McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

And I have to say, looking at the "highlights" of the Galway match, it was pathetic. The team seemed to have gotten worse. The crowd was the smallest I've seen at a IC game..ever.

And when you put that aside, the 08 panel were training at Moureabbey there the other day and the difference of standard, even in training, (especially compared to Gerald Macs) is sensational.
Seanie McGrath really put them through their paces.
The likes of Ben looks really sharp. He should have a great year.
It's showing fantastic belief and dedication that these guys are training so hard waiting for the call. If ye saw the effort and work they're putting in at training a lone I think a lot of ye would think differently about them.

dowling

So your club is anti 2008 panel Reillers. Why didn't you just say that instead of GAA wasting his time and energy? The tide hasn't turned where you are in spite of your 'call to arms'. Why should it have turned anywhere else so badly? And would you think Nemo is a GPA club, with the footballers and that?

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 03, 2009, 12:25:55 AM
The crows was the smallest I've seen at a IC game..ever.

What have the size of the crows got to do with anything?

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on March 03, 2009, 12:53:14 AM
So your club is anti 2008 panel Reillers. Why didn't you just say that instead of GAA wasting his time and energy? The tide hasn't turned where you are in spite of your 'call to arms'. Why should it have turned anywhere else so badly? And would you think Nemo is a GPA club, with the footballers and that?

Can you not read. I said nothing of the sorts. I said that IF ONE MAN HAD HIS WAY. I never said for a second that they were anti players. But did you bother reading that, no. And that Dowling is why I was hesistant to tell you anything.

Try reading it, as difficult that might be for you, the next time and stop wasting my time.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 03, 2009, 08:26:08 AM
The crows was the smallest I've seen at a IC game..ever.

What have the size of the crows got to do with anything?
::) I meant crowd.

johnneycool

Quote from: Reillers on March 03, 2009, 12:11:46 AM
Lol. Looking at the results coming in from SGMs, Nemos just had theirs, Nemo voted tonight 185 to 0 in favour of the 08 panel. There's plenty more where that came from as well.

What was the wording of the motion put to the Nemo membership?

was it a vote of no confidence in Gerald McCarthy or Frank Murphy or both?

Quote from: Reillers on March 03, 2009, 12:11:46 AM
And when you put that aside, the 08 panel were training at Moureabbey there the other day and the difference of standard, even in training, (especially compared to Gerald Macs) is sensational.
It's showing fantastic belief and dedication that these guys are training so hard waiting for the call. If ye saw the effort and work they're putting in at training a lone I think a lot of ye would think differently about them.

Bloody hell, I got a lump in my throat reading that, are these lads eligible for intermediate hurling now?

orangeman

It's showing fantastic belief and dedication that these guys are training so hard waiting for the call

I really enjoyed reading that - it conjures up some great images and thoughts.  :D

Uladh

If Nmo have 185 GPA members within their club would that be a record?

muppet

This just highlights how polarised the argument is on both sides.

One unnamed club is assumed to be behind the CB therefore that is conculsive proof of their piety.

One named club is against the CB but that is proof of treachery & skulduggery.

Dowling that is not an argument.

As for Reillers, posting how well the 2008 lads are training is about as pertinent to the Championship as telling us how well Christy Ring is hurling in the great Croke Park in the sky.

My natural disposition towards meetings where every little thing that might threaten the chair gets ruled out of order means I don't believe the powers that be quite have the real power they think they have. You see any challenge to that power can be ruled out of order. But equally I think the ordinary Gaa punter has completely lost his/her patience with this squad of hurlers.

All revolutions start small and I don't think this should be allowed to continue much longer. Allowing a 2nd,3rd or 4th string does nothing for the Gaa at all. If the players strike/retire etc the rest of the Gaa should throw them out of all competitions until they resolve their differences.
MWWSI 2017

Uladh

Quote from: muppet on March 03, 2009, 11:20:20 AM
All revolutions start small and I don't think this should be allowed to continue much longer. Allowing a 2nd,3rd or 4th string does nothing for the Gaa at all. If the players strike/retire etc the rest of the Gaa should throw them out of all competitions until they resolve their differences.

In fairness muppet, if cork field in these competitions, irrespective of the quality of the teams, then the GAA can have no qualms.

What will eventually resolve this dispute is what talks to Croke Park - money.

Noone is going to pay to watch 3/4 string teams in the championship and that will hurt the pocket in a big way and Coke Park will not let that happen.

johnneycool

conversely

One unnamed club is assumed to be behind the CB therefore that is conculsive proof that they are in the pocket of FM

One named club is against the CB but that is proof of their vision and openmindedness in seeing that the 2008 panel are fighting the good fight for the greater good of Cork hurling and football.

theskull1

And I have to say, looking at the "highlights" of the Galway match, it was pathetic. The team seemed to have gotten worse. The crowd was the smallest I've seen at a IC game..ever.

