McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: heffo on March 12, 2009, 02:48:42 PM
Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 02:46:17 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 12, 2009, 02:41:58 PM
So you now accept that the players accepted a significant six-figure endorsement deal which directly resulted in the county board losing out on hundreds of thousands of euro which they could have used to fund any manner of coaches, development officers or simply offset the cost of preparing the most 'expensive and professionally prepared' panel in the history of the GAA?

If you do indeed accept this and if the 'excellence they have achieved' is solely down to themselves and there weren't thousands of others that contributed to that excellence, then why don't they simply setup their own assocation - call it CHE - Cork Hurling Entertainment - charge at the gate and keep everything themselves - they can then use the same system of distribution that's gotten them this far - you're paid in terms of your media profile

As for your question as to whether I resent players getting endorsement deals, the answer is a resounding no - there is a leading Dublin forward who is probably third in the country in terms of commercial income, he's pulling in a low six-figure sum each year and I've no issue whatsover with that - the best of luck to him.

If for a second he tried to jeopardise any existing sponsorship deal Dublin had to line his own pockets, I'd feel the exact same towards him as I do Sean & Donal Og and the rest of the striking professionals...

I don't accept anything of he sort. you may se in my post that i accept the general principle that players should be able to earn money from their endorsements.

Regardless of who else it affects? Communists in the boardroom and capitalists (screw anyone who gets in your way) off it?

Obviously not. but should i have to post a disclaimer (where reasonable applicable) after every post for fear of it being nitpicked?

In this instance the players had agreed to endorse a product in a previously unbroached area of sponsprship. At a later date, the county board (and many other county boards) attempted to force players to break that agreement by forcing a rival agreement for a rival product on them

Reillers

Or it could be complete made up bullshit. Either way ye've no proof and he i'm not mistaken talking about players personal finances is against rules, is it not?

The GAA

Quote from: bingobus on March 12, 2009, 02:59:27 PM
Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 02:43:22 PM
If i remember this argument correctly, the player was explaining the depth of anger the players felt when the county board tried to force them to endorse a product which would break an agreement they'd already made with a similar product. They were engaged in a war of words with the county board and this guy set out how what they had said to them.

any player who would actually do this should be banned from ever wearing the jersey again

So you are saying thats it ok to threat and issue intimations but if these are actually carried out the person should be banned. What sort of twisted logic is that.

One of the issues that the Cork players stated was this wasn't about them, it was for the good of Cork and for the next generation. They believed in Cork hurling so much that they where prepared to give up their IC careers if it meant that the greater good was achieved.
Then you defend them for actually a commercial contract that benefits Numbers 1 to 30 of the Senior Cork panel and them alone. Little Johnny in the Junior club in west Cork will never see a penny of it. Cork had a deal in place that would have been the envy of many a county but this was foregone because those at the top of the food chain wanted it all for themselves.

But still you see that their interests is for the betterment of Cork Hurling and the next generation. And as Heffo says I'm for all of the GAA players getting money for endorsements but not at the expense of the greater need.

I'msaying they were in a row with the county board with little armoury. they seemto have threatened the county board with consequences if their hand was forced.

By your little johnny logic, Mel Gibson should give a percentage of his earnings from every movie to every actor who appeared in a panto or school play with him an the teacher who organised the play

johnneycool

Quote from: Reillers on March 12, 2009, 03:05:19 PM
Or it could be complete made up bullshit.

i think we now know the drinky bottle issue isn't. The only facts missing is how much senior players stood to make from the alternative deal. Personally i don't care how much but i now understand slightly more why Frank and the CB wanted rid of this group of individuals and by using Ger Mac as a pawn in the process did a disservice to the GAA.

Frank was wrong to do what he did just as the players were also wrong to call a halt to a sponsorship deal costing the very grass roots that they needed the support from €450K.

Is this not common knowledge with the clubs in Cork?

bingobus

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 03:08:38 PM
If i remember this argument correctly, the player was explaining the depth of anger the players felt when the county board tried to force them to endorse a product which would break an agreement they'd already made with a similar product. They were engaged in a war of words with the county board and this guy set out how what they had said to them.

any player who would actually do this should be banned from ever wearing the jersey again

So you are saying thats it ok to threat and issue intimations but if these are actually carried out the person should be banned. What sort of twisted logic is that.

One of the issues that the Cork players stated was this wasn't about them, it was for the good of Cork and for the next generation. They believed in Cork hurling so much that they where prepared to give up their IC careers if it meant that the greater good was achieved.
Then you defend them for actually a commercial contract that benefits Numbers 1 to 30 of the Senior Cork panel and them alone. Little Johnny in the Junior club in west Cork will never see a penny of it. Cork had a deal in place that would have been the envy of many a county but this was foregone because those at the top of the food chain wanted it all for themselves.

But still you see that their interests is for the betterment of Cork Hurling and the next generation. And as Heffo says I'm for all of the GAA players getting money for endorsements but not at the expense of the greater need.

