McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Croi - just to clarify the situation for you so that there's no ambiguity here - ok ?

reillers
that post bout a lot of them at the removal and thev players contacting ger
is total lies
5 players turned up to the removal 1 player contacted gerald by phone and this player was already at the removal
he was telling him he couldnt go to the funeral
fact is no other player contacted gerald

5 players ( I can tell you who they are but won't ) turned up at the removal.None of them went to the funeral.

The lads who turned up ( and respect to them for that ) at least had the common decency to turn up and show respect to a man who had managed them at senior IC level for the previous 2 years. The rest didn't. Now is there anything else you need to know about these great lads who form the 2008 panel, the honest, decent saviours of Cork hurling ?? I didn't think so.

theskull1

Some replies to Buds questions from Reillers GAA Zulu AZ would be very welcome to help develop their position on this dispute

I have asserted many times that I believe that players finincial considerations has a major part in this sorry saga, yet it is conveniently dismissed/ignored out of hand. So some answers to Buds questions would not go amiss lad. We should give them time and space to reply.

Quote from: Bud Wiser on March 12, 2009, 08:44:16 AM
Now for the last time can I ask you:
What is your views on players getting sponsorship and keeping it for themselves.  I am not talking about the odd 1,000 euro here, I am talking big amounts, do you think that players should negotiate their own sponsorship deals and the players decide who should manage them and the players decide how the money from sponsorship is divided without the county board having any say.  You do or you don't, which?  450,000 is a substantial sum of money.  How much sponsorship have the individualls and panel mmbers received?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

turk

Quote from: Bud Wiser on March 12, 2009, 09:55:48 AM
I was down there a few months ago meeting a very senior person in a very famous Cork Gaa Club, and it wasn't Youghal which I mentioned I was in at Christmas for the funeral of a Mr. Swaine.   No, it was another club and the man I was talking to had a son on one of the Cork County teams, I am not saying which.  He told me of huge sponsorships that had been done on a personal basis between high profile players, he told me of a joint sponsorship deal that was done with the entire panel and that (to use his words) "Frank Murphy was going mad because none of the money was going to the county board or clubs" .   That's what he told me, it is a famous club and I have no reason whatsoever to disbelieve him.

If that is the case it has serious implications for the GAA.  They are:

1.  Other counties will want to do the same and a split will come right down the middle of the GAA.  You will have the likes of John Power from Kilkenny who driving a tractor around a farm and milking cows while giving his all for the cause of his county and you will have others sitting around a board room table in suits  sipping energy drinks while they decide who gets how many thousand out of a new divvy that has come their way.

2.  Expect the texts to start flying any day saying as I have suggested on the other thread that the new manager of Cork is Max Clifford, that is where this is heading. The best manager will not be one like Gerald McCarthy but one who can negotiate the best deal.

3.  If one more county follow the destructive road that Cork have taken the GAA as far as hurling is concerned is finished. Take away all the shit and smoke screens, this was about the right of the team to select their own manager and agree their own sponsorship deals.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Hurling is our national game and it is already taking second place in a ot of ways.  Every county including Cork need money to promote hurling, not promote players.

4.  If one more county follow the lead of Cork and if this is about money then we will have the nearest thing to Civil War in the GAA than we have ever had since its foundation 125 years ago.  Civil wars are dirty business, more death threats will be issued if the stakes get as high as I am led to believe they are.  You will have brother against brother as they used to say.  Think what would happen if someone asks the tax man to get involved and investigate individuals, or worse asks the sponsors for details of all sponsorship?  Think of the hatred then that will spread with, as Eddie Keher said a ripple effect.  Cork have brought a whole new meaning to the phrase "A Terrible Beauty is Born".

Nicky Brennan said yesterday that he recently met Gerald McCarthy at his mothers funeral and that no man should ever have to go through what Gerald McCarthy went through.   Dead right NIcky, 100% but, why the hell did Croke Park not stop it the very first week of the strike?  Why? Why let these assholes drag the name of the GAA into the mire and associate it with the CIRA.   I'll tell you why, because it was about money, that's why and now the die has been cast.  Next time a group of players refuse to play unless they get direct sponsorship for themselves and that same sponsor is sponsoring the GAA for two or three million are the GAA going to be in a position to say, no, you are not to sponsor them, the money must go to the GAA so we want you to give us two million but you are not allowedgive the players anything, it is against the rules.  Rules my arse.

