McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 09, 2009, 07:22:50 PM
Right so lads -

what's the agenda this week ?

Tuesday - meeting in the hotel with the chairmen and secretaries of the clubs -

Thursday - CB meeting. I expect an announcement to the effect that the strike is over and normal service will be resumed and the threats have worked ( again).

Anything else for the CB ?

What have the strikers planned for this week ? Anything ?

That's about it.
Apparently if you believe the rumours Gerald will resign in the next 24 hours, but I don't really believe that and they are just rumours. So we'll have to wait and see what'll happen.

orangeman

I fully expect Gerald to resign this week, at the meeting on Thursday night or maybe even before. I don't see how he can take much more of this. His life's been made a misery by all of this. His mother has just died recently and Sean Og kinda knew that he would have to give in when he asked him what he wanted all the hassle for at his time of day.

The tactics worked. Well done lads. Credit where it's due.

theskull1

Quote from: Reillers on March 09, 2009, 07:15:42 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 09, 2009, 07:09:24 PM
You have not always held the same view when it come down to what the players are doing this for

At the start getting rid of GerMcC only was good enough for you and the players
Then the arguement changed and it was about FM and how he single handedly has ruined hurling in Cork and it was time that he was removed from his position for the good (no survival) of the game. The players were the only ones standing up against him.
Now we've gone full circle and youre saying now that getting rid of Ger McC will do fine for the players and that FM can remain. And the players will be OK with that?

Is that holding the same view? I don't think so. And I hardly think it is a petty point. I've argued all along that the main protaganists have their own interests on top of all the other reasons why they have told us they went on strike. To back off now and leave "saddam hussian" still in power just doesn't make sense if you really are interested in the future of Cork hurling.

Things change. At one stage months ago, Gerald going would have been enough, but it was ALWAYS about the CB and their decision and it got to a point where the clubs came into this arguement and it was never going to be enough. It was ALWAYS about the CB's decision, mainly FM, it was always about him and his pety dispute. I never said getting rid of Ger Mac is fine for the players and I never once said at all that FM should stay. Where did I even come near to saying that. You're putting words into my mouth.

You have not acknowledged what's happened with the clubs at all yet just your petty nit picking on my posts.

It was not ALWAYS about the CB and their decision. For the past couple of months it has been about GerMcC, and how the CCB have let one man (FM) ruin Cork Hurling and that he needed to be removed if hurling was to survive. You've just said there that you never once stated that FM should stay....yet earlier you stated that that should be left for the clubs to deal with and that the player would be happy just to get back playing (your words your mouth). I thought you would have agreed that the players still had a noble role to play in making sure the job is finshed properly like?

I have already made comment on what the clubs are doing. The strikers populous agenda has brought about a mobocracy in cork as the reactionaries come out and have their say (Where have they been for the last 20 or so years is the question). But time will tell if that short term energy they've shown to date can be maintained and turned into a meaningful and positive change in the democracy in cork. Time will tell. I sense a time of tail wagging dog
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

!
Quote from: theskull1 on March 09, 2009, 07:31:35 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 09, 2009, 07:15:42 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 09, 2009, 07:09:24 PM
You have not always held the same view when it come down to what the players are doing this for

At the start getting rid of GerMcC only was good enough for you and the players
Then the arguement changed and it was about FM and how he single handedly has ruined hurling in Cork and it was time that he was removed from his position for the good (no survival) of the game. The players were the only ones standing up against him.
Now we've gone full circle and youre saying now that getting rid of Ger McC will do fine for the players and that FM can remain. And the players will be OK with that?

Is that holding the same view? I don't think so. And I hardly think it is a petty point. I've argued all along that the main protaganists have their own interests on top of all the other reasons why they have told us they went on strike. To back off now and leave "saddam hussian" still in power just doesn't make sense if you really are interested in the future of Cork hurling.

Things change. At one stage months ago, Gerald going would have been enough, but it was ALWAYS about the CB and their decision and it got to a point where the clubs came into this arguement and it was never going to be enough. It was ALWAYS about the CB's decision, mainly FM, it was always about him and his pety dispute. I never said getting rid of Ger Mac is fine for the players and I never once said at all that FM should stay. Where did I even come near to saying that. You're putting words into my mouth.

