McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Telling comment from a member of the on-off strikers:

""The players would only be seen with Club Energise. It was that much of a principle to the lads, to the group, " says one player. "If a Powerade or Coca-Cola bottle was slipped onto the field, even if it was in the middle of an All Ireland final, the lads said we'd be right down the tunnel."

Six figure sponsorship deals are more important to the strikers than playing in the showpiece game of any hurlers career...

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on March 12, 2009, 02:28:30 PM
Dismiss it  - rubbish it  - create a smokescreen -

Never thought I'd see the day GAA and Reillers would be compared to each other but here it is.

:D

what exactlyare you talking about. if you're gonna join in you'll have to stipulate the posts you're commenting on there chap

The GAA

Quote from: heffo on March 12, 2009, 02:29:36 PM

""The players would only be seen with Club Energise. It was that much of a principle to the lads, to the group, " says one player. "If a Powerade or Coca-Cola bottle was slipped onto the field, even if it was in the middle of an All Ireland final, the lads said we'd be right down the tunnel."

Six figure sponsorship deals are more important to the strikers than playing in the showpiece game of any hurlers career...

Yeah, because that's exactly what this fella is saying.  :-\

bingobus

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 02:26:25 PM
Quote from: bingobus on March 12, 2009, 02:19:11 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 12, 2009, 02:14:10 PM
Nail on the head gaa. will they admit it no not a chance. They are all too fast to accuse me you and everyone else of being clowns, comedians, liars arrogant and such for our views. They have no respect for us, the clubs, the fans, the players, even the journalists have alteriar motives. Ye preach about the players lack of respect for a 5 time winning ai hurler but ye have no problem thrashing 3 time winners. Ye accuse us of changing goalposts when ye do it all day. We respect ger but ye, ye hate them. 

One was bad but now the two of them will be ignoring specific questions and talking about the pride of cork. WE DON'T CARE ABOUT CORK. Its clear to the rest of the posters on this thread bar 3 maybe 4 at most that there are bigger issues here but you just won't address any questions we ask.

start a thread about what you do care about so an stop hijacking this one

bingobus

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 02:31:17 PM

You are priceless. I do feel sorry for your lack of ability to read and understand english.

The GAA

Taking a comment like this out of context in attempt to paint him in a particular light is as old as the hills.

Apollo did that to illustrate Zeus' apparent lack of commitment

bingobus

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 02:36:29 PM

Taking a comment like this out of context in attempt to paint him in a particular light is as old as the hills.

Apollo did that to illustrate Zeus' apparent lack of commitment

Why was he going to walk down the tunnel then? Was he allergic to Powerade?

???  ???  ???

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 02:25:26 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 12, 2009, 01:51:16 PM
There is nothing "mini" about the €450k deal if its true.

Also the real issues have been talked about over and over again, and all the conclusions so far have mainly pointed towards the players being in the wrong.

one dispute out of hundreds is minor or mini in te grand scheme of the whole dispute.

The real issues have been talked about occasionally - the major and deliberate mismanagement of county board duties by the county executive - and the players have quite clearly been show to be entirely in the right

No they have not.  If they had I would think 90% of the country would be behind the players, however other than Cork itself, this is not the case.

Was there not talk a few pages back about how the County Board need to improve facilities in a lot of areas because of their neglect, and if players are doing deals that are costing the board up to €450k then where are they supposed to get the money from.  But even if it was a minor dispute, can you at least admit that the players would be completely in the wrong to cost the County Board this sort of money for reasons stated by Bingobus a few posts back.

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 02:28:18 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 12, 2009, 02:19:24 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 12, 2009, 02:14:10 PM
Nail on the head gaa. will they admit it no not a chance. They are all too fast to accuse me you and everyone else of being clowns, comedians, liars arrogant and such for our views. They have no respect for us, the clubs, the fans, the players, even the journalists have alteriar motives. Ye preach about the players lack of respect for a 5 time winning ai hurler but ye have no problem thrashing 3 time winners. Ye accuse us of changing goalposts when ye do it all day. We respect ger but ye, ye hate them. 

You've been saying the same thing for 350 pages - at the very least post something specific - I've posted two articles from journalists who cannot be described as anything other than highly sympathetic to the GPA ringleaders - both articles confirm the players trousering significant sums of money

Your comments please Reillers & GAA?

Players earn money from endorements on the back of the excellence they have achieved and the regard they are held in and worked hard for?
i'm all for that.

i presume you resent it?

