McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Really OM read the whole post, you constantly pick bits and pieces, a word or two from one line, another two or three words from another line and then you try to form a conclusion from that.
I said Considine had made a hash of the U21s and his record there is poor, but I also said that he's a reasonable reputation as a coach.
The only reason we know that he wasn't the first choice was because the CB said it.
And you really have to ask after all this time why he was appointed by the CB.

You've got Considine, a good enough manager, or you've got Donal O Grady, an oustantding manager, but wasn't appointed purely because he came out in support of the palyers in the past few months, because of the things he said about the CB..the truth basically.

So, it's made clear that Considine wasn't picked because of his abilities, but because he wasn't O Grady. And that's not fair on the man.

orangeman

What evidence have you to support your insulting of Ring, Cashman and Daly, who are all staunch, hard working, dedicated Cork men who have put an awful lot into Cork hurling over their lifetimes ?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 13, 2009, 06:18:21 PM
Quote from: bingobus on March 13, 2009, 04:47:29 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 04:43:36 PM

They're not presumptions. I'm fairly sure there's indisputable evidence that they have on more than one occasion refused to play for their county. They've encouraged the boycott of a man's mothers funeral. Several of them are involved in the upper echelons of an organisation whose raison d'etre I and many like me believe is to destroy the GAA as we know it, i.e. bring in fully fledged professionalism. They made an agreement last year not to strike again and within 12 months were back on strike - again, that is undisputed. There's a saying - my word is my bond and we've seen how good their word is.

The only presumption there is what I believe about the GPA. Everything else is impossible to argue and is certainly enough for me to dislike the former hurlers and what they are trying to do. Of course the county board needs a shake up but the way you are going on you'd swear it was me and a few other backwoodsmen on this DB that couldn't see the light. Most real GAA people see whats going on and are disgusted. This will eventually split the Association, an Association me and thousands of volunteers up and down the country run for no gain and less thanks. Men like Donal Óg, Gardiner and Seán Óg should go down in history for their hurling exploits but sadly history will remember them for something else.

Anyway - I'm fairly angry about the whole thing and am going to take a step back for a while. I genuinely meant it - let them have O'Grady if it will shut them up for a while. I'm sick listening to it in a year when we should be celebrating the 125th anniversary of the GAA';s foundation.

Excellent. Add my name to this post. Perfectly summed up for me.

Great summarisation, bit in bold in particular. I seem to remember one of Donal Og's statements at the start of this shite way back when, where he said something along the lines of no great love for Cork outside the county. It was paranoia back then but if he uttered the same comment tomorrow he'd be fairly bang on the money...

In fairness Croí I don't think thats a totally fair comment to make.  I agree that their are a few that let their hate for Cork completely blind them when it comes to talking about the strike, but for the most part I think most people are well able to make up their own minds in what they believe is the truth and it has nothing got to do with their overall view on the county.  In other words most people would have the same view whatever county was involved.

Looking back on your comment, If I have taken the wrong meaning out of your post which I have bolded I apologise.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 06:20:07 PM
Really OM read the whole post, you constantly pick bits and pieces, a word or two from one line, another two or three words from another line and then you try to form a conclusion from that.
I said Considine had made a hash of the U21s and his record there is poor, but I also said that he's a reasonable reputation as a coach.
The only reason we know that he wasn't the first choice was because the CB said it.

You've got Considine, a good enough manager, or you've got Donal O Grady, an oustantding manager, but wasn't appointed purely because he came out in support of the palyers in the past few months, because of the things he said about the CB..the truth basically.

So, it's made clear that Considine wasn't picked because of his abilities, but because he wasn't O Grady. And that's not fair on the man.

Thats life Reillers if I write a newspaer column criticising my boss he's not going to employ me. It doesn't matter the rights and wrongs of it. They were never going to appoint him its human nature.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on March 13, 2009, 06:50:31 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 06:20:07 PM

Despite him being the best man for the job. There we have the CB putting what they want, their feelings, ahead of what's best for the county. He is the best option and poor Considine, well it's clear he was picked because he was the alternative. I have no problem with him being picked, but for the right reasons. This wasn't for the right reasons and that's not fair on Considine at all.

Thats life Reillers if I write a newspaer column criticising my boss he's not going to employ me. It doesn't matter the rights and wrongs of it. They were never going to appoint him its human nature.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 13, 2009, 06:27:49 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 13, 2009, 06:18:21 PM

They're not presumptions. I'm fairly sure there's indisputable evidence that they have on more than one occasion refused to play for their county. They've encouraged the boycott of a man's mothers funeral. Several of them are involved in the upper echelons of an organisation whose raison d'etre I and many like me believe is to destroy the GAA as we know it, i.e. bring in fully fledged professionalism. They made an agreement last year not to strike again and within 12 months were back on strike - again, that is undisputed. There's a saying - my word is my bond and we've seen how good their word is.

