McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

Reillers

anglocelt39.
I've no doubt that you LOVED today's result, you and your type, the booing, the throwing bottles on to the pitch type fans will have loved todays result.
Now maybe if you consider a few things before you run your mouth off disrespectfully again.
That well..
Kilkenny beat teams with results like that on a normal basis, constantly, and with that in mind maybe you should remember that this Cork team, the Cork team that the clubs in Cork backed 100% have only been playing together as a team for about 3 weeks now, had to face Kilkenny, who had been training together for months and beat teams like that normally anyway.
That Kilkenny were hitting massive form before Cork even took to the pitch for their first game.
That this was the first game under Walsh, who doesn't know who is best players are, what their best way of playing is and who plays best where..etc.
That we'd incredibly young inexperienced players on the pitch today who will hurt from that, McGann, Cadogan, O Leary, Og Murphy, Murphy, Hartnett, Naughton, Horgan, Cronin, a much younger team then Kilkenny, especially when you put them up against say oh I don't know, the likes of Shefflin, that it might, just might end badly. Maybe ye could show a bit of sympathy for them. Is that too much to ask?
No problem at all doing the same for the 09 lads.
How about it's very hard for anyteam to go to Nowlan park and win. How about that this Cork team is much better then the way the played today.
How about sticking on topic then constantly whinging and moaning about the past about poor old Gerald who you probably never heard of before this anyway.
And what about the Clare and Limerick wins, I don't recall you ever saying well done to them there, maybe what a difference a manager makes.
I think we call that pettyness. Not even a half a compliment. Showing your true colors there all right.

Now I've know doubt that we still would have lost, 99% sure we would have lost but maybe, just maybe you could take any of that into consideration before you post such an arrogant obnoxious, petty, childish post again.
The Kilkenny fans had a lot of dignity today, modest, proud..etc, a lot like their hurlers. The same can't be said for you. I'm glad Cork never come across whatever county you are from because it's clear it's not a hurling one ever, if all your fans are like you.

Well done. You've out done yourself.

Bud Wiser

There was a fella on here the other day saying that Dublin were "improving" but when Gerald McCarthy's young cubs beat the Dubs the same fella was saying that it was only Dublin they beat!

Dublin have had only a total of 5-85, five goals and eighty five points, scored against them in the league while Cork have had eight goals and a hundred and one points scored against them ! Biy contrast Dublin have scored ten goals and eighty eight points so far in the league, in division one against the best of them.

Considine said today after the game that he could not understand how the manager today made such a decision to play three men at centre field who were pucking the ball into where there was nobody.  The knives are out?  Maybe not but it is the first time I heard a senior person criticising their own manager.  If that type of thing starts the tracksuits and the 160,000 will be taken back.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

anglocelt39

Reillers, I appreciate you taking time out to post a considered and thoughtful response to my few questions. Now I must admit I probably lapsed into a few judgemental comments in my post which might have caused you to inadvertently lose sight of one or two of the central issues/questions in my post. For that I apologise. In the interests of keeping it simple I will restate my comments/questions:

Do the Cork Hurlers and some of their more one eyed supporters accept the proposition that their failure on the pitch in 2007 and 2008 might just be, in some small way, related to themselves and not solely a matter relating to Gerald McCarthy and his management team?

Secondly, can you just check out for me when was the last time cork took a 26 point defeat in a senior inter county hurling fixture.

Thank you.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

anglocelt39

Secondly, can you just check out for me when was the last time cork took a 26 point defeat in a senior inter county hurling fixture.

Reillers, look sorry to be a real bore but can you update the above to a 27 point defeat, apologies for the oversight on my part
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Reillers

I haven't a clue, do your own bloody research, I've no time for you after that post, one of the most obnoxious childish posts you'll read and that includes everything OM's posted. Go watch the premiership or something your lot are more suited for that.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on April 05, 2009, 06:32:14 PM
anglocelt39.
I've no doubt that you LOVED today's result, you and your type, the booing, the throwing bottles on to the pitch type fans will have loved todays result.
Now maybe if you consider a few things before you run your mouth off disrespectfully again.
That well..
Kilkenny beat teams with results like that on a normal basis, constantly, and with that in mind maybe you should remember that this Cork team, the Cork team that the clubs in Cork backed 100% have only been playing together as a team for about 3 weeks now, had to face Kilkenny, who had been training together for months and beat teams like that normally anyway.
That Kilkenny were hitting massive form before Cork even took to the pitch for their first game.
That this was the first game under Walsh, who doesn't know who is best players are, what their best way of playing is and who plays best where..etc.
That we'd incredibly young inexperienced players on the pitch today who will hurt from that, McGann, Cadogan, O Leary, Og Murphy, Murphy, Hartnett, Naughton, Horgan, Cronin, a much younger team then Kilkenny, especially when you put them up against say oh I don't know, the likes of Shefflin, that it might, just might end badly. Maybe ye could show a bit of sympathy for them. Is that too much to ask?
No problem at all doing the same for the 09 lads.
How about it's very hard for anyteam to go to Nowlan park and win. How about that this Cork team is much better then the way the played today.
How about sticking on topic then constantly whinging and moaning about the past about poor old Gerald who you probably never heard of before this anyway.
And what about the Clare and Limerick wins, I don't recall you ever saying well done to them there, maybe what a difference a manager makes.
I think we call that pettyness. Not even a half a compliment. Showing your true colors there all right.