Here is a rule for you Nicky.  If a senior intercounty team issue a statement that they are going on strike they should within 24 hrs get a registered letter suspending them from the championship and League for two years.  Why?  I am glad to see Dublin Hurling on the rise but according to Reillers and the Shoppers down in Cork  and the papers the Dub's only played a junior c team. They gained points in the league while Clare have now to play the professionals to try and get the same number of points.  When teams go on strike they upset the entire country and Cork knew that before they started.  What happens if the lower teams that got points for nothing and teams that should be in the first division are relegated?  Whose gate receipts, in turn, icome and in turn money required for clubs have Cork affected then? The team that plays Clare should be the team that played Dublin or no team.  Jesus what I would give to be in Nicky Brennans chair today, I would put manners on these f**kers I tell you. !!

I don't agree with all of that Bud. If one group of players don't wish to play (which is what happened) why should genuine players be prevented from representing the county. There wasn't a whole pile that top brass could do.

However, you have raised some interesting points regarding sponsorship.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on March 11, 2009, 07:41:50 PM
that post bout a lot of them at the removal and the players contacting ger
is total lies

Tere's some irony in the biggest liar on this board trying to label smeone else the same

The GAA

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 11, 2009, 10:40:50 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 10:13:39 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 11, 2009, 10:10:48 PM
I'm curious about this line being spouted that Murphy can't be sacked. Reillers has said its gospel but I sincerely doubt it. Perhaps the players don't care if, as some of the pro players posters would say 'the county board don't look out for the best interests of Cork GAA' so long as it doesn't impinge on the senior hurlers. So selfish and not altruistic motives after all. That's my reading of it. Its a holy mess and I'm beginning to think that Cork GAA should be sanctioned for the harm they've brought the GAA through in recent months.

He can't. It's in his contract, which he wrote himself 30 years ago.

Sorry, still don't believe that. I know he's meant to be some man for the rulebook but I doubt there's such a thing as an unsackable person in the GAA. Have you seen this contract? Or, if not, on who's say so are you saying he's unsackable?

These full ime secretaries have no direct line manager. in theory they should be answerable to the county executive but the executive don't have disciplinary powers over them

Bud Wiser

On mature reflection as they say, you are right, the 2009 young lads should be left play.   Great credit to them and I could only imagine the reception they will get if the play as a team in the future.  But now:
Say this was a league as important as the premiership in terms of gate receipts and future funding for counties?  How would you feel if you were from Clare say, and Cork went on strike while teams like Dublin get what is effectively a walk over?  Dublin go up and Clare go down.   If I were the Clare county board I would object to any of the 2008 panel being allowed play until the season is over and if I had my way it would be two seasons.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

The GAA

Quote from: INDIANA on March 12, 2009, 12:28:23 AM
An essentially local newspaper journalist has put the nations journos to shame Reillers. Its a great article though reillers me ould flower hits the nail right on the head wouldn't you agree ;D ;D.

Dozens of reports and opinion pieces articulate the opposite side of the argument and they are all written by people of low moral fibre, corrupt or driven by money. a handful support your position (whatever it is today) and they are enlightened and brave? i can see the logic your clinging to all right

The GAA

Quote from: The GAA on March 11, 2009, 06:54:54 PM

Would one of you "fact dealers" - as indiana calls you - like to post a link to the article?

almost 24 hours and noone was able to find this article on rte website that you were magically quoting?

turk

I'd be fuming Bud but you can only play what is out in front of you. But you're making the assumption that the 2008 panel are still up to it, which they showed (in my view) in the 07 and 08 championships that they are not. Now whether that was down to the 07/08 management or not is another matter for debate!!

The GAA

I was down there a few months ago meeting a very senior person in a very famous Cork Gaa Club, and it wasn't Youghal which I mentioned I was in at Christmas for the funeral of a Mr. Swaine.   No, it was another club and the man I was talking to had a son on one of the Cork County teams, I am not saying which.  He told me of huge sponsorships that had been done on a personal basis between high profile players, he told me of a joint sponsorship deal that was done with the entire panel and that (to use his words) "Frank Murphy was going mad because none of the money was going to the county board or clubs" .   That's what he told me, it is a famous club and I have no reason whatsoever to disbelieve him.

