McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on April 03, 2009, 06:10:43 PM
Quote from: Reillers on April 03, 2009, 05:39:52 PM
Quote from: orangeman on April 03, 2009, 05:37:36 PM
You got that answer a few pages ago !! You mightn't be willing to admit it but there's 4/5 whose best years are behind them and a few more who are getting near the hill.

No I didn't, deffinetly not from you, so tell me (presuming you can name more then 4/5) who do you think are past it, and don't bother responding if all you are going to do is copy and paste from a few pages ago.

A lot of these players haven't been around for 4/5 years.

So tell me. Who in YOUR view do you think are past it?

Ok - Sean Og - I've seen ( and heard ) enough to suggest that he's past his best. He's no longer feared and now has to concentrate more on his defensive duties. Against KK last year he was "picked on" - a sign that there's a weakness.

Donal Og - ditto.

Sully - was taken to the cleaners a few times over the summer and only for Gerald giving him another chance against KK he would have gone down as the great full back who stayed on a year too long. He no longer competes for the ball but chooses to come and bat it away and hope that the corner men come to his rescue. But as I said no shame - he was one of my favourites and those shoulder charges are now the stuff of legends. Even last year against Clare he was able to still produce a big one.

Curran - signs that he is not the force of old.

The half back line of Cork's in 2003 - 2004 was their best line - it was the best line in Ireland - you couldn't have got three better lads - this is no longer the case.

Timmy has said today that he still wants to play in the Cork jersey again - I don't think he will. Time's up.

Niall - a real power house but is in decline. Brute force and ignorance were his real strengths - but doesn't have the same impact.

Deane - a great player but again his best days are behind him. No shame as I said.

When the twins go, Kenny goes - what are you left with ??

Maybe I'm being harsh and I apologise if I am but that's my view.

Sean Og, well isn't it great we have an excellent replacement.
Sully is looking better then ever, fitter and sharper then ever, and turned in top class preformances with his club there recently, one of which he score 2-3.And even at that, it's great to know we've an excellent replacement for him too.
Curran is looking no such thing, when has he looked past it?
Timmy mign't play again, said he'd like to but there are better players.
Niall is pretty much gone.
Deane is finished, he's not coming back.
So where's the problem, we've excellent replacements for them.

The twins look better then ever and still have a few years left. As does Kenny and we've also very good replacements for Jerry and Tom, maybe not with Ben, but that would be like trying to replace Shefflin, you only get one of them on a one off.

Well done though, you've shown me something all right..You can copy and paste.

INDIANA

Its an excellent analysis by myself Reillers and far more concise than anything you've offered. By the way I said Cadogan was good not average. He is a good hurler but he's a better footballer. He's an excellent footballer in my view. Saw him at u21 level at football in 2007.Of the ones you've named I'd rate him 2nd after O Sulivan in terms of natural talent at hurling.
I'll be brutally honest with you I don't rate the rest and I think Denis Walsh is using Sunday as a squad eliminator.

orangeman

And you've shown me that youe even more delusional than I thought you were -

You've got players who are so good as Sean Og, Cusack, Sully, Deano, the twins etc were ?? You're out of your mind.

These lads were awesome players - you're not going to replace these lads over night no matter what you say.

You're out of your mind but I have to admire your optimism.

Reillers

Quote from: INDI
ANA link=topic=9876.msg516524#msg516524 date=1238779136

Its an excellent analysis by myself Reillers and far more concise than anything you've offered. By the way I said Cadogan was good not average. He is a good hurler but he's a better footballer. He's an excellent footballer in my view. Saw him at u21 level at football in 2007.Of the ones you've named I'd rate him 2nd after O Sulivan in terms of natural talent at hurling.
I'll be brutally honest with you I don't rate the rest and I think Denis Walsh is using Sunday as a squad eliminator.

Well it's clear you've shown high highly you think of yourself lately.

You've said Callanan's average with know explanation.
I said Jordan was excellent in the Cup, you then come along and say he was great in the cup but then sprouted the same old media don't know if he'll be able to make the step up crap.
You say Sully Og is better then the lot, you never mentioned that earlier, you said they are all average and they wont do well. When Sully Og has the potential to be one of the best in Ireland.
But you said they were all average and that in my view includes Cadogan and Sully Og..etc.
Jordan I rate very highly, and I rate Murphy right up there as well. He's a tremendous talent.

Who don't you rate?}
I just feel you are being incredibly hard on lads that you've barely seen.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on April 03, 2009, 06:22:04 PM
And you've shown me that youe even more delusional than I thought you were -

You've got players who are so good as Sean Og, Cusack, Sully, Deano, the twins etc were ?? You're out of your mind.

These lads were awesome players - you're not going to replace these lads over night no matter what you say.

You're out of your mind but I have to admire your optimism.

I said we've great replacements, you're lucky to find a Ben/Jerry O Connor or all the lads above once in a decade. I think we've got excellent lads there with tremendous potential. None of which you've seen at all.