So you now accept that the players accepted a significant six-figure endorsement deal which directly resulted in the county board losing out on hundreds of thousands of euro which they could have used to fund any manner of coaches, development officers or simply offset the cost of preparing the most 'expensive and professionally prepared' panel in the history of the GAA?

If you do indeed accept this and if the 'excellence they have achieved' is solely down to themselves and there weren't thousands of others that contributed to that excellence, then why don't they simply setup their own assocation - call it CHE - Cork Hurling Entertainment - charge at the gate and keep everything themselves - they can then use the same system of distribution that's gotten them this far - you're paid in terms of your media profile

As for your question as to whether I resent players getting endorsement deals, the answer is a resounding no - there is a leading Dublin forward who is probably third in the country in terms of commercial income, he's pulling in a low six-figure sum each year and I've no issue whatsover with that - the best of luck to him.

If for a second he tried to jeopardise any existing sponsorship deal Dublin had to line his own pockets, I'd feel the exact same towards him as I do Sean & Donal Og and the rest of the striking professionals...

The GAA

If i remember this argument correctly, the player was explaining the depth of anger the players felt when the county board tried to force them to endorse a product which would break an agreement they'd already made with a similar product. They were engaged in a war of words with the county board and this guy set out how what they had said to them.

any player who would actually do this should be banned from ever wearing the jersey again

heffo

Why don't you explain what he means so?

If someone were to try to put of bottle of the official Cork county board refreshment drink (for all GAA in Cork at all levels - Camogie, Ladies football, football & hurling from U12 - Junior) then the professionals would walk off the pitch regardless of whether it was a training session or the AI final - did you derive a different meaning from his statement?

The GAA

Quote from: heffo on March 12, 2009, 02:41:58 PM
So you now accept that the players accepted a significant six-figure endorsement deal which directly resulted in the county board losing out on hundreds of thousands of euro which they could have used to fund any manner of coaches, development officers or simply offset the cost of preparing the most 'expensive and professionally prepared' panel in the history of the GAA?

If you do indeed accept this and if the 'excellence they have achieved' is solely down to themselves and there weren't thousands of others that contributed to that excellence, then why don't they simply setup their own assocation - call it CHE - Cork Hurling Entertainment - charge at the gate and keep everything themselves - they can then use the same system of distribution that's gotten them this far - you're paid in terms of your media profile

As for your question as to whether I resent players getting endorsement deals, the answer is a resounding no - there is a leading Dublin forward who is probably third in the country in terms of commercial income, he's pulling in a low six-figure sum each year and I've no issue whatsover with that - the best of luck to him.

If for a second he tried to jeopardise any existing sponsorship deal Dublin had to line his own pockets, I'd feel the exact same towards him as I do Sean & Donal Og and the rest of the striking professionals...

I don't accept anything of he sort. you may se in my post that i accept the general principle that players should be able to earn money from their endorsements.

The GAA

Quote from: heffo on March 12, 2009, 02:45:15 PM

Why don't you explain what he means so?

If someone were to try to put of bottle of the official Cork county board refreshment drink (for all GAA in Cork at all levels - Camogie, Ladies football, football & hurling from U12 - Junior) then the professionals would walk off the pitch regardless of whether it was a training session or the AI final - did you derive a different meaning from his statement?

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 02:43:22 PM
If i remember this argument correctly, the player was explaining the depth of anger the players felt when the county board tried to force them to endorse a product which would break an agreement they'd already made with a similar product. They were engaged in a war of words with the county board and this guy set out how what they had said to them.

any player who would actually do this should be banned from ever wearing the jersey again

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 02:46:17 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 12, 2009, 02:41:58 PM

I don't accept anything of he sort. you may se in my post that i accept the general principle that players should be able to earn money from their endorsements.

Regardless of who else it affects? Communists in the boardroom and capitalists (screw anyone who gets in your way) off it?

bingobus

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 02:43:22 PM

So you are saying thats it ok to threat and issue intimations but if these are actually carried out the person should be banned. What sort of twisted logic is that.

One of the issues that the Cork players stated was this wasn't about them, it was for the good of Cork and for the next generation. They believed in Cork hurling so much that they where prepared to give up their IC careers if it meant that the greater good was achieved.
Then you defend them for actually a commercial contract that benefits Numbers 1 to 30 of the Senior Cork panel and them alone. Little Johnny in the Junior club in west Cork will never see a penny of it. Cork had a deal in place that would have been the envy of many a county but this was foregone because those at the top of the food chain wanted it all for themselves.

But still you see that their interests is for the betterment of Cork Hurling and the next generation. And as Heffo says I'm for all of the GAA players getting money for endorsements but not at the expense of the greater need.