McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

If you were John Considine (who will only be there for a few weeks) would anybody pick the team any differently (I am of course assuming that he doesn't need the hassle)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on March 20, 2009, 01:26:16 PM
If you were John Considine (who will only be there for a few weeks) would anybody pick the team any differently (I am of course assuming that he doesn't need the hassle)

At his time of day ???  ;)

dowling

Good question skull. Firstly he's only a caretaker manager and while he has deflected any notion he'd take the job permanently explaining he didn't want distractions from Sunday you have to wonder why he doesn't want to consider the job full time. Does he really just want to concentrate on the under 21s? I would imagine the strike and attitude of the 2008 panel would be an influencing factor.
Even Reillers believes one of the other goalies deserves a chance but how could Considine not play Cusack even though he would be perfectly entitled to? I don't think it would go down too well  with the panel and would probably be interpreted as revenge for Gerald or the county board.
But also how does Considine instruct Donal og on his puck outs. Is there any point in even trying to do so? Will Donal og do his on thing anyway?

And of course it will teresting to see what happens in the days and weeks ahead.

heffo

Quote from: dowling on March 20, 2009, 03:25:32 PM

how does Considine instruct Donal og on his puck outs.

We seen what happened the last fella who tried that

Reillers

Skull, Dowling and co. Let's try this again. I personally would like to see Coleman start, others would like to see Nash and others would stick with Donal og. It's a matter of opinion. Secondly the manager will not have a problem playing anyone he wants and the players will except it as they always have done. It really shows how petty ye're bitterness and hate is to go down this route. And for Considine he has no interest in taking the job because he's allready commited to the U21s.
Simple enough yet?

Zulu

And so it continues, otherwise inteligent, reasoned posters letting themselves down with childish, idiotic posts. anyone who thinks that Considine should have picked primarily 09 players is blinded by their opinion of teh 08 squad. Any manager worth his salt wouldn't pick too many lads from the teams beaten well in their previous 3 games, while leaving AI winners on the bench with a serious point to prove. Cork folk are well used to other counties wanting to see them bet, they won't concern themselves by a few more joining the ranks. 

dowling

Reillers and zulu of course any manager is going to have problems when picking players, there will always be the dissatisfied. In the case of Considene and all that has gone on over the last few months it's only reasonable to conclude there will be a degree of trepidation. Whether it affects his decisions is another thing.
But imagine he also believed in primarily playing the long puck out. What happens there? Does Donal og suddenly comply or does he remind Considine what happened to Gerald?

theskull1

Reillers fcuk away off will you. Can someone not ask what they deem to be a reasonable question without you sticking your "agh hear we go again replys"...(I assume you cut and paste now). ffs. It is like arguing with a feckin child.

Its is perfectly reasonably for someone to think after what has gone on (regardless of where you stand), that he could very well not be bothered with the hassle of leaving alot of the 08 members out. He may very not be thinking this btw. It is only my assertion. Thats all...nothing more. You however seem to be all knowing about these things and see everyone else is a bitter fool if they say something remotely slighting of your beloved 08 panel.

Zulu. Has Reillers found your password details?  ??? WTF
Are you saying that is idiotic for me to think that someone who doesn't want the post full time will take the path of least resistance (hassle) during his few games in charge. Of course the fact that they have pedigree also makes it easier for him. But internally he "may" think a shake up in the team selection might be needed. I was only asserting that the hassle factor "may "stop him from selecting a different team?

Zulu

QuoteAre you saying that is idiotic for me to think that someone who doesn't want the post full time will take the path of least resistance (hassle) during his few games in charge. Of course the fact that they have pedigree also makes it easier for him. But internally he "may" think a shake up in the team selection might be needed. I was only asserting that the hassle factor "may "stop him from selecting a different team?

Maybe he is picking the path of least resistance but he is also picking, by and large, the best players which is what any coach would/should do. This is what what Kerry Mike posted (which was seconded by Magpie S)...........

QuoteThats says it all about Cork hurling, the 2008 Prima donnas just walk back onto the team with little or no competition, while most of the 2009 panel have now been cast aside having given their all for the Cork cause over the last few months.