1.  Other counties will want to do the same and a split will come right down the middle of the GAA.  You will have the likes of John Power from Kilkenny who driving a tractor around a farm and milking cows while giving his all for the cause of his county and you will have others sitting around a board room table in suits  sipping energy drinks while they decide who gets how many thousand out of a new divvy that has come their way.

2.  Expect the texts to start flying any day saying as I have suggested on the other thread that the new manager of Cork is Max Clifford, that is where this is heading. The best manager will not be one like Gerald McCarthy but one who can negotiate the best deal.

3.  If one more county follow the destructive road that Cork have taken the GAA as far as hurling is concerned is finished. Take away all the shit and smoke screens, this was about the right of the team to select their own manager and agree their own sponsorship deals.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Hurling is our national game and it is already taking second place in a ot of ways.  Every county including Cork need money to promote hurling, not promote players.

4.  If one more county follow the lead of Cork and if this is about money then we will have the nearest thing to Civil War in the GAA than we have ever had since its foundation 125 years ago.  Civil wars are dirty business, more death threats will be issued if the stakes get as high as I am led to believe they are.  You will have brother against brother as they used to say.  Think what would happen if someone asks the tax man to get involved and investigate individuals, or worse asks the sponsors for details of all sponsorship?  Think of the hatred then that will spread with, as Eddie Keher said a ripple effect.  Cork have brought a whole new meaning to the phrase "A Terrible Beauty is Born".

Nicky Brennan said yesterday that he recently met Gerald McCarthy at his mothers funeral and that no man should ever have to go through what Gerald McCarthy went through.   Dead right NIcky, 100% but, why the hell did Croke Park not stop it the very first week of the strike?  Why? Why let these assholes drag the name of the GAA into the mire and associate it with the CIRA.   I'll tell you why, because it was about money, that's why and now the die has been cast.  Next time a group of players refuse to play unless they get direct sponsorship for themselves and that same sponsor is sponsoring the GAA for two or three million are the GAA going to be in a position to say, no, you are not to sponsor them, the money must go to the GAA so we want you to give us two million but you are not allowedgive the players anything, it is against the rules.  Rules my arse.

Here is a rule for you Nicky.  If a senior intercounty team issue a statement that they are going on strike they should within 24 hrs get a registered letter suspending them from the championship and League for two years.  Why?  I am glad to see Dublin Hurling on the rise but according to Reillers and the Shoppers down in Cork  and the papers the Dub's only played a junior c team. They gained points in the league while Clare have now to play the professionals to try and get the same number of points.  When teams go on strike they upset the entire country and Cork knew that before they started.  What happens if the lower teams that got points for nothing and teams that should be in the first division are relegated?  Whose gate receipts, in turn, icome and in turn money required for clubs have Cork affected then? The team that plays Clare should be the team that played Dublin or no team.  Jesus what I would give to be in Nicky Brennans chair today, I would put manners on these f**kers I tell you. !!

Thats as big a pile of unsubstantiated horseshit as has been posted on this thread.

It's symptomatic of most anti players posters on this thread.

tyronefan

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 10:38:41 AM

If this is the case  the clubs have made a big mistake and kicked out the wrong person

bingobus

Quote from: The GAA on March 12, 2009, 10:38:41 AM

Thats as big a pile of unsubstantiated horseshit as has been posted on this thread.

It's symptomatic of most anti players posters on this thread.

Top class reasoning and ignore the isues raised.

"f you don't agree with it, dismiss it as horseshit" - The Reillers school of debating

The GAA

The post is irrelevent to the genisis, the actual issues and the current state of this saga.
it's simply another of bud's gpa conspiracy theories which he has tried at several junctures (along with dowling) to hjck this thread with

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

heffo

Quote from: theskull1 on March 12, 2009, 10:56:00 AM
care to respond to them hypothecically then?

Unlikely he will - in addition to flip-flopping as it suits, they never deal in specifics only broad brush strokes and will personally attack anyone who disagrees with their opinion..