McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Just wondering, out of curiousity, seeing as ye all claim to be genuine fans and not just on here to whinge, if ye were Considine what would your best starting 15 be?
Genuinely, biterness aside, who is his best 15? We've discussed everything and anyone on this topic, it's about time we started talking about the game imo.

I want to see change myself in the back, goals, mid and up front I'd say. Just a few changes because the core of the Cork team imo is still pretty young and sound.

INDIANA

1- Anthony Nash
2- Shane O neill
3- Sean Og ( played there at minor)
4- Conor O Sullivan
5- John Gardiner
6- Ronan Curran (only due to lack of options)
7-  Tom Kenny
8- Barry Johnson
9- Jerry O Connor
10- Ben O Connor
11- Timmy Mc Carthy
12- Cathal Naughton
13- Paudie O Sullivan (on underage form only)
14- Pat Cronin
15- Pat Horgan (  a real talent)

AZOffaly

Would you play Sean Og in there Indiana? I thought Gardiner did alright in there against Galway last year. He stopped the bleeding that Joe Canning was causing.

Reillers

I'd probably have Coleman in goals instead of Nash. I think Cork have such a massive choice of keepers, one of the strongest pools to choose from imo.
Shane O Neill is without a doubt one of the best defenders in the country, had a blinder there with UCC in the final.
But Wayne Sherlock is still an amazing talent, deserves a written letter of an apology, treated disgracefully, one of the best defenders in the county and I wish he had never walked away from the IC scene but I don't blame him for it either.

Coleman
S O Neill
Gardiner
Brian Murphy/Sherlock
Eoin Cadogan
Curran
Sean Og
C Naughton/Tom Kenny (play both just maybe not this position)
J O Conner
Ben O Connor
B Johnson/ Corry
Pa Cronin/Cathal Naughton
Sully Og, (Pebble lol)
Fraggie Murphy/Neil Ronan/Deane
Hoggie

I'll probably change that a few 100 times before I come up with my top 15 and I wouldn't end up play a handfull of them in the positions I have them in either. Thinking of the top 15 at the minute, not really where I'd play them.

INDIANA

Gardiner was cleaned out by canning I was at the game. Mind you Canning would clean out most people but Gardiner hasn't the positional nous for full back. He's still very at half back. Corks problems are all up front. They've great corner backs- good half back line, great midfield but a lack of proven firepower since Deane and Corcoran have stepped back. Only O Connor is consistent- Naughton has shown flashes of class but the likes of Pat Cronin and Pat Horgan have to step up to the plate if Cork are to beat the likes of Tipp.
They aren't  good enough to beat the Cats- but nobody is.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on March 14, 2009, 04:52:23 PM
Gardiner was cleaned out by canning I was at the game. Mind you Canning would clean out most people but Gardiner hasn't the positional nous for full back. He's still very at half back. Corks problems are all up front. They've great corner backs- good half back line, great midfield but a lack of proven firepower since Deane and Corcoran have stepped back. Only O Connor is consistent- Naughton has shown flashes of class but the likes of Pat Cronin and Pat Horgan have to step up to the plate if Cork are to beat the likes of Tipp.

Gaa did very well for someone thrown into the position. He wasn't cleaned out at all. Canning is just..well Canning.

We don't and haven't had an out and out goalscoring forward since Santy left and Corcoran as well.
Naughton has so much potential and I was looking forward to seeing if Donal O Grady could get the best out of the young players like Hoggie, Sully Og, Cronin, but that's irrelevant now.
Hopefully Considine will be able to do the same.

INDIANA

O Grady isn't the only coach in Ireland. And considine will only be there for a couple of matches if he has any sense.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on March 14, 2009, 03:15:25 PM
Just wondering, out of curiousity, seeing as ye all claim to be genuine fans and not just on here to whinge, if ye were Considine what would your best starting 15 be?
Genuinely, biterness aside, who is his best 15
? We've discussed everything and anyone on this topic, it's about time we started talking about the game imo.

I want to see change myself in the back, goals, mid and up front I'd say. Just a few changes because the core of the Cork team imo is still pretty young and sound.

Bit sceptical when I initally saw this and then thought perhaps it is trying to take the heat out of the debate and while I hadn't time to post earlier I thought well maybe later. Best 15 Cork players? Deserves a thread on its own but in keeping with the tone I believed the post to be in I thought I'd consider the proposition and come back to it later.

And what do I find? 2008 panel gaa speak.

Quote from: Reillers on March 14, 2009, 05:01:31 PM

Gaa did very well for someone thrown into the position. He wasn't cleaned out at all. Canning is just..well Canning.