You have not acknowledged what's happened with the clubs at all yet just your petty nit picking on my posts.

It was not ALWAYS about the CB and their decision. For the past couple of months it has been about GerMcC, and how the CCB have let one man (FM) ruin Cork Hurling and that he needed to be removed if hurling was to survive. You've just said there that you never once stated that FM should stay....yet earlier you stated that that should be left for the clubs to deal with and that the player would be happy just to get back playing (your words your mouth). I thought you would have agreed that the players still had a noble role to play in making sure the job is finshed properly like?

I have already made comment on what the clubs are doing. The strikers populous agenda has brought about a mobocracy in cork as the reactionaries come out and have their say (Where have they been for the last 20 or so years is the question). But time will tell if that short term energy they've shown to date can be maintained and turned into a meaningful and positive change in the democracy in cork. Time will tell. I sense a time of tail wagging dog

THat's what all of this has been about. The reason the players downed tools was because of the way in which Gerald was reappointed by the CB!!
I've said that all along, so has everyone involved in this arguement.
I never said that FM should stay. I think the clubs need to stand on their own feet, that doesn't mean I think that FM should stay at all. You're putting words into my mouth that I didn't come near to saying at all. Obviously they'll want to see this finished but the clubs need to deal with club business.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on March 09, 2009, 07:30:44 PM
I fully expect Gerald to resign this week, at the meeting on Thursday night or maybe even before. I don't see how he can take much more of this. His life's been made a misery by all of this. His mother has just died recently and Sean Og kinda knew that he would have to give in when he asked him what he wanted all the hassle for at his time of day.

The new regime will be enabled on Thursday on a wave of mob pressure. Unlike the previous corrupt regime the new GPA driven executive will be hand picked from GPA friendly clubs and will enjoy the popular support of a supportive media.

Good, decent club members like Reillers will continue to have their head stuck in the sand and will not let any criticism of the new overlords near them.

A core of the new regime will continue to earn six figure sums and adorn every billboard between Dublin and Cork City and appear thrice daily in newspapers at sponsorship launches in Dublin, whilst at the same time bemoaning the fact they aren't committed to their clubs. The less high profile members of the new regime will be happy with the few scraps thrown their way in the form of a sponsored car or what not and quietly wonder to themselves why they stood shoulder to shoulder with their comrades when all they really wanted was to go out and hurl, yet now that they've gotten their way some of the more vocal lads are reigning it in and any member of the GAA who queries this state of affairs is routinely described as 'a rump of malcontents'

Good luck to Cork hurling - you should've been more careful what you wished for.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 09, 2009, 07:57:51 PM

The new regime will be enabled on Thursday on a wave of mob pressure. Unlike the previous corrupt regime the new GPA driven executive will be hand picked from GPA friendly clubs and will enjoy the popular support of a supportive media.

Good, decent club members like Reillers will continue to have their head stuck in the sand and will not let any criticism of the new overlords near them.

A core of the new regime will continue to earn six figure sums and adorn every billboard between Dublin and Cork City and appear thrice daily in newspapers at sponsorship launches in Dublin, whilst at the same time bemoaning the fact they aren't committed to their clubs. The less high profile members of the new regime will be happy with the few scraps thrown their way in the form of a sponsored car or what not and quietly wonder to themselves why they stood shoulder to shoulder with their comrades when all they really wanted was to go out and hurl, yet now that they've gotten their way some of the more vocal lads are reigning it in and any member of the GAA who queries this state of affairs is routinely described as 'a rump of malcontents'

