McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieMerx

Quote from: Reillers on March 29, 2009, 11:26:54 PM
call it blowing my own trumpet if you like but I still think that Cork will get ignored by the media when it comes to being their favourite to beat KK for a while, but at the end of the day Cork always seem to be the team around at the final whistle and always seem to be the only ones who are capable of beating KK. 

Yes you are blowing your own trumpet, it is the same Cork team as last year (which had quiet a few aging player then) and they were simply humiliated by the Cats (and Cork even palyed well) Can't see Cork coming within 10 points of Kilkenny in Championship hurling. Tipperary are the only ones capable of causing a shock (Kilkenny need to play 40%-50% below par at that)

Reillers

Quote from: EddieMerx on March 30, 2009, 03:43:09 PM
call it blowing my own trumpet if you like but I still think that Cork will get ignored by the media when it comes to being their favourite to beat KK for a while, but at the end of the day Cork always seem to be the team around at the final whistle and always seem to be the only ones who are capable of beating KK. 

Yes you are blowing your own trumpet, it is the same Cork team as last year (which had quiet a few aging player then) and they were simply humiliated by the Cats (and Cork even palyed well) Can't see Cork coming within 10 points of Kilkenny in Championship hurling. Tipperary are the only ones capable of causing a shock (Kilkenny need to play 40%-50% below par at that)

The older players being who?
Because the twins, especially Ben was outstanding yesterday. The old players being who? Because everyone has seemed to improved, not only that but we've brought players in who seem to be real finds. Ya now Cork will probably loose to KK. But I think the team has improved from last season.
Tipp aren't going well and if past history shows they'll fall short.

maxpower

Cork will be the team everyone loves to hate, all their matches will generate a terrific atompshere as a result and i think this might just actually bring the best out of the Cork team.

For a so called aging team they seem to be finishing matches very strongly against Clare & Limerick and though i won't be supporting them I do think they could make a decnet fist of this years championship
What happens next????

realrebel

reillers
what do you make of the choice selectors
another barrs man in the spotllight again

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on March 30, 2009, 05:12:46 PM
reillers
what do you make of the choice selectors
another barrs man in the spotllight again

I heard Pat buckley, Ryan, and ye're own Pa Finn.
Have they been confirmed yet because I only heard rumours, didn't get a chance to look at the Echo yet, it's somewhere in the car.

realrebel

ya thats them it is confirmed alright
i think he might have a 4th but the person hasnt confirmed yet

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on March 30, 2009, 05:59:13 PM
ya thats them it is confirmed alright
i think he might have a 4th but the person hasnt confirmed yet

Not a bad line up. Can't seem to get rid of those Barrs lads though, pain in the ass.  ;) ;)

realrebel

i know ya im thinking that too
if we could produce as many players as managers we be flying ;D

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on March 30, 2009, 07:04:26 PM

The AI would be as good as ours then.  ;D ;D

I'm not going to and I doubt anyone will, question his backroom team, I think everyone's energy is gone from it. Was hoping the lads, Seanie and Wallis would stick around, any news on that?

Galwaybhoy

The way Tipp are going unless they improve drastically they have no hope of beating Kilkeeny, I'd agree with the 40%-50% bit!  A few pages back I said Tipp would be my favourites for Munster, but Cork are hurling well at the moment, and I'm not so sure now.  Its been a very interesting and at times surprising league so far, and at this moment I'd say the Munster Championship will be wide open.

heffo

Given that Sean óg is on the record as stating that Ger Mac (who has a far more impressive playing and managerial record than Dennis Walsh) didn't have his respect to start with an 'had to win his respect' - what chance has Walsh?

I know Reillers is on the record as saying the players will love Walsh for his 'style', but superficial concerns aside how will he get on?

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 30, 2009, 07:34:11 PM
Quote from: realrebel on March 30, 2009, 07:04:26 PM

The AI would be as good as ours then.  ;D ;D

I'm not going to and I doubt anyone will, question his backroom team, I think everyone's energy is gone from it. Was hoping the lads, Seanie and Wallis would stick around, any news on that?

It certainly didn't stop you before  !! What has changed ??

While Considine, in fairness he's a reasonable reputation as a coach but with the selectors: Daly, Ring and Cashman, they're all hand picked by FM.

It's his selectors that are a disaster more then he is, all CB men.

Reillers

Om you're such a child. Trying to point score constantaly bringing things up from weeks ago and taking things out me context. I retracted that and said it was very harsh. But you being the child you are can't accept that. Grow up om.

INDIANA

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 30, 2009, 10:01:40 PM

The way Tipp are going unless they improve drastically they have no hope of beating Kilkeeny, I'd agree with the 40%-50% bit!  A few pages back I said Tipp would be my favourites for Munster, but Cork are hurling well at the moment, and I'm not so sure now.  Its been a very interesting and at times surprising league so far, and at this moment I'd say the Munster Championship will be wide open.

Hard to say the munster championship is now a better standard that leinster anymore. I think Waterford have shot their bolt and Fitz knows it. Tipp aren't as good as I thought they might be. Limerick are good but no world beaters and Clare are in disarray. Cork probably will win the Munster championship this year based on the action I've seen. I'll get a look at Clare on Sunday.
Unfortunately Cork are a couple of years beyond their prime. Just not enough new players pushing the older ones. As I've said in previous threads their underage teams just aren't good enough of late. As a result kilkenny can take off martin comerford at ht (despite scoring 3-2 the previous week) and win in a canter last week. If cork took off ben o connor they'd lose. thats the difference for the rest of the country. Cork could be the 2nd best team out there again but its means nothing versus the Cats machine. Foregone conclusion again.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on March 31, 2009, 04:39:33 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 30, 2009, 10:01:40 PM

Hard to say the munster championship is now a better standard that leinster anymore. I think Waterford have shot their bolt and Fitz knows it. Tipp aren't as good as I thought they might be. Limerick are good but no world beaters and Clare are in disarray. Cork probably will win the Munster championship this year based on the action I've seen. I'll get a look at Clare on Sunday.
Unfortunately Cork are a couple of years beyond their prime. Just not enough new players pushing the older ones. As I've said in previous threads their underage teams just aren't good enough of late. As a result kilkenny can take off martin comerford at ht (despite scoring 3-2 the previous week) and win in a canter last week. If cork took off ben o connor they'd lose. thats the difference for the rest of the country. Cork could be the 2nd best team out there again but its means nothing versus the Cats machine. Foregone conclusion again.

I know I've been biased, but come on. There's KK, then there's about a mile and a half, then there's Dublin and then there's another mile. That's putting it mildly.
Waterford are past their best but can still have brilliant games, they just wont last the entire season. Tipp will be there or there abouts come Munster, it's 9 weeks before their first game. Cork's old players have gotten better, not worse, and we've unearthed some excellent players and then there are a lot of players pushing the 15 on the field. I'd agree with that statement last season, but ironically I think the Cork team has improved a lot since. Who do you think are past it?
Because going on what we've seen so far this season they've only gotten better and sharper. The twins, Sean Og is injured but McGann had a blinder of a game when he came on, Connor O Sullivan was again excellent, as was Cadogan. Trying to think really who's past it and I honestly can't think of one. Who are you thinking of?
The underage teams aren't good enough, they've improved, a lot, and the U21s are one of the favs to win it out right this season. The minors won Munster last season and should have went on to win the entire thing.
And what you've said there, how did you suddenly get that Leinster is more competitive then Munster.