McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: johnneycool on March 13, 2009, 11:09:30 AM
According to a lad on AFR John Gardiner rung Jerry O'Sullivan and told him their preferred interim manger was O'Grady. O'Sullivan is said to have told the meeting this before the vote took place.

Don't know how much truth is in it though.

Reillers, GAA,
Did everyone know who the possible candidates were before the meeting?

No

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 11:13:28 AM
Yet again bitching and attacking the players before having the actual real facts. Not like i'm surprised. That's all some of ye do.

Why don't you go over to PROC, have a read and then copy and paste someone else's comments and pass them off as your own..

The GAA

If we don't know the content or timing of any possible statement then i don't see how we can draw any conclusions.

disappointing as it is for you dowling could you holdoff on this latest players' character assasination for the time being?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: The GAA on March 13, 2009, 11:29:49 AM
If we don't know the content or timing of any possible statement then i don't see how we can draw any conclusions.

disappointing as it is for you dowling could you holdoff on this latest players' character assasination for the time being?

Thats true, no one is sure of exactly what statements were made, or if Gardiner even did make a statement about who the 08 team wanted as manager.

RedandGreenSniper

Yeah there's a vacuum on info at the minute. I'll see if I can find anything else. The players have, in some shape or form, expressed a preference for O'Grady. That's wrong in my book. But how they went about expressing this will determine just how bad.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Reillers

There was no statement. Ga rang jos and said who'd they'd prefer. They also said before if i remember correctly that they wouldn't have any problems working with john. No statement was made. But did that stop half of ye from attacking the players in what has become a regular undeserved character assination with no proof or backing to the claims but apparently that's ok. Totally unjust but i doubt any retractions or apologies will be made because ye don't give a shit. Like i said zero respect.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 12:07:48 PM
There was no statement. Ga rang jos and said who'd they'd prefer.

What business of 'Ga's' is it who the next Cork manager is?

Mulvey agreement is null & void..

RedandGreenSniper

Not a statement, Gardiner rang Jerry O'Sullivan, not as bad as a statement but I don't think the hurlers can be dictating in all fairness.

From Examiner.ie

Friday, March 13, 2009

Caretaker role for Cork U-21 manager Considine
By Fintan O'Toole

JOHN CONSIDINE and his Cork U-21 selectors were last night appointed as the Cork senior hurling management team on an interim basis at a meeting of the Cork County Board in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, with chairman Jerry O'Sullivan assuring delegates that he was confident Considine and his colleagues would step into the breach if asked.

Delegates voted by secret ballot between the choice of the current U-21 hurling management team, that is headed by 1990 All-Ireland winner Considine, and 2004 Cork All-Ireland winning boss Donal O'Grady. The result of the vote was 77-39 in favour of the U-21 management team with two abstentions and three spoiled votes. The management team will be completed by current U-21 selectors Jim Cashman, Tony O'Sullivan, Denis Ring and Paddy Daly, and they will be in charge for Cork's league matches against Clare in Cusack Park on March 22 and against Limerick in Páirc Uí Chaoimh on March 29.

The county board executive brought forward the two managerial proposals for delegate's consideration at the start of the meeting, with the executive suggesting the Cork U-21 management team be appointed. Chairman Jerry O'Sullivan then informed delegates that 2008 Cork hurling captain John Gardiner had contacted him yesterday regarding O'Grady being appointed.
Meanwhile the process to choose the next full-time Cork hurling manager will be decided at a meeting of the Cork County Board next Monday night. Ten varying proposals were put forward at last night's meeting as to the composition of the appointments committee for the manager. The county board executive's recommendation was to hand over the power of appointing to the Central Council of the GAA, according to chairman Jerry O'Sullivan.

"Central Council would appoint three independent Cork GAA people to a committee that would be overseen by Árd Stiúrthóir Pádraic Duffy. This committee's recommendation would be subject to the approval of the county board and would be for a two-year term. This would move it out of the realm of local politics and disputes."

The proposals are set to be emailed by the executive to all Cork clubs today, for their consideration over the weekend before next Monday's county board meeting. Clubs that do not have access to email are requested to collect copies of the proposals from the county board office in Páirc Uí Chaoimh before close of business today.