The only presumption there is what I believe about the GPA. Everything else is impossible to argue and is certainly enough for me to dislike the former hurlers and what they are trying to do. Of course the county board needs a shake up but the way you are going on you'd swear it was me and a few other backwoodsmen on this DB that couldn't see the light. Most real GAA people see whats going on and are disgusted. This will eventually split the Association, an Association me and thousands of volunteers up and down the country run for no gain and less thanks. Men like Donal Óg, Gardiner and Seán Óg should go down in history for their hurling exploits but sadly history will remember them for something else.

Anyway - I'm fairly angry about the whole thing and am going to take a step back for a while. I genuinely meant it - let them have O'Grady if it will shut them up for a while. I'm sick listening to it in a year when we should be celebrating the 125th anniversary of the GAA';s foundation.

Great summarisation, bit in bold in particular. I seem to remember one of Donal Og's statements at the start of this shite way back when, where he said something along the lines of no great love for Cork outside the county. It was paranoia back then but if he uttered the same comment tomorrow he'd be fairly bang on the money...

In fairness Croí I don't think thats a totally fair comment to make.  I agree that their are a few that let their hate for Cork completely blind them when it comes to talking about the strike, but for the most part I think most people are well able to make up their own minds in what they believe is the truth and it has nothing got to do with their overall view on the county.  In other words most people would have the same view whatever county was involved.

Looking back on your comment, If I have taken the wrong meaning out of your post which I have bolded I apologise.

U bastard, just spent the last 20 mins looking for the original comment with no success  :D That was my point, most rational GAA people didn't have a problem with Cork back in October when Donal Og made his comment, wheras after all the shanigans (particularly in the last month, death threats, no shows for funerals/removals  ::)) most people are sick to the back teeth of the whole place. And it wouldn't make a difference whether it was Cork of Carlow, wherever it went on would be treated with the same contempt...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Galwaybhoy

Haha ;D yeah I get ya now, after I had it posted I re-read what you wrote and thought to myself no I'm after getting the wrong meaning out of it first time around. :D  But yeah I'd agree with everything you said there!

anglocelt39

Me too.  Bloody hell, in agreement with the Mushroom pickers again,
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Reillers

Extremley unfair and untrue, allegations that you are making with no proof.
If you want to preech about what players get out of hard work make another topic for it, don't continually make presumptions on it here. NO player that I know of have ever said they want to see professionalism brought into the game.
The Cb broke several agreements that they made, does that not matter, or is it because they are the CB, well because they're not the players, they can get away with it.
What about appointing a man who the players made crystal clear was the one man they didn't want to work with, how about FM telling the CB that the players had agreed to have McCarthy as manager again before voting. The CB made that decision for one reason and one reason only, to get rid of the Cork players left over from 2002.
But again, nothing said about them either.

I know how we in Cork will remember them as, and that's all that matters imo.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 07:35:59 PM

Well Reillers what is the truth then?  Tell me.  Did you not say a few pages back that the players thought under the circumstances it would be best not to go to the funeral.  It does not matter if they were instructed or not, the fact is that most of the players did not go the funeral.  If the players were not on strike they would have all turned up to the funeral.

Can you tell me of any part of my post here that is not true?  Can you point out anything that I just said that is wrong.

RedandGreenSniper

Perhaps it is untrue but Gerald McCarthy made that claim on Tuesday evening. Its now Friday and still no response from the players. You'd think they'd be quick to nip such a damning lie in the bud. What reason have they for not commenting on this? Because if its untrue, then their name is being dragged through the mud. That's not what they want, is it?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Reillers

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 13, 2009, 07:44:58 PM

Perhaps it is untrue but Gerald McCarthy made that claim on Tuesday evening. Its now Friday and still no response from the players. You'd think they'd be quick to nip such a damning lie in the bud. What reason have they for not commenting on this? Because if its untrue, then their name is being dragged through the mud. That's not what they want, is it?

Which McCarthy doesn't even know is true.
Some, like RTE news, didn't even mention that part in the news if I remember that correctly.

The players have said nothing since, Sean Og made a comment about what is happening now, but that man shouldn't be left near a microphone because he is that bad infront of them, Donal og is probably the best speaker but everytime people see him talking they see him, they don't hear him.

I presume at some point they'll make a statement but I think at the minute they are busy working towards the next game.

orangeman

Reillers - this was for your attention :

What evidence have you to support your insulting of Ring, Cashman and Daly, who are all staunch, hard working, dedicated Cork men who have put an awful lot into Cork hurling over their lifetimes ? 

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 13, 2009, 07:58:09 PM

How in the name of God did you get that from what I said.
I said they were handpicked from FM.
And from that you got this.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 08:00:23 PM
Quote from: orangeman on March 13, 2009, 07:58:09 PM

How in the name of God did you get that from what I said.
I said they were handpicked from FM.
And from that you got this.

It's his selectors that are a disaster more then he is, all CB men.

Your words - not mine. A disaster ?? How come they're a disaster ??