I'msaying they were in a row with the county board with little armoury. they seemto have threatened the county board with consequences if their hand was forced.

By your little johnny logic, Mel Gibson should give a percentage of his earnings from every movie to every actor who appeared in a panto or school play with him an the teacher who organised the play

Don't even try comparing Mel Gibson (you could have at least used an Irish actor), a professional, international actor, to an amatuer sportsman. Are you that stupid?

They where a row with the county board over money.

The GAA

Quote from: johnneycool on March 12, 2009, 03:15:23 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 12, 2009, 03:05:19 PM
Or it could be complete made up bullshit.

i think we now know the drinky bottle issue isn't. The only facts missing is how much senior players stood to make from the alternative deal. Personally i don't care how much but i now understand slightly more why Frank and the CB wanted rid of this group of individuals and by using Ger Mac as a pawn in the process did a disservice to the GAA.

Frank was wrong to do what he did just as the players were also wrong to call a halt to a sponsorship deal costing the very grass roots that they needed the support from €450K.

Is this not common knowledge with the clubs in Cork?

My understanding is that the GPA as an organisation receives the moneys from energise and not individual players. the only individual endorsement monies thee is for the 10 or 12 lads who do the bill board ads - that'd be one or 2 corkmen at most

The GAA

Quote from: bingobus on March 12, 2009, 03:18:22 PM
Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 03:08:38 PM

Don't even try comparing Mel Gibson (you could have at least used an Irish actor), a professional, international actor, to an amatuer sportsman. Are you that stupid?

They where a row with the county board over money.

Now i know you don't think i'm comparing them to mel gibson...

in case you're not pretending - The principle is the same on the general point. should damien duff's school boy coach and team mates get a cut from his current endorsement money?

turk

Quote from: bingobus on March 12, 2009, 03:18:22 PM

Don't even try comparing Mel Gibson (you could have at least used an Irish actor)

Mel Gibson is Irish! Longford's finest!!

INDIANA

Picked this up off my local cork paper that I get sent to me. Written by a cork journo.

ARE WE into the endgame in the Cork hurling dispute? The sacrificial lamb has been slaughtered and Gerald McCarthy has fallen on his sword. He had no choice, really, shunned by the players, by the public and now by the clubs.

Another sad, miserable chapter has been added to Cork's recent hurling story and nobody can be proud of what has been done. Maybe soon we'll have a special wall in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, called 'The Rogues' Gallery.' We already have two pictures hanging there, covered in blood, Teddy Holland and Gerald McCarthy. I don't see any player picture there or any Co. Board member.

We should truly hang our heads in shame at what we have done, again. Yes, McCarthy walking had to happen but that the man was put into that position in the first place was disgraceful and one would tempt one to walk away from the present Cork GAA scene.

Apparently, the expected fireworks at the Tuesday night meeting between the Co. Board members and the Club officers didn't materialise because the appetite for blood had been satisfied and once more, the executive seem to be about to escape any reprimand. If they were men enough they would all walk in sympathy with McCarthy, as would certain players who have led us to this. No, I am not a happy Cork GAA man today. We should all be heartily ashamed of ourselves, again.

Does anybody really believe that getting rid of Gerald McCarthy, or Frank Murphy for that matter, will solve this problem? Of course those moves would definitely help to get the ball rolling properly but they would only be the first steps in a long process of self-healing that must be undertaken by all units of the GAA in Cork, in unison, if these annual strikes are not to become a way of life here in Cork.

The instant solutions are quite obvious, number one, get all the hurlers, 2008 and 2009 squads, back playing as fast as possible and, number two, sort out the delegate problem at Co. Board. Those two solutions must be put in place immediately but that is only the beginning. It must be followed up with long discussions with all parties that were involved in this dispute, i.e., Co. Executive, Co. Board delegates, players, management of all Cork teams, club officials and supporters. All those groups must meet and meet again and again until all the problems that caused this strike, and the last two, are identified and tackled.

Cork GAA can't afford to go down this road again. Nobody knows yet what damage this strike has done but it will leave a residue of bitterness and split clubs and families. Too much was said and done, or not done, too many people were treated with contempt to brush it all under the carpet. It won't disappear overnight but it must be tackled.

Last year a deal was drawn up with the footballers, signed, sealed and delivered, everything right and rosy in the garden again, but it was far from it. That settlement was never visited again, never scrutinised afterwards until the appointment of Gerald McCarthy arose this time. Then, everybody saw the flaws, but too late. That must not happen with whatever settlement is drawn up this time, a settlement that, because of confines of time, will be just a temporary one, a first step in a long process.

The best minds in the GAA in this county must be employed to work on a proper, long-term settlement this time. Anything less will be another doomsday scenario. The final solution must contain help on how bridges can be rebuilt, friendships restored and clubs reunited. It's everything or nothing this time.

Those who say that this is all about player power will hold that no deal arrived at with these players will hold because this is only the first shot in the war, that the hidden agenda which some players may have, will surface again when it suits them. Well, we Cork GAA people have had enough of being used by outside organisations who look on Cork as a testing ground for their version of the future for the GAA. In other words, back off Cork, Mr. Farrell, this is our county and we will do nicely without any interference from Dublin.