Earlier in the meeting there was uncertainty over the position of Gerald McCarthy's Cork selectors — Ger Fitzgerald, Teddy McCarthy, John Mortell and Johnny Keane. Responding to a query from Sarsfields delegate Denis Hurley on whether those selectors were still in place, Jerry O'Sullivan stated: "Gerald has now resigned and in our opinion the four selectors are out of office as well. We should thank them for their services. These four lads did not resign. But in our opinion, when the manager went, they went. Of course they are eligible to be appointed by the new manager."

Yet Midleton delegate Pat Horgan questioned as to whether this had been communicated to the selectors and earlier in the day, Johnny Keane had revealed that to his knowledge they remained Cork selectors.

Meanwhile chairman Jerry O'Sullivan reiterated again last night that GAA meetings outside of the Cork County Board have no standing. O'Sullivan was responding to a letter the executive received from 2008 Cork captain John Gardiner and Tomás Ryan, chairman of the club forum set up last Sunday night in the Maryborough house. The letter outlined the results of the two motions that the club had voted on but O'Sullivan did not engage in debate on these due to not recognising these meetings.

The executive also stated that the calls for a special county convention were no longer relevant due to the issue of Gerald McCarthy's management having been put to bed, when queried on this by Dripsey delegate Tomás Ryan.

Earlier O'Sullivan paid tribute to Gerald McCarthy, whose tenure ended in acrimony when he resigned on Tuesday night.

"He has given magnificent service to his club, his county and indeed the GAA in general. He certainly didn't deserve the treatment he received, it was uncalled for, unwanted and undeserved. All we can do is thank him for the services he has rendered to the county. We wish him well in the future, himself and his family."

St Finbarr's delegate Denis Harrington stated that he was, "Absolutely disgusted at the treatment of Gerald McCarthy since October" and described it as "absolutely sickening." Central Council delegate Bob Honohan also called on the 2008 Cork panel to respond to claims made by Gerald McCarthy in his resignation statement on Tuesday night that players had been urged not to attend his mother's funeral.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 12:07:48 PM
There was no statement. Ga rang jos and said who'd they'd prefer. They also said before if i remember correctly that they wouldn't have any problems working with john. No statement was made. But did that stop half of ye from attacking the players in what has become a regular undeserved character assination with no proof or backing to the claims but apparently that's ok. Totally unjust but i doubt any retractions or apologies will be made because ye don't give a shit. Like i said zero respect.

Reillers, it wasn't a statement, it was a phone call. I'm sorry. A slight difference but do you really think Gardiner should be recommending a manager after all they've said?

Reillers

What i heard is that they were asked. I could be wrong but that's what i heard. They made no official statement. They never said that they only wanted to play under o grady. He they'd a choice they'd pick o grady. Everyone would except the cb because of the backing he have the players in this. And the players are the ones who've to play under him. So i think they should have something to do with it even saying who'd they prefer. They made no statement nothing. The ccb are the ones who told the press. 

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 12:22:52 PM
What i heard is that they were asked. I could be wrong but that's what i heard. They made no official statement. They never said that they only wanted to play under o grady. He they'd a choice they'd pick o grady. Everyone would except the cb because of the backing he have the players in this. And the players are the ones who've to play under him. So i think they should have something to do with it even saying who'd they prefer. They made no statement nothing. The ccb are the ones who told the press. 

You've a great habit of posting 'what you hear' as fact - you contradicted a poster on the other thread on this very matter

Surely you should've meant - 'What I read' - you have no contacts in this dispute and are relying solely on what you read on PROC which you then post as fact here..

passedit

Heffo any chance you'd find the decency from somewhere to argue your own case instead of having a go at Reillers. It's gone beyond tiresome now. Play the ball not the man.
Don't Panic

Reillers

Heffo, again making assumptions with no fact. Only someone like you would use PROC as a source.

heffo

Quote from: passedit on March 13, 2009, 12:38:41 PM
Heffo any chance you'd find the decency from somewhere to argue your own case instead of having a go at Reillers. It's gone beyond tiresome now. Play the ball not the man.

I'm only dropping down to Reillers level - I must've missed your reprimands to Reillers when he spent the first 300 pages of this thread insulting anyone who held a different viewpoint to him..

realrebel

Quote from: johnneycool on March 13, 2009, 11:09:30 AM
According to a lad on AFR John Gardiner rung Jerry O'Sullivan and told him their preferred interim manger was O'Grady. O'Sullivan is said to have told the meeting this before the vote took place.

Don't know how much truth is in it though.

its in todays examiner that gardiner did in fact speak to jerry o sullivan about o grady before the meeting
total disgrace