We have players who can do well in those positions, now they wont be the same as the twins, but they are once in a decade type players. We've great replacements, but the lads named above are really one ofs. But we have players that can potentially come in a do a good job so we wont feel the loss as much.

It's pointless trying to discuss gaa with you OM, you've shown from every post you've made that you know nothing about it, esepecially Cork gaa, isn't there a topic for whatever team you do follow around here somewhere, where you might actually know what you're talking about?

INDIANA

I said we've great replacements, you're lucky to find a Ben/Jerry O Connor or all the lads above once in a decade. I think we've got excellent lads there with tremendous potential. None of which you've seen.

How many minor and u21 all-irelands have these guys won?
How many times have they beaten Kilkenny at championship hurling at any grade since u14?
Some of them couldn't beat Clare at u21 last year
How many years have some of them been on the Cork panel- and yet to play any significant role in the championship?

These according to yourself are going to seamlessly replace All-stars? You're not being fair to them Reillers. Of those 6/7 players - no more than 2 will ever be regulars for Cork at championship hurling. Cadogan and O Sulivan.

And by the way I said Cadogan was good not average- why don't you read things.

orangeman

Trying to tell us that you've got replacements down there for Sully, Cusack, Sean Og etc ( some of the best players Cork has ever had ) shows how out of touch you really are. At least I don't live down there. You do ( sorry I forgot you were in Reillersland ).

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on April 03, 2009, 06:35:59 PM
Trying to tell us that you've got replacements down there for Sully, Cusack, Sean Og etc ( some of the best players Cork has ever had ) shows how out of touch you really are. At least I don't live down there. You do ( sorry I forgot you were in Reillersland ).

Oh Om, Om, Om.
Donal Og in my view isn't the best keeper in the county now. And we've several keepers, any of them would be more then capable of doing just as well and have better distribution then him.
We've a few posibilities for Sean og and Sully, you've seen 2 of them, well people who watched the 2 League games saw both of them playing and doing very well.

Stop trying to talk about something you know NOTHING about. If you did you'd know that Cadogan is an excellent player, you'd know that the goalkeepers position is one of the strongest we have in years..etc.
But no you go on trying to put words together into a ridiculous sentence.  For someone who hates Cork GAA you spend an awful lot of time here, isn't there some other topic on here where you could talk about whatever team it is you follow?

orangeman

If you left the wee coccon that is Reillersland you'd see that you don't have replacements that will hurl to the standard of the lads I've mentioned and no amount of contending otherwise will convince me otherwise. You're in denial but I commend your efforts if not your methods. Smoke etc

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 03, 2009, 06:34:40 PM
I said we've great replacements, you're lucky to find a Ben/Jerry O Connor or all the lads above once in a decade. I think we've got excellent lads there with tremendous potential. None of which you've seen.

How many times have they beaten Kilkenny at championship hurling at any grade since u14?
How many years have some of them been on the Cork panel- and yet to play any significant role in the championship?

These according to yourself are going to seamlessly replace All-stars? You're not being fair to them Reillers. Of those 6/7 players - no more than 2 will ever be regulars for Cork at championship hurling. Cadogan and O Sulivan.

You said, you've seen them with your two eyes and that they are just average.
Again I don't know how many times I've to go over this.
These boys wont win anything until they are coached well, supported well and the right teams are selected.
They have all been very competitive. Like I said 8 years in a row this minor team has been in the Munster final and the U21s have won a handfull of Munsters over the past few years.
Both were in lost AI finals and several semi final losses. They are there and there about but when you are put up against a team who is well trained and well selected they'll come out on top every time.
Do you not agree.

It's a simple question. Say if you've athletes competing in a long distance race, say there are 4 excellent atheletes running for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the last mile, say they are all of the top class natural ability, but 3 of them have had top class training, several brilliant coaches, doing conditioning and months of preperation, while the 4th has had a poor trainer and no help with conditioning or nutrition and very little preperation. Who's more likely to come 4th? Who's more likely to fall behind at the end line when it's matters, when the extra work and top class training and preperation really counts.
The 3 well trained lads or teh 4th guy?

I never said they'll be as good, I said we've very good replacements. You don't just replace Ben and Jerry and the team wont feel it. But we have players who could potentially do very well.
And so what you are saying there obviously applies to Kilkenny aswell right, they'll suffer because you can't just replace some of the best players they've ever had, you can't just replace all stars right, that's not being fair right?

And only 2 will make it. You are being incredibly harsh on players you've barely ever seen play. Don't they deserve a chance to atleast give it ago without being slammed by anti Cork haters before they even take to the pitch?

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on April 03, 2009, 06:45:11 PM
If you left the wee coccon that is Reillersland you'd see that you don't have replacements that will hurl to the standard of the lads I've mentioned and no amount of contending otherwise will convince me otherwise. You're in denial but I commend your efforts if not your methods. Smoke etc

Cocoon is what you meant I'm sure. Like I said OM I'm not going to debate GAA with you, you've shown you've no knowledge at all when it comes to Cork.

