McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/rebels-ring-in-new-regime-1673474.html

All right lads, what about this lads disgraceful bias? I presume you think the same about him as you do about Shannon right?

For me he lost any credibility he had as a journalist.
He made no attempt to remain objective and it read like a press release for the Cb and Gerald.

Just a disgrace, right? Same rules apply yes?

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 16, 2009, 03:37:53 PM
Om you're a joke.
You wont even admit to doing it. The players haven't said one word about the funeral, not one word. McCarthy brought it up, Shannon let his opinion be none, but ye, ye are the ones, you, Dowling..etc ye keep harping on about the funeral trying to get digs in, trying to make the players look bad. And you wont even admit to it.

Who told Shannon about the "conference call" ? The free vote ? The mass card ?

Shannon must have a few spies in the 2008 panel who constantly feed him lies.

It's not hard to make the 2008 panel look bad - you don't even have to try - they do it for themselves and then the journalists cap it off with their own spin on it.

Why did Shannon feel compelled to talk about the funeral and then move swiftly on to Considine ??

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 16, 2009, 03:39:53 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/rebels-ring-in-new-regime-1673474.html

All right lads, what about this lads disgraceful bias? I presume you think the same about him as you do about Shannon right?

He made no attempt to remain objective and it read like a press release for the Cb and Gerald.

Can you tell me who wrote this piece ?

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on March 16, 2009, 03:47:53 PM

IIRC it's Eamonn Sweeney - a guy not prone to hyperbole.

He wrote a piece a year or two ago about how uncooperative Pillar was to the media and wondered how Pillar would feel if people he (Pillar) interviewed in the course of his work as a guard were as unresponsive to the guards as he was to the GAA media..

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on March 16, 2009, 03:50:36 PM

He wrote a piece a year or two ago about how uncooperative Pillar was to the media and wondered how Pillar would feel if people he (Pillar) interviewed in the course of his work as a guard were as unresponsive to the guards as he was to the GAA media..

A pure disgrace Reillers - a pure disgrace - imagine calling the perpeatrator Mossie Langer !

Absolute and total disgrace. Same rules apply.

Reillers

But he made no attempt to be objective,  he lost any credibility he had as a journalist because of that, right? It was a digrace was it not?

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 16, 2009, 03:53:17 PM

But he made no attempt to be objective,  he lost any credibility he had as a journalist because of that, right? It was a digrace was it not?

Pure disgrace. Total disgrace. Shameful.

heffo

The difference imo is the Sweeney's back page opinion piece is a pure opinion piece with a farcical tone - he's not printing opinion as fact

I wouldn't particularly rate the guy as a GAA journalist though I did agree with most of the article

If you want an objective take on the situation have a look at Colm O'Rourkes article from yesterday's Indo

cornafean

Quote from: heffo on March 16, 2009, 04:00:47 PM

The difference imo is the Sweeney's back page opinion piece is a pure opinion piece with a farcical tone - he's not printing opinion as fact

I wouldn't particularly rate the guy as a GAA journalist though I did agree with most of the article

If you want an objective take on the situation have a look at Colm O'Rourkes article from yesterday's Indo

Indeed. In fairness to the Sindo, Sweeney's opinion column appears on the same page each week as Tommy Conlon's "The Couch". Tommy is a very strong advocate of the GPA and the pay-for-play cause, and on these issues his views are diametrically opposed to those of Sweeney. Only an idiot could suggest that these columns are anything other than opinion pieces.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

orangeman

Just read Damian Lawlor's piece in the Indo yesterday and it seems that Mc Carthy wasn't the only one to receive threats. In the piece Lawlor spoke to Tony Connolly who played right half back on the 1966 AI winning team. He is a delegate who was totally opposed to the stance taken by the players. In the piece by Lawlor Connolly describes how he had witnessed seing Gerald's daughter crying in their shop after "another" threat had been made to Gerald's family. He says : " I have been a staunch critic of these men ( the 2008 panel ) and I got a poison pen letter myself because of my stand. "

And somebody suggested, that there is nothing more to say, just move on ???

By the way, Tommy Conlon has been writing in support of the 2008 panel and the GPA for a long time and some rubbish it is too. He must have been on holiday this week.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 16, 2009, 04:00:47 PM

Oh of course there's a difference, of course there's an excuse.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 16, 2009, 04:20:52 PM
Just read Damian Lawlor's piece in the Indo yesterday and it seems that Mc Carthy wasn't the only one to receive threats. In the piece Lawlor spoke to Tony Connolly who played right half back on the 1966 AI winning team. He is a delegate who was totally opposed to the stance taken by the players. In the piece by Lawlor Connolly describes how he had witnessed seing Gerald's daughter crying in their shop after "another" threat had been made to Gerald's family. He says : " I have been a staunch critic of these men ( the 2008 panel ) and I got a poison pen letter myself because of my stand. "

And somebody suggested, that there is nothing more to say, just move on ???

