McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Talk in this scenario of constitution, procedure and byelaws is pathetic in my opinion and is the last haven for county executive apologists

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on March 10, 2009, 11:19:10 AM

Talk in this scenario of constitution, procedure and byelaws is pathetic in my opinion and is the last haven for county executive apologists

What is one of those?

Quote from: passedit on March 10, 2009, 11:17:54 AM
Quote from: dowling on March 07, 2009, 10:07:18 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 07, 2009, 08:02:14 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 07, 2009, 07:56:35 PM
I'll retract it  ;) ;). Happy ;D.

By the way I'm from vincents in Dublin. I think that's covered by the Freedom of Information act.

No I'm not, a little late for that.

Only yourself to blame reillers. You couldn't just debate the issues, you had to accuse the rest of us of not having a clue and you knew people and were in the best position to judge everything.

QuoteThanks Reillers. I forgot to mention the abuse that those with an opposing view receive when they try to express themselves.

I'll add you to the list of hypocrites so.

And since you're all so interested in Reillers club etc, could you state your position as a one issue poster on this site. Are you best mates with Bob too or did Dessie run over your cat?

What are you talking about?

orangeman

Did you'se read Paddy Heaney this morning on the Cork issue ?

He laid the blame for the mess on the clubs' sitting on their hands for years and allowing the CB to dictate what went on in Cork for far too long.

bingobus

Quote from: The GAA on March 10, 2009, 11:19:10 AM

You're right, lets just do whatever we want and to hell with 125 years of rules.  ::)  ::)

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on March 10, 2009, 11:23:47 AM

He laid the blame for the mess on the clubs' sitting on their hands for years and allowing the CB to dictate what went on in Cork for far too long.

But all the clubs were full of cowards who wouldn't stand up to the fearsome Frank Murphy. It's not their fault.

INDIANA

Quote from: orangeman on March 10, 2009, 11:23:47 AM

In the context of this thread he's right. The clubs can't exactly start the cry me a river sob stories at this stage, as they haven't bothered to do anything about it until now. The Gaa since its inception has always been a democratic organisation, simply that the clubs hadn't exercised it up until now. There was nothing to stop any of the meetings that took place in the last week in prior years, except willpower.
I lived in Cork for a number of years , the hold that soccer has over the the city is substantial and with munster rugby being such a force these days hurling is largely a seasonal event in the city with many of the city clubs on their knees. This is largely where the mob element that have been hounding Gerald over the last week have come from. Maybe the clubs regaining power will help the GAA gain some sort of a foothold back in the city, because its on the floor at the moment.
But i wouldn't be so sure , I encountered a lot of people in Cork City who'd talk the talk as regards the Gaa but ask them to put time into it and they were quite happy to let the current incumbents in the county board do it as they couldn't be arsed. Hopefully these people will have changed their attitiudes sufficiently to take up the mantle because they will have to now. There is far more of a pro-active attitude in Cork among the junior clubs in the far reaches of the county they'd be be better off looking for future county board members there.

orangeman

Indiana -

The protestors who were shouting "FRANK MURPHY OUT" reminded me of the type of protests that you would see round a soccer club with protestors looking for the removal of the manager or the club chariman. They're very like a soccer crowd alright. Noticeable also that they didn't pay in with most of them going back to the pub to watch Arsenal. But the whole saga will be welcomed by a lot of people who are strapped for cash at the minute. All you have to get into a game now is go up and abuse / threaten some poor old pensioner who's doing the turnstiles and you get in for nothing. It seemed to work last week anyway.

This form of protest, with "fans" calling for the manager' head after a match is something that the Cork people might just have to get used to.

As somone on here said yesterday, you should be very careful what you wish for, as you just might get it.

AZOffaly

ORangeman. Are the clubs, repeat the CLUBS, voting with or against the county board on this issue? Are the clubs basically saying that the CB does not speak for them, nor indeed reflect their voting instructions?

That's the main issue here, and the comments about irrelevant things like lads with bullhorns at matches are not any use.

orangeman

AZ - This dispute kicked off in October - the clubs have had nuerous votes at CB meetings on this issue - you know the outcomes so far - landslide victories for Mc Carthy and the CB -

Now after the media frenzy, the threats ( some of violence ), the marches, the protests, the mass hysteria, the anarchy that now reigns, the "FRANK OUT NOW" chants, the press conferences and last but not least, the 3 defeats in the national league, the clubs have done an about turn on the issue.

