McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

QuoteBut the issue is still in the papers anyway, contrary to your implication.

So your friends say one thing, Tomas, and others, say another.... that reads like division to me.

You're deluding yourself if you think what happened re the Kilkenny match isn't unusual. That wasn't anti-Cork sentiment, it was anti-2008 panel sentiment and you probably know that. A couple of posters have thrown up articles to back up their argument, as this isn't yet out of the papers why don't you throw up one to show everyone is just a bitter so and so to back up your argument?

You miss the point Zulu. What's done isn't done. There's still a lot going on and a good chance much more will happen in the future. Or are you saying that you're friends have told you there wont be another strike or any further issues?

Same old same old from you dowling, I could argue the toss but there is no point, from my 'on the ground' experience in Cork, everyone is moving on and most are far more interested in their clubs now than the fall out from the winter. The point I'm making here dowling is that we have said everything (numerous times) and nobody has changed their position to any degree so there is no point in going over it again. But if you want to post the same thing you've posted before then go right ahead, maybe you're just venting and this helps you.

QuoteMy county? Don't think it's relevent to this debate. But I thought you made a point about people trying to score on here so if you can give a good argument as to why my posting on one subject or my county is relevent then I'll respond.

No reason, I just thought you might like to talk about other GAA related topics, like how your county will fare in this years championship or what you learned from the leagues. If you don't well that's alright too, it's no big deal.

dowling

What's the same old same old Zulu? You're the one who came on and said all is well and us plebes were just being personal. Yet you're the one- typical pro poster - who gets personal and denies what's in front of you. Your friends in Cork say one thing, others in Cork say another, if you don't call that division put another definition on it.

And will there be no further strikes or issues?

If I wanted to comment on the championship and my county's involvement I'm sure I could find another thread but I'm glad that's not an issue for you.

dowling

And by the way Zulu I believe the strike will have a negative effect on performance as does Tony Considine.

"Surprisingly, for a team that's usually so crisp in their hurling, Cork looked ponderous yesterday, dropping balls, failing to control. I wonder, how much of what has gone on for the past several months affected this team?

They had two great wins over the last couple of weeks, but as someone said, they were hurling just on memory. The reality is that Kilkenny didn't have to play with the pedal to the metal yesterday. Despite their brilliance, I don't think they were really in top gear. Once Eoin Larkin got their second goal, it was cruise control for Kilkenny.

It has to be the strike, the repercussions of the strike, finally taking its toll in Cork; it can't be heavy training, an excuse being thrown out by a lot of struggling counties at the moment – Cork haven't had that. No, I think the effects of the strike really only kicked in yesterday. When you take the field against Kilkenny, especially the mood this Kilkenny team is in at the moment, your head has to be absolutely right – Cork were all wrong yesterday."

So the repecussions of the strike reach into different areas and while people might try to 'put it all behind us' it - the effect of the strike - will be there for some time to come.

Zulu

I'm going to leave it at this because I've no intention of arguing the same issue with you or anyone else all over again but to respond to your last post....

QuoteWhat's the same old same old Zulu?

You saying the exact same things you've been saying for months now.

QuoteYou're the one who came on and said all is well and us plebes were just being personal. Yet you're the one- typical pro poster - who gets personal and denies what's in front of you.

What, where did I get personal? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

QuoteYour friends in Cork say one thing, others in Cork say another, if you don't call that division put another definition on it.

Yes because normally whole counties agree on things  ::) ::) ::), if you put any 5 people in a room there'd generally be disagreement to some degree on any issue.

QuoteAnd will there be no further strikes or issues?

Time will tell but nothing posted on here will influence that one way or another.

QuoteIf I wanted to comment on the championship and my county's involvement I'm sure I could find another thread but I'm glad that's not an issue for you.

And hopefully you will, I think it would be healthy for you to have another interest.