By the way, Tommy Conlon has been writing in support of the 2008 panel and the GPA for a long time and some rubbish it is too. He must have been on holiday this week.

Which has been said all ready.
The players didn't say it, no one on here did either I pressume.
The players also got very hateful abusive letters and phonecalls. But nothing has been said about that or damned as disgraceful by ye nor has it been flaunted in the press or used by some journos as a sympathy vote.
Why can't we move on. It's been hashed over here 100 times. Hasn't everything that was said been said.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: passedit on March 16, 2009, 03:18:12 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 16, 2009, 02:53:03 PM
OM will you give over, I've long suspected that your sole reason for posting on this issue is simply to keep it going rather than offer anything constructive. The only people who have had to change their tune are anti-player posters, from not allowing the grasssroots have their say, through to mob rule and now their no show at the funeral or the fact they'll play for FM, when he is the real problem. You've entirely abandond your argument from the first 200 odd pages and are now latching on to anything to keep posting on this issue.

I'm dissappointed in you zulu, do actually think that OM ever had a coherent argument?

As for the funeral, it is obvious that the players were right in their assessment that they were damned either way. Personally, I find it distasteful that anyone would use someone's death to score cheap digs in what is at end of the day a sporting dispute.

I think it was a fair point though, IMO I don't think they would be damned if they did go, infact if they did I would have had more respect for them, especially that they made the effort to go to the funeral despite of the differences between the players and manager.  I'm certainly not anti Cork in anyway, in fact I have great respect for the county but in this instance I feel the players are in the wrong.

As for the articles in the papers lads, on either side, you should take them with a pinch of salt, as most of the papers aren't worth reading anyway!

Zulu

QuoteZulu - you've long suspected that the 2008 panel were out to be the savious of Cork hurling and that their sole intention was to get FM out - you were wrong there as well.

No I haven't, in fact I've said all along that the players could play with Frank in place but not with Gerald as coach. Do you read people's posts or do you just lack the ability to follow them? You're a WUM right?

QuoteShannon is the Sports Editor of his paper, not an opinion columnist. If he wants to preface all his output with the word "Opinion", fine by me, but his obvious bias does no favours for either him or his paper

Was he writing as the editor and even if he was does that mean he has to give a 'balanced' view? He is writing it as he sees it and if he sees it largely from the point of view of one side so what? Other journalists have written condemning the players but pro-player posters don't feel it to be anythiing other than a journalist giving his opinion.

QuoteAnd somebody suggested, that there is nothing more to say, just move on

And what is to be said? Nobody thinks these threats are acceptable but a few lunatics spewing bile at Gerald or county delegates isn't the players fault, they can't be held responsible for other people's actions.

Reillers

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 16, 2009, 04:26:57 PM
Quote from: passedit on March 16, 2009, 03:18:12 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 16, 2009, 02:53:03 PM
OM will you give over, I've long suspected that your sole reason for posting on this issue is simply to keep it going rather than offer anything constructive. The only people who have had to change their tune are anti-player posters, from not allowing the grasssroots have their say, through to mob rule and now their no show at the funeral or the fact they'll play for FM, when he is the real problem. You've entirely abandond your argument from the first 200 odd pages and are now latching on to anything to keep posting on this issue.

I'm dissappointed in you zulu, do actually think that OM ever had a coherent argument?

As for the funeral, it is obvious that the players were right in their assessment that they were damned either way. Personally, I find it distasteful that anyone would use someone's death to score cheap digs in what is at end of the day a sporting dispute.

I think it was a fair point though, IMO I don't think they would be damned if they did go, infact if they did I would have had more respect for them, especially that they made the effort to go to the funeral despite of the differences between the players and manager.  I'm certainly not anti Cork in anyway, in fact I have great respect for the county but in this instance I feel the players are in the wrong.

As for the articles in the papers lads, on either side, you should take them with a pinch of salt, as most of the papers aren't worth reading anyway!

Look, it could have been seen either way, in hindsight I think they should have went, but if they had gone it could have easily backflipped, people wondering who the hell do they think they are showing up here and such, McCarthy could have felt very much like that, sure didn't he tell them no to send the Mass card, it could have went either way and I'm pretty sure that if they had went they would have gotten as much grief, and I'm 99.9% sure for some on here, (Om, Dowling, Skul..etc) that they would be going on about how much of a disgrace they are on here if they had went. They just love having something to bitch about.
Like I said they refuse to talk about anything positive to do with the players. They just wont.