McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 16, 2009, 06:18:24 PM
Both Zulu and Reillers have reluctantly conceded ( I think ) that the 2008 made a big mistake by not going which is fair enough. At least they've seen that even if it has taken a wee while to convince them.

Well I think they should have went but that's all great in hindsight, if they had went they probably have gotten attacked by ye as well and I'd be saying they shouldn't have went. I understand why they didn't go. It was meant for no offence either way, damned if they did, damned if they didn't.
Can ye not leave it at that and stop bringing someones death into the mix of it just to attack the players with. It's not right.

Bud Wiser

The figures for the National Lottery are interesting if you get into it.  The Euro Millions is the same and the rules state the amount that the company who runs it gets, how much goes to prizemoney, how much the seller (shop) gets and how much is put back into the winners fund.  The Euro  Millions raises even more questions in that from the collective income (entries) the head honcho's put back so much into each countries national fund that includes the traditional national lottery fund.

Lost?  can't say I blame you, but try this. We pay 2 euro an entry and because of the exchange rates when it started the Brits pay one pound fifty for Euro Millions. Still, even though they get the same pro-rata cut of the total profits for one pound fifty sterling that we pay 2 euro for.  Not alone that, orangeman, Reillers or me or anyone else can determine if the correct amount is being given to GAA throughout all of Ireland and because the GAA is part of our heritage the players should be elligible for Sports Grants to the same level as they had been by the Government.  The fact that the government admitted they were entitled to it in the first place means that the Lotto should be held over a barrell.  This is what Sweeney should be advocating instead of saying their is a requirement for the GPA, a professional appointment in the GAA HQ of someone with accountancy qualifications that is fully in tune with euro grant application procedure. 

( I see O'Rourke also said as we did on another thread during the week that the Cork '08 squad might get Max Clifford to manage them)

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Reillers

Seanie McGrath and Jerry Wallis were asked to stay on by Considine, what do ye think of that?

Imo I think it was an excellent move by him seeing as they were just as important to Allen and O Grady's teams as the managers were themselves.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 16, 2009, 06:32:41 PM
Both Zulu and Reillers have reluctantly conceded ( I think ) that the 2008 made a big mistake by not going which is fair enough. At least they've seen that even if it has taken a wee while to convince them.

Well I think they should have went but that's all great in hindsight, if they had went they probably have gotten attacked by ye as well and I'd be saying they shouldn't have went. I understand why they didn't go. It was meant for no offence either way, damned if they did, damned if they didn't.
Can ye not leave it at that and stop bringing someones death into the mix of it just to attack the players with. It's not right.

It wasn't right at all.

You my tell Shannon that or whoever it was that pumped him about the mass card, conference call, etc - or maybe he's just psychic.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 16, 2009, 06:43:21 PM
Seanie McGrath and Jerry Wallis were asked to stay on by Considine, what do ye think of that?

Imo I think it was an excellent move by him seeing as they were just as important to Allen and O Grady's teams as the managers were themselves.

Good move alright - this could become a permanent move ( as in the rest of the year ).

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 16, 2009, 06:54:37 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 16, 2009, 06:43:21 PM

Good move alright - this could become a permanent move ( as in the rest of the year ).

No he said he wont be there permantley, he said to put it in big bold letters, that he was only staying there to keep things ticking over. I presume he'll go back to the magical underage system with the U21s.
The two lads are two fantastic trainers though, great trust between the whole lot, I think it was a very smart me, could well be the unifying factor in all of this.
A good move, I admit that I wasn't that too over the moon that he got appointed seeing as he had got it against O Grady and there's no need to say how good a coach he is, but if he keeps making decisions like this then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Zulu

At least you're consistent in your complete inability to understand any post that, well I was going to say that isn't your own, but you've shown you don't understand your own post a few times as well. Yoiu're banging on about this funeral in some vain attempt to point score of the 08 panel, which reflects very poorly on you. To use this issue as you're trying to do shows you to be at least as insensitive to Gerald's loss as the players decision was to stay away. At least the players had a reason to avoid teh funeral, whether you agree with it or not but for you to try and use it as a stick to beat the players from your lofty position on the moral high ground is both patethic and sad.

dowling

Quote from: Zulu on March 16, 2009, 02:53:03 PM
QuoteI've been trying to keep from anything personal in this and offered an apology in case a certain post came across differently but yourself and reillers always seem to revert to type.

Your put upon victim routine has long since got tiresome, you can get an insult from almost any post so I'm not going to concern myself with your sensibilities any longer, if you want to feel insulted fire away.