Now I've know doubt that we still would have lost, 99% sure we would have lost but maybe, just maybe you could take any of that into consideration before you post such an arrogant obnoxious, petty, childish post again.
The Kilkenny fans had a lot of dignity today, modest, proud..etc, a lot like their hurlers. The same can't be said for you. I'm glad Cork never come across whatever county you are from because it's clear it's not a hurling one ever, if all your fans are like you.

Well done. You've out done yourself.

A few observations. I think I've earned the right to comment at least.

1- Kilkenny don't beat Cork Like that. Its over for hurling in general for  ast least 5-7 years but its over for Cork as well. Thats the end of that team today.

2- Kilkenny are playing at a level that no other team will ever match at the moment regardless of training.

3- It was an atrocious selection by Walsh as I alluded to during the week. Playing centre backs at wing forwards. Trying to play 3 across the middle. Playing other guys who have never delivered on a regular basis for Cork.

4- The young players mentioned above are being asked to replace some of the best hurlers Cork have ever had. Its not going to happen. And its not a fair expectation. But the Cork public are an unforgiving bunch.

5- Barry Johnson and a couple of others from the 09 squad would be a better bet than some of the guys Reillers mentions. There is others on the UCC squad not even on the panel. But with Kilkenny its all academic anyway. Unless JBM, Seanie O leary and Tony O Sullivan make a comeback Cork are in trouble.

johnneycool

Good god, I nearly had a tinge of sympathy for Donal O'G and Co yesterday it was that bad. Kilkenny went for the jugular right from the first whistle and were scoring at will. In fairness to Walsh i think he reverted to playing a three man midfield in an attempt to stem the tide but Micheal Kavanagh was able to sweep up a get the clearances beyond the Cork extra man in midfield but it did have a limited success as the scoreboard operator had time to rest his index finger.
Yet another Donal O'g short puck out went wrong and resulted in a score, maybe with the longer nights they'll be able to work on them.
Cadogan at fullback seemed lost in the aerial exchanges and for all the rocks obvious weakness' he dominated the air in and around the 6 yard area. The first goal after the turn around should have been batted away but for some unknown reason he didn't do anything, even if Donal O'g had shouted he should have at least ensured that this opponent didn't get a touch to it. Does he play fullback for his club?
The Cork stickwork was off the pace but that is to be expected but you can't see it improve enough to turn around a 27 point defeat and then we'll be on the search for another Cork manager come October/November.

It's kilkenny's AI to lose IMO

theskull1

So all the training that the Cork 08 hurlers were doing was actually not really what you could describe as quality training at all (even though we were lead to believe that it was going great guns at the time) but more of a media stunt and endorsement opertunity?

Time will tell if there is the room for serious improvement in this team. Can't see Cork getting alot of love/respect this year from alot of neutral counties (rightly or wrongly). They have a bad karma about them now over the way they have handled the Ger McC dispute and it will live long in memories for a fair few years to come.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Do ye realise how petty he all sound. I'd say one of ye said well done for either of the wins, it is the most ye have actually talked hurling over the 400 pages. Unbelivably petty.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on April 06, 2009, 10:33:35 AM
Do ye realise how petty he all sound. I'd say one of ye said well done for either of the wins, it is the most ye have actually talked hurling over the 400 pages. Unbelivably petty.

We are talking hurling - you claimed the hurlers were 'flying' as they trained all winter (in fact they should have a head start on KK as they were training collectively during the training ban - another rule the strikers didn't believe applied to them) - they had a pitch, sliothars, a top class trainer in Seanie McGrath and gear sponsored by Adidas

You made it sound like it was great - what was the problem?

Reillers

And they were flying, their fitness is there but it's obvious that they had no real manager, and they were training once a week at the most,
They've only been really training for about 3 weeks.
But there's only so much you can do in a couple weeks. And now you're at that, EVERYONE trains in the winter by themselves, but no, just nit picking and whinging about Cork, EVERYONE trains and you are niave to think otherwise, very naive.
Why are you nit picking and acting so childish?
Like I said very petty on here, not one of ye made a comment when Cork won their first 2 games, not a word, like I said, extremley sad and petty.

bingobus

Quote from: Reillers on April 06, 2009, 10:33:35 AM

This thread wasn't started to discuss the merits of hurling matches. It was started to discuss a strike by the Cork hurlers.

If you want to discuss, Cork Hurling displays, team selection and that only, I suggest you start a Cork Hurling thread. But i get the impression Cork Hurling will take a while to escape this latest episode.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on April 06, 2009, 10:47:50 AM
And they were flying, their fitness is there but it's obvious that they had no real manager, and they were training once a week at the most,
They've only been really training for about 3 weeks.
But there's only so much you can do in a couple weeks. And now you're at that, EVERYONE trains in the winter by themselves, but no, just nit picking and whinging about Cork, EVERYONE trains and you are niave to think otherwise, very naive.
Why are you nit picking and acting so childish?
Like I said very petty on here, not one of ye made a comment when Cork won their first 2 games, not a word, like I said, extremley sad and petty.

If they have been training collectively all winter and you want to take account of a poor team selection and tactics by Walsh then knock off a few points from the 28 point margin.

rrhf

Oh John , Donal  Sean  your boys took one hell of a beating!!!
A great result for anyone with any love for the GAA and its core values.
Those hurlers who claimed they were better than they were, Wheres the statement? Wheres the fecking statement? I want a statement from them admitting that they are sorry for trashing Cork hurling bringing it to its knees, and that full scale retirements are imminent.  Sign on the dotted line boys.   Yer mans eyes would have been red last night.  For the love of Cork Hurling my arse.