McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 24, 2009, 02:17:14 PM
Allegedly being the key word here. Ger with no proof at all said that which was an unbelievably out of line accusation. The players unlike the cb do not have a nicely paid out of our pockets pr machine to counter the cb. The fastest way i imagine to get the false info out of the press is by going to another pr man. And that still has nothing to do with the gpa. I love the way ieveryone so far has taken the tiniest bits from my reply and whinged about it instead me actually replying. More insults. 

That's not true and you know it - they've got Shannon and Keys and all the rest of the sympathetic journos who are waiting on the big pay days ahead.

But as Ben says, we don't want to talk about it anymore.

Reillers

Heffo. They were outrageous allegations that her couldn't back up. They were out of line and the papers didn't print it because of that season. And om having a journo or two on your side isn't the same as having a said for pr machine working for you, no doubt getting said from our money. That's not even remotely similar. 

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 24, 2009, 02:36:21 PM
Heffo. They were outrageous allegations that her couldn't back up. They were out of line and the papers didn't print it because of that season. And om having a journo or two on your side isn't the same as having a said for pr machine working for you, no doubt getting said from our money. That's not even remotely similar. 

Reillers - the issue isn't whether the allegations were true or not

The issue is why a senior member of the GPA would intervene and make unsolicited contact with GAA journalists to advise them not to print the names of two high profile GPA members - can you answer me that given you've claimed categorically that the GPA are not involved?

Reillers

What exactly is the problem heffo. The allegations were out of line and couldn't be backed up so they weren't printed. Thex were asked not to print them because they were unbelievably out of line. So does it matter who asks them not to print them. What is the matter exactly?   

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 24, 2009, 03:22:32 PM
What exactly is the problem heffo. The allegations were out of line and couldn't be backed up so they weren't printed. Thex were asked not to print them because they were unbelievably out of line. So does it matter who asks them not to print them. What is the matter exactly?   

Nothing is the matter.

I'm simply finding it difficult to reconcile your claim from an hour or so ago that 'The GPA have nothing to do with this whole issue whatsoever' & the intervention as described above by a senior Manager in the GPA

Can you explain the intervention and in light of this intervention, do you still believe that the GPA had nothing to do with the dispute and were not involved?

Reillers

Explain what. See even that the gpa's actions there. It had nothing to do with what happened over the past few months. They did nothing at all during that time. And now so what if they stopped an untrue, insulting allegation that couldn't be backed from being released, journos wouldn't have done it anyway. It would have resulted in massive damage to the players names, something they didn't do but would get blamed anyway. It would have been unfair and unjust. So they looked out for their own. Big deal.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 24, 2009, 03:44:51 PM
Explain what. See even that the gpa's actions there. It had nothing to do with what happened over the past few months. They did nothing at all during that time. And now so what if they stopped an untrue, insulting allegation that couldn't be backed from being released, journos wouldn't have done it anyway. It would have resulted in massive damage to the players names, something they didn't do but would get blamed anyway. It would have been unfair and unjust. So they looked out for their own. Big deal.

So the GPA intervened in the dispute?

The GAA

This dispute has been and is about the disgraceful rnning of the CCB and the executive's abuse of personal power, using the county teams as their play thing, to settle personal scores. on a wider note, it is about the unaccountability of the executive through gerrymandered eroded processes and the lack of input from the clubs at county level.

In what way do you think the GPA have intervened here?

If we accept your assertion ( and i don't) that the Cork players sought help or advice on a PR matter from the GPA's communications officer, then i still don't see how you can claim that the GPA have "intervened" in the dispute.

If you want to point score, do it on the real issues

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on March 24, 2009, 04:31:45 PM

If we accept your assertion ( and i don't) that the Cork players sought help or advice on a PR matter from the GPA's communications officer, then i still don't see how you can claim that the GPA have "intervened" in the dispute.

What don't you accept?

The GAA

i've seen no evidence that this communications officer contacted journalists on the players behalf. as i say, its irrelevent anyway as you are claiming they intervened in the dispute (the details of which you nicely left out of my quote above) and this is no part of the dispute

Reillers

Quote from: The GAA on March 24, 2009, 04:59:48 PM

i've seen no evidence that this communications officer contacted journalists on the players behalf. as i say, its irrelevent anyway as you are claiming they intervened in the dispute (the details of which you nicely left out of my quote above) and this is no part of the dispute

Either have I actually.

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on March 24, 2009, 04:59:48 PM

"In the first McCarthy statement to reach the media, he claims that two players encouraged the rest of the 2008 squad not to attend his mother's funeral. In that press release, those two players are named. Word gets back to the players.

In a bizarre twist, the statement is also read by the GPA's media manager Seán Potts and, although the players are technically no longer members, he makes contact with several journalists warning about the strong possibility that the statement has libelled the two players in question and urging them to run it by their legal people"

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/settling-for-an-uneasy-peace-1673459.html

For the record, Damian Lawlor like most Journalists physically located in the Talbot st building who work for the IDM group, has been sympathetic to the 2008 hurlers

Sean Potts is a personal friend of Lawlor and sits a matter of feet away from him every day.

I guess Lawlor is lying about his friend the GPA media manager.

The GAA

I assume that the removal of the players names can be seen as an admission of libel?

Anyway, we're getting away from your standing over of the claim that the GPA intervened in the dispute

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on March 24, 2009, 05:20:49 PM

Anyway, we're getting away from your standing over of the claim that the GPA intervened in the dispute

No were not. I'm claiming that Sean Potts intervention as described above was the GPA intervening.

Do you accept this intervention took place? if not, given Mr Potts knowledge of libel laws why hasn't he initiated proceedings against his friend & colleague?

Reillers

The dispute is and was over when that happened Heffo stop trying to point score and tnit pick, it's getting old.