McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

What are on about reillers? If you could just stop ranting for a minute. Unless information comes from elsewhe I'll go along with what you say about Murphy. Joe Deane, great hurler. What else do you want said? I know you think someone else deserves a go in nets, is this not the time? Is there no possibility Walsh is a wary man?

On the Cork situ in general.

Whether the speculation about Brian Murphy is right or wrong or even insensitive it's another consequence of the strike, there will be extreme suspicion and distrust. Everything that happens or could happen will be examined and conclusions made, right ones and wrong ones. In spite of Zulu's assertion that all is well all is definitely not well.

You have to learn to live with the consequences of what you supported.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on April 16, 2009, 12:55:44 AM
What are on about reillers? If you could just stop ranting for a minute. Unless information comes from elsewhe I'll go along with what you say about Murphy. Joe Deane, great hurler. What else do you want said? I know you think someone else deserves a go in nets, is this not the time? Is there no possibility Walsh is a wary man?

Whether the speculation about Brian Murphy is right or wrong or even insensitive it's another consequence of the strike, there will be extreme suspicion and distrust. Everything that happens or could happen will be examined and conclusions made, right ones and wrong ones. In spite of Zulu's assertion that all is well all is definitely not well.

Don't, "what are you on about" me. It's a pathetic way at trying to avoid a question.

Why do you constantly look for some underlining problem that isn't there?
Why do you always look for something to whinge about.
Wouldn't you rather discuss something you like?
Why is it not possible for your like to even make half a positive remark about Cork hurling, I mean you just did it right there, a moment ago, you said oh look at all the changes, and instead of commentating and all those changes you whinge..again, about Donal Og.
So when Deane and Murphy retire, you don't comment about how great they are, how much they'll be missed. No instead you bitch and try and use it in your petty fight that is over at this stage.
I mean it really shows me what kind of GAA men ye are when not a word is said about them. You whinge about the players not having respect, but what about you? Do you not think that the great Joe Deane or Brian Murphy deserves respect?

I mean the people of Cork have gotten over it (to an extent) why can't you..I'll tell you why, because you can't bare having nothing to whinge about when it comes to Cork hurling.

Everyone in Cork knows why Brian Murphy can't play for Cork anymore, but no, you use the players poor fortune of not being able to play and try to turn it into something that's not.
I mean this bullshit about "I'll go along with what you say about Murphy" it's not a guess. It's fact. If you knew the first thing about migranes or Brian Murphy for that matter you wouldn't be questioning it.
I mean when he's had to come off in games because of migranes in the past was there conspiracy there? FFS like, if you knew a thing about this player you wouldn't be questioning it.

There's speculation outside Cork, maybe, I haven't heard much of it, but I haven't been in the country, but the player obviously can't play anymore because of his constant painful migranes, but no, you try to turn it into something that's not.
You are convinced that there's some underlining problem in the camp, there's not. These players will fight with their back up against the wall, they will fight till the death for eachother. Inside the camp they are united. Outside, maybe not. Like you said speculation and questions and personal attacks on the players, a massive united force wanting them all to fail and do so miserably.
But inside the camp and within the majority of the Cork GAA community they have the the bones of a full backing. The players made their stand, went as far as they good humanly possibly go, the clubs stopped at the final mark. But infairness anything they have tried has been ruled out of order or is breaking a rule or something.

And yes, Joe Deane, great hurler, is what I wanted to hear, and the fact getting it from you and your kind is like drawing blood from a rock says a lot about what kind of GAA man you are.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 12:34:09 AM
Why do you have to presume he retired for other reasons, it is widely known that he suffers badly from migranes, and he hasn't been able to play because of them it's not a case, it's fact. I don't even know if he'll carry on with his club. I mean you are making presumptions to have some sort of conspiracy to bash the players with. When you've no proof at all, no fact, nothing. He can't play because of serious migranes that he gets constantly. That's the truth. But of course that can't be believed, there most be some other way we can use a great player's unfortunate health issues..and petyness comes into it.

You couldn't bring yourself to even half compliment him or Deane? Too much to ask, they they not deserve respect? What happened off the pitch is irrelevant, and McCarthy has nothing to do with this either.
2 players are not going to play again for Cork, and not person on here comented about it. No not at all, because they are all bitter and petty. All they want to do, including yourself is bitch and moan. You even think there's a conspiracy against Murphy walking away.
Ye can't say one positive word about Cork hurling, it's gotten to a point where not even Joe Deane is apparently worthy of a mention.

And ye call yerselves Gaa fans..

As for the team against Waterford.

Delighted to see Killian Cronin back. Great decision by the manager and his team.

When it comes to Donal Og, well if you bothered looking for a second I want to see another keeper in goals.
I don't know why there's not another keeper in goals, but again you think that little of Walsh that you presume he's under some Donal Og threat or what not.
But you can't make that many changes, Donal Og will be our keeper this season, the changes are where changes could come, rotation. It's good, it's what we need. But places like goals, needs to be cemented to an extent.
But you could whinge about half of the other positions but you only choose to bitch about, yes you guessed it, Donal Og.

