McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Despite the appauling weather a good 7/6000 plus turned up at the march, considering what was expected with the awful weather that was a great turn out, well estimate from me anyway. Marched for about half an hour. 
A lot refused to pay at the gate, the we're not giving those feckers our money attitude spread. But still a decent crowd turned up.
According to the CCB there was about 1,700 in the ground. Ya..well more then that there. Massive noise in the uncovered stand. And if the CB continue to try and convince that there was only that much there then it's still a hell lot more then the 09 turn out.

Des Bishop was there, Allen was there.

A decent enough turn out considering. Most thought that it wasn't a good idea going into the ground because, and I still don't think it was the best idea and people didn't go in there either. A lot of disorganisation, even the timing of it, there were a hell of a lot of matches on today which would reduce the expected number.

Still, a good enough day especially considering when I saw the rain I thought there'd be feck all there.

orangeman

1700 was a very poor crowd - I was reckoning on a massive crowd to support the march and the footballers - there's not that much interest in the thing really - most people are sick of it and only the diehards are left.

Any news on why the 2009 panel training is cancelled. Is the 2008 panel training still going ahead ??

Bud Wiser

Cork were never that good at going into grounds in the first place.  Did John Considine who is a Professor of Economics at UCC not do a study on GAA attendances based on the years 2000 - 2005 and from what I read of it there were 300,000 more gaels in St Tiernacs Park in Clones than there were in Pairc Ui Chaoimh during the same period.  Given that visiting teams, with the exception of Dublin, that would be expected to travel from Cork and Kerry and as large numbers would be unlikely to travel to Clones I have to assume that our fellow gaels in the north of our country are better at filling stadiums than Cork.  Therefore, the amount of fans from Cork who go to support their team, or in this case, do not go to support their team is not new to me, or is it reflected in the report by John Considine.

See: http://www.ucc.ie/en/economics/research/workingpaperseries/downloads/DocumentFile,32626,en.pdf
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Bud Wiser on March 08, 2009, 02:59:01 PM
I gave up on this thread a long time ago because it is the same rubbish that has been discussed for the last four months.
It is a bit late now to be introducing ethics to the thread and the insults and comments made about Gerald McCarthy should be of more concern than the responses they got.  On a constant basis, anyone that disagreed with Reillers or The GAA "did not know what they were talking about" "We were stupid" "We had no idea what is going on in Cork" "We were not part of it and basicly should mind our own business" and any reasonable attempt at debate by Dowling or Heffo was treated by snide comments.
Indeed. And saying that some posters are obviously 'young' or 'immature' when they offered their opinion, which just conveniently happened to be contrary to the Reillers/Donal Óg/GPA line. One post there yesterday from Reillers, which was aimed at anglocelt, if you only changed 3/4 words in it then it could easily describe his own stance. Bit rich crying about getting abuse when you've been giving it in spades on this thread for the past few months.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 08, 2009, 04:33:08 PM
1700 was a very poor crowd - I was reckoning on a massive crowd to support the march and the footballers - there's not that much interest in the thing really - most people are sick of it and only the diehards are left.

Any news on why the 2009 panel training is cancelled. Is the 2008 panel training still going ahead ??

..You really can't read can you.

orangeman

1700 you said - in the ground - 7 or 6 thousand according to you on the "march" - some refused to pay but went into the ground -

Were the shops not open today ?

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 08, 2009, 04:45:31 PM
1700 you said - in the ground - 7 or 6 thousand according to you on the "march" - some refused to pay but went into the ground -

Were the shops not open today ?

Is that what I said? So you can't read.

orangeman

So you can't read, can you ??

Were the shops open or closed today Reillers ??

Zulu

OM your last three posts are exactly the type that reflect very poorly on you, the ordinary GAA club member has clearly spoken in favour of the players. Club after club after club have voted in favour of the players and yet you continue to try and deny that the players have the majority, I always said that once the Cork GAA public make their views clearly known I'll accept their decision, how about you display a bit of maturity and accept it as well. It hardly matters who was right or wrong at this stage the Cork GAA public have spoken and they'll have to live with the consequences of that.