We don't and haven't had an out and out goalscoring forward since Santy left and Corcoran as well.
Naughton has so much potential and I was looking forward to seeing if Donal O Grady could get the best out of the young players like Hoggie, Sully Og, Cronin, but that's irrelevant now.

The topic had moved on to managers.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on March 14, 2009, 10:34:49 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 14, 2009, 03:15:25 PM
Genuinely, biterness aside, who is his best 15
? We've discussed everything and anyone on this topic, it's about time we started talking about the game imo.

Bit sceptical when I initally saw this and then thought perhaps it is trying to take the heat out of the debate and while I hadn't time to post earlier I thought well maybe later. Best 15 Cork players? Deserves a thread on its own but in keeping with the tone I believed the post to be in I thought I'd consider the proposition and come back to it later.

And what do I find? 2008 panel gaa speak.

Quote from: Reillers on March 14, 2009, 05:01:31 PM

The topic had moved on to managers.

Why be sceptical, it's not a trick question. It's not rocket science Dowling. Name the 15 that's all you have to do.
Everything and anything has been discussed on here, most of it has been bitching and thrashing and moaning, and attacking other posters, everything and anything has been talked back to front and upside down, and everything has been debated over and over again, you'll do all that but you wont discuss the actual game, you want to bitch instead.
But hey, at least it was made clear what kind of poster you are.

theskull1

Well I didn't join this thread to discuss the post Ger McCarthy starting 15. I suggest you start a new thread.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Will O'Grady let his name go forward now that it is clear he is wanted only by the 2008, and will he allow himself to be interviewed for the job ?

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on March 15, 2009, 12:37:01 AM
Well I didn't join this thread to discuss the post Ger McCarthy starting 15. I suggest you start a new thread.

No just to bitch and whinge about the hurlers. The genuine ones seperated from the real ones at this stage and ye are really consistantly putting down a marker to who ye are.
We've discussed everything on this topic, everything has been debated inside out, back to front, irrelevant things at times have been talked about till the cows come home and you've no problem doing that, but when it comes to that actual game you wont discuss it here.

Like I said it's clear some came here to bitch and to whinge and ye are making it perfectly clear who ye are.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 15, 2009, 12:39:08 AM
Will O'Grady let his name go forward now that it is clear he is wanted only by the 2008, and will he allow himself to be interviewed for the job ?

No I don't tihink he was interested in it on a full time basis I think he just wanted it on the temporary 2 or 3 games basis. Fair play to him for offering though.

Bud Wiser

QuoteLike I said it's clear some came here to bitch and to whinge and ye are making it perfectly clear who ye are.

Reillers, two things. First. If you read back through all the posts that have been made you will soon discover who has been the biggest bitcher and whinger on this thread - ie, you.  That is without doubt.  Outside of whinging,  your constant bolloxing on about who you know and what you know - compared to everyone else, is the only other attribute you have given this thread.  I don't know where you get the time but if you think that some of us have the time to be sitting at a computer all day waiting to reply to your gibberish you must know some of us have to work - we can't all go on strike.

Second, like a lot of other posters I am on this board over ten years or more. When I came on I respected the rules as best I could unless starting a thread by mistake.  You come on here and have the arrogance, let me say, a Cork type arrogance, to instruct the board that you now want to change the thread after all this time from the original topic about Gerald McCarthy to one about where you want us to pick the Cork team !!!!  Will the Cork 2008 panel not be doing that anyway.? Along with which manager they will get in the end?

I would not have a clue about picking the Cork team, I could not care less about the Cork team or anything to do with Cork. If you want to pick a Cork team go and pick one on another thread and at least have the manners to do that instead of trying to dictate what topic the thread should be changed to.  It is an accepted fact, as reported on RTE on several occasions and at least twice yesterday that the Gerald McCarthy/Cork Gaa episode will have long lasting fallout for many years to come and will divide Cork GAA for quite a long time.  The only thing that concerns GAA fans now is to know if the plague ye have created will spread to other counties. For now, it appears it has not spread and all other counties have managers who pick their county teams.  Cork should do the same then you would not have to come on here and suggest,  because nobody wants to engage in your off topic diversioon, that we only come on to whinge.  

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on March 15, 2009, 01:24:23 AM
Quote from: orangeman on March 15, 2009, 12:39:08 AM

No I don't tihink he was interested in it on a full time basis I think he just wanted it on the temporary 2 or 3 games basis. Fair play to him for offering though.

You raise an interesting point Reillers. How did his name come to be in the hat exactly?
When he spoke on the radio previous to the meeting he quite clearly was trying to put Jimmy Barry up for the job.
So did he really offer or was he approached by the 2008 panel or county officers?
I'd be curious to know the exact details.