I tried to debate rationally with you. I'm not a victim, as I've constantly said your petty posts reflect on you not me. You can't give a logical explanation for the panel's absence, just churn out what a journalist said the panel said as justification and in your frustration and inability to offer something original have a pop at me. Says a lot about you not me.

As for Shannon his track record is one that is pro-active in favour of the 2008 panel. If his information came from any source other than the 2008 panel he would most likely have hinted at that source. It isn't unreasonable to think this was a pr exercise on behalf of that panel and by his focus on Cosidine an attempt to keep OGrady in the spotlight.

Maybe like me he fundamentally agrees with the players and he is expressing that opinion. If journalists are writing an opinion piece themn that is what it should be, not a balanced over all view of the situation.

No maybe about it of course he agrees with the 2008 panel. I never said it should have been a balanced view. It's precisely because it's not a balanced view I was questioning that it shouldn't be taken at face value which you are doing. The thing is Donal og couldn't have written it better himself!

QuoteNo I don't think you'll change your opinion but I do believe you feel very awkward about the wake and funeral. But as I said if you do acknowledge that you might have to change your opinion because if it is proven that the panel's leaders sought players not to go what would that say about their integrity?

I'm not uneasy about it at all, i don't agree with everything the players do or say and I've never personally really liked this particular team but i admire them and I think they are 100% right in this situation. For me the funeral issue is just another unfortunate chapter in the whole saga buy I have no illusions about the players, I don't see them as hero's but I view the actions of teh CCB as whole unreasonable and completely at odds with their role and that is why i support the players.

It's not just another unfortunate chapter, the integrity of the panel's leaders would be brought into question if the claims over the funeral are proven. But we all know the 'strangeness' of the chapter anyway. And just because you've a particular view of the CB it shouldn't show the panel in a better light.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on March 16, 2009, 07:17:47 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 16, 2009, 02:53:03 PM
QuoteI've been trying to keep from anything personal in this and offered an apology in case a certain post came across differently but yourself and reillers always seem to revert to type.

Your put upon victim routine has long since got tiresome, you can get an insult from almost any post so I'm not going to concern myself with your sensibilities any longer, if you want to feel insulted fire away.

I tried to debate rationally with you. I'm not a victim, as I've constantly said your petty posts reflect on you not me. You can't give a logical explanation for the panel's absence, just churn out what a journalist said the panel said as justification and in your frustration and inability to offer something original have a pop at me. Says a lot about you not me.

As for Shannon his track record is one that is pro-active in favour of the 2008 panel. If his information came from any source other than the 2008 panel he would most likely have hinted at that source. It isn't unreasonable to think this was a pr exercise on behalf of that panel and by his focus on Cosidine an attempt to keep OGrady in the spotlight.

Maybe like me he fundamentally agrees with the players and he is expressing that opinion. If journalists are writing an opinion piece themn that is what it should be, not a balanced over all view of the situation.

No maybe about it of course he agrees with the 2008 panel. I never said it should have been a balanced view. It's precisely because it's not a balanced view I was questioning that it shouldn't be taken at face value which you are doing. The thing is Donal og couldn't have written it better himself!

QuoteNo I don't think you'll change your opinion but I do believe you feel very awkward about the wake and funeral. But as I said if you do acknowledge that you might have to change your opinion because if it is proven that the panel's leaders sought players not to go what would that say about their integrity?

I'm not uneasy about it at all, i don't agree with everything the players do or say and I've never personally really liked this particular team but i admire them and I think they are 100% right in this situation. For me the funeral issue is just another unfortunate chapter in the whole saga buy I have no illusions about the players, I don't see them as hero's but I view the actions of teh CCB as whole unreasonable and completely at odds with their role and that is why i support the players.

It's not just another unfortunate chapter, the integrity of the panel's leaders would be brought into question if the claims over the funeral are proven. But we all know the 'strangeness' of the chapter anyway. And just because you've a particular view of the CB it shouldn't show the panel in a better light.

Nice form Dowling, keep going on about the funeral, keep using someones death to try and get one up in an arguement, shows all your class. You and OM, very alike.

Zulu

QuoteI tried to debate rationally with you. I'm not a victim, as I've constantly said your petty posts reflect on you not me. You can't give a logical explanation for the panel's absence, just churn out what a journalist said the panel said as justification and in your frustration and inability to offer something original have a pop at me. Says a lot about you not me.

Show me 'petty' post I've directed at you and not some melodramatic overreation to a harmless post. What do you mean I can't give a logical reason for the players absence, Shannon's article does and I accept that reason, you may not but that doesn't make it illogical unless of course you think logic is the sole preserve of you. Then you claim I can't offer something original, by that I suppose you mean i should make up a reason why I think they didn't go and then we can debate the merits of your and my speculated reasons for their actions, the image of two bald men fighting over a comb comes to mind.