Bud Wiser

If you want to quote attendances, the table below shows that per county Cork have even a worse attendance record than the most remotest county in Ireland in terms of population.    So there is no point in saying that because of small attendances that the young lads are not getting support, much as the pro 2008 stikers would like to see them being bet out the gate.

Maybe someone should send the report to both Addidas and the Mayo County Bord and get them to send the 160,000 EURO up there where it would be recieved with respect.
The population of Laois is not even remotely near Cork and yet we had even more supporters at games.  Get Addidas to send us the money.  But please don't be quoting figures of support that are irrelevent

Here are the figures of each counties own supporters attendances, not made by Bud, Indiana, Orangeman or Heffo or anyone that disagrees with the view that I hold, that being, if the strikers are entrenched and do not want to play, then the young lads that do want to play should be supported.  It is not their fault they are caught in the middle.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

orangeman

To tell you the truth I was expecting a bumper crowd but when only 1700 turned up ( according to Reillers ) to the match and only 6/7000 went on the march, I was genuinely surprised given how pro player posters were talking about tides having turned and how the whole of Cork were against the CB etc - the march today didn't exactly support these claims.

The crowds at the hurling league matches were laughed at / ridiculed amid claims that a small turn out proved beyond doubt that the 2009 panel enjoyed little or no support.

Reillers now expects us to accept that as it was a bad day and there were a lot of matches on, that the crowd was exceptional.

You really can't have you're bread and eat it.

Tatler Jack

QuoteYou really can't have you're bread and eat it.

You know nothing OM! ;D In Reillersland everything is possible and having your bread and eating it is a God given right. Logic is only for people in Tatlerland. You seem to be expecting consistency in argument OM - you silly fellow!!

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 08, 2009, 05:05:38 PM
To tell you the truth I was expecting a bumper crowd but when only 1700 turned up ( according to Reillers ) to the match and only 6/7000 went on the march, I was genuinely surprised given how pro player posters were talking about tides having turned and how the whole of Cork were against the CB etc - the march today didn't exactly support these claims.

The crowds at the hurling league matches were laughed at / ridiculed amid claims that a small turn out proved beyond doubt that the 2009 panel enjoyed little or no support.

Reillers now expects us to accept that as it was a bad day and there were a lot of matches on, that the crowd was exceptional.

You still haven't got it right OM, I know it's hard but lets try reading it again.
I said the CB said there was 1700 (seeing as you clearly weren't getting it) which there was a hell lot more there, don't believe me, look at it tonight, and even if you do go by the official attendance, that's still more then double the 09 crowd.
There were games on today, but people mainly wouldn't pay at the gate, that was the problem.

OM you are a joke really.
Not one club in the county has voted against the players yet. And you think that that's irrelevant. The tides have turned.
And you still think that the tide hasn't turned. By a newspaper or something.

Bud Wiser

The bigger the crowd of marchers the bigger the slur that is being cast across the face of the GAA in general.  Most of us are no longer interested in what happens in Cork.  I was on a building site on Thursday and a lad was plastering a wall and another lad was asking him "are you playing hurling this year" seemingly after him being away for a year. He said, "Ah no, I am not going to bother, I am not fit and shur look at whats happening down in Cork anyway"   Ye are a disgrace to the whole GAA and Nickey Brennan should ban the whole f**king lot of ye for about five years.

Zulu

Quote from: orangeman on March 08, 2009, 05:05:38 PM

You could say the same for yourself and a few others around here i.e. the last crowd was primarily made up of shoppers. The size of the crowd at today's match is irrelevant, the votes been taken at the various clubs are not and they are indicating overwhelming support for the players.

This thread has argued the same points over and over again, it has descended into personal insults at times, one V one debates on peripheral issues and veered off into hardly related tangents but the Cork GAA public have spoken. There may be twists in this tale yet but trying to deny that the majority of the Cork GAA public isn't behind the players is frankly patethic and displays the worst flights of logic that this debate has sometimes entertained.