Reillers you obviously have an over-exposure to pure awesomeness! Stop drooling will ya  ;D

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

muppet

Quote from: johnneycool on March 03, 2009, 11:40:16 AM
conversely

One unnamed club is assumed to be behind the CB therefore that is conculsive proof that they are in the pocket of FM

One named club is against the CB but that is proof of their vision and openmindedness in seeing that the 2008 panel are fighting the good fight for the greater good of Cork hurling and football.

Like I said, polarised logic no matter which way you twist it.

Time for the rest of the Gaa to force a conclusion. Throw them out of all competitions, lock them all in Martin Cullen's helicopter (preferably with Martin Cullen at the controls) and fly them along the cliffs of Moher until a solution is found.

MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Clonakilty GAA club will be making contact with the chairmen of all junior, intermediate and senior clubs inviting them to attend a meeting in Clonakilty Community Hall on Friday night at 8.30pm.

The meeting is being arranged to debate the current stand-off between the 2008 playing squad, manager Gerald McCarthy and the Cork County Board.

There is concern within GAA circles in the county that clubs are losing their voice at county board level and this meeting is aimed at giving the clubs an opportunity to debate and air their views.

There was a strong turn-out at a recent meeting organised by the players for club chairmen but this latest meeting has been convened without any input from the 2008 squad or the county board.

dowling

Re
Quote from: muppet on March 03, 2009, 11:20:20 AM

This just highlights how polarised the argument is on both sides.

One unnamed club is assumed to be behind the CB therefore that is conculsive proof of their piety.

One named club is against the CB but that is proof of treachery & skulduggery.

Dowling that is not an argument.

As for Reillers, posting how well the 2008 lads are training is about as pertinent to the Championship as telling us how well Christy Ring is hurling in the great Croke Park in the sky.

My natural disposition towards meetings where every little thing that might threaten the chair gets ruled out of order means I don't believe the powers that be quite have the real power they think they have. You see any challenge to that power can be ruled out of order. But equally I think the ordinary Gaa punter has completely lost his/her patience with this squad of hurlers.

I understand where you're coming from Muppet and maybe reillers delay in answering and GAA and Zulu projecting a different meaning clouded the question and eventual response. And I say response because it's not an answer. Frank Murphy controls the county and now also one person controls reiller's club. Could this also be Frank Murphy? Here's what reillers said and remember this on the back of continually telling us that the tide had turned in favour of the 2008 panel.

"I mean the opinions split, the SGM has been shot down because of a praticular member wont say who..not the nicest person you'll ever meet. If a certain someone has his way it'll probably go against the players because of his antics, motions thrown out because of being incorectly worded and crap like that. But that's as much to be said really for now. The SGM's been delayed all ready.
If it was called now of the genuine club members it'd probably get the backing for the players. But I don't know.
It's split because despite having a certain character at the club we also have two IC players as well."
[/quote]

There's no definte answer in that but I'm inclined to believe reillers is putting a spin on the situation and I'd be very surprised going by what he said previously so many pages back and how he's addressed this if the 2008 panel could expect support from his club. The only reasonable  conclusion to be made in any of this and to which you alluded is that the county is bitterly split and it's not 90 - 10 either way, it's split down the middle and to be honest there's no real way of knowing who has how much support. But what reillers, taking his lead from the 2008 panel has done is put a spin on the support issue. For instance according to him the panel's meeting with club chairmen couldn't have gone better. Yet what do we really know about the meeting? Very little. But we do know that a percentage there didn't support the panel and a large percentage of clubs weren't even represented.
And that's what's been going on all along. And if you're dealing in spin you're not dealing with the real issues. To try to confront everything reillers was saying I was questiong how he could claim such a big turnaround in support if his own club hadn't even come round to his way of thinking.

As for Nemo I'm just making a point that some clubs because of their nature will automatically be inclined to lean one way or the other and No doubt there will be clubs who will automatically lean against the 2008 panel. It happens in all counties.
And all these points show, not how polarised the arguments are on both sides, but how polarised both sides are in the argument.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, The only way I see this to be resolved satisfactorily for Cork is for the 2008 panel to pull back. That's not because I disagree with them and think they should climb down, I think it's the only way they could hope to get credit from those opposing them and thus limit the bitterness in all this. They can push on and they might win the battle but the war for all Cork has already been lost, it's just a question now of the extent of the casualties.
And I think the panel have inadvertently brought this situation about because they didn't think their strike would take long and have just now become entrenched.

"We never had the luxury of a blank sheet where we could plan a strategy or even close to it."  Donal og