The comments about the militants are far from irrelevant I can assure you as public opinion which was with Mc Carthy as recently as 6 weeks ago ( I refer you to the article I posted yesterday by Vincent Hogan in late January 2009 ) has now swung against the county board and by association Mc Carthy. Remember it wasn't Mc Carthy's head the protestors were shouting on Sunday - it was Frank's.

The clubs' minds have changed in a short space of time.

It just shows how shallow some of their minds are if they can turn full circle in a matter of weeks. And who is to say that they won;t do another about turn. Nothing would surprise me about this crowd.

tyronefan

is it not up to the clubs to vote in a county board and then for them to appoint a county manager.

If the clubs are not happy with the county manager they should vote in a new county board and let them do their job. It is not up to the clubs to fire the manager.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: heffo on March 10, 2009, 10:37:04 AM
Has Donal given him the nod officially?

I have it on reasonable authority that big Ger has been waiting in the wings to take up his new post since day 1 of this debacle.

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on March 10, 2009, 12:22:17 PM
AZ - This dispute kicked off in October - the clubs have had nuerous votes at CB meetings on this issue - you know the outcomes so far - landslide victories for Mc Carthy and the CB -

Now after the media frenzy, the threats ( some of violence ), the marches, the protests, the mass hysteria, the anarchy that now reigns, the "FRANK OUT NOW" chants, the press conferences and last but not least, the 3 defeats in the national league, the clubs have done an about turn on the issue.

The comments about the militants are far from irrelevant I can assure you as public opinion which was with Mc Carthy as recently as 6 weeks ago ( I refer you to the article I posted yesterday by Vincent Hogan in late January 2009 ) has now swung against the county board and by association Mc Carthy. Remember it wasn't Mc Carthy's head the protestors were shouting on Sunday - it was Frank's.

The clubs' minds have changed in a short space of time.

It just shows how shallow some of their minds are if they can turn full circle in a matter of weeks. And who is to say that they won;t do another about turn. Nothing would surprise me about this crowd.

Orangeman. We were told by people way back that the club delegates etc were not voting as per their instructions from the clubs, or that these issues were not allowed go to clubs for discussion in the first place.

Certainly I would have assumed that the County Board had a mandate to do what they were doing. It is now apparent that they do not, and did not. That is the issue.

The County Board Executive must go.

The GAA

orangeman

AZ - If what you're saying is true then the first people to go should be the club delegates and the system of club delegates and instead revert to the standard system where every club has a vote / delegate.
The club delegates vote on who is elected to the county board. They in effect form the county board. The chairman, secretary and all the other positions are filled by Cork people, not people from Kerry or Waterford - they're their own people - fellow club memebers etc.
How come the clubs have sat back and appeared happy with the way Cork GAA has been administered for the whole of Frank's reign which I believe extends to 30 years ?
How can you have a landslide in October, November, December and January and then have a complete change in February and March ???.

The truth is that the average club member out there just wants to see the best 15 out playing for Cork and the thing that has hurt most is the preceived relegation to division 2 which would be the biggest insult of all.

orangeman

Quote from: tyronefan on March 10, 2009, 12:25:44 PM
is it not up to the clubs to vote in a county board and then for them to appoint a county manager.

If the clubs are not happy with the county manager they should vote in a new county board and let them do their job. It is not up to the clubs to fire the manager.

100% agreed - the clubs can decide who it is they want on the county board - same in every CB all over Ireland - they had an AGM in December and had elections etc same as everybody else.

"It is not up to the clubs to fire the manager" - 100% agre with you there - neither is it up to the 2008 panel who will by this weekend have gotten rid of ther manager. This can be dressed up all you like but the bottom line is that the 2008 panel with the help of the journalists, bullying tactics, mob rule, abuse of volunteers manning turnstiles and threats of all kinds have succeeded in bringing the clubs in behind them and Mc Carthy's position is now untenable.

The players have also succeeded in ensuring that they can get rid of any manager they don't like from here on in. Is that what the clubs have voted for ?? I don't think so. But so far they haven't copped on to this yet. But they will, as soon as the team lose and the manager will be out on his hole.