QuoteNo maybe about it of course he agrees with the 2008 panel. I never said it should have been a balanced view. It's precisely because it's not a balanced view I was questioning that it shouldn't be taken at face value which you are doing. The thing is Donal og couldn't have written it better himself!

So because it's favourable to the players it should be questioned?  

QuoteIt's not just another unfortunate chapter, the integrity of the panel's leaders would be brought into question if the claims over the funeral are proven. But we all know the 'strangeness' of the chapter anyway. And just because you've a particular view of the CB it shouldn't show the panel in a better light.

No they wouldn't, you question the integrity of the panel leaders on a consistant basis so this is just another hobby horse for you to climb on. There reason for not going has been stated, you don't accept it, fair enouigh but we get it, time for you to move on

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on March 16, 2009, 07:02:47 PM

At least you're consistent in your complete inability to understand any post that, well I was going to say that isn't your own, but you've shown you don't understand your own post a few times as well. Yoiu're banging on about this funeral in some vain attempt to point score of the 08 panel, which reflects very poorly on you. To use this issue as you're trying to do shows you to be at least as insensitive to Gerald's loss as the players decision was to stay away. At least the players had a reason to avoid teh funeral, whether you agree with it or not but for you to try and use it as a stick to beat the players from your lofty position on the moral high ground is both patethic and sad.

Had they now ??? That's news to me. Can you tell us what it was ? Your defence of the players in a situation where normally all arguments are set aside is baffling but hardly surprising given your attempts at defending the indefensible.

Dwoling asked a few days ago is it the norm in Irish society for a panel of players to deliberately avoid the manager's mother's funeral - you refused to answer the question - no it's not the norm - nor will it ever be the norm apart from when these lads who Colm O'Rourke so eloquently and accurately described in his piece yesterday are involved.

Reillers

Classy OM, classy.
You answer me this OM is it the norm in Irish society for someone to use someones death with no regret or apology as an insult and something to attack people over and to use someones death to throw mud.

You continue to use someones death to try and get an upper foot in an arguement, is that the norm.

You say the players have no respect, but what the hell do you think you're doing. How the hell do you defend yourself by using someones death to get an upper hand in an arguement, you say they're bad, that they've no respect, well you're no better. Some would say worse, they didn't go out to insult any one, you on the other hand do.

Reillers

Motion 1 was passed for the deciding of a manager.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 16, 2009, 11:15:54 PM
Classy OM, classy.
You answer me this OM is it the norm in Irish society for someone to use someones death with no regret or apology as an insult and something to attack people over and to use someones death to throw mud.

You continue to use someones death to try and get an upper foot in an arguement, is that the norm.

You say the players have no respect, but what the hell do you think you're doing. How the hell do you defend yourself by using someones death to get an upper hand in an arguement, you say they're bad, that they've no respect, well you're no better. Some would say worse, they didn't go out to insult any one, you on the other hand do.

You'd better ask the spokesperson for the players, Shannnon,  who took time out to describe the conference call ( what a joke that was ) and the vote to send a mass card instead of going. Last time they only had a few of the panel present, it was decided that they could do nothing without eveyone having a say - so on some mundane issues like going to Gerald's mother's funeral, it was ok just to take a vote with a few present. Double standards pervade this issue - it's ok for Shannon to write about this story and spin it to suit and make it look like the 2008 were justified in not going to the funeral but it's not alright for me to talk about and tell it the way Shannon hasn't. 

With regard to the crticism of the players as an arrogant and self indulgent group who think only of themselves who don't have the future interest of Cork hurling at heart, again you'd best refer to Colm O'Rourke for an explanation.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 16, 2009, 11:37:38 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 16, 2009, 11:15:54 PM
Classy OM, classy.

You'd better ask the spokesperson for the players, Shannnon,  who took time out to describe the conference call ( what a joke that was ) and the vote to send a mass card instead of going. Last time they only had a few of the panel present, it was decided that they could do nothing without eveyone having a say - so on some mundane issues like going to Gerald's mother's funeral, it was ok just to take a vote with a few present. Double standards pervade this issue - it's ok for Shannon to write about this story and spin it to suit and make it look like the 2008 were justified in not going to the funeral but it's not alright for me to talk about and tell it the way Shannon hasn't. 

With regard to the crticism of the players as an arrogant and self indulgent group who think only of themselves who don't have the future interest of Cork hurling at heart, again you'd best refer to Colm O'Rourke for an explanation.

And you continue to talk about it and use someones death as to gain some sort of high ground, showing no respect at all. You've made your point (and the type of person you are) very clear at this stage, can you not drop it now.