Seroiusly though isn't there some other topic where you could talk about a team you like instead of spending all your time on here bitching about a team you hate.

orangeman

Cocoon - I thought you'd spot that !

Great teams can't last forever - it wasn't Gerald's fault ( and I don't want to go over old ground ) that you lost in , 2006, 2007, 2008 and it won't be Walsh's fault in 2009 even though some will inevitably apportion blame. But it will be another smokescreen - Reillers - much as you believe otherwise, this Cork team are on the way out - no shame in that - only one team can win the AI and right now Cork are not in a position to win the AI - They've been overtaken and the players have to accept that - so do the supporters. I don't hate Cork GAA - I really enjoyed the Cork team from 1999 onwards - especially their 2 wins later on. But the big players have too many miles on the clock and their years are behind them.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on April 03, 2009, 06:52:13 PM

These boys wont win anything until they are coached well, supported well and the right teams are selected.
They have all been very competitive. Like I said 8 years in a row this minor team has been in the Munster final and the U21s have won a handfull of Munsters over the past few years.
Both were in lost AI finals and several semi final losses. They are there and there about but when you are put up against a team who is well trained and well selected they'll come out on top every time.
Do you not agree.

It's a simple question. Say if you've athletes competing in a long distance race, say there are 4 excellent atheletes running for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the last mile, say they are all of the top class natural ability, but 3 of them have had top class training, several brilliant coaches, doing conditioning and months of preperation, while the 4th has had a poor trainer and no help with conditioning or nutrition and very little preperation. Who's more likely to come 4th? Who's more likely to fall behind at the end line when it's matters, when the extra work and top class training and preperation really counts.

I never said they'll be as good, I said we've very good replacements. You don't just replace Ben and Jerry and the team wont feel it. But we have players who could potentially do very well.
And so what you are saying there obviously applies to Kilkenny aswell right, they'll suffer because you can't just replace some of the best players they've ever had, you can't just replace all stars right, that's not being fair right?

And only 2 will make it. You are being incredibly harsh on players you've barely ever seen play. Don't they deserve a chance to atleast give it ago without being slammed by anti Cork haters before they even take to the pitch?

Reillers that is not what you said. Do I have to quote back to  you what you said? Hurling is the most technically proficient game in the world. Guys of 23-26 don't acquire new skills. At football people can because its a different game. Not at hurling and not against kilkenny when they've been expertly coached since the cradle. The damage is already done to Cork hurling in my view and you'll pay a heavy price in the coming years for it.
You have to recognise you have a problem before you can solve it. And if d you on't recognise it soon you'll never replace ben and jerry and Co.
If you want to see neglect just look at Dublin football - we've had the 70's and F*** all else due to scandalous neglect at underage level. Just look at the role of honour at underage minor and u21 football and look for dublin's name nowhere at all-ireland level. You reap what you sow.
If Cork hurling wants to go the same way-just continue as you're doing now.

orangeman

Enough about that - is FM still going to be at the helm for the next strike ?

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 03, 2009, 07:05:27 PM
Quote from: Reillers on April 03, 2009, 06:52:13 PM

Do you not agree.

Reillers that is not what you said. Do I have to quote back to  you what you said? Hurling is the most technically proficient game in the world. Guys of 23-26 don't acquire new skills. At football people can because its a different game. Not at hurling and not against kilkenny when they've been expertly coached since the cradle. The damage is already done to Cork hurling in my view and you'll pay a heavy price in the coming years for it.
You have to recognise you have a problem before you can solve it. And if d you on't recognise it soon you'll never replace ben and jerry and Co.
If you want to see neglect just look at Dublin football - we've had the 70's and F*** all else due to scandalous neglect at underage level. Just look at the role of honour at underage minor and u21 football and look for dublin's name nowhere at all-ireland level. You reap what you sow.
If Cork hurling wants to go the same way-just continue as you're doing now.

Clearly. What's not what I said. They have been expertly coached since the cradle in KK, that's been my point all along. We have the players but they'll only get so far at underage level because of the poor underage structures and set ups they have.
Cork will always have players, it's so bigh with so many clubs and good GAA men at clubs that help mould and shape these lads at a young age, that there will always be players in Cork.
Now if say Kilkenny had the same attitude to GAA as our CB did then hurling there would be wiped out in 5 minutes. But how well they'll do at U21 and minor level will always refelct on the coaching they have at that level.

We all know what the problem is but one man is sitting on his ass twiddling his tumbs who wont recognise any sort of problem. To him, Frank Murphy, everything's great and PUC is in the best shape it's ever been in.
It's almost sinful because we have the players but like I said they get no help, they are completely neglected at underage level. Only the excellent will make it. The underage lads, like the senior lads, will make it inspite of what the CCB have done.
And I think the likes of Horgan and Naughton and Cronin, Sully Og..etc have done incredibly well to get out of there.