McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: Reillers on March 15, 2009, 01:22:50 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 15, 2009, 12:37:01 AM
Well I didn't join this thread to discuss the post Ger McCarthy starting 15. I suggest you start a new thread.

No just to bitch and whinge about the hurlers. The genuine ones seperated from the real ones at this stage and ye are really consistantly putting down a marker to who ye are.

Your over simplification of the reasons why so many hold the opinions that they have, has IMO lost you any credibility on this thread. Is that the only way you can store opposing arguments in your head (i.e. to over simplify them)? If so then it's easy to see why have taken very little on board because in your mind in is simply black and white.

If you want to discuss the Cork 15 going forward...start a new thread.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

dowling

The thing is skull if Reillers wants to discuss the best 15 why bring OGrady into it, who at the moment isn't even in the equation. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2008 panel make a similar reference in time.

Bud Wiser

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

zoyler

Three points-

Spoke to a Cork lady from a small rural club during the week.  She said that her club voted almost unanimously for the players ahead of GMcC because they saw it as the only way to end the dispute but that it ewas with a heavy heart and that there are not words to discribe the low opinion there now is of the players.  Don't know how general a view this is'

Interesting comment in the Indo today from Tony Connolly who played in 1966 to the effect that he has lost all respect for the players, that it will still be havin effects in twenty years and that the game will go prpfessional.

The Information that GPA's media manager was available to warn the news media about publishing GMcCs original statement which named two players as organising the non attendance at the funeral even though the 2008 panel are not GPA members. (oh ye right)

agorm

Quote from: zoyler on March 15, 2009, 04:35:48 PM
The Information that GPA's media manager was available to warn the news media about publishing GMcCs original statement which named two players as organising the non attendance at the funeral even though the 2008 panel are not GPA members. (oh ye right)

I have not keep fully up to date on the details of this story and my personal opinion is that McCarthy left it way way to late to step aside, Howevr this does not excuse in any way a boycott of his mother's funeral. The players should have been big enough to attend it or at least make the appropriate contact in advance of the funeral and allow a few representatives to attend.

Was there a boycott of the funeral? If so, what evidence is there of an organised boycott or is it just hearsay?

Malone Aristocrat

I'd like to know if there's any evidence of this boycott as well

orangeman

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on March 15, 2009, 07:48:25 PM

Do you think it was a coincidence that none of the 2008 panel turned up to the funeral ??

Reillers

Absolutely none. Pure assumptions and accusations.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 15, 2009, 08:27:17 PM

Absolutely none. Pure assumptions and accusations.

Do you think it was a coincidence then ??

Reillers

orangeman

This clears up nothing  - in fact it makes the thing a whole lot worse !

The 2008 panel had a conference call amongst 10 of them and they decide to let everyone decide for themselves and nobody turns up and they don'd send the mass card that they had voted to send ???? That's a joke !

In his statement McCarthy referred to "the apparent advice" that players should not attend his mother's funeral, a "lack of human warmth" which "devastated" his family, though they were grateful to the five members of the panel that "ignored" that "advice". But the reality is that those five players – Joe Deane, Ronan Curran, Kieran 'Fraggy' Murphy, Brian Murphy and Cian O'Connor – didn't ignore any advice or team protocol because no instruction to boycott the funeral was issued.

The morning after the Cork 2009 panel had lost to Tipperary in Thurles, the 2008 panel awoke to the news Gerald McCarthy's mother had passed away. Their 10 player reps organised a conference call at which it was quickly agreed their meeting with the clubs scheduled for that night should be cancelled out of respect. The matter of whether to go to the funeral en masse took considerably longer. They were damned if they went and damned if they didn't; it was a matter of which would cause least offence. The general consensus was that if they all went, it could come across as inflammatory, insincere and insensitive, transforming the event into a point-scoring circus; whatever about how Gerald himself would perceive it – and he'd viewed 10 players meeting him in the Imperial Hotel hours before his reappointment as intimidatory – the presence of 30 of them could upset and distract other attendees. And so it was decided – they wouldn't be going as a group but as individuals they were free to go while the group would send a mass card. As it turned out that card was never sent. When McCarthy raised in the Cork Airport negotiations with Croke Park the players' attendance rate at the funeral, Paraic Duffy called John Gardiner and Donal Óg Cusack in to explain their rationale to McCarthy. The players duly did but when they made mention of the mass card McCarthy told them not to bother sending it.

Reillers

Should clear it up. You reallly look for anything to criticize and bitch about don't you. It makes it clear that they didn't boycott it. One minute that's the worst thing, the next it's not..etc. Give in ffs.

You most have missed this bit OM.
"The players duly did but when they made mention of the mass card McCarthy told them not to bother sending it."

Zulu

QuoteThe 2008 panel had a conference call amongst 10 of them and they decide to let everyone decide for themselves and nobody turns up

Jesus help me, 5 of them turned up and there was no boycott, some of ye are bit like the CB and just can't let it go.

orangeman

Ok then Zulu, do you think it was a coincidence that they didn't turn up at the funeral, not even ONE of them, given that a conference call amongst 10 of the 30 had a conference call on the Sunday decided that they wouldn't go as a gropu but instead "voted" that they would send a mass card ??.

This issue shows how pathetic and out of touch the 2008 panel were in the midst of this dispute and how much they had lost touch with reality.

On this issue amogst others, the 2008 panel really let themselves down.