If this was truly for the good of Cork hurling, from all the players, then well done to the 2008 squad who had the courage of their convictions to be prepared to sacrifice their careers for the good of the coming generations. I would like to think that is true, but I wonder can every single player in the squad put his hand on his heart and say, truly, this was for Cork hurling and nothing else?

Will McCarthy have to walk on his own? Are there not those on the Co. Executive and among the Co. Board delegates who deserve to walk even more? Are there not some players who have dragged the name of Cork through the mud and also deserve to go?

Getting Gerald McCarthy to step down may bring back the 2008 squad, and there is no guarantee of that yet, but it certainly won't solve the problems besetting Cork at the moment. We would all want to be very careful before taking any actions in this situation without seriously thinking of the implications. We are talking about people here, not commodities, people who can be seriously hurt by whatever actions are taken.

Yes, action must be taken if the problems are to be solved and maybe drastic action at that. But let's do it in a humane way, with a little dignity and a little compassion for those who may end up the victims. When all is said and done, the GAA is just a sport and sport is meant to be enjoyed. When last did we enjoy Cork GAA?

Because the clubs at last woke up and realised that the GAA is truly about the clubs and the people involved in clubs, this impasse is reaching the end game. Not a moment too soon. But when the Cork situation is finally settled to the satisfaction of all, what will the clubs do about the dictatorship that is now Croke Park? A lot of this hassle can be traced back to the various dictates handed down from Croke Park in the past two decades about what clubs can and cannot do. Ask any club trying to get a motion through convention what they think of Croke Park dictates. Will the clubs also stand up to Croke Park in the effort to restore democracy to the association? We have opened a real can of worms here in Cork, maybe it was coming.

Next week we'll take a look at a survey done by Newstalk, 106-108FM radio about player power in the GAA, with the Cork scene in mind. It makes interesting reading, with people almost split right down the centre on the issue.

Despite the threat of all-out strike action from the clubs if the strike isn't solved soon, clubs are going about the business of playing games. The weather hasn't helped and the showers on Sunday last were enough to make us almost decide to turn on the television and stay indoors. Instead we travelled, through incredible sleet and hail showers, to Rosscarbery to watch Ross and Clon in the Kelleher Shield. It was an interesting game, which finished all square, but, right now, neither side is showing the form that could win a county. It's early days yet. It was good to see Kevin McMahon in action but he was flying straight back to Scotland after the game and is still unavailable to the Cork team.

The Cork team scraped over Fermanagh in the league despite all the distractions. We watched the highlights on television and there was a big difference between the pace and intensity of the Kerry v Derry game and the Cork game. Hopefully, competing in division 2 won't come home to roost when the pace is upped in the championship. I was amused to see that the majority of the crowd which marched to Páirc Uí Chaoimh, claiming to be genuine Cork supporters, didn't bother going to the game to support the footballers. Some supporters.

bingobus

I will not engage in discussion about professional sportmens or actors earnings been filtered down to whoever.

Do you not understand the ethos of the GAA? A completely different scale of things.

theskull1

Take any county player who is fortunate enough to be collecting 6 figure sums in endorement money on the back of his high profile within the GAA. Then lets say that there was a chance that that income stream was under threat either by a lack of success or the possibility of being dropped from the panel altogether.

How anybody could be so niave to even think that that type of income would not play a part in his decision making processes. Money earning potenial has played a huge part in the mindets of the 08 panel IMO yet they have dressed this war up in ribbons and bows to appeal to the stupid electorate. They are not so slow.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

deiseach

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 03:22:02 PM
in case you're not pretending - The principle is the same on the general point. should damien duff's school boy coach and team mates get a cut from his current endorsement money?

I think a more appropriate analogy would be if Damien Duff took to the field wearing an RBS logo across his midriff. Do you think Newcastle United would be happy with this?

The GAA

Quote from: bingobus on March 12, 2009, 03:35:24 PM
I will not engage in discussion about professional sportmens or actors earnings been filtered down to whoever.

Do you not understand the ethos of the GAA? A completely different scale of things.

Let me get this stright. If Alan Brogan gets approached by a clothing company to endorse their new line of hats. say he receives E20k for the run of ads, etc.

Are you saying that His club, in whtever form, should receive a percentage?

The GAA

Quote from: theskull1 on March 12, 2009, 03:36:16 PM
Take any county player who is fortunate enough to be collecting 6 figure sums in endorement money on the back of his high profile within the GAA. Then lets say that there was a chance that that income stream was under threat either by a lack of success or the possibility of being dropped from the panel altogether.

How anybody could be so niave to even think that that type of income would not play a part in his decision making processes. Money earning potenial has played a huge part in the mindets of the 08 panel IMO yet they have dressed this war up in ribbons and bows to appeal to the stupid electorate. They are not so slow.

How many of the cork hurlers fall into that endorsements category? 1?