McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

It might have something to do with the fact that Considine is allready commited to the U21's and O Grady feels he's been out of the game too long and he and Frank hate eachother. That is why the likes of Justin McCarthy, Allen and O Grady etc. will not go near the job when the current cb are there.     

dowling

Ok reillers we'll take it there'll be clashes between some 'candidates' and the board, happens in all counties. What doesn't usually happen is there is such a player influence factor and surely that's now a real factor in Cork which 'candidates' will have to consider.

Reillers

Not really seeing as most of the people who they'll be looking at know the players and know that that's bullshit, that anyone who has spent 5 seconds with the players know they'll work their asses off for anyone and open to anything just to improve their game. They will give everything to the manager. They would have done the same for mccarthy as well had he been appointed the proper way, the cb could have saved themselves all that trouble if they did it the proper way, but thats not what the cb wanted.

dowling

Are you revising history there reillers. Surely there were two issues, one with the county board and the other with the panel not wanting Gerald.
I thought possible management was a reasonable area to continue with on this thread and I didn't expect you to portray the panel having a different view to Gerald than they really did and I didn't expect anyone to be able to focus on threats - remember where that came from first - but there you go

The 2008 panel are an all loving all embracing group of boys as are all the pro posters and the rest of us haven't a clue and are the biggest bastards to walk the earth.

At least the Examiner doesn't think it's straight forward.
Another shower of bastards probably.

Reillers

Dowling for the 100th time all me this started because of the in which he was reappointed. But I'm not getting into that again.

dowling

"The view within the county is that the Croke Park grouping won't find it easy to identify manager/coaches who would have the respect of the players — because several potential candidates are not interested in taking the job."

From the Examiner. Sure you saw it.

realrebel

reillers
i hear the only person who is willing to take on the job is teddy mac
imagine that ;D
i know paul o connor is up there but as far as i know teddy is the only one to say he wants the job

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on March 19, 2009, 05:23:16 PM
reillers
imagine that ;D
i know paul o connor is up there but as far as i know teddy is the only one to say he wants the job

Can you imagine if he was made manager.  ;D ;D........ :( :(

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 19, 2009, 05:33:03 PM
reillers
imagine that ;D

Aside from being 'a county board man' - what are the players problems with him?

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 19, 2009, 05:41:08 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 19, 2009, 05:33:03 PM
reillers
imagine that ;D

Aside from being 'a county board man' - what are the players problems with him?

I don't think words can describe how much he hates the players.

realrebel

well in fairness he doesnt like them and they dont like him
imagine it if he was made manager i personally think he would make a good manager because he takes no shit
but there are better out there will wait and see if they are willing to take the job on
personally i cant see many lining themselves up for the job

Kerry Mike

PRESS RELEASE

The GAA has confirmed that Denis Coughlan, John Fenton and Jimmy Barry Murphy will form a three-man committee that will make a recommendation to the Cork County Board for the position of Cork senior hurling manager.

Denis Coughlan will chair the group and they will meet with Ard Stiúrthóir Páraic Duffy over the weekend to begin the process.

The GAA will be making no further comment on this matter.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

orangeman

CORK summoning Croke Park to help them choose a new hurling team manager may be the sporting equivalent of the Government calling in the IMF to sort out the financial crisis but then these are strange times so nothing can ever be ruled out.

A Central Council group, led by GAA director-general Paraic Duffy, is currently in the process of putting together a committee who will be charged with finding a permanent replacement for Gerald McCarthy.

John Considine, the U-21 manager who has taken charge of the senior squad on an interim basis, is not interested in a full-time appointment, so the selection committee will be starting off with blank sheet.

First, of course, that committee must be chosen. It's more difficult than might appear as a number of potential choices can be ruled out. That probably includes former managers Donal O'Grady and John Allen, who would be regarded as too close to the current squad. Also, both men made various comments on the dispute which may debar them from being considered for the appointments' committee, assuming of course that they had any interest in the first place.

Others may also decide not to become involved after such a bitter dispute, which has left Cork with huge divisions. Croke Park will be very anxious to come up with names who are widely respected throughout the county while also having the necessary expertise to make the correct managerial appointment at what is one of the most sensitive times in the county's history.

The names of those chosen to begin the search for McCarthy's successor will be announced inside the next few days.

But to give Croke Park a helping hand, here are the names of the three wise men whom I believe should be asked to pick the new Cork hurling manager.

Jimmy Barry-Murphy

He's actually the perfect choice to become manager but has no interest in returning to a position he held in 1996-2000, during which he steered Cork to an All-Ireland title in 1999 with several of the current squad aboard.

One of most respected figures in sport -- both inside and outside Cork -- it's understood he was involved in behind-the-scenes moves to broker a settlement in the recent row but left when it became clear there was no solution which would placate all sides.

He will definitely be on Croke Park's target list. Question is -- will he agree to come on board?

John Fenton

Imokilly suggested that the manager be chosen by a committee drawn from the winning captains of Cork All-Ireland final teams of the last 25 years but it was overlooked in favour of the proposal to involve Croke Park.

However, in an ironic twist, the captain who led Cork to All-Ireland glory 25 years ago (the GAA's centenary year, 1984) was John Fenton, an iconic figure who won five successive All Star awards between 1983 and '87. The Midleton man certainly knows what it takes to win All-Ireland titles at club and county level.

Ray Cummins

Like Barry-Murphy, with whom he completed an All-Ireland hurling treble in 1976-78, Cummins was an exceptional dual player. At a troubled time like this, Cork need heroic figures to restore the values which made the county such an important part of the GAA down through the years.

Cummins, who was selected at full-forward on the Team of the Millennium, certainly fits that bill (as do Barry-Murphy and Fenton). Also, his dual experience exposed him to different managerial styles.

- Martin Breheny

slow corner back

I asked this question before and it may have been repilied to but I cannot be bothered wading thru 400 pages of sh1t to find a reply. If JBM etc pick a candidate is that it? Can the cork clubs reject the candidate or propose someone else themselves?

Kerry Mike

QuoteIf JBM etc pick a candidate is that it? Can the cork clubs reject the candidate or propose someone else themselves?

No I think its the county Board who will ratify the proposed candidate from the 3 man Croke Park hand picked committee, and I think the former players ie the striking players from 2008 and beyond will have no say in the matter.  Well you know them they will have to have some say  :P

This farce is still along way from being over.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football