been now in a normal year.
I adopt the GPA mentality of course I do ::), ffs like, I've said GAA men not fan for the majority of what I've said, and for the record, by most of your talk, with the exception of one or two, Indy, Heffo and a few lads who pop in and out, you have never suggested you were involved in a club, you don't even say what county you're from, OM I presume doesn't play by what he says..it's the only thing that would make sense really.
Am I not wrong here, but if you play for a club in I don't know, Tyrone, you're a club man, but when you go watch Tyrone play, are you not a Tyrone fan? Are you not a fan paying to see the players play? But is that not the correct phrase, that the lads who go see Tyrone play, who buy and wear Tyrone jerseys and flags such, is it not correct to call them Tyrone fans?

Like I have little time for the GPA, you seem to think that because I defend the Cork team that I'm their no.1 supporter, but I've very little time for the GPA and I despise Dessie. And I meant no offense with using the word "fan."
I have little time for the GPA, but they do get some things right, working with weaker counties and fighting for players rights which till very recently you know as well as I do that they were treated like crap and in a lot of counties they still are. The GAA had the idea that they had the right to treat players like crap, like merchandise, and the GPA to an extent stopped that. They made it better for players.
That part I agree with, not so much the rest. They have a purpose but my God do they have a way of rubbing people up the wrong way.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 03:28:32 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 16, 2009, 09:16:59 AM
from hoganstand.com

New Cork hurling boss Denis Walsh has reacted to his side's humiliating defeat to Kilkenny by making six changes for Sunday's final NHL outing against Waterford.

The team is notable for the inclusion of four members of the 'development' squad used by Gerald McCarthy during the players' strike earlier this year. They are full back Killian Cronin, corner back Chris Murphy, wing forward Graham Callanan and corner forward Barry Johnson, who makes his first start since McCarthy's resignation.

Jerry O'Connor and Erin's Own's Kieran Murphy, who started in attack against the Cats, form a new midfield partnership, while Pa Cronin and Fintan O'Leary come into the attack in place of Ben O'Connor and Neil Ronan.

Cork (SH v Waterford): D Og Cusack; S O Neill, K Cronin, C Murphy, T Kenny, R Curran, K McGann; K Murphy (Erin's Own), J O Connor; G Callanan, P Horgan, P Cronin; B Johnson, F O Leary, C Naughton.

Whilst its good to see that four of the lads who played during the strike still getting a run this sunday what about the others? Has the merged panel been reduced to 30 or so?

He's given the lads a good chance to prove themselves, and I'm delighted to see the 4 lads given a go, but in reality, the best have been kept back, the rest aren't good enough and they'll probably never be. They were played after probably close to the top 100 players in the county refused to do so. They played which is fair enough, but I doubt, unless they improve a lot, that any of them will wear the Cork jersey any time soon.

It was suggested at the time of the strike that fringe players were "discouraged" from joining the 2009 panel as the shop stewards reckoned ( and Reillers has agreed with this assessment ) that the strike would have been over much quicker had the 2009 pnael played in the national league. Given the very unsavoury tactics used during the strike, it would appear that they were in fact "discouraged" from playing which led to members of the 2009 panel being branded "scabs". A certain pro strike poster's view was that they should have expected the name calling given that they knew that they shouldn't have played.

GAA fans ??? What a laugh !!  :D

PS The only reason that Cork have 3 goalies in training is because Donal Og says that he wants 2 substitutes - it was one of his demands whenever he was running the show and now that's just the way it is. Nobody wants to questions his "authority" !.

Reillers

OM this is why I know you aren't a GAA man, you talk absolute shite.

When in the name of God have I agree with this assesment.

Know one was discouraged from doing anything. The only discouragement I know of and the only unsavoury tactics used by the CCB, that the young players have actually said.
Now do you recall any of the 08 players or 09 players saying that they were discourged do you?
I do remember the 08 young players saying that the CCB had tried to put pressure on them, using unsavoury tactics, recieving threatening phone calls, that they'd never play again if they didn't come back.etc. I've heard the young players say this.

Again making presumptions from no facts and complete bullshit.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 07:36:54 PM
Know one was discouraged from doing anything.

What about Ger Mac?

I'd say he was 'discouraged' in a whole variety of ways wouldn't you?

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on April 16, 2009, 07:55:02 PM

What about Ger Mac?

And he's got what to do with what we're talking about. Nothing, just another excuse for you to moan. FFS.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 07:58:56 PM

What about Ger Mac?

And he's got what to do with what we're talking about. Nothing, just another excuse for you to moan. FFS.

Keep a cool head now son.

He's the main subject of the thread - two Cork legends in Ger & Teddy mac both claimed in the national media that there a huge degree of intimidation going on - you claimed NO ONE or 'know one' was discouraged.

I clarified the matter that Ger Mac was actively discouraged.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on April 16, 2009, 08:02:51 PM

What about Ger Mac?

He's the main subject of the thread - two Cork legends in Ger & Teddy mac both claimed in the national media that there a huge degree of intimidation going on - you claimed NO ONE or 'know one' was discouraged.

With all due respect, why should we believe them.

The players asked him not to take the job again..which if he had the best interests of Cork in mind he wouldn't have taken it.

Teddy McCarthy also lied basically about player cells. Everything that Teddy Mac has said has been proved to resemble bullshit. He despises the players with a passion. And again besides Teddy Mac and Gerald, well they would say that wouldn't they. But none was backed or proven and was denied by the players. Was it not?

realrebel

i have to back reillers up on what he says about brian murphy on why he retired
it is true brian was one of the players who wanted to play under gerald but this wasnt the reason he retired
i wish brian brian and joe the best of luck in the future they served cork very well and should be proud of themselves

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 08:14:21 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 16, 2009, 08:02:51 PM

What about Ger Mac?

Everything that Teddy Mac has said has been proved to resemble bullshit

Well you can't be anymore definitive than that