QuoteAnd by the way Zulu I believe the strike will have a negative effect on performance as does Tony Considine

Maybe it will maybe it won't but I'm sure you'll be blaming the strike for any defeat Cork suffer this year, by the way were Tipp on strike too this year or was there a different reason for them getting hammered by Kilkenny?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Zulu on April 13, 2009, 06:43:01 PM
Well any lads I meet on the road I'll be sure to send your way 'fox' and your can ring your bell and tell them all about how the end is nigh, me, like most others I know am just going to get on with it. Don't forget your sandwhich board 'fox'.

Just for this Cork set of hurlers... the rest of the GAA will be okay.

dowling

Quote from: Zulu on April 13, 2009, 05:03:10 PM
Welcome back to the compound OM, there's gritz n' beer in the kitchen. Later wes goin shootin rabbits for supper before we have our nightly doomsday meetin, just ta make sure everyone's on message.  :D :D :D :D

Surely that's a little personal Zulu.

Of course you're right in that there has been repitition on this thread. If you really wanted to confront that however you should have been on a long time ago making that point to Reillers.

Time will indeed tell if another strike will take place or if issues of contention will surface but we can get a flavour of what may arise by what people say and do. The fact that the wider GAA family has expressed strong disapproval of the 2008 panel might impact on future intentions. I would imagine that the 2008 panel have been taken aback somewhat at such strong disapproval.

I'm sure the Cork clubs are focusing on championship but that doesn't mean everything else has been put to bed.

Of course there isn't as much debate as previously, a lot of what's being expressed now is comment but so what.

As for the same old....... As the Kilkenny match was recent and that's the main issue of my posts how have I been making the same points for months?

Bing Crosby .

This is a great thread and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it over the last few months .

longrunsthefox

That's good- I loved that Irving Berlin song you did about Christmas... thanks

Bud Wiser

I was down in Laois today and a fella from Castletown told me the Cork hurlers are going on strike again and refusing to play until BRian Cody retires !
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

EddieMerx

Quote from: Bud Wiser on April 14, 2009, 09:03:35 PM
I was down in Laois today and a fella from Castletown told me the Cork hurlers are going on strike again and refusing to play until BRian Cody retires !

I think I would support that strike ;D

johnneycool

Certainly for the betterment of Cork hurling Brian has to go but he must agree to take the current squad with him, that'll have a twofold improvement in the fortunes of the leesiders:

1 More chance of beating the second string of Cats but not a given
2 A larger split of the Club energise pie with Shefflin and Tommy Walsh out of the way

when's the protest down grand parade?

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on April 15, 2009, 12:58:50 PM
Certainly for the betterment of Cork hurling Brian has to go but he must agree to take the current squad with him, that'll have a twofold improvement in the fortunes of the leesiders:

1 More chance of beating the second string of Cats but not a given
2 A larger split of the Club energise pie with Shefflin and Tommy Walsh out of the way

when's the protest down grand parade?

I don't know but there's sure to be a big crowd, espcially if it's at the weekend !  ;)

INDIANA

See Brian Murphy has retired- big loss for them. Very surprised at that- something not quite right there. He's not that old.
Deane is definitely gone as well.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on April 15, 2009, 09:23:33 PM
See Brian Murphy has retired- big loss for them. Very surprised at that- something not quite right there. He's not that old.

I think you'll find that Brian had some "issues" with some less savoury aspects of the strike.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on April 15, 2009, 10:12:11 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 15, 2009, 09:23:33 PM

I think you'll find that Brian had some "issues" with some less savoury aspects of the strike.

Oh for the love of God, first post since I'm back and it's, as per usual, proving the OM knows absolutely nothing and is talking through his ass.
Brian Murphy had to walk away becuase he suffers from migranes, something that has really hamperoued him over the years, and of late have really struck him down. Thankfully I don't get them, but if any of ye did ye'd know that you can't really function, never mind play.

But typical from ye, looking for something to bitch and moan about. Always looking for a conspiracy to thrash Cork.