Christ like what, everytime there's a change in the team there most be some massive conspiracy behind it. FFS. I mean Denis Walsh is barely in the job 5 seconds and you're all ready convinced that Donal Og's got him on a lead.
I mean when will ye ever be happy. Is the constant moaning and whinging neccisary all the time. Is there not a county ye like to talk about?
I mean right there, you did it again, instead of discussing the changes you moan about Donal Og, you, and the rest of your kind, aren't capable of making a positive comment about Cork hurling either.

But what is it like, why do you and your lot spend so much time moaning and whinging on this topic, if ye dislike it so much wouldn't it be better to go and spend yere time somewhere else?

cusack
s o neill    billy paw    c murphy

kenny      curran      mcgann

hero   jerry

pa cronin    hoggy    callinan

b johnson   f o leary  naughton

Start of a rebuilding job for Denis Walsh really as can be seen from the team. Cork's biggest problems are at full back and the half forward line. He doesn't have an array of talent to choose from and it'll take him the guts of 2 years to get it right. Hopefully the Cork support will give him that time, because they'll have to.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 01:18:09 AM

within the majority of the Cork GAA community they have the the bones of a full backing

The 'bones of a full backing'?

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 01:18:09 AM

The players made their stand, went as far as they good humanly possibly go, the clubs stopped at the final mark.

I don't agree - they were very effective at rounding up a rent-a-mob which has far outnumbered any Cork attendance at any Cork game since so they can clearly tap into a market there which isn't representative of the 'Cork hurling public' - why not use the same strategy on Frank that was used on poor aul 'senile' Ger Mac?

heffo

But you can't make that many changes, Donal Og will be our keeper this season

Donal Og is fond of iterfering with the referee's authority and often remonstrates with them when he doesn't agree with their decisions - what happens when he gets sent off and you have two sub goalies who haven't a minutes competitive football in god knows how long?

johnneycool

from hoganstand.com

New Cork hurling boss Denis Walsh has reacted to his side's humiliating defeat to Kilkenny by making six changes for Sunday's final NHL outing against Waterford.

The team is notable for the inclusion of four members of the 'development' squad used by Gerald McCarthy during the players' strike earlier this year. They are full back Killian Cronin, corner back Chris Murphy, wing forward Graham Callanan and corner forward Barry Johnson, who makes his first start since McCarthy's resignation.

Jerry O'Connor and Erin's Own's Kieran Murphy, who started in attack against the Cats, form a new midfield partnership, while Pa Cronin and Fintan O'Leary come into the attack in place of Ben O'Connor and Neil Ronan.

Cork (SH v Waterford): D Og Cusack; S O Neill, K Cronin, C Murphy, T Kenny, R Curran, K McGann; K Murphy (Erin's Own), J O Connor; G Callanan, P Horgan, P Cronin; B Johnson, F O Leary, C Naughton.

Whilst its good to see that four of the lads who played during the strike still getting a run this sunday what about the others? Has the merged panel been reduced to 30 or so?

dowling

Reillers you went off on another rant implying things which weren't written. I'm not disputing why Murphy has withdrawn or how good a player he and Joe Deane are. But there has been speculation elsewhere about Murphy. Whether it's right or wrong it's a direct consequence of the strike and such a consequence and others will be there for a time to come. At least you acknowledge all is not well even though you try to downplay what's wrong.
It's not unfair to question Donal og's position and to suggest someone else deserves a shot in goals. And in view of Donal og's role in the strike and his direct clash with GMcC it's not unfair to wonder if Denis Walsh might be wary of dropping him. I have the same distaste for other strikers as I do for Donal og but I don't think their positions on the team are as open to question. Maybe you need to open your eyes to Donal og's bad recent form.
I'm all for Cork doing well, I just have a bad taste in my mouth over the strikers and would find it difficult to give them any support.
And Reillers you keep referring to us as GAA fans. Would you care to explain that as it smacks of elitist players and the GPA who think everything to do with the GAA is about the rest of the country watching the greats of the game and that is our place in the GAA.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on April 16, 2009, 03:05:42 PM
Reillers you went off on another rant implying things which weren't written. I'm not disputing why Murphy has withdrawn or how good a player he and Joe Deane are. But there has been speculation elsewhere about Murphy. Whether it's right or wrong it's a direct consequence of the strike and such a consequence and others will be there for a time to come. At least you acknowledge all is not well even though you try to downplay what's wrong.
It's not unfair to question Donal og's position and to suggest someone else deserves a shot in goals. And in view of Donal og's role in the strike and his direct clash with GMcC it's not unfair to wonder if Denis Walsh might be wary of dropping him. I have the same distaste for other strikers as I do for Donal og but I don't think their positions on the team are as open to question. Maybe you need to open your eyes to Donal og's bad recent form.
I'm all for Cork doing well, I just have a bad taste in my mouth over the strikers and would find it difficult to give them any support.
And Reillers you keep referring to us as GAA fans. Would you care to explain that as it smacks of elitist players and the GPA who think everything to do with the GAA is about the rest of the country watching the greats of the game and that is our place in the GAA.
And yet again you ignore my post.
You say you'll go along with what I said, it's the truth.
I think someone else should be in goals because I think that Coleman has a better puck out then him, but that's my opinion. What happened in the past months, is in the past. Donal Og is one of the best keepers in Cork. He gives so much confidence to the backs in front of him, confidence and leadership is what is needed.
But you try to find something that isn't there, you are basically insulting Denis Walsh by what you're saying.
I mean you're looking for something to whine about again. First Brian Murphy, then Donal Og. I mean you ramble on about bull about Donal Og's bad form based on nothing, 3 games? 2 of which he didn't have much to do in. I mean I'd have no bother if another keeper was in goals but giving unfair, unwarranted criticism because of personal bias against a player is unfair.