Good luck to Cork hurling - you should've been more careful what you wished for.
Oh so they're all mobs now is it.
What have the GPA done to show that they are even slightly involved in it?
The GPA have given the players a voice that people like you, living 20 years ago, think that they shouldn't have, they represent players rights that a lot of fossil men don't think they should be entitled to, the age old shut up or put up attitude.
The GPA also have done more work with weak counties then the GAA has.
That said I wouldn't be the biggest GPA fan, Dessie Farrell annoys me on so many different levels. I don't see how any of this has anything to do with the GPA.
But apparently conspiracy theories live on.
Again you go on about player finances with no proof and none of your business.
And again you rambled on about opening papers and turning on tvs and going down the streets seeing the players everywhere. Where? On what? For what? I live in Cork and I can't remember a billboard with the players on it, the last one I remember is one with Corcoran on it and I can't remember ever seeing a Cork player in an add except Sean Og ages ago for Supervalue kids sports week or something like that, and again, what in papers because I can't remember any players in the papers advertising anything.
I can remember a Dublin player being in an add for a car I think, and I remember a Kilkenny player being in an add for a sports drink. But that's it.
And what billboards, and adds are you on about?  What players have gotten sponsored cars?

You gone on and on and bullshited your way through posts about players personal business and finances, so what are you on about. Back all of it up.  Because I'm curious as hell to know what media land you're living in.
"Heffoland" is it.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 09, 2009, 08:42:51 PM

What players have gotten sponsored cars?

I'll post this for the third time just for your benefit:

http://www.cavanaghs.com/NewsDetail.aspx?rowid=120390 - I believe that's Ben O'Connor picking up a shiny new sponsored car

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/cork-have-mastered-art-of-not-losing-131983.html

"Each of the starting 15 drives a sponsored car and a few of the subs have them as well; the team know their market value off the field"

Is this clear enough? ....

milltown row

Reillers on a completely different note, was there any Cork 2008 players playing in the Fitzgibbon final at the weekend?

heffo

I feel like an adult who's just told a child there is no such thing as Santa..

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 09, 2009, 08:51:31 PM

http://www.cavanaghs.com/NewsDetail.aspx?rowid=120390 - I believe that's Ben O'Connor picking up a shiny new sponsored car

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/cork-have-mastered-art-of-not-losing-131983.html

"Each of the starting 15 drives a sponsored car and a few of the subs have them as well; the team know their market value off the field"

No, you said you can't open a newspaper or go down the street or turn on the tv..etc. All you've done is post 2 articles from over one and two years ago.
Both about cars.

So no that's not enough, not near enough.

milltown row

Quote from: heffo on March 09, 2009, 08:55:06 PM
I feel like an adult who's just told a child there is no such thing as Santa..

carefull heffo, my wee girl sometimes looks over my shoulder while i'm ignoring her and would be devastated with that quote

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 09, 2009, 08:55:56 PM

No, you said you can't open a newspaper or go down the street or turn on the tv..etc. All you've done is post 2 articles from over one and two years ago.
Both about cars.

You asked who drives sponsored cars - I believe I've answered that quite clearly..

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 09, 2009, 08:59:48 PM

Both about cars.

You asked who drives sponsored cars - I believe I've answered that quite clearly..
Oh ok then, you just ignored the rest of us, and that was two years ago, and you don't know if that still is happening.

It also happens in other counties, wanna go whinge about them somewhere else?..thought not.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 09, 2009, 09:12:42 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 09, 2009, 08:59:48 PM

Both about cars.

Oh ok then, you just ignored the rest of us, and that was two years ago, and you don't know if that still is happening.

It also happens in other counties, wanna go whinge about them somewhere else?..thought not.

Start reading the newspaper every day - especially tabloids and see how many days per week a certain Cork hurler is in it plugging products.

Get yourself a hankie to dry the tears and type something along the lines of 'Sean Og sponsorship' or a variation of it into google - I would caution however to only do so if you're ready for it as you've had your head stuck in the sand for 300 pages refusing to believe anything..

Reillers

Quote from: milltown row on March 09, 2009, 08:51:51 PM
Reillers on a completely different note, was there any Cork 2008 players playing in the Fitzgibbon final at the weekend?

Some from the 08 team, Shane O Neill, Kevin Hartnett, Nash. O Neill was top class as per usual.
Some from the 09 team, Tadhg Og, O Sullivan...etc.