Of course the 09 panel are going to be cast aside because most of them aren't up to it, there is no shame in that, but only a fool would retain them while AI winners are sitting on the bench. I'm sure Considine doesn't want any hassle but he'd get plenty of it if Cork were beaten by Clare while most of the 08 panel were on the bench. Lads are trying to paint this as more player power when it is simply a case of teh manager picking the best players available to him. They may lose this weekend anyway but the reality is they'd definately lose if the 09 lads were played, the childish gloating that will occur here should Cork be beaten this Sunday will be interesting to observe.

realrebel

i agree with reillers that coleman should be given a chance after all it is the league where players should be given a go
but somehow i dont think cusack will be dropped from the team

INDIANA

At least O Sullivan was selected - at least they got that right. I suppose his prescence might ensure Humphries won't be reporting on the game. The great unwashed and all of that. Thought we might one/two more new faces. Still Cork have to beat Clare or their goose is cooked as regards div1.

theskull1

So not childish, unintelligent, unreasoned or idiotic then Zulu

I fully expect Cork to beat Clare btw. Reputations at stake.

orangeman

And I fully expect to see a huge travelling support for the team. I expect Cusack Park to be packed out given the huge turnouts in the streets of Cork during the protests. If there isn't 12k travelling Cork fans, perhaps there were a lot of shoppers out that Saturday and that it was rent a crowd ?  Surely they'll support the team at the earliest opportunty given that the future of Cork hurling is at stake ?

Quote from: theskull1 on March 20, 2009, 06:17:04 PM
So not childish, unintelligent, unreasoned or idiotic then Zulu

I fully expect Cork to beat Clare btw. Reputations at stake.

anglocelt39

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 20, 2009, 12:17:25 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 20, 2009, 12:16:40 PM
QuoteKeepers probably one of the most competitive places on the team.

Thats says it all about Cork hurling, the 2008 Prima donnas just walk back onto the team with little or no competition, while most of the 2009 panel have now been cast aside having given their all for the Cork cause over the last few months.

I hope every team that plays Cork this year in the hurling bates the shite out of them, though that's saying alot as there is an awful lot of shite to be bate out of the langers.

I second that KM.

Bloody Hell kerry mike you can add my name to that petition, ye gods. Think it would be relatively positive for GAA in general if the "recalled panel" takes one or two right floggings over the next week to reintroduce them to reality. Hopefully Kilkenny and Waterford are peaking nicely. The text polls to Reillers' beloved 10whatever will be interesting in the wake of such joyous developments.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Kerry Mike

Press release:

There is a band in Cork that go by the name Los Langerog's and after a few months off reflecting on their future music roles they are back this weekend with a new album, its called We are Cork, we are Great and we dont give a shit about you , after many months of behind closed doors training over the winter they are playing their first live gig in Ennis this weekend. Thankfully the long running dispute with their previous Manager has been resolved even though they have just a temporary manager in place, but even he can be blamed for a crap performance in Ennis. Unlike other international bands they have been placing all the blame on their manager, and not in their own ability to write good music and songs, for their lack of success in recent years.

This band have a large local following in Cork alledgely and have been known to play to spontanous crowds of 1000's of unsuspecting shoppers in Parnell Place and other lcations in their city to much acclain, but this has been disputed by some local sources recently. Their brand of music is unique and really not to the taste of anyone else in the country. The turnout in Ennis for this gig will tell alot about the type of person who likes this music and whether it has a future.

They have a drummer called Donal. By all accounts he is a good drummer and he bangs out a beat that is easy to follow by his band, but then the Gorrilla in the Cadburys ad beats out a good beat too. And though he says they are not his band everyone knows he is their spiritual leader. He is known for getting good sponsorship deals for the band and they get the best gigs around Cork and drive the best cars. He also gets free drum sticks to try out even if they are not the right specification and cause him to have conflict with other much more respected musicians. He sometimes wears funny looking contact lenses, but hey baby its rock and roll afterall.

They have a bass player too who is called Sean, and though only a bass player he likes to be seen more in the limelight, he knows though he will never be the lead guitarist. Though they would like to be neither of the two are the lead singer, they leave that to wonderful John Gaga, who they also call El Capatain.

The band security and enforcer is provide by a quite fellow called Rocky who does not say much in particular since recently his old fellow got a job working with the previous management company.

There are a few flutes and lots of hot air aassociated in the wind section of the band which somehow they think makes it gell together. And the harmony's and back vocals are just a mess with a group of about 30 relatively unknown fellows humming along to the same old boring hyme.

But like all bands they have their groupies who proclaim this band to be legends and the greatest ever, but for their infactuation they are unable to see the lack of quality in the music produced and which will see this band remaning just a local grouping who do the odd gig every year but never capable of a return to the good old days no matter if they got Paul McGuinness or Louis Walsh to manage them. But Louis has had some success with boy bands with little or no talent in the past so maybe he is a dark horse for the new manager.

Anyway enjoy the gig in Ennis for those who travel. For those who have not seen them in a while Los Langerog's will be the band performing while wearing red tights and tiara's

With apologies to the real band Los Langeros.......
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football