You're all for Cork, you've gone several posts without saying a genuine word about one of the all time greats of the game, that's my problem. Showing me what type of Gaa man you are. Something that had to be dragged from you, like trying to get blood from a stone, it shouldn't be like that, and that's my problem.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on April 16, 2009, 09:08:03 AM

Donal Og is fond of iterfering with the referee's authority and often remonstrates with them when he doesn't agree with their decisions - what happens when he gets sent off and you have two sub goalies who haven't a minutes competitive football in god knows how long?

As is every other keeper, find me a keeper that doesn't have a go at the ref.
You know full well that everyone does. Even the best of them. I mean get off the high horse, it's what ALL the keepers do. But again personal bias comes into place.

When he gets sent off or injured, you'll have an excellent keeper in place. Coleman or Nash. Donal Og got sent off against Galway Coleman went into goal and did very well, and you know why? Because the training that they do with Donal Og is intense and top level. Usually you've only one keeper training with the no.1 at matches as well, but Donal Og prefers it and the trainers agree that the 2 train to keep it competitive and to keep him on his toes.
They make him better, but knowing full well that the more they all train together the more danger that he'll be overtaken.

Reillers

Quote from: johnneycool on April 16, 2009, 09:16:59 AM
from hoganstand.com

New Cork hurling boss Denis Walsh has reacted to his side's humiliating defeat to Kilkenny by making six changes for Sunday's final NHL outing against Waterford.

The team is notable for the inclusion of four members of the 'development' squad used by Gerald McCarthy during the players' strike earlier this year. They are full back Killian Cronin, corner back Chris Murphy, wing forward Graham Callanan and corner forward Barry Johnson, who makes his first start since McCarthy's resignation.

Jerry O'Connor and Erin's Own's Kieran Murphy, who started in attack against the Cats, form a new midfield partnership, while Pa Cronin and Fintan O'Leary come into the attack in place of Ben O'Connor and Neil Ronan.

Cork (SH v Waterford): D Og Cusack; S O Neill, K Cronin, C Murphy, T Kenny, R Curran, K McGann; K Murphy (Erin's Own), J O Connor; G Callanan, P Horgan, P Cronin; B Johnson, F O Leary, C Naughton.

Whilst its good to see that four of the lads who played during the strike still getting a run this sunday what about the others? Has the merged panel been reduced to 30 or so?

He's given the lads a good chance to prove themselves, and I'm delighted to see the 4 lads given a go, but in reality, the best have been kept back, the rest aren't good enough and they'll probably never be. They were played after probably close to the top 100 players in the county refused to do so.
They played which is fair enough, but I doubt, unless they improve a lot, that any of them will wear the Cork jersey any time soon.

EddieMerx

That is unless the Cork Players don't strike again ;)

Onlooker

Brian Murphy is a very fine player, a top class corner back and a real loss to Cork.  Because of his age people were surprised that he decided to retire.  It is also a fact that he has never been a critic of Gerald McCarthy and people are adding 2 and 2 together and perhaps we are getting 5, but no one can be surprised at the speculation.  Only the player himself knows what might have led to his decision.  He has played with migraine in the past, which must have been very difficult, but if things were different in the Cork camp maybe he would have tried to carry on.  Who knows.   Joe Deane was a great corner forward, the best Cork have had for while, but he has a lot of miles on the clock so a retirement by him would not cause the same comment.  Again, I have never heard him criticise Gerald McCarthy's coaching.  Anyway, the best of luck to 2 fine hurlers.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 03:25:22 PM

You know full well that everyone does. Even the best of them. I mean get off the high horse, it's what ALL the keepers do.

Stop trying to drag all the other keepers down to Donal Og's level - just because he does it consistently doesn't mean it's right.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on April 16, 2009, 03:40:45 PM
Quote from: Reillers on April 16, 2009, 03:25:22 PM

You know full well that everyone does. Even the best of them. I mean get off the high horse, it's what ALL the keepers do.

Stop trying to drag all the other keepers down to Donal Og's level - just because he does it consistently doesn't mean it's right.
Personal bias attacks again. Donal Og is not half as bad as some of the other keepers, I mean really, take a look around. A certain Davy Fitz when he was playing had his own run in with a few refs.
Take of the bloody tinted glasses and get off your high horse.
You're either being incredibly biased or you've seen very little hurling games in your life.