McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

But have things been that bad or is this just a pretext to justify the 2008 panel's behaviour? The only constant in the CB is Frank. One person and him making a bollocks of running a county all on his own and no one to question him for thirty years?

Now if that really is true then you're right indianna, a terrible shame on the Cork clubs.

Reillers

Dowling a page or so back you said when you first came on here I posted that my club wasn't behind the players, I would like to know where you think I posted this.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on March 05, 2009, 01:01:39 AM
Dowling a page or so back you said when you first came on here I posted that my club wasn't behind the players, I would like to know where you think I posted this.

Well I'll have a look if it makes you happy. In the meantime what about the Tomas Mulcahy question? Is he wrong too?

orangeman

Any other results from the EGMs ?

We've heard Nemo, Youghal - how many more are taking place this week / weekend ?

The GAA

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 04, 2009, 09:40:16 PM
Skull raises a good point there - if what looks a possibility comes to pass, that there is a full or partial clearout of the County Board, are the people there to replace them? Its all good and well saying ye'll cross that bridge when ye come to it Reillers but there's not too many willing and able people around these days. Sure there are plenty of willing people but any of these who are able are likely to be tied up with clubs and with less and less volunteers around these days, clubs will be reluctant to let people go to the county board. Its not going to make or break the whole thing but its a matter worthy of serious thinking all the same.

Also if the clubs decide to put this motion of no confidence in Gerald McCarthy to the county board it raises serious issues about the clubs themselves. People give out about the county board being 'muppets' etc but if their views are so far removed from those of the clubs they represent then the fact that the clubs have allowed delegates who are not doing what they are delegated to do to remain in the position is the club's fault, not the county boards. Either that or the clubs haven't given a crap about county board matters and just leave it to 'yer man', which is equally reprehensible.

If what looks likely comes to pass - that the clubs force the issue, Gerald McCarthy takes a walk, the 08 players come back and there is possible CB reorganisation - the clubs will be praised for taking ownership of the county board. Nothing would be further from the truth - that fact that they allowed this situation to perpetuate for so long is their fault moreso than anyone else, including Frank Murphy.

I agree with that.

Zulu

I got this from rebelgaa, but apparently all of these are confirmed, so I'll ask once again what are some anti-player posters arguing, it's a simple question and should be easy to answer?

Clubs that Voted in Favour of the 08 Players

Nemo,
Dillons,
Netowndhandrum,
Dripsey.
Grenagh (unanimous)
Argideen Rangers
Killbritian
Courcey Rovers
Valley Rovers
Liscarrol (40 to 2)
Lismire
Castlemagner
Dromtariffe (all unanimous)
Youghal 37-13
Clann na nGael voted in favour of the two motions.
Cill na Martra (unanimous)
Naomh Abán 19-1 pro-players
Barryroe (unanimous)
Clann na nGael
Cullen (unanimous)
Aghinagh in favour, only opposed by 1
Na Piarsigh (unanimous)
Castlemartyr pro-08 panel as well
Ballymartle 70 odd to 1 in favour of players.
Banteer 58 - 0 for players.
Lyre 58-0
Freemount
Millstreet 49-1
Macroom
Ballincollig

heffo

if what looks a possibility comes to pass, that there is a full or partial clearout of the County Board, are the people there to replace them?

To put this in context - the full time CCC1 & CCC2 Secretary recently went into semi-retirement - she had served for a number of years and was hugely competent.

After a thorough search, a replacement was hired and the previous incumbent went onto a three day week - new guy is in place and has experienced officers assisting him but after four months he's still (as you'd expect) learning the ropes.

If as expected at this stage, clubs keeps supporting the players motions, McCarthy walks, and there is a CB clearout - would there be the administrative experience in Cork to take over from FM et al? There are clearly a lot of passionate Reillers out there when it comes to supporting the IC senior team - how many of these are willing to volunteer as county board officers with upwards of 20-30 hours of unpaid work per week?

The GAA

With respect heffo, the "There'll be noone to run the county" argument doesn't wash.

even if there is a bedding in period with new volunteers - as there would be with any challenging post in any walk of life - i'm sure the good will would be forthcoming from clubs to allow for the necessary learning curve, particularly for people taking up the reigns to work on behalf of the clubswith the best interests of the county at heart.

I can't believe there will be a shortage of candidates but we can't know that either way now

INDIANA

how many of these are willing to volunteer as county board officers with upwards of 20-30 hours of unpaid work per week?

Will be interesting Heffo because I can guarantee you one thing some of the posters here wouldn't do it . I have done various similar roles at club level and it is a thankless task. and very time consuming.

The GAA

well you're a great fella then and the rest of us are good for nothing?

You love that big high horse of yours, don't you?

heffo

Quote from: heffo on March 05, 2009, 10:30:53 AM
if what looks a possibility comes to pass, that there is a full or partial clearout of the County Board, are the people there to replace them?

To put this in context - the full time CCC1 & CCC2 Secretary recently went into semi-retirement - she had served for a number of years and was hugely competent.

After a thorough search, a replacement was hired and the previous incumbent went onto a three day week - new guy is in place and has experienced officers assisting him but after four months he's still (as you'd expect) learning the ropes.

If as expected at this stage, clubs keeps supporting the players motions, McCarthy walks, and there is a CB clearout - would there be the administrative experience in Cork to take over from FM et al? There are clearly a lot of passionate Reillers out there when it comes to supporting the IC senior team - how many of these are willing to volunteer as county board officers with upwards of 20-30 hours of unpaid work per week?

I should've mentioned that the above post referred to Dublin.

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:39:26 AM

With respect heffo, the "There'll be noone to run the county" argument doesn't wash.

even if there is a bedding in period with new volunteers - as there would be with any challenging post in any walk of life - i'm sure the good will would be forthcoming from clubs to allow for the necessary learning curve, particularly for people taking up the reigns to work on behalf of the clubswith the best interests of the county at heart.

I can't believe there will be a shortage of candidates but we can't know that either way now

I think you're being too dismissive and underestimating whats involved - maybe Reillers can tells us the Christy Ring story again - the 'I'dve won eight more if it wasn't for the county board' one - lot of skilled work involved, lot of unglamorous work in the depths of winter away from the sunny days in Thurles

At this stage I expect McCarthy to walk/be removed shortly and for there to be a CB clearout - I just hope the passion among some of the people involved remains when it's no longer headline news - you never know, maybe Reillers might volunteer for a CB position - he certainly knows every which way how they went wrong.

The GAA

I don't for one second believe there will be any problem finding competent people to fill the county board posts

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:55:21 AM

I don't for one second believe there will be any problem finding competent people to fill the county board posts

I wonder how many people contested the CCC1 & CCC2 officer positions over the last five years in Cork?

I genuinely don't know, but I'd imagine the answer is zero

If so - do you still believe your comment above?

INDIANA

Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:45:13 AM

well you're a great fella then and the rest of us are good for nothing?

You love that big high horse of yours, don't you?

Would you do it then if you were asked? As for a high horse. If mine's high, one would need to scale